Start by marking “Nothing But You: Love Stories From The New Yorker” as Want to Read:
Nothing But You: Love Stories From The New Yorker

Nothing But You: Love Stories From The New Yorker

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Raymond Carver, Alice Munro, John Updike, Gabriel García Márquez, Mavis Gallant, Julian Barnes, Michael Chabon, Jamaica Kincaid, John O'Hara, Muriel Spark, Ann Beattie, and William Maxwell are among the contributors to Nothing But You: Love Stories from The New Yorker--assembled by Roger Angell, senior editor at The New Yorker. This is the first fiction anthology in more t ...more
Published May 5th 1998 by Modern Library (first published January 21st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing But You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing But You

Valerie
I bought a used copy of this (hardcover), and inside the cover are written dozens of "Happy 19th Birthday" messages to a girl named Jill. It looks like she'd never even cracked it open. So I guess Jill doesn't care about love.
Michelle
Nov 08, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of love & lovers of the short story
Recommended to Michelle by: Mara N. (former coworker)
This book is full of that shed-a-little-bit-of-light-on-love-for-me-would-you-please kind of insight and that's just the kind of insight I like.

Insight galore:

"Though of course we would always be strangers. Is that not the essence, the requisite of love?"(Edna O'Brien— from The Plan)

(INDEED!)

"Perhaps too little attention is paid to the necessary precondition of 'falling in love'— I mean the state of mind or place that precedes one's first sight of the loved person (or house or land). In my own
Chris
Jun 03, 2013 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Really, really wonderful. There were about 38 stories, and only about 3 or 4 that I genuinely disliked. Only about 7 that were "tolerable". The rest were genuinely interesting, or truly great. It was a bit long--they could've lost about a hundred pages for it to be perfect, I have a hard time reading that many short stories all in a row like that, and I knew that if I put it down between short stories for very long, I wouldn't pick it up again for a month. I'd recommend this to just about anyone ...more
Adam
Oct 08, 2007 Adam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: short storie
This is a decent collection but I am suprised it isn't more consistent - the theme is stories about love that have been published in the New Yorker. That's a pretty big list to choose from, and the choices are up and down. Some are very good but a lot leave much to be desired. The other thing that is strange is that the editor - Roger Angell - makes mention in his foreword that he hasn't just "picked love stories between a man and a woman", but really, that's what the stories are. Its a very dec ...more
Lani
Interesting mix of stories from the New Yorker by a surprising number of authors I recognized. I liked that the definition of "love story" was so vague - every story doesn't have a happy ending, sometimes it's familial love, etc. It's an anthology and some stories were harder to get through than others, but most were short enough to not be a problem. I'm not a huge fan of short stories in general, but I enjoyed a few of these.
Donna Jo Atwood
All the 38 stories in this volume came from the New Yorker magazine and were originally published there between 1965 and 1995. They are not all "classic" romantic love stories--some tremble on the very edge--but they all deal with love in some fashion.

The authors were a mixed bag of well-known and not-so-well-known names but the stories were all worth reading. I enjoyed several by authors that I normally don't care for.
Lisa
True to New Yorker tradition, this collection of love stories is anything but sappy or schmaltzy. From writers both well-known and obscure, they span the spectrum of relationships - friends, lovers, singles, couples, parents, children - and are, by turns, humorous, heartbreaking, poignant, shocking, gentle and fierce. A must-have.
Tammy Downing
This is a wonderful compilation of short love stories from the New Yorker magazine. These stories are not just romantic. They span all types of love and are wonderful to read.
Margo Brooks
My favorite book of short stories. Each story is a masterpiece and each is completely different from the next. Mytwo favorites were "How to Give the Wrong Impression" by Katherine Heiny--a story written in SECOND person--and "Yours" by Mary Robinson--a peice of short short fiction with a deep impact.
Chary
My all time favorite anthology of stories! I keep this one close by for a good pick-me up. It was especially great for me while I was going through my dating phases. It'll make you laugh, cry, and sigh about ALL aspects of the damn dating/love game!
Christine
My husband is an avid reader of the New Yorker so I bought this book for him years ago but he never read it. Obviously he's not a romantic! It's a great read especially if you're a fan of The New Yorker.
Susan
This is a great collection of short pieces on the subject of love and all its complications. SO many famous writers contributed, and it was a fun book to pick up and put down during busy times.
Sara Larson
Of course I'm going to read a collection that includes stories by (the fabulous and my current favorite) Julian Barnes, Woody Allen, Ian Frazier, and John Updike.
Mary Hui
My 3 favourites:
Blackbird Pie by Raymond Carver
How to Give the Wrong Impression by Katherine Heiny
The Kugelmass Epidsode by Woody Ellen
Michelle
Every type of love--lost, found, parental, paramour, marriage--is here, written by wonderful wordsmiths.
Tajma
This collection is very nearly perfect! If you love New Yorker fiction, it is a must read.
Alex
Feb 21, 2010 Alex added it
Nothing But You : Love Stories From The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks) (1998)
Meredith Jones
my favorite collection ever
Meg
Apr 22, 2009 Meg added it
stories
Essam M. Al-Jassim
Essam M. Al-Jassim is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Mike Coleman
Mike Coleman marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Madeleine
Madeleine marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Katie Mcdonald
Katie Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Jamie :)
Jamie :) marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Ruben Félix
Ruben Félix marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Wonderful Town: New York Stories from The New Yorker
  • Too Far to Go: The Maples Stories
  • Midnight Mass (Peter Owen Modern Classic)
  • The Best American Short Stories 1999
  • The Peaceable Kingdom: Stories
  • The New Yorker Stories
  • Giovanni and Lusanna: Love and Marriage in Renaissance Florence
  • A History of the Ancient World
  • Alternate Realities (Alliance-Union Universe)
  • A History Of Western Society
  • The Points Of My Compass
  • The Wars of the Ancient Greeks
The New Yorker is an American magazine of reportage, commentary, criticism, essays, fiction, satire, cartoons, and poetry published by Condé Nast Publications. Starting as a weekly in the mid-1920s, the magazine is now published forty-seven times per year, with five of these issues covering two-week spans.
More about The New Yorker...
The Complete New Yorker: Eighty Years of the Nation's Greatest Magazine (Book & 8 DVD-ROMs) The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs The New Yorker Book of Cat Cartoons The 40s: The Story of a Decade The Big New Yorker Book of Cats