Start by marking “Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)

Rogue (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  435 ratings  ·  23 reviews
They are the self-appointed protectors of the Federation. Amoral, shrouded in secrecy, answerable to no one, Section 31 is the mysterious covert operations division of Starfleet, a rogue shadow group committed to safeguarding the Federation at any cost. Six months before their ultimate battle against the Borg for the fate of Earth, Captain Jean-Luc Piccard and the crew of ...more
Published May 22nd 2001 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rogue

Imzadi by Peter DavidA Stitch in Time by Andrew J. RobinsonSarek by A.C. CrispinSpock's World by Diane DuaneMosaic by Jeri Taylor
Star Trek Books That Don't Actually Suck
60th out of 151 books — 73 voters
Imzadi by Peter DavidSpock's World by Diane DuaneUhura's Song by Janet KaganYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
149th out of 246 books — 172 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebekah
The Federation has a dark side it is called Section 31. There is a secret in the charter a secret organization outside the rule of law. This “agency” is first brought to light in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and then referred to by Star Trek: Enterprise. The novel Rogue by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin allows the world of The Next Generation to butt heads against it. Set in a flashback before the borg invasion but after the destruction of the Enterprise-D when the Enterprise-E is set to help ...more
Steve
This book tied together some episodes of Deep Space Nine, a bunch of published Star Trek books, some plot points from First Contact as well as at least five other Next Generation episodes. I found it enjoyable enough, but I think I would have preferred slightly more insight into what the enemies were doing. There were some rather abrupt character developments that I would have preferred to have been telegraphed or given some warning.
J
Apr 27, 2015 J rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans, Section 31 Fans
Rouge was a good book that I felt suffered from being something that Star Trek is not good at. Morally ambiguous.

The story revolves around the Geminus Gulf, an expanse of nearly 60 light years across. This area is almost devoid of anything noteworthy, a virtual desert in space on the edges of the United Federation of Planets and the Romulan Empire. The only oasis, the planet Chiaros IV.

Treaties between the two great powers have declared that neither side may claim this area until invited to do
Andrew
This was the first Star Trek book to have a homosexual character. I have no problem with that. But I was highly disappointed that the plot was very similar to the TOS Section 31 novel, Section 31: Cloak. Because of that, I can't give this book a good rating.

So, if you loved this book, you will probably enjoy Cloak.
Justin
While the twists and turns are great, at the end of the day, it's cliched.

This is how it always goes:

Senior secret agent finds a nice, impressionable junior officer for a mission. It's a recruitment drive and /or dangerous mission. The junior officer is all fired up.

The mission turns out south as expected but the recruit saves the day and yet sees just how amoral the senior spy and his agency are when they don't care who got hurt.

So they go Archer/Kirk/Sisko/Picard/ their original boss or mento
BookMarc
Q. What's brown and lies at the bottom of the Starship Enterprise's toilet.
A. The Captain's log!

My apologies for that beginning. :)

Very stylish cover. Hopefully I age as well as Patrick Stewart and still make women weak at the knees when I'm 70 years old. The back cover done a good job in making me pick this book in a veritable starship filling, array of novels that are available in the Star Trek: The Next Generation series. The title is just a tad too long though.

This was the kind of TNG novel
Derek Oberg
This was a good book. I really liked it. "Section 31" is a secret shadow government functioning within the Federation that sees itself as above the law. They justify their existence by claiming that they have the anonymity to take the morally grey courses of action that normal officers in Starfleet cannot due to their vaulted ideals.

This is the 2nd in a series of 4 books pitting Section 31 (a plot device from the series Deep Space 9) against other familiar Star Trek casts. In this book it's Cap
Angela
Set after the borg movie, Picard is thinking about all the good people that were lost. Particularly of one officer, Hawk. This brings us to a flashback about an incident with the Romulans and Section 31.

A decent story and good characterisation. It's nice to see the aftermath of the borg incident and how it affects the crew. A good read.
Peter Petermann
somehow i had expected that the book would be a bit more about section 31, and a bit less about the shiny picard knight saving the day... again.
Ian
Enjoyable Read. Good to see Hawk again!
Jenny T
While the plot was nothing earth-shattering (the Federation and the Romulans vie for an alliance with a world of apparently little strategic importance... (or is it?) by taking opposite sides in that planet's revolution.

However, we get another look at Section 31, a super-secret Intelligence group that works within Starfleet but outside Starfleet's rules and regulations. I also enjoyed Data's internal battle with a Romulan AI, and some excellent character development with Lt. Sean Hawk (of Star
Mark
I’ve found that I can count on authors Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin to deliver outstanding Star Trek tales and this novel is no exception. Picard is reunited with some old friends when the Enterprise is caught in the middle of a civil war. The Romulans are involved, but with friends in Section 31, the Federation’s covert operations division, who needs enemies?

Published in paperback by Pocket Books.
Alex
Probably one of the best Star Trek books I've ever read. It was gripping to say the least and the author really had a feel for the characters and their interactions. There wasn't a time when I was thinking, "Geordi would never say that" or something to that effect. Not to mention a gay character on the bridge and one that continues onto the other books as a supporting character.
Abby
Sep 03, 2012 Abby rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: Star Trek
An interesting look at Section 31, the secret intelligence branch of the Federation. Though this book was set in The Next Generation series, it focused on a minor character that we knew from the first chapter dies. A good story (and I'm a TNG nerd) but I was hoping for more of my beloved characters not so much other ones.
KJ Sweet
It started out slow, but got very interesting in time. I love Keru and Hawk, so any book with them in it pulls at my heart strings. Near the end of the book, I realized Hawk was a Mary-Sue character. I think the action made up for it, though. Not the best Star Trek book I've ever read, but I would still recommend it.
Daniel Kukwa
It tries to be a novel demonstrating the dark-hearted power of Section 31, but it doesn't come close to sister-series DS9's effortless command of the ultimate counter-intelligence force. A novel that is nowhere near as radical as it "thinks" it is...
Chris
As a Star Trek nerd, this was a decent story, some background on an interesting part of Federation history and pretty good character development. I enjoyed myself and was able to read it very quickly.
Tim
Sep 11, 2012 Tim added it
Shelves: unfinished, physical
I'm not sure why I have a record of reading this book - the plot summary and other reviews don't jog my memory. Probably best for fanfic fans.
Randy Wiggins
This was a great novel for me. It was the first time a gay charachter had ever been featured in a Star Trek novel.
Joanne Corbett
Great book so far. It takes up where the movie First Contact left off.
Dustin
Not my favorite of the Section 31 books, but it was by no means bad.
Benjamin Plume
Nice to see where some of the Section 31 tendrils reach.
Tim
Tim is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Roger
Roger added it
Aug 29, 2015
  • Shadow (Star Trek Voyager: Section 31, #4)
  • Cloak (Star Trek: Section 31, #1)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • A Time to Heal (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #8)
  • Q-Strike (Star Trek: The Next Generation #49; The Q Continuum, #3)
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • A Fury Scorned (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #43)
  • Dragon's Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #38)
  • A Time for War, A Time for Peace (Star Trek, the Next Generation)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #1)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #4)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
Andy Mangels is an American science fiction author who has written novels, comics, and magazine articles, and produced DVD collections, mostly focusing on media in popular culture. As an openly-gay man, he has been a longtime advocate for greater visibility of gay and lesbian characters in various media, especially comics, including the coordination and moderation of the annual "Gays in Comics" pa ...more
More about Andy Mangels...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 102 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Characters The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2) The Good That Men Do (Star Trek: Enterprise #11) Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2) Turnabout (Roswell #8)