With a Vengeance

With a Vengeance

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Maggie O'Brien, a nurse and a medic on a SWAT team, has a thirst for justice, and a chip on her shoulder. She lives in the shadow of her father, a famous (or infamous) cop. Is she more his daughter than she wants to admit? The question hits home when Maggie feels the desire--as all cops, nurses, doctors and medics sometimes do--to dispense her own brand of justice. Soon sh...more
Published March 5th 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about With a Vengeance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With a Vengeance

It took me a minute to get involved in this book. I picked it up from my mother mostly because it's set in St. Louis and it's always nice to read about places you know.

I was disappointed when I thought I knew "whodunit" and then pleasantly pleased to discover I was wrong. Once I got sucked it, I was completely sucked in. This was a really good book. I enjoy Dreyer's writing style and her characters.

I would love to see more books with Maggie O'Brien as the heroine.
Linda C
Maggie O'Brien, SWAT medic and ED trauma nurse, questions the death of a psychotic former FBI agent who died from superficial wounds. As she begins to notice other suspicious deaths, they all seem to be people on the List. A List that Maggie assumed was a list of people who frustrated the staff, but now seems to include people who are criminals also, but who also came to the hospital for medical attention, many through ED. But as Maggie investigates, more people die and now, it seems, that someo...more
Kat C
There was an AWFUL lot going on in this book. And I'm still wondering how one person can hold down three crazy critical jobs and still have time for hot, break-the-furniture sex. Hmm.
Sandy
This book is pretty enjoyable in an unsubtle way! It is fun to read a book set in St. Louis, a town about which I know very little.
Rva
Jan 26, 2010 Rva added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Pros: good storyline, very suspenseful and great ending. Cons: drawn out too long.
KatMcD
Book Club pick. Too many characters but otherwise, pretty good.
Elektra
Quick, interesting, and Bright.
Steve
Face it, everybody has a List, whether you call it that or not. There are some folks who piss you off so much that you’d like to see them put up against a wall and shot. You may not put it down on paper, but somewhere in the back of your mind you probably add at least one person to that list every week. Maybe you and some co-workers, or some friends, even share a list. The boss is probably there, plus a particularly annoying salesperson or the guy who “fixes” the photocopier which breaks down wi...more
Marilyn Groves
Maggie O'Brien is an ER nurse, a paramedic, and the newest member of the SWAT team. Her life is filled with characters, from her publicly respected, affable, privately abusive drunken former cop father, to her most trusted friend/lover. It's a very busy life which she mostly enjoys - until bad guys start dying more often than they should and she wonders if it's coincidental.

Pr Latta
I enjoyed the medical and police procedural aspects (Maggie must be related to James Patterson's characters who never need sleep and recover from major injuries overnight) but I didn't really *like* any of the characters. The plot was intriguing (is someone killing off patients that have ticked off the hospital staff without leaving a trace?) but I had difficulty buying in to Maggie's continued abuse by her father which had me questioning my "strong woman" tag. The middle of the book sort of wan...more
Julie
She was the single most annoying female character I've ever read in my life. And that's saying a lot, considering how I feel about Kay Scarpetta.

The author's use of the character's father & his abuse? Disgusting. It wiped out every strong characteristic of the character.

We're really supposed to believe that as a SWAT officer, she goes to her dad's house to keep him from abusing a girlfriend, but yet lets him break into her own apartment and abuse her? Uh, no. The book totally failed at that...more
Ratforce
Fans of Lisa Gardner may enjoy the fast pace, plot twists, and strong heroines of Eileen Dreyer’s books. Also like Lisa Gardner, Eileen Dreyer wrote romance novels before switching to thrillers, which can be seen occasionally in romantic subplots.

Ricardo
Better than the previous one, but still showing very uninspired writing and editing. This is one of those perfect examples of why even you can be great at what you do, it doesn't mean you'll be great at getting it across to other people. The author may have been a great nurse, decorated, etc., but her writing is so blunt and lacking impact that she fails to really show the characters' dimensions and makes them into a caricature, specially the "super nurse" one.
Marti
this book was okay--i didn't find it to be as great as the blurb from tami hoag. maggie o'brien, emt for the st. louis swat team has a crummy father--ex policeman Tommy, who has married and abused a series of bimbos. someone is killing patients, and maggie sets out to find out who it is. can see trust her boyfriend sean?
Faye Hollidaye
Aug 06, 2012 Faye Hollidaye rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thrill seekers and mystery lovers
Recommended to Faye by: the local library
This is a well-written and intriguing find. The characters are well-developed and the plot is exciting. Though this novel is slow and predictable at times, it is a great read and worth the time. And besides the pretty well constant profanity, which I personally am not a fan of, the end makes it all worth while.
Jenn
A lot less gorey than I remembered her other book to be. Or maybe it was just me. A little convoluted in places. And I didn't like most of the characters.
Debra
Is the SWAT team's nurse really an angel of death? Quick reading, kept my interest, but not a memorable book just a few days later.
Pamela
Thriller - Nurse, SWAT Medic - I could not stop until the last page - wish I could write like her. www.eileendreyer.com
Ellen
Maggie O'Brien -- Nurse & SWAT Para-medic
Amie
it was okay ...but just okay but
Tony
Tony added it
Aug 12, 2014
ahare
ahare marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Amy Medeiros
Amy Medeiros marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Heather Young
Heather Young marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
19012
New York Times bestselling, award-winning author Eileen Dreyer, known as Kathleen Korbel to her Silhouette readers, has published 28 romance novels, 8 medico-forensic suspenses, and 7 short stories.

2012 sees Eileen enjoying critical acclaim for her first foray into historical romance, the Drake's Rakes series, which follow the lives of a group of British aristocrats who are willing to sacrifice ev...more
More about Eileen Dreyer...
Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2) Barely a Lady (The Drake's Rakes, #1) Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3) Once a Rake (The Drakes Rakes, #4) Head Games