Start by marking “Daddy Was the Black Dahlia Killer: The Identity of America's Most Notorious Serial Murderer--Revealed at Last” as Want to Read:

2.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  189 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
It is one of the most enduringly fascinating crimes in American history. On January 15, 1947, passersby made a grisly discovery in a vacant lot in Los Angeles: the body of a naked young woman, cut in two, and savagely mutilated. The victim was identified as Elizabeth Short, a struggling Hollywood actress. Nicknamed the Black Dahlia by a headline-hungry press, her lurid dem ...more
Published August 1st 1995 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Daddy Was the Black Dahlia Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daddy Was the Black Dahlia Killer

Niki
Sep 22, 2012 Niki rated it it was ok
Janice Knowlton's story is (was) most surely one of "false memory syndrome". I picked up this book on a Dahlia reading craze knowing the likely-hood that this book would have "the answer" was slim to none. I was of course, right. There were way too many inconsistancies with what we already know about the Black Dahlia Murder for anything she writes about to be fact.

That being said, I found this book fascinating as someone who is studying to be a clinical psychologist. The amount of emotional di
Anastacia
Sep 28, 2012 Anastacia rated it did not like it
This is a sleazy book about the "true" accounts of Janice Knowlton's fathers murder of Elizabeth Short aka Black Dahlia. This unsolved murder has spawned many novels, true crime books and movies/tv shows. This book is a disturbing read if any of it is true. The author apparantly was outed as a fraud and maybe her father was a sex offender, but this is really a bizarre book.
Jennie
Mar 29, 2015 Jennie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: True Crime fans/ Black Dahlia obsessed
One star for the title alone. Fabulous title. Appparently, the author (now deceased) had some severe emotional issues. Let's just leave her be.

There is no way the stuff in the book could have happened as she claims...lots and lots of inconsistencies and impossibilities.

But, wow, what a title, huh?
Alex Severin
Feb 08, 2011 Alex Severin rated it liked it
Shelves: the-black-dahlia
This woman's story is completely fascinating.

I personally believe that Janice Knowlton is suffering from False Memory. I do believe, however, that she suffered abuse, but I do not believe that the Black Dahlia connection is real. It's not that I think she is lying, I just think her fractured psyche is attempting to make sense of the abuse she suffered and is linking it to something that was prominent in the news during that time.

Nevertheless, if you're into the whole Black Dahlia thing (and I
Heather
Mar 22, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
Not a good book at all. It would've been better if I came at it to read it as just a fictional novel--as a "true" story, it's terrible. The author's number one claim throughout the entirety of the read is, "My dad was a total f*cking psychopath, and all this graphic stuff really happened...but all the evidence to prove it has either been lost over time (such as her supposed documents to show she was absent from school due to her father taking her on his killing sprees with him), or changed by th ...more
Gracie
Nov 03, 2015 Gracie rated it it was ok
Obviously this woman has some issues to work out so I'll leave my critique of her alone.

I think that a lot of their "hard" evidence supporting her claims is just too broad to be convincing. The main things they focus on are murders in the general areas of where the family was living at the times. But to say that every woman beat to death in the area was him is just a little on the vague side as (unfortunately) that's a pretty common murder method. And the parts that detail the Black Dahlia's
Fishface
Jan 22, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
A fascinating read! The author explains that an operation that changed her hormones around caused her to cough up the repressed memory of witnessing the murder of Elizabeth Short. I raced to buy this after seeing Oprah interview her. Very hard to put down and one of the most entertaining I-know-who-REALLY-killed-the-Black-Dahlia stories out there.
Michelle
Feb 11, 2016 Michelle rated it it was ok
This was a very hard book to read, not only because of some of the very graphic images of murder, but also because there is a lot of information and history and sometimes it was hard to keep up with who was whom and what relationship they had to each other. I think giving the history and background of people that only appeared briefly made it harder to follow. It is however and interesting story.
Sonia
Oct 27, 2009 Sonia rated it it was ok
I can't really decide whether or not I believe this is someone's pathetic attempt to cash in on one of the most notorious unsolved crimes ever or if this poor lady actually believes her dad was a monster. (And here I thought I had parental issues!)

In any event, I thought her recalled memories of watching Dad do horrible things were far-fetched and the entire theory circumstantial.

I do have a passion for true crime books and there was a lot of information regarding the Black Dahlia murder, but I'
Lindsey Hazlett
This is the only book I have ever started that I have been unable to finish. I have to give it 5 stars- it was fantastic, however, I couldn't do it. This is the easily most graphic book I have EVER read/heard of. Throughout the book, Janice knowlton is telling about her childhood experiences with rape and abuse. It was terrifying to read.
I picked up this book in intention of a gross murder tale. But, this book wasn't a murder tale. It was drowned in incest and rape.
If you're going to read this
Amanda
Aug 18, 2016 Amanda rated it did not like it
I bought this book for four dollars at a flea market. I knew what I was getting into (I'm obsessed with the Dahlia case, so will buy any book about it whether it's good or not), and even still, after reading it I couldn't believe this was actually published. This book is a joke. For those interested in Elizabeth Short's life and death, this book does not offer anything significant about the case, it's some very sad woman's overactive imagination in words. It's so bad it's actually almost funny.
Sandy Miller
Feb 21, 2012 Sandy Miller rated it it was ok
Holy crap what a terrible childhood the author had if this book is to be believed. Being based on "recovered memories" makes me a little suspicious, and maybe just the horror that is portrayed makes me not want to believe that any of it happened. Definitely not for the squeamish or tender hearted.
Regina
Dec 27, 2013 Regina rated it really liked it
I gave this book 4 stars because it was a good read. However, I highly doubt that Janice Knowlton's father actually killed Elizabeth Short.
Karena
Oct 23, 2010 Karena rated it did not like it
If true... Wow and sick.. But I have my serious doubts... All seems a wee bit far fetched... And if untrue... A sad attempt at fame by making money off a poor lonely aspiring actresses terrible demise.
Maggie
Apr 28, 2011 Maggie rated it liked it
Shelves: used-to-own
I read this book years ago. I don't remember it clearly, but I remember I enjoyed it. I think it may have started my interest in true crime stories.
Dawn
Dec 09, 2008 Dawn rated it liked it
very sad,very explicit book...i almost wonder if its true...but then truth can be stranger than fiction
Jessica T.
Oct 24, 2012 Jessica T. rated it did not like it
LOL.. every father living in California at the time was Ms Shorts killer.
Susan
Mar 16, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
I like books like this. A background of a killer!!
Lupe
Sep 23, 2013 Lupe rated it it was ok
An interesting concept but a little forced.
Chong
Feb 05, 2008 Chong added it
Very dark and disturbing.
kathleen
Jan 26, 2008 kathleen rated it liked it
a bit goofy, but okay.
Keri Goddard
Feb 17, 2010 Keri Goddard rated it did not like it
Not Impressed
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Cheree Martin
Cheree Martin rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Natalie Kaye
Natalie Kaye marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Brooke
Brooke rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Karli Wilson
Karli Wilson marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Alexah Leigh
Alexah Leigh rated it did not like it
May 14, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Wicked Beyond Belief: The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper
  • Serial Killers (True Crime Series)
  • Nightmare in Wichita: The Hunt For The BTK Strangler
  • Serial Killers
  • Eternal Defilement: A Story of Betrayal, Abuse and Destruction
  • Night Stalker
  • The Still Before Dawn
  • Shots in the Dark: True Crime Pictures
  • Vice: One Cop's Story of Patrolling America's Most Dangerous City
  • Curbchek-The Box Set
  • Toxic Psychiatry: Why Therapy, Empathy & Love Must Replace the Drugs, Electroshock & Biochemical Theories of the New Psychiatry
  • 501 Most Notorious Crimes
  • Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H. Holmes, Whose Grotesque Crimes Shattered Turn-Of-The-Century Chicago
  • Scrag - Up the Hill Backwards
  • Full Circle
  • Cries in the Desert
  • Coroner
  • PREDATOR
A California native, Michael Newton has published more than 250 books under his own name and various pseudonyms since 1977.
He began writing professionally as a "ghost" for author Don Pendleton for the best-selling Executioner series and continues his work on that series today. While the majority of his published books have been novels—including westerns, political thrillers, and psychological susp
More about Michael Newton...