Start by marking “Design Your Self: Rethinking the Way You Live, Love, Work, and Play” as Want to Read:
Design Your Self: Rethinking the Way You Live, Love, Work, and Play

Design Your Self: Rethinking the Way You Live, Love, Work, and Play

Celebrated industrial designer Karim Rashid explains how to optimize all areas of life, aesthetic and spiritual, in this colorful, beautifully designed book.

Design wonderkind Karim Rashid, whose projects range from the Trump Towers apartments to Lacoste sportswear to the ubiquitous Umbra garbage can, prescribes an organizational and style overhaul in Design Your Life. In s
Published April 11th 2006 by Harper Design (first published March 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Design Your Self, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Design Your Self

Lisa
Jul 13, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
I'd say that this was a rollercoaster ride of a book, but I like rollercoasters. I found myself breezing through this book without even trying, which means I found it interesting enough to stick with to the end. I did find quite a bit of helpful information along with some ideas that really irked me. If you're rich, you don't need this book because it's just a rehash of what you already know-life rocks when you can buy whatever you want! But if you're barely making it, it can be a bit depressing ...more
Natalia
Apr 17, 2009 Natalia rated it liked it
I personally didn't agree with all of the ways this author/designer suggested on how one should reorganize their life. However, what I very much liked about the book is how it inspired me to make my own life everything I want it to be in all facets. The idea that we are all the designers of our own lives and we should take action in that role is appealing and motivating to me. I really liked the section on organization and that we should surround ourselves in all that we love and nothing less.
Brad
Feb 23, 2015 Brad rated it it was amazing
I bought this book in 2007. At the time I was living in Hong Kong and was in a sort of preparing-to-return mind set before returning to the USA. Though there are no Earth-shattering new ideas, the book is fun and has little nuggets of usefulness spread throughout. Rashid devides the book into sections: Live, Love, Work, Play. Within those he discusses design (of course), fashion, travel, sex, fitness, music and productivity.

Rashid is pretty opinionated about pretty much everything, which I found
Nada
Jan 18, 2016 Nada rated it liked it
Right, let's say that the book deserves 5 stars. I just had to take away two because of the pervert advice in the intimacy section. I am not just against bisexuality, public sex, and polygamy as mentioned in the book, I also gravely disapprove that such practices be advocated and admitted having been committed openly in a book. I find this wicked and scandalous.

Other than this, the book is innovatively designed. Very inviting to read and to spend a long time with. A mood booster, I have to say.
Bookaholic
Dacă nu ştiţi prea bine cine este Karim Rashid şi ce face el, această carte dezvăluie tot: de la ce are în dulap până la ce are în bagaj, ce loţiuni foloseşte, de câte ori merge la dentist, de câte ori face sex, de la ce magazine îşi face cumpărărturile şi, bineînţeles, care e viziunea lui asupra lumii în general şi a omului, în particular.

Astfel, Design Yourself devine o biblie trendy a cărei menire este să câştige cât mai mulţi prozeliţi convinşi că stilul lui Karim Rashid, de viaţă şi de crea
Nageen
Sep 03, 2015 Nageen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
In terms of what the book aims to deliver visually, I'll give it 5 stars. It involves you, for a moment enriches your visual capacity and is highly enjoyable. So in case you are bored or want some tips (though somebody else's opinions), this is the book to have. Of course if you are bit of nerd, you can always make your own notes and add in the art on the pages if you feel like making it a very personal copy.

however this is not to be confused with the content. you may think that the content is n
Sean Goh
Jun 10, 2014 Sean Goh rated it liked it
A quick easy read, with many applicable principles. An excess of 'shoulds' though, you have been warned.

In order to create something new, one must make every effort to detach oneself from references.

Do what you believe, and you will end up where you belong.

Sometimes a subtle change of perspective or a detail one might have overlooked makes all the difference.

If one is going to spend a lot of time with something (car, bed, laptop), it should be the best experience possible (and affordable).

**Soci
Kassin
Jan 04, 2010 Kassin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: design lovers, seekers
Recommended to Kassin by: Sandra Schloss
Clayton's mom got me this for my birthday this fall - Clayton heard it was good. It was.

It's a colorful, easy read with large font and quite a few pages with only a few words on them. I liked it because the format practiced what it preached - it was simple, to the point, and fun. It is broken down into several sections: Live, Love, Work, and Play, which is really all there is to life anyway, right?

It was neat to learn about the author, Karim Rashid, who is a famous product designer I of course
Flavia Nasrin
Interesting view of how to "set up your life" from a designer's POV and strive. I like the pop color in the book, the plastic cover and the pink, vibrant colours. The content is suitable to approach a clean living, highly functional & structured life...not bad if you are a chaotic person. Karim Rashid is an excellent designer in the pop age and his creations are certainly energetic and useful. His website, his book and his work are all coherent with how he views design and life.
Ryan
May 14, 2011 Ryan rated it really liked it
I re-read this reasonably often (at least once a year). Usually in a hot tub.

When I first read it, it made me think about how I might improve the quality of my day to day life.

As a direct result of reading this book, I started wearing more colors and tried to simplify my physical and digital lives. Perhaps at its root, the book espouses an intentional style of living in all facets of living. So that every thing we do in a day, every experience we have has some level of intent behind it, even if
Ghadeer
Sep 10, 2016 Ghadeer rated it liked it
the content was excpected from first page but i like his approach in analysing every aspect of ones life & it was so inspiring knowing how he struggled & been refused many times before being who he is now .it is so simple that it could be a small handbook rather than a big book .graphics are extraordinary vibrant colourful really reflects the content of the book.
Lucas Glenn Co.
May 08, 2016 Lucas Glenn Co. rated it did not like it
Dumb and preachy. Should have judged it by the cover and title.
Margot
Jul 11, 2008 Margot rated it it was ok
At first my interest was piqued by the colors and funky pages, but it turned out to be nothing but cover-fluff for more... well, fluff. His ideas on design and living seem appealing at first; talk of owning nothing you don't love and making everything an experience, etc. But he seemed to take it to the point of almost self-worship. If you aren't basking in a bohemian bliss of sensory input then life just isn't worth living. Schmeh. So I shall take from it what I can, and then put it happily back ...more
Rhapsodysufi Othman
Oct 09, 2013 Rhapsodysufi Othman rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-development
the book is okay, mean i be able to finish it even thought at some point i stop reading for 2-3 months before i'm able to get back and finish it again. it help me to think about my life, whether i'm doing my best for my life or to this point of my life, and what can i do i design my life again. there are some advice that i can use and there also some that make me think about it critically.

but the best part of this book is the design and colors. love it. and it really stray me away from the typi
Nesma
Jan 07, 2016 Nesma rated it it was amazing
Love it
LINDA
Jan 13, 2008 LINDA rated it liked it
Shelves: books
This was a fun book to read! Boldly colored pages with textare intermixed with pages with vaious graphics. This book is all about how you live your day to day life, and small things that you can do to make it better for yourself. After reading it, I am very inspired to organize my bedroom, and my workspace.
Awin Salim
Feb 07, 2013 Awin Salim rated it it was amazing
I'm not sort of fan of his designed 'pink is a new black'.As for me white might be a new black. However, I like his writing more which are highly positive in mind, all is well, bad is not so bad, dare to take risk etc. Modernist in principal like I wanna be! We're same Karim.
Kai Tan
Jan 23, 2013 Kai Tan rated it liked it
He talks about how important it is to spell check, yet i found 2 spelling errors in his book... I've never seen any spelling mistakes in books before this one. Also, interesting theories, though I wonder how many of his own theories he actually follows.
Sidra
Dec 26, 2012 Sidra rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book, loved the vibrant design. All of the things that the writer highlights is true to my own philosophies in life. life is simple yet sometimes we make it so complicated. I can see this as a book I will read yearly to remember.
Aja
Jun 13, 2009 Aja rated it it was amazing
This book helps me organize my life and think much clearer. Some people say it's overrated, I think it's awesome. Simple, to the point and an easy quick read. I think it may be time to read it again.
Letícia Bonfim
Sep 10, 2014 Letícia Bonfim rated it liked it
Esse livro é bom por conta da parte de organização da vida, porém grande parte do que ele diz que é organização parece se confundir com consumo. Gostei das listas no fim do livro.
Jackie
Apr 15, 2007 Jackie rated it really liked it
Simple, straight-forward. Rashid uses design theory to construct a minimalist life philosophy with the aim of optimizing or attaining efficiency, function, balance, and style in all areas.
rob
Aug 16, 2012 rob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
While I don't completely agree with everything in it, I enjoyed getting a different viewpoint on what's important and how to become the best version of yourself.
Alana
Jul 24, 2010 Alana rated it liked it
I don't always agree with Rashid about the best way to do things but I love the concept of designing your self and the structure of this book anyway.
Tan Chin
Mar 14, 2013 Tan Chin rated it really liked it
This book provides real good guidance on how to enjoy living by using the design philosophy.
Amy
Feb 08, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Great and fresh insights about all aspects of a person's life.
Cristina
Sep 10, 2012 Cristina rated it it was amazing
This book isn't only about all, it's about best at all :)
Talereader
Talereader marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Talereader
Talereader marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
silvia
silvia marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
  • Life in Rewind
  • What on Earth Happened?: The Complete Story of the Planet, Life, and People from the Big Bang to the Present Day
  • Absolut Book.: The Absolut Vodka Advertising Story
  • The Myth of Stress: Where Stress Really Comes From and How to Live a Happier and Healthier Life
  • 100 Habits of Successful Freelance Designers: Insider Secrets for Working Smart & Staying Creative
  • Graphic Design Thinking
  • The Prophet/The Art of Peace
  • A Designer's Research Manual: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and What They Really Need
  • An Apple A Day (Old-Fashioned Proverbs and Why They Work)
  • Visual Leaders: New Tools for Visioning, Management, and Organization Change: New Tools for Visioning, Management, and Organizational Change
  • Color Design Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Color in Graphic Design
  • Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic
  • Embracing the Wide Sky: A Tour Across the Horizons of the Mind
  • More Show Me How: Everything We Couldn’t Fit in the First Book Instructions for Life from the Everyday to the Exotic
  • Japanese Prints
  • 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse: Remake, Restyle, Recycle, Renew
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Serious Creativity: Using The Power Of Lateral Thinking To Create New Ideas
Karim Rashid is one of the most prolific designers of his generation. Over 3000 designs in production, over 300 awards and working in over 35 countries attest to Karim’s legend of design. Karim’s diversity affords him the ability to cross-pollinate ideas, materials, behaviors, aesthetics from one typology to the next, crossing boundaries and broadening consumer horizons.

His award winning designs
More about Karim Rashid...