Start by marking “One Hit Wonderland” as Want to Read:
One Hit Wonderland

One Hit Wonderland

It's 1988 and radios across the land blast out the Top Ten hit 'Stutter Rap' by Morris Minor and the Majors. The man behind the fake moustache is Tony Hawks.

Fast forward to the 21st century and those heady days of pop stardom are a distant memory. That is, until it is suggested that Tony is just another One Hit Wonder. Really? We'll have to see about that ...

For two years
Published July 3rd 2003 by Ebury Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about One Hit Wonderland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Hit Wonderland

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverThe Year of Living Biblically by A.J. JacobsThe Know-It-All by A.J. JacobsA Year at the Movies by Kevin MurphyWalden by Henry David Thoreau
Memoirs of Experiments
28th out of 105 books — 47 voters
Chronicle in Stone by Ismail KadareLibri i bardhe by Enkelejd LamajBroken April by Ismail KadareThe General of the Dead Army by Ismail KadareDoruntine by Ismail Kadare
Albanian Books
100th out of 108 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Soho_black
Jan 17, 2015 Soho_black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, owned-books
In the life and career of Tony Hawks, a couple of periods stand out as being highlights. In recent times, after a career as a comedian, he accepted a couple of stupid bets, firstly to hitchhike around Ireland with a fridge and later to play the entire Moldovan football team at tennis. It is not so much these events that were to be the highlights, but that he was able to write a book based on each of them. And very funny and well written books they were, too.

However, well before this, there was M
Mike Steven
If you're a fan of Dave Gorman's books then this is the sort of thing that you will enjoy. I'm sure that someone will point out that Tony Hawks was doing the 'zany bet/travel writing' genre first but I know that Dave Gorman has been popular in the last few years and the comparison stands.

Basically, Tony Hawks had a comedy hit record in 1985 with 'Stutter Rap' and appeared on Top of the Pops performing it. In 2002, he meets an attractive woman at a dinner party and they have a drunken bet that he
Twobusy
Sep 19, 2010 Twobusy rated it it was ok
This is, of course, Tony Hawks the British writer/comedian, not the skating icon. If you've ever read "Round Ireland With A Fridge," you know what wonders he's capable of rendering — and like that book and its follow-up "Playing Tennis with the Moldovans," this one features Hawks making a stupidly ambitious bet and then setting out with absolutely no self-consciousness to succeed. In this case, Hawks bets that he can record a Top Ten single. Top Ten... anywhere. Which leads him to Nashville, the ...more
Carron Brown
May 18, 2016 Carron Brown rated it liked it
I warmed to the bet as I read on, and giggled at many parts. Tony is truly off his trolley. I loved the Norman Wisdom part of the book - a grand finale! Tim Rice playing a plastic saxophone?!
Tim Corke
My first of several Tony Hawks books and on the account of this one, cannot wait!! Follow his journey to Nashville, the Sudan, Holland, Romania and finally Albania to complete another ridiculous bet. This time, following on from his 80s one hit wonder, he was wagered that it couldn't be repeated and that he couldn't have a song in the charts again.

After jamming with local musicians in Texas, recording children's voices in the Sudan and a chance encounter with knights of the realm, this bet was c
Abigailann (Abigail)
Aug 06, 2013 Abigailann (Abigail) rated it really liked it

Witty and funny, you never know where this book will go next. I just love the way Tony Hawk's mind seems to work, taking the impossible and making it possible in the most unbelievable way.

Sometimes its hard to believe that any of this is real. Its not all down-hill sailing but, even during the uphill passages, this book never ceases to provide good reading. The most entertaining part is saved right to the end, but you won't regret reading the rest to get there.

This isn't the best Tony Hawks
Nadima El-khalafawi
Apr 24, 2015 Nadima El-khalafawi rated it really liked it
Tony Hawks is just hilarious!!!
Robert
Nov 24, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing
Loved this. As good as his other books do easy to tead
Turi
Apr 18, 2009 Turi rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how I missed this 2002 book by Tony Hawks - I read all his other stuff pretty much as soon as it came out. Another journey trying to win a madcap bet, this one surrounding writing a hit song. Hawks' excellent humor, combined with his penchant for surreal situations make for a really fun read.
Pj
Jun 19, 2012 Pj rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor, memoir
I enjoyed it and owe to it a good number of the authors I currently enjoy. It is a facinating book in which Tony has to get a hit song somewhere in the world within a certain period of time. I like Hawks' humor and the way he also takes time to highlight the good and interesting things in the world.
Robin
Nov 19, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing
The book is so deliciously Tony. He's that weird friend you have who does crazy things, but taken up a few levels. As usual, this concerns a bet - that he couldn't have a top 20 song in any country in two years. The story of his struggles were funny. I love tony Hawks.
Sho
I quite like Tony Hawks (I've read 2 now) and his writing style. But I'm not sure that I would go out of my way to get any more of his books than are already in my possession right now.

But I can't put my finger on what's missing.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I very much enjoyed A Piano in the Pyrenees but all the other books by Hawks I have read have been a disappointment. One Hit Wonderland was alright but I just didn't find it very funny. I actually ended up skimming through the book...
Godzilla
Jan 08, 2008 Godzilla rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
Yet another bet, this one I only read because it was bought for me. This time our Tony has to have a number one hit single somewhere in the world.

To be honest I didn't care too much if he succeeded or not. Sorry Tony.
Derek Baldwin
Why did I bother reading 100 pages of this? Barely amusing, a stupid premise, poorly written (and badly proof-read too), a waste of time. And no mention whatsoever of skateboarding. Whatever.
Edward Davies
Such a funny book, and the presence of Norman "Mr Grimsdale" Wisdom made this a pleasure from start to finish. Fans of Hawks previous books will be pleased to know that this is even better!
Roger
Mar 22, 2012 Roger rated it really liked it
I was bought this as a present and am sure I would never have read it otherwise. It has some hilarious moments ... I love the country hits titles.... a recommended holiday read.
Mo
Apr 26, 2008 Mo rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Hawks describes how he tries to get a hit in a country somewhere in the world. Funny book, mostly because of Hawks' self-deprecating sense of humour.
Emily
Feb 21, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Quite entertaining, but the premise was a bit contrived. Still, Tony Hawks is an entertaining enough chap.
Denis
Apr 20, 2010 Denis rated it liked it
Not as good as his book where he hitched hiked around Ireland with a small refrigerator.
Stefan
Aug 09, 2011 Stefan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story, where you can learn so much about music. And stupid bets...
Virginie
Dec 03, 2007 Virginie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like British humour!
Shelves: non-fiction
This guy is crazy, we knew it and this 3rd book confirms... :-))
Paul
Nov 12, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
OK, a bit more serious than some of his other adventures.
Wyatt
Jul 18, 2008 Wyatt rated it it was amazing
I'm just sad that I've run out of Tony Hawks books to read.
Katie
Apr 01, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
Very funny but not as good as his other books.
Nose in a book (Kate)
Mar 08, 2013 Nose in a book (Kate) rated it really liked it
Reviewed for my student paper.
Graham Watkins
Jun 06, 2013 Graham Watkins rated it liked it
Pretty funny, I enjoyed it
Clark Guo
Clark Guo rated it it was amazing
Petra
Petra rated it it was ok
P.J. Taylor
P.J. Taylor is currently reading it
  • Dave Gorman's Googlewhack! Adventure
  • Extreme Frontiers: Racing Across Canada from Newfoundland to the Rockies
  • Return Of The Timewaster Letters
  • The Full Montezuma
  • Where Did It All Go Right?: Growing Up Normal in the 70s
  • It's All Greek to Me!: A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina--and Real Greeks
  • Martin Johnson Autobiography
  • Full Circle
  • One Foot in Laos
Tony Hawks, is a British comedian and author, famous for his Quizotic travel accounts undertaking bizarre wagers with friends. Hawks performs stand-up comedy, and is a regular on TV and radio panel games in the UK, including I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, Just a Minute, The Unbelievable Truth and Have I Got News for You, although he first came to prominence as one of two resident performers — the oth ...more
More about Tony Hawks...