Start by marking “The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  850,624 ratings  ·  32,740 reviews
A fascinating blend of myth and modern--This special edition also contains questions and activities to inspire discussion and enhance your reading.
Published January 1st 2005 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Lightning Thief, please sign up.

Nate The movies don't even make sense when you read the books. You NEED to read them. AMAZING series!
Makenzie First off, the movies do not do the books justice :)

First off, the movies do not do the books justice :)

But yes, definitely read the books! I'm a teenager and I read the books a few years ago, but to this day it's one of my all-time favorite series. Riordan is an amazing writer, and once you start his books, you can't put them down! He does a great job with combining mythology with the modern day, so the stories seem all the more realistic.

While the first book is projected towards a younger audience, it's still action-packed and captivating. As the series progresses, Percy, the main character, grows and gets older so by the final book in the series he's 16, so as he matures, the books get older as well.

I also recommend these books because Rick has a follow-up series, called the Heroes of Olympus Series, which is for an older audience. Some of the characters from the Percy Jackson series carry over, so I recommend reading the first series to better understand the second (and I definitely recommend reading the follow-up series because it's just as good, if not better than the first).

Hope this helped!(less)

Destinee Sutton
Aug 07, 2008 Destinee Sutton rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Destinee by: The children of SPL
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
A+ Writing
A+ Plot
A+ Characters
A+ MONSTERS

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I wish I hadn't watched the movie before reading it, because I felt like that ruined a bit of enjoyment of this book for me, but for the most part I had such a fun time reading this book and I'm looking forward to continuing on with the series.
Ela
I'm slightly ashamed to say that I watched the movie before I read the book. But I'm even more ashamed that I watched the movie only to experience the hotness that is Logan Lerman.

But, come on! Someone tell me that this , is not hot:

Really. What did I tell you? (I do imagine that you probably won't read the rest of the review anf just stare at this gif instead, but that's no reason not to like my review! :D)

But, I really have to thank Logan. I really do. Because without his unfreakingbelieveabl
Mark
My sister recommended this series and I was pretty interested in it once I heard a basic summary of the plot. I must say, I was thoroughly disappointed.

The concept in itself is very creative. Son of a Greek god in modern times. He is dyslexic because he is meant to read ancient greek. That's clever. The translation of Greek gods to 21st, some were pretty well done, except for a few details here and there (a greek god would sick robot spiders against his enemies? Really?) The concept had promise.
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Chiron looked surprised. “I thought that would be obvious enough. The entrance to the Underworld is in Los Angeles.
As someone who has worked in Los Angeles, I can tell you that this is completely accurate.

While Harry Potter was spending his summers at the Dursleys, Percy Jackson attended Camp Half-Blood. This book has done the impossible: it has redeemed the name of Percy.

Yes, that's right, that snot-faced, lily-livered waste of air of the very same name from the Harry Potter universe. That na
Cara
Dec 24, 2013 Cara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reluctant readers
Recommended to Cara by: Gerson
Really is there something I could say that hasn't been said? Doubtful, but in utterly stupid human style I will write a review anyway attempting to tell people how cool this book is.

This is plainly an awesome idea. I had always wondered what happened to the kids of half gods/goddess and humans. Here's the story to quench your curiosity. Percy Jackson has been dumped around from border school to border school. He has never been quite like anybody else, but as the end of sixth grade approaches h
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Yet another review:

Well I feel like I've rewritten/updated my review of this like a billion times at this point, but I'm here to do it again. I re-read this over the span of the past two days when I had to take two super-long bus trips. This was the third time I've read the whole thing, I'm pretty sure (kind of the fourth time I guess, since I read a lot of it out loud to my younger siblings last year). There are few books that I loved when I was 12 that I still deeply love now, and this is one
Emily May
Were you a bit weird in school? Or are you still in school and think you're kinda weird? I mean, everyone is weird, but you know that I mean. Maybe you didn't fit in, maybe people thought you were a bit of a loser. Maybe you had learning difficulties, were a target for bullies, got into trouble a lot, maybe it seemed like your teachers just didn't like you. Maybe you sucked at reading and were even diagnosed with dyslexia. Or ADHD.

Well, don't worry. Truth is, you're actually most likely a child
Samadrita
EDIT 09/06/2013:- That's it. I have had my fill of too many stupid, brain-cell destroying comments posted on this review in the past few months asking me to write a 'best-selling book' before attempting to take apart Rick Riordan's writing. As if the exclusive privilege of negatively criticizing a book is accorded only to published writers and not ordinary reviewers/readers.
I do have the right to record my feelings about a book in my review. And it's such a shame that I am actually being force
karen
this is a perfect book for young teenagers. if you were trying to devise a formula for writing a perfect book for this age group, you could not have done much better than this.

1) mysterious parentage. kids are totally self-absorbed. some never grow out of it, of course, but in younger people, it is more excusable - their internal life makes up the majority of their experience, they are used to being the center of attention and they spend a lot of time thinking about themselves and fantasizing. s
StoryTellerShannon
If you like Harry Potter, you will probably like this book, too. Come to think of it, if you do not like HP, you may still like this book. Recommended reading ages are grades 5-9 but if you're younger and like to read this book may very well be fine . . . and, this book is actually written well enough for adults to enjoy as well.

Tale focuses on a 12 year old boy named Percy who isn't getting along with just about everyone in school and soon discovers part of his problems are related to the fac
Kat O'Keeffe
I loved this book SO MUCH! Great characters, awesome world, fantastic writing, entertaining story--I can't think of any negatives! I will be adding the rest of the series (books 2-5) to my April TBR so I can read them ASAP!
K.D. Absolutely
Dec 04, 2013 K.D. Absolutely rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Joyzi
Shelves: ya, series
I knew almost nothing about Greek and Roman mythologies prior to reading this book. So, while reading the first two chapters and when I had difficulty following what's going on, particularly who were those characters, I picked up and started reading Edith Hamilton’s Mythology. After finishing the first chapter of that book, I resumed my reading and then I could follow.

The reason for my ignorance was that my teachers in elementary, high school and college did not bother teaching about those gods
Namratha
HALF-BOY, HALF-GOD, ALL HERO!!....the Tagline says it all. Percy Jackson is your quintessential pre-teen, dyslexic and suffering from ADHD. Getting into unexplainable scraps and shuffled from school to school, he pretty much accepts the fact that he’s destined to be......well, one big Loser.

Little does he know that he’s a ‘Half-Blood’, an off spring of a powerful Greek God and a mortal woman. And there is a special place for him, “Camp Half-Blood” which houses and protects other such demigods, n
Joyzi
Aug 17, 2011 Joyzi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Potter
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
banner Pictures, Images and Photos

I first watched the movie version of this book that I really enjoyed and so I became interested to read the book.

So I just want to say that I rate it four stars because the story is about Greek mythology in the modern world, which is good because I loved mythology ever since.

I love the characters in the story especially Percy Jackson who in the story have dyslexia and ADHD, so in the story at first, he was not very good at school and he viewed himself as a loser because of that.

It really tou
Jonathan

Okay I've deleted the place-marker review ladies and gentlemen: here for your entertainment is my new and improved review. Now with added humor - well I think so anyway.

Many people may look at my rating (before reading my review I presume) and question why I gave this five stars. 'Why would he give Percy Jackson five and deny literary masterpieces five stars. Why give this the same score as Lord of the Rings for instance? Well all I can say is that this is where the deceptive element of differen
Kira
Oh, please don't get me wrong. This book is adorable. I mean, come on - it's about a kid who wants to go save his mom. It's also a great stonking adventure with lots of flashy prose and a sweep-me-up-and-never-drop-me plot. Fun, fun, fun.

The only real problem I have with this book is the same that I have with pretty much every other fantasy tale that follows suit with Greek mythology: Medusa.

Just don't get me started. I don't really want to get into a rant about it, so let's just say that in anc
Rose
One of my favorite teens has been nagging me for _years_ to read this book, but, despite my long-standing fascinating with Greek mythology, I just couldn't be bothered. Then one Thursday afternoon at a library program, while I was sneaking looks at "The Last Olympian" (the fifth and final book in the Percy Jackson series), which she had on top of her stack of books (it just looked really _cool_), she finally ran upstairs to the teen section and came back to hand me "The Lightning Thief."

It's act
Lisa Vegan
Mar 31, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8-12 year olds & all the way up to adults, especially for kids with dyslexia & ADHD
I really loved this book. I think it’s geared for 8-12 year olds but this is one of those books that the more you know about the world the more you like it. The premise is wonderful and very creative. The characters, especially the hero Percy, are very likeable. There’s so much humor, popping up at places where I least expected it and I absolutely enjoyed all of it.

The story was predictable and one of the main surprises/mysteries wasn’t one for me, but it didn’t really matter. In fact, it was fu
Jonathan Rogers
Donalyn
Jan 26, 2008 Donalyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Donalyn by: Kim Gardner- SKI librarian
This series has it all- cool, realistic characters, action sequences that thrill, references to modern culture (love the St. Louis Arch, and Las Vegas visits), and Greek mythology. I cannot recommend this series to enough readers. You're not cool if you do not know about Percy and Co.

Having met Rick Riordan twice- I can say that he is awesome, too.

Counting down to May when Book Four comes out...
Tyas
Being a lover of Greek mythology, I approached Percy Jackson with interest. Will this series satisfy, or will it mess every thing I know there is about the Olympians and such and such?

Well, if you're not American, some things at the beginning may make your guts churn in protest. Wow, wow, whoa. The Greek gods are now in the USA because it's the centre of Western civilization now? It seems a bit silly I laughed, but my laughter stopped dead when I thought that, Well, if I were the author and I wa
Becky
I loved this book. I really love mythology and ancient Greece and stories about heroes and gods and mythical beings. I loved A Midsummer Night's Dream for its links to mythology and fairies, etc. I love the Playstation game God of War because of the mythology. (Although loving mythology is not the only reason to play this series of games. If you haven't played it or GOW2, go rent them. Now. Shoo! Then report back to me on how destressed but addicted you are and how AWESOME the game is! I'll wait ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This was a pretty good book...but it should have been a very good book. I want to go slow here, I know this is a much enjoyed novel and it's very popular right now. I also want to take criticizing a writer's work seriously, I mean it's easy to be a critic, so the criticism I give here is "subjective", it's from my point of view and it's my impression. I do plan to pick up the next book. I did find parts of the book very entertaining. I realize it's a YA book and not geared to adults... now for t ...more
Kathryn
Oct 25, 2008 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Annie & Tyler
I enjoyed this book, though it took me rather too long to read it so I suppose I wasn't completely enamored. Still, I thought it a very clever and interesting premise--and it was fun to brush up on my mythology! I'm not sure why some people think it's Harry-Potter-esque; it's definitely more mythology-based than "magic" and even though there's a camp/summer school for the half-bloods, it's about Percy's QUEST more than anything else. So, kudos for not trying to be HP. I didn't love the writing s ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Fun, action-packed, and intense. This is a book a child eight or older and an adult who is young at heart can enjoy. I especially, heartily recommend this book to fans of the Greek myths. I thought Riordan's approach was very fresh and original, but showed respect for the origin myths. Having a lifelong interest in Greek mythology, I found myself wondering, hmm, I wonder if he's referring this or that story, only to smile and nod. Having said that, I believe that a person unfamiliar with the myt ...more
Valerie
I wanted to read this before I watched the movie and since I usually don't watch the new movies right away it wasn't a problem to wait for it to come from the library and read it through. I heard most people don't like the movie if they've already read the book, but I try to read the book first if I can.

Quick overview:Percy the main character of this story. He has been in and out of trouble all his 12 years of life, and he can't understand why. He finds out the truth and then is sent out on a q
Melissa
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Jun 10, 2009 Allison (The Allure of Books) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans, YA fantasy fans
I want to beat myself up because I waited so long to start this series.

No wait...*pat on the back* I waited until all the books were out, so I should be glad!

Man oh man, this was a great read. It took me MAYBE 2-3 pages to get past the fact that these were written to entertain a pretty young audience. Who cares? A smart 8 year old can recognize a great story as well as a smart 80 year old. Besides, the more I read, the more sarcasm I picked up on. I like to think that Riordan thought to himself
Amanda
Apr 22, 2011 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mythology Lovers, Ages 9-12
Shelves: young-adult, blog
I hate trying to review a book like this because I'm never certain if I should review it from the perspective of an adult or from the perspective of the intended audience. As a result, let me take a stab at both.

If I were reviewing the book from my perspective, it would be more of a 2 to a 2 1/2. The book is fun, especially for those who love Greek/Roman mythology, and Riordan has some inventive twists. For instance, the half-blood children of the gods are often diagnosed by their teachers as be
Favorite god elimination game 3947 1603 4 hours, 19 min ago
Last one to post is a winner! 14681 1604 6 hours, 5 min ago
laught talk and Gossip 120 63 Dec 23, 2014 08:42PM
No one open!!! 1450 715 Dec 23, 2014 03:09PM
who is your favorite god and goddess 55 121 Dec 23, 2014 07:05AM
Which movie was worse elimination game! 54 121 Dec 20, 2014 12:47PM
Gabe 14 49 Dec 20, 2014 12:01PM
  • Gregor and the Marks of Secret (Underland Chronicles, #4)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)
  • Nobody's Prize (Nobody's Princess, #2)
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • How to Ride a Dragon's Storm (How to Train Your Dragon, #7)
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
  • Ninth Grade Slays (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #2)
  • The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, #6)
  • 100 Cupboards  (100 Cupboards, #1)

More about Rick Riordan...
The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2)

“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.” 5638 likes
“Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.” 3893 likes