The Berkut

The Berkut

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A work of WWII historical fiction depicting Hitler's escape at the end of the Third Reich by a top German commando. Stalin, who is obsessed with capturing Hitler, send his own band of commandos to Berlin to discover if Hitler is alive or not.
Mass Market Paperback, 568 pages
Published November 1st 1988 by Dell (first published July 12th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Berkut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berkut

Morgiana
this was a 4.5 star - read

I found this book was a really enjoyable read - seemingly the author made a serious search about the WW2 and what happened immediately after the Red Army seized Berlin after a bloody battle.
The storyline was interesting also: Hitler didn't committed suicide, and a special Russian unit chased him and his 'rescuers' through the battled and ruined Germany and Italy, followed by the American OSS.
The characters and the storyline was well build, there was always something ha...more
Carol Storm
I got this book as a present from an old pen pal of mine, a Marine sergeant stationed in the Philippines during Operation Desert Storm. Not only are the SS Men, Soviet spies, and American agents, all totally believable, the weapons systems are detailed and the characters are brutally real and fascinating.

My one complaint is that there was not enough of one particular character -- Rosemary Wilson, a WAC officer who stumbles across one of the Hitler Youth girls sneaking Hitler out of Germany. The...more
Tihomirg

***** SPOILERS!!! *****

The book starts of nicely and then gradually loses steam towards the end. There are main characters without any purpose (Valentine). Some plot elements make no sense at all: why would the Russians want to blame the Jews for the sinking? And why would they leave Brumm alive but kill a whole ship full of emigrants? The epilogue hit the final nail into the coffin: the scene does not belong to historical fiction but into cheesy horror books. Completely unrealistic.
The writing...more
Tessa Small
Brilliant suspense drama all based on suspicion and gaps left after the second world war. The commitment of men and women to the roles they have to play and their dedication to their leaders and countries is admirable and inspiring. I loved the twists and turns taken in the book.
Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)
I don't normally read suspense thrillers, or whatever the genre is called, but this one was quite a ride. The other 5 star reviews are right on from my memories of reading this (at least 12 years ago). The pages just fly by, and it's a roller coaster "what if" scenario.

Velvetink
Feb 20, 2011 Velvetink added it
Shelves: fiction, war, z-1980-s
Read it - can't remember it - brought home to re-read.
Srđan Mijatov
Priča je interesantna i spada u istorijsku špekulaciju, koja za motiv ima pretpostavku da se Hitler nije ubio 30-tog Aprila 1945-te. Priča je počela sjajno, sa interesantnim likovima i zapletom i sa solidnom dinamikom. Ali... Oko polovine knjige sam primetio da me na momente smara. Neki postupci likova mi nisu imali mnogo smisla (ni u momentu čitanja, a ni nakon pročitane cele knjige). Romanse u knjizi su nepotrebne. Postoji čak i cela, potpuno neporebna sporedna priča (sa svojim takođe nepotreb...more
Thad
Really good book. If you like World War II history, this is a great read. A fictional "what if" on alternative theories to the final demise of Adolf Hitler. Seen from the perspectives of a Russian special operations group and a US OSS officer on his last assignment.

The author is thorough in his use of facts known, and filling the unknowns in with plausible alternatives. He provides a reasonable rationale for the patriotism held by Soviet citizens that I could appreciate, and while I disagreed wi...more
David Lucero
This story takes place at the end of WWII. A group of Russian soldiers are ordered by Stalin to search for Hitler. Apparently the Soviet dictator does not believe the Facist dictator took his own life.

Heywood takes the reader on a very detailed, and very real journey through post-war Germany, and writes about the likelihood of Hitler managing to escape. He introduces familiar characters throughout the story, and this imaginative book is one of my favorites. If you enjoy WWII thrillers, you will...more
Rachel
It's shortly before the Fall of Berlin and SS officer Gunther Brumm is given one final assignment; save Adolf Hitler. It's an unusual assignment but Brumm is up for the challenge. Meanwhile, Joseph Stalin, obsessed with catching Hitler, sends out a group of Russian soldiers to go after Brumm and Hitler. Who will prevail? The Berkut was an average book, something to keep your mind thinking for awhile but it's not a must read, in my opinion. The topic of Hitler surviving World War Two is a popular...more
Antone Silva
This was one trudge of a read for me. The story keeps going but in almost every chapter the author tends to constantly over-develop his characters repeatedly and repetitiously which made the book seem long and very stretched out. I had to put the book down several times because of this "annoyance" but finally got through it after several months.

If you like WWII fiction thrillers then this is a book you need to read, along with A LOT of patience. The plot was good, the ending was satisfying...but...more
Dave Sippel
This was a fast paced, exciting historical fiction novel depicting the faked death and escape of Hitler from his bunker. Aided by loyal SS members, Hitler is chased across Europe by Stalin's handpicked bounty hunters.The escape is made difficult by Hitler's own ego and refusal to cooperate with his rescuers.
Mitch Plut
For a book about an elaborate plot to funnel Hitler out of the ash heaps of Germany to Argentina, its not bad. Seems a stretch in the reality department but Heywood does a nice job of describing the landscape of a destroyed Germany in the aftermath immediately following V-Day and what life was like as a German in the part of Berlin occupied by Russians. I had no idea that girls were such sluts back then! (If you read the book you might see the humor in that last sentence)
Darin
May 04, 2008 Darin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone a fan of WWII fiction.
Recommended to Darin by: my Uncle Joe
Shelves: military-fiction
One of the best fictional books about WWII out there. It's a story about Hitler being smuggled out of Germany before the Third Reich collapses. He is helped by a top German commando and they are chased by Russian commandos determined to capture Hitler for Stalin.

Warning, there is some bad language and crude scenes, but they fit in-line with the story. I wish this book would be made into a movie.

Malcolm
Hitler lives! And it's up to a crack team of Russian commandos to track him through the ruins of post-WW2 Europe and kill him. THE BERKUT is chock full of action, adventure and includes a helping of voluptuous Nazi guerillas for good measure. High marks to Heywood's portrayal of a shattered continent. If you enjoy historical thrillers this is the book for you.
Eric
This book blew me away. Didn't think I'd be a fan of historical fiction, but I was loaned this book and didn't have much in the way of options so I gave it a shot. Glad I did!! I'm into characterization and this has it...and the skillful story-telling is hard to describe. A must read and makes a short list of favorites for me.

Tom Barnett
Adolph Hitler died in the Fuhrer Bunker on April 30, 1945 -- or did he? The author does an excellent job of exploiting the circumstances around the death of Adolph Hitler. Heywood crafts a superb alternate reality as we follow the last days of the Thousand-Year Reich.
Cindy
This is the best historical fiction about WWII that I have ever read. It really makes you wonder what really did happen. Joseph Heywood wrote this is 1987. I felt like I was reading a Tom Clancy. If you like WWII historical fiction, find this book and read it!
Steve
A great WW2 special ops/espionage adventure, without a lot of the paranoia associated with other writers of the genre. A long and detailed book but very enjoyable.
Yvonne Ohumukini-urness
Thrilling ride through 1945 Germany and Europe as brilliant minds track a fugitive Hitler who was on the run after faking his own death. The ultimate chase where there are only two outcomes; success or death.
Eileen White
What if Hitler did not die in the Berlin bunker?! This was a fast-paced plot with many interesting fact-based (or rumor-based) twists.
Josh Ingraham
Best book of its genre. Action, suspense and awesome characters. Hitler, Stalin, everything a WW2 fan could want in a historical fiction.
Jeff Quinn
For me, this was AWESOME. For anyone who likes war/suspense/Bond-like adventure, I highly recommend.
Lawrence
I really enjoyed this story. Manhunt, Nazis, WWII. Found it a real page turner.
Chris Turen
This book is beyond great! If you can find it- read it. You won't be disappointed.
Ginny
Interesting theory about the demise of Hilter.
Pauline
Great book, one that I couldn't put down!
Brian Anthony
Excellent book, absolute value for TIME!!!
Ed Moore
A great read. One of my favorites!
  • War of the Rats
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Götz and Meyer
  • Voyage of the Damned
  • Killing Rommel
  • Stettin Station (John Russell, #3)
  • The Company of Strangers
  • The Caves of Perigord
  • The Warsaw Anagrams
  • Assignment in Brittany
  • Most Secret
  • SS-GB
  • The Train Was on Time
Joseph Heywood is the son of a career USAF officer. His dad was from Rhinecliff, New York on the Hudson River in Dutchess County, and his mother is from Mize, Mississippi in Sullivan County. His mother’s maiden name was Hegwood and she had only to change one letter to convert to her married name.

He is a 1961 graduate of Rudyard High School in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (Chippewa County). Played f...more
More about Joseph Heywood...
Ice Hunter: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #1) Chasing A Blond Moon: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #3) Blue Wolf in Green Fire: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #2) Strike Dog: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #5) Running Dark: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #4)

“Waller was a sensible girl. She meant to shake off the American officer as soon as she could, and meet with Agent Werewolf and his friends in the woods. Germany was counting on them! Still, it seemed foolish to be afraid -- the American officer was only a woman, after all. What could one woman do to another?” 1 likes
“The freckle-faced corporal from Iowa grinned. "Geez, Major, whatever you gave that German broad last night sure got her talking. Was it some new Russian drug? Something from HQ?"

"That's my affair." Major Rosemary Wilson ignored the grinning boy and lit a cigarette, blowing out smoke as she gazed through the one way mirror. The German girl, Waller, looked pale and lost under the interrogation lights, but she was still exceptionally pretty. No doubt last night had been her first time with a woman. Still, Greta had been an enthusiastic learner, responsive and eager to please. The Major had every intention of continuing the girl's education -- once Werewolf and his Nazi pack were back behind bars.”
1 likes