Start by marking “The Thing: Idol of Millions” as Want to Read:
The Thing: Idol of Millions

The Thing: Idol of Millions

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Join Ben Grimm and his pals as they clobber their way through the Marvel Universe! Spinning out of events from 'Fantastic Four', the idol of millions is now worth billions - but will big bucks make a Rockefeller out of this rocky fella?
Published September 6th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thing

Jace
Oct 10, 2009 Jace rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jace by: Vintage Phoenix
Shelves: comics
The Thing may be a rock monster, but underneath that orange brick exterior Ben Grimm is one of the most human characters in the superhero community. Did I mention he's hilarious, too? It's hard to improve on the Thing, but if anyone can do it, it's Dan Slott. His style is pretty light hearted and comical, but that doesn't mean he skimps on quality. He has some of the best characterization, dialog, and plotlines of anyone currently writing comics.

I've been a fan of the Fantastic Four since I was
Chris
Once again, Dan Slott proves that he is one of the few creators who really gets these characters, and that he understands that above all else superheroes are supposed to be fun. He writes stories that are light and silly without ever letting them devolve into outright stupidity, all while making it look completely effortless. Unfortunately, he does go to great lengths to make sure everything maintains the status quo, but that's a problem that is sort of endemic to the genre as a whole. For insta ...more
John Kirk
I originally bought this comic as monthly issues, then again as a TPB, and I'm just sorry that the series didn't continue for longer.

Dan Slott is a great writer: he clearly relishes obscure continuity, and this comic involves several guest appearances from other Marvel superheroes. At the same time, it's not involved in any big crossovers so it stands alone as a complete story.

Beyond that, there's a real sense of fun, and the characters genuinely seem to like spending time with each other. I lik
Travis
A collection of stories about the THing, on his own, away from the Fantastic Four after he has struck it rich. Along the way, he learns money can create as many problems as it solves, who his real friends are, having a dog helps make life better and that women will make you do stupid things.

LOts of old school comic book adventures, good use of FF history, really nice art Slott has a solid handle on the thing as a character and the message issues get their point across without hitting you over th
Matt
Really great stuff. I love how the Thing finally finds his way to getting down-to-Earth is by finally getting bar mitzvahed (what can I say, I grew up in a Jewish community), and I love the sense of humor to the whole thing. Great, great stuff.
Mza
Dec 24, 2010 Mza rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 12-year-old me
Not sure why I have continued to read superpowered corny poopoo into my middle age. Hope it's not a sexual thing, but if it is, it's absolutely subliminal and unsurprising.
Josh
SO much fun!

Very good writing, FANTASTIC art & at more than one point, downright hilarious!

"Come on, Carol. That's freakin' adorable." :D
John Cook
I was never really a fan of the Thing, but this is a really well written and funny story.
Karl
Collects entire limited series. Old school stories. $5.
Gracie
This was just pure fun from start to finish.
Nico Raymond
Nico Raymond marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Paulius
Paulius marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Peter Derk
Peter Derk marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Arturo
Arturo marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Alex Ward
Alex Ward marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 1: My Own Worst Enemy The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 2: A Troubled Mind Arkham Asylum: Living Hell The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 3: No Escape She-Hulk, Vol. 1: Single Green Female