Start by marking “Nothing But You: Love Stories From The New Yorker” as Want to Read:
Nothing But You: Love Stories From The New Yorker

Nothing But You: Love Stories From The New Yorker

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Raymond Carver, Alice Munro, John Updike, Gabriel García Márquez, Mavis Gallant, Julian Barnes, Michael Chabon, Jamaica Kincaid, John O'Hara, Muriel Spark, Ann Beattie, and William Maxwell are among the contributors to Nothing But You: Love Stories from The New Yorker--assembled by Roger Angell, senior editor at The New Yorker. This is the first fiction anthology in more t ...more
Published May 5th 1998 by Modern Library (first published January 21st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing But You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing But You

Valerie
Aug 08, 2007 Valerie rated it really liked it
I bought a used copy of this (hardcover), and inside the cover are written dozens of "Happy 19th Birthday" messages to a girl named Jill. It looks like she'd never even cracked it open. So I guess Jill doesn't care about love.
Michelle
Nov 08, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of love & lovers of the short story
Recommended to Michelle by: Mara N. (former coworker)
This book is full of that shed-a-little-bit-of-light-on-love-for-me-would-you-please kind of insight and that's just the kind of insight I like.

Insight galore:

"Though of course we would always be strangers. Is that not the essence, the requisite of love?"(Edna O'Brien— from The Plan)

(INDEED!)

"Perhaps too little attention is paid to the necessary precondition of 'falling in love'— I mean the state of mind or place that precedes one's first sight of the loved person (or house or land). In my own
Chris
Jun 03, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Really, really wonderful. There were about 38 stories, and only about 3 or 4 that I genuinely disliked. Only about 7 that were "tolerable". The rest were genuinely interesting, or truly great. It was a bit long--they could've lost about a hundred pages for it to be perfect, I have a hard time reading that many short stories all in a row like that, and I knew that if I put it down between short stories for very long, I wouldn't pick it up again for a month. I'd recommend this to just about anyone ...more
Adam
Oct 08, 2007 Adam rated it liked it
Recommends it for: short storie
This is a decent collection but I am suprised it isn't more consistent - the theme is stories about love that have been published in the New Yorker. That's a pretty big list to choose from, and the choices are up and down. Some are very good but a lot leave much to be desired. The other thing that is strange is that the editor - Roger Angell - makes mention in his foreword that he hasn't just "picked love stories between a man and a woman", but really, that's what the stories are. Its a very dec ...more
Marla Glenn
Oct 23, 2015 Marla Glenn rated it really liked it
NIce selection.
Lani
Oct 16, 2012 Lani rated it liked it
Shelves: laundry-room
Interesting mix of stories from the New Yorker by a surprising number of authors I recognized. I liked that the definition of "love story" was so vague - every story doesn't have a happy ending, sometimes it's familial love, etc. It's an anthology and some stories were harder to get through than others, but most were short enough to not be a problem. I'm not a huge fan of short stories in general, but I enjoyed a few of these.
Donna Jo Atwood
Feb 09, 2012 Donna Jo Atwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the 38 stories in this volume came from the New Yorker magazine and were originally published there between 1965 and 1995. They are not all "classic" romantic love stories--some tremble on the very edge--but they all deal with love in some fashion.

The authors were a mixed bag of well-known and not-so-well-known names but the stories were all worth reading. I enjoyed several by authors that I normally don't care for.
Lisa
Nov 22, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
True to New Yorker tradition, this collection of love stories is anything but sappy or schmaltzy. From writers both well-known and obscure, they span the spectrum of relationships - friends, lovers, singles, couples, parents, children - and are, by turns, humorous, heartbreaking, poignant, shocking, gentle and fierce. A must-have.
Tammy Downing
Jan 31, 2014 Tammy Downing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful compilation of short love stories from the New Yorker magazine. These stories are not just romantic. They span all types of love and are wonderful to read.
Margo Brooks
Jul 19, 2009 Margo Brooks rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of short stories. Each story is a masterpiece and each is completely different from the next. Mytwo favorites were "How to Give the Wrong Impression" by Katherine Heiny--a story written in SECOND person--and "Yours" by Mary Robinson--a peice of short short fiction with a deep impact.
Chary
Jan 30, 2008 Chary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthology
My all time favorite anthology of stories! I keep this one close by for a good pick-me up. It was especially great for me while I was going through my dating phases. It'll make you laugh, cry, and sigh about ALL aspects of the damn dating/love game!
Christine
Jun 09, 2009 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, fiction
My husband is an avid reader of the New Yorker so I bought this book for him years ago but he never read it. Obviously he's not a romantic! It's a great read especially if you're a fan of The New Yorker.
Susan
Apr 06, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of short pieces on the subject of love and all its complications. SO many famous writers contributed, and it was a fun book to pick up and put down during busy times.
Sara Shaeffer
Aug 20, 2013 Sara Shaeffer rated it really liked it
Of course I'm going to read a collection that includes stories by (the fabulous and my current favorite) Julian Barnes, Woody Allen, Ian Frazier, and John Updike.
Caitlin
Dec 27, 2015 Caitlin marked it as never-finished
I got through about 2-4 short stories before this was due back at the library. It wasn't bad, I just didn't want it hanging out in my currently reading file.
Mary Hui
Mar 20, 2013 Mary Hui rated it it was amazing
My 3 favourites:
Blackbird Pie by Raymond Carver
How to Give the Wrong Impression by Katherine Heiny
The Kugelmass Epidsode by Woody Ellen
Michelle
Jan 17, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every type of love--lost, found, parental, paramour, marriage--is here, written by wonderful wordsmiths.
Tajma
Nov 29, 2009 Tajma rated it it was amazing
This collection is very nearly perfect! If you love New Yorker fiction, it is a must read.
Alex
Feb 21, 2010 Alex added it
Nothing But You : Love Stories From The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks) (1998)
Meredith Jones
Aug 15, 2009 Meredith Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my favorite collection ever
Meg
Apr 22, 2009 Meg added it
stories
Lori Ann
Lori Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Bob
Bob added it
Mar 20, 2016
Wynclef
Wynclef marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Nschelle17
Nschelle17 marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Carol Brownstein
Carol Brownstein rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Petya
Petya marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Wonderful Town: New York Stories from The New Yorker
  • Midnight Mass (Peter Owen Modern Classic)
  • The Best American Short Stories 1999
  • The Workshop: Seven Decades of the Iowa Writers Workshop - 43 Stories, Recollections, & Essays on Iowa's Place in Twentieth-Century American Literature
  • 20 Under 40: Stories from The New Yorker
  • The Peaceable Kingdom: Stories
  • A History of the Ancient World
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds II
  • Astronomy
The New Yorker is an American magazine of reportage, commentary, criticism, essays, fiction, satire, cartoons, and poetry published by Condé Nast Publications. Starting as a weekly in the mid-1920s, the magazine is now published forty-seven times per year, with five of these issues covering two-week spans.
More about The New Yorker...