Start by marking “P Is for Pilgrim: A Thanksgiving Alphabet” as Want to Read:
P Is for Pilgrim: A Thanksgiving Alphabet

P Is for Pilgrim: A Thanksgiving Alphabet

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Now available in paperback, P is for Pilgrim presents the history and lore of Thanksgiving. From the lives of our early settlers, who set the foundations for our country's freedoms and ideals, to the background and meaning behind our celebrations of today, young readers will gain a renewed appreciation of this American holiday.
Published September 1st 2007 by Sleeping Bear Press (first published August 22nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about P Is for Pilgrim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about P Is for Pilgrim

Megan Nelson
Mar 30, 2016 Megan Nelson rated it really liked it
This book follows the story of Thanksgiving from A to Z and how we came to celebrate it. The story of Thanksgiving goes all the way back to the Pilgrims, who sailed to America from across the sea, and met Indians when they arrived in the "New World". The Pilgrims and Indians got along, and both groups learned a lot from the other (how to grow/harvest crops, etc.). This book describes different parts of that story using the alphabet, A to Z. "Thanksgiving Day is spending time to remember the past ...more
Janet
Thanksgiving and the concept of giving thanks is my favorite holiday and spiritual concept. This book is not one I can be grateful for. It is confusing in presentation, going from present day concepts about how we celebrate to facts about the pilgrims. Using the abc format the author is forced to make everything fit the mold. I just feel this title isn't coherent, the abc format makes one unable to formulate the info given into a knowledgeable core of info about the pilgrims.
Rosa Cline
This was a very beautifully done book; but be aware it is for older children not the younger ones. The illustrations were very nicely done. There is a detailed description on each page talking about History of what that letter of the alphabet is talking about. Then another part of the page is smaller description. This is what I read to my nearly 4 year old granddaughter and even some of that I edited what I read to her. But it was fun just looking at the illustrations.
Lyndy Stein
Jul 28, 2014 Lyndy Stein rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all, nonfiction
This is a beautifully illustrated book by Carol Crane that examines the lives of early settlers and the history of Thanksgiving. I love that it is an alphabet book too because each letter of the alphabet has a ton of information on the page. This would be a great book to use for a project a week or two before Thanksgiving. Students could each be assigned a letter to explore a little deeper to learn more about Thanksgiving.
Madelyn
Aug 31, 2015 Madelyn rated it really liked it
This book was actually very interesting to me. On top of teaching children about letters and the alphabet, they also get to learn about America. It's like two for the price of one. I learned a lot from reading this book and I was very intrigued. It says that it is for ages 5-7 which I felt was a little young, I would have felt like maybe 7-11 would have been more appropriate.
Javen Smith
Sep 22, 2015 Javen Smith rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely for grades 5th through middle school. This book has been one of my favorites that I have read so far! The author does a great job at putting the alphabet in sequential odder and then making the history of the pilgrims match with that particular alphabet. The illustration is fantastic and really makes the book that much more enjoyable!
Sally
Nov 27, 2015 Sally rated it really liked it
I love A-B-C books, and this is a great one for Thanksgiving. Beautiful illustrations, rhyming text, and additional information about the origins of Thanksgiving and its traditions.
Dolly
This is an informative, but somewhat scattered alphabet book that sort-of has a Thanksgiving theme. The topics that are covered are all over the place and on several occasions I wondered how the topic connected to the theme of the book. It's just not all that coherent. The narrative is a bit long as well, so we could only cover part of the alphabet at a time.

The illustrations are colorful and glossy, with realistic people and depictions that help convey the various topics. We enjoyed reading th
Thecajungirl
This book is a nice book to use with a preschooler through K. The illustrations are captivating enough to hold attention and the focus sentences are to the point and interesting and concise. The pages each contain side informative paragraphs that are detailed enough to help a middle school age brush up on the subject matter.
Rebecca Brandes
This book is PACKED full of information! There is a sentence that corresponds with the alphabet, but there is also extra information on the sides of the page. The facts help students gain a deeper knowledge of the time of Thanksgiving. Great book that can help differentiate learning!
Marilyn
Oct 07, 2012 Marilyn rated it liked it
A Thanksgiving alphabet book. Each letter has a detailed paragraph about something related to the history of the holiday.
Teri
Nov 25, 2011 Teri rated it liked it
Shelves: thanksgiving
Long--but you can choose whether to read the short rhyming verse or to read the elaboration.
Mary
May 03, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A fun way to learn about Thanksgiving
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 21, 2016
Tasha  Pedersen
Tasha Pedersen rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Melinda
Melinda rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2015
Amber Johnson
Amber Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Dianyse Baez
Dianyse Baez marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Abbie Anderson
Abbie Anderson rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2015
Gabby
Gabby rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Ariana
Ariana added it
Nov 23, 2015
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015