Start by marking “The Orchard Book of Stories from the Ballet” as Want to Read:
The Orchard Book of Stories from the Ballet

The Orchard Book of Stories from the Ballet

A collection of ten ballet stories - Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Gisele, Coppelia, The Nutcracker, Petroushka, Romeo and Juliet, La Sylphide and The Firebird, retold by a "Guardian" Children's Prize-winning author.
Published September 29th 1994 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about The Orchard Book of Stories from the Ballet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Orchard Book of Stories from the Ballet

Dianna
Sep 24, 2014 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice, simple, serviceable retellings with beautiful illustrations by Angela Barrett, whose work I adore. I loved learning the stories of the ballets that I've listened to all my life, especially the ones that weren't based on stories that I was familiar with.
Kate
A beautiful new edition of a classic ballet story collection. Travel to the magical Land of Sweets across the Lemonade Ocean in The Nutcracker; be dazzled by the magical Firebird with her flame-bright feathers; and dance until the clock chimes midnight with Cinderella and her handsome prince. Master storyteller Geraldine McCaughrean retells these classic tales with poetry and magic, while renowned artist Angela Barrett's exquisite illustrations dance off the page.

I love all the ballets, they ar
Kim
I picked this up because I love Angela Barrett's illustrations, and while I found much to admire, as always, in her art, I was most delighted by Geraldine McCaughrean's retellings. McCaughrean explains the stories behind the ballets with verve and clever touches of dialogue and detail, but she also manages to capture the very movement of the dance. I could almost imagine exactly how the characters might dance the story, how they'd exit and enter the stage, even how that stage might be dressed ...more
Sammy
Sep 06, 2011 Sammy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Simply LOVED it. Taking after Charles and Mary Lamb, McCaughrean tells beautifully illustrated versions of the stories of ten classic ballets. This was given to my sister (a dancer) when she was about 9; strangely I, who cannot dance to save my life, was the one rapt by it. To this day, I have a particularly strong love of the ballets "The Firebird", "Petrouchka" and "Gisele" because of this book. Love it.
Cheryl
Jun 24, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cohabiting
I was given this book as a gift and only read it out of desperation because I had run out of things to read. Nevertheless I was entranced by the magical stories that sent a chill down my spine. For some reason the stories had an almost "haunting" quality to them. The illustrations are beautiful. Although I'm not a big fan of ballet, the stories in this book have stuck with me for awhile now. This book is definitely worth a read!
Allie
I really treasured this book as a kid. I love how ballets interpret stories -- such a weird way of looking at things! Ballets themselves tend to be a bit long (to a kid), but these distill the grace and elegance into a short story. The illustrations are beautiful: all the characters look as if they are dancing but the settings are all fully realized scenes instead of stage sets. It is an entirely lovely book.
Refine Lubis
This is a children book, but it has a good introduction to understand the stories behind great ballet performance that often shown on stage like the famous Swan Lake, Coppelia, Gisele, Cinderlla, The Nutcracker.

me and my daughter enjoy reading this book
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Felicity
Felicity rated it really liked it
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Rahni
Rahni rated it liked it
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Diana Edwin
Diana Edwin rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Ella
Ella rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Jane Veitch
Jane Veitch rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2013
Venessa
Venessa rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Monia Iori
Monia Iori rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Lana
Lana rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014
Paige
Paige rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Evelyn Vasquez
Evelyn Vasquez rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2011
Aurora
Aurora rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Janna
Janna rated it liked it
Gracia
Gracia rated it it was amazing
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2012
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2011
Deevoted
Deevoted rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Lori Kuder
Lori Kuder rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Geraldine McCaughrean was born in 1951 and brought up in North London. She studied at Christ Church College of Education, Canterbury and worked in a London publishing house for 10 years before becoming a full-time writer in 1988. She has written over 120 books, 50 short plays for schools, and a radio play.

Her adult novels include Fires’ Astonishment (1990) and The Ideal Wife (1997), but she is bes
More about Geraldine McCaughrean...