Start by marking “The Thing: Idol of Millions” as Want to Read:
The Thing: Idol of Millions

The Thing: Idol of Millions

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Join Ben Grimm and his pals as they clobber their way through the Marvel Universe! Spinning out of events from 'Fantastic Four', the idol of millions is now worth billions - but will big bucks make a Rockefeller out of this rocky fella?
Published September 6th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thing

Jace
Oct 10, 2009 Jace rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jace by: Vintage Phoenix
Shelves: comics
The Thing may be a rock monster, but underneath that orange brick exterior Ben Grimm is one of the most human characters in the superhero community. Did I mention he's hilarious, too? It's hard to improve on the Thing, but if anyone can do it, it's Dan Slott. His style is pretty light hearted and comical, but that doesn't mean he skimps on quality. He has some of the best characterization, dialog, and plotlines of anyone currently writing comics.

I've been a fan of the Fantastic Four since I was
Christopher
Apr 26, 2015 Christopher rated it really liked it
Once again, Dan Slott proves that he is one of the few creators who really gets these characters, and that he understands that above all else superheroes are supposed to be fun. He writes stories that are light and silly without ever letting them devolve into outright stupidity, all while making it look completely effortless. Unfortunately, he does go to great lengths to make sure everything maintains the status quo, but that's a problem that is sort of endemic to the genre as a whole. For insta ...more
John Kirk
Dec 15, 2012 John Kirk rated it it was amazing
I originally bought this comic as monthly issues, then again as a TPB, and I'm just sorry that the series didn't continue for longer.

Dan Slott is a great writer: he clearly relishes obscure continuity, and this comic involves several guest appearances from other Marvel superheroes. At the same time, it's not involved in any big crossovers so it stands alone as a complete story.

Beyond that, there's a real sense of fun, and the characters genuinely seem to like spending time with each other. I lik
B
May 23, 2015 B rated it liked it
Shelves: westend, borrowed
This whole thing seems pretty rushed. Also, there are some weird tonal problems. This is sometimes very comic and sometimes very serious.

Also, also, also, Arcade. As I've written before, people are always writing Arcade stories. But Arcade just doesn't work. He only wants to murder. And murders in Spider/X-men stories don't happen like in Batman comics. So Arcade basically never harms anyone. But spends all this money on robots that are always breaking.

How did Thing get all that money?
Travis
Aug 08, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
A collection of stories about the THing, on his own, away from the Fantastic Four after he has struck it rich. Along the way, he learns money can create as many problems as it solves, who his real friends are, having a dog helps make life better and that women will make you do stupid things.

LOts of old school comic book adventures, good use of FF history, really nice art Slott has a solid handle on the thing as a character and the message issues get their point across without hitting you over th
Jdetrick
The Thing has always been a fun character and Dan Slott has a great handle on him. Plus, with all the guest appearances, it's almost like a sequel to Marvel Two-In-One! Good times!
Matt
Feb 07, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Really great stuff. I love how the Thing finally finds his way to getting down-to-Earth is by finally getting bar mitzvahed (what can I say, I grew up in a Jewish community), and I love the sense of humor to the whole thing. Great, great stuff.
Mza
Dec 24, 2010 Mza rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 12-year-old me
Not sure why I have continued to read superpowered corny poopoo into my middle age. Hope it's not a sexual thing, but if it is, it's absolutely subliminal and unsurprising.
Josh
Sep 24, 2013 Josh rated it liked it
SO much fun!

Very good writing, FANTASTIC art & at more than one point, downright hilarious!

"Come on, Carol. That's freakin' adorable." :D
John Cook
I was never really a fan of the Thing, but this is a really well written and funny story.
Karl
Feb 05, 2012 Karl rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-sell
Collects entire limited series. Old school stories. $5.
Gracie
Jan 14, 2013 Gracie rated it really liked it
This was just pure fun from start to finish.
Ellen Mellor
Ellen Mellor rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Luke Bell
Luke Bell marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2016
Tim Downie
Tim Downie rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Ben Cowles
Ben Cowles rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Nicholas Grugin
Nicholas Grugin rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Nate
Nate added it
Nov 15, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Sam Portillo
Sam Portillo rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
V
V marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Sarah Lock
Sarah Lock rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
David Garcia
David Garcia rated it did not like it
Feb 09, 2015
'kris Pung
'kris Pung marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015