Start by marking “The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage” as Want to Read:
The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage

The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Those pesky dangling modifiers, split infinitives, and comma splices--they infect our spoken and written language with such frequency that even native English speakers find it difficult to determine what's right and what's wrong!

"The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage "shows you how to fix these everyday English language mistakes. With commonsense, easy-to-r
Published October 20th 2004 by McGraw-Hill

Be the first to ask a question about The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage

Zuzana
I was not at all enthusiastic at first (seriously? since when do we call everything from numerals to articles to demonstratives "adjectives"?!?!?). However, once I got over the authors' classifications (which made me feel like I must have studied linguistics on another planet, or in another time period, or both), I really appreciated the simplicity with which they were able to communicate stuff that must often seem really difficult to non-linguists (and maybe even linguists). They have some usef ...more
Natalie
This was the textbook for my grammar class, the first class on the way to obtaining certification in copyediting. It broke down concepts fairly well and was easy enough to understand, but as I discovered when using supplementary resources, did not go as in depth as it could have or left out what I thought was pretty important information. I'd still recommend it as a grammar refresher or for language nerds who like to nitpick.

Edit: THIS is my 1000th "read" book on Goodreads? How very. :/
Alisha
Aug 26, 2011 Alisha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any and everyone.
Shelves: reference
I read this for a class I took. The book is very accessible, easy to understand. It covers both the basics of grammar as well as the problem areas that are most commonly seen in certain writing situations. I will definitely keep a copy of this book on hand for reference.

I enjoyed the touch of wryness that could be found here and there. It kept the book from the dreaded "dryness" and reminded me that there were actual living, breathing, witty people behind the book. :o) However, this in no way de
Beth
This primer is very straightforward and clear in its explanations of what is correct and incorrect. It builds a great basic framework in Part I and then explores nuisances and complications in Part II. One of the better grammar books I've read. (Using this for an online editing course.)
TW Brown
This is a must for the grammarian. Not only does it have all the rules you need to be a better editor, but it also has a plethora of examples to help clarify when the words all seem to turn to mush on the page.
Margot
Excellent guide to English usage. My only complaints are that some sections from the later chapters seem to be essentially copy/pasted from the earlier.
Kara
Excellent book to have around.
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Anurag Yadav
Anurag Yadav marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Saba Khan
Saba Khan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Sanjeevkumarmeghani
Sanjeevkumarmeghani marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Hussain Mohammed
Hussain Mohammed marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Marie
Marie added it
Apr 12, 2015
Reva
Reva marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Jenn
Jenn added it
Jun 05, 2015
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Grammar and Usage in the Classroom McGraw-Hill's Essential ESL Grammar: A Hnadbook for Intermediate and Advanced ESL Students (McGraw-Hill ESL References) Practice Makes Perfect Advanced English Grammar for ESL Learners (Practice Makes Perfect Series) Practice Makes Perfect English Verb Tenses Up Close Practice Makes Perfect English Articles and Determiners Up Close