Start by marking “Acing the Interview: How to Ask and Answer the Questions That Will Get You the Job” as Want to Read:

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  19 reviews
At some point, most people have been caught off guard by tough interview questions. This book helps readers take charge of the situation! In " Acing the Interview," the employment expert Dr. Phil called "the best of the best" gives job seekers candid advice for answering even the most unexpected questions, including:

You really don't have as much experience as we would like
Published January 1st 2008 by AMACOM/American Management Association

To ask other readers questions about Acing the Interview, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acing the Interview

Adrienna
The first two audio CDs were very minimal on useful insight on acing the interview until the last track on 3rd CD. I wrote a few notes to see if it can help me get the job at this 95% rate of a great return via interview to get the job!

The key point I also heard on CD #3, was to be energized, enthusiastic, and be memorable. Even if the interviewer is laid-back and relaxed, you should not be! This is helpful and learned how to master this years ago because I focused on what I wanted from the job
Joseph Young
Apr 11, 2014 Joseph Young rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sales people looking for jobs, interviewers looking for good questions
Decent summary of the job search process, with decent tips for many questions.

I was a little annoyed at first because the first couple of cds focused on not the interview, but how to find interviews, different roles of head-hunters, hr, and the like and how to handle these people. While these are important sections of job search too, I couldn't help but feel deceived by the title of the book as they didn't get into the interview questions until much later in the series.

I think most of this book
Lynn
This is worth reading if you're looking for a job. Although a bit too aggressive/assertive? for me to use as written, it contains a lot of valuable tips that I will make use of at my next interview.
E
Handy guide to handling job interviews

You got fired. How do you handle that during a job interview? Or you only spent a year at each of your last two jobs. How do you convince a prospective employer that you will last? You work for a firm with a great reputation, but you’re not happy. What do you say when an interviewer asks why you want to leave such a respected outfit? Job placement and recruitment expert Tony Beshara provides the best answers to these and other job interview questions. Plus,
Dana
This book had TONS of great information. It showed me how to think about interviewing in a whole new way. It was laid out great and was explained clearly. I'm giving it 4 stars because

1. I felt like in places it was geared towards people who only work in the sales/corporate industry

2. Tony didn't explain how to approach a job posting that specifically asks for no phone calls.

3. He addressed the multiple individual interviews in one day scenario, but didn't talk about a panel of interviewers all
Dayla
Right before I interviewed for a job as a kind of "Social Justice" cop for the San Francisco Unified School District, I read this book.

I felt so great when I interviewed knowing that I had aced every question, it really didn't matter that I didn't get the job in the end. That part was on them. What I did, thanks to this book, was totally on me, and I was a 10. No kidding.

Of course, the next two interviews I referred back to the book, but in retrospect, I should have found another book, because
Micah
May 09, 2015 Micah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Job seekers
Shelves: self-improvement
This book pushed the hard sell tactic for getting an interview. If someone came to me with that tactic I would tell them no and circular file anything else they sent at me.

It does do I good look at the contrived dance that is a job interview. If you play your part the best and keep the mindset of the person(s) across from you, you will do well in an interview.

They discuss some ideas that might be new to some people. If you are starting your job search it might not hurt to take a listen. The bia
Kristina Marie
I used this book simply for the practice interview questions. They were great and I benefited from them. My boyfriend complained that while this book was written fine for the task, the grammar and sentence structure were wrong and included a few errors/typos. I suggest using this book with a partner and having them ask you the questions.
Jason Riemens
I am not one to be negative or put down another person or their work, because I have not walked their shoes. But this was one of the worst audiobooks I have ever had to listen to. If the author had not read it, it might have been much better, but it was a torturous 546 minutes.
Kristine Goldberg
I actually never finished this book. This book recommends very aggressive tactics for job hunting. It was a good book and there were a lot of good tips. I may borrow the book some day and finish it, but right now I prefer to read other books.
Pauline
Excellent advice...if you are under 40. Always good to know the techniques though, no matter where you are in your career because many of them help you to KEEP your job after you've landed it.
Carla
Good, but not incredible. Useful to get you thinking about what the interviewer is thinking during an interview. But this will not change your likelihood of getting a job.
Gina
Nov 19, 2010 Gina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a big dejavu for me for some reason. There are some good points made that I will have to think on,, I will let you know if it makes a difference for me.
Natalie
Monotonous and unenjoyable, this book is definitely not interesting, and it repeats itself constantly, but I did manage to squeeze a couple bits of information from it.
Fenixbird SandS
Mar 24, 2010 Fenixbird SandS is currently reading it
Shelves: faith, nonfiction
Need a little help on that NEXT interview? Wish to learn from your past or recent interviews? Here is some great advice!
Jason Kosarek
Good practice questions and exact answers. Other than that has little else of value and is already outdated.
Jen
This book provided me with no insight that I or any other self-realized person wouldn't already have.
-ari01-
The book has some good solid advice - however I find his style too pushy for my taste.
Phillip
This book gives clear advice on how to give solid interviews.
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
H
H added it
Jul 20, 2015
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Lisa Kidin
Lisa Kidin marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
jec
jec added it
May 19, 2015
Christopher Grant
Christopher Grant marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
192727
TONY BESHARA is the owner and president of Babich Associates, the oldest placement firm in Texas. He is the author of The Job Search Solution (978-0-8144-7332-0) and Acing the Interview (978-0-8144-0161-3).
More about Tony Beshara...
The Job Search Solution: The Ultimate System for Finding a Great Job Now! Unbeatable Resumes: America's Top Recruiter Reveals What Really Gets You Hired The Job Search Solution:The Ultimate System for Finding a Great Job Now! Powerful Phrases for Successful Interviews: Over 400 Ready-To-Use Words and Phrases That Will Get You the Job You Want Get That Job: The Job Search Solution; Acing the Interview; The First 90 Days