Start by marking “Exclusive” as Want to Read:
Exclusive

Exclusive

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  5,046 ratings  ·  289 reviews
The newborn son of the president and the first lady has died suddenly. Was his death a tragic consequence of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)-or was it murder? Brown (The Witness) pulls out the stops in this nimbly plotted political thriller that pits a down-on-her-luck TV journalist against a popular chief executive. Barrie Travis is looking for her ticket out of a sec ...more
Published July 30th 1996 by Warner Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Exclusive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exclusive

Mo
First off, can this woman write a bad book?

This quote is from the TV series, "The Newsroom" - it's not meant to insult anyone, especially Americans but I thought it was appropriate especially regarding the subject matter of the book.

No stars could be seen, of course, because of the city lights. But there was a pretty moon.

This one probably dropped a star as I really wanted some more one on one time for Barrie and Gray... where was it?

Barrie Travis is stuck at a low-budget independent televis
Suzanne
4 'Hail the Chief' STARS

I gotta love SB for getting me out of my losing streak with the past couple books!! I really enjoyed this thriller that involved the Oval Office, The First couple and the tragic death of a baby. One of the many gifts Ms. Brown has is her characters and their development. There are a whole slue of characters and each of them were real, original, quirky, layered and some were down right devious and evil.

Barrie Travis is a smart yet impulsive reporter whose career is in the
Ya~
Can the nation be conned by men in absolute power?

It is the premise of Exclusive, I think and one I was curious to know how the story unfolded. But the interesting premise was followed by shallow characters, forced/alien romance and a disorganized storyline. It took me a while to finish this long book and evidently, I would not recommend:/
Carol  MacInnis
I won this fabulous book from a contest on Goodreads! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Barrie Travis is holding down a job as a reporter at a low-budget television station. Barrie was a good broadcast journalist but unfortunately, the stations management (and her 'creepy' boss) blocked her ideas to produce feature stories and instead give her menial 'junk' to report. She just needs one big break. Then, the First Lady of the United States, Vanessa Merritt, called to meet Barrie not long after Vane
Jane Stewart
2 stars. At best OK, but forgettable. Nothing new or different.

Barrie is an investigative reporter looking into bad things done by the President. Gray used to be one of the President’s advisors. He is helping Barrie.

Gray is smart and always right. Barrie argues with him on almost everything. The effect is similar to “they are hiding, he tells her to be quiet, and she says loudly why.” She also assumes incorrect things, frequently. I was annoyed with some of her actions.

There is too much ponderi
Sue
Exclusive by Sandra Brown.

Sandra Brown always writes the kind of book that you don't want to put down. Just as one chapter ends with loose ends, you can't help but turn the page to the next chapter. If you haven't read Sandra Brown and you like an realistic story lines that twist and turn, this is an amazing novel.

Exclusive is about a reporter who is trying to get an exclusive report when the First Lady contacts her and reveals hints about troubles in her life and troubles in the White House.

Did
Awilk -never sleeps-
I've had this on my shelf for a while. It was a book I picked up on sale and put away not sure when I would read it. That was a mistake. I loved this story. Once I started I couldn't put it down. I ignored everything and just read until it was finished, and now I am depressed that it is over. This makes it hard to decide what to read next, as it will have to be good to match up how much I enjoyed this.
Now I am going to find more stories by this author and continue to read more of her stories. I
kingshearte
I was thinking that this book was rather more like the ones of hers I enjoyed reading some years ago, and then I discovered that it was first published in 1996. That explains it, and does contribute to answering my wondering as to whether her writing has gone downhill or whether I've just outgrown it.

Don't get me wrong; it's still total not-especially-well-written fluff (Among other issues, it included the words "equally as." Automatic fail.). But this was vastly better fluff than the last few o
Trudy Miner
When reporter Barrie Travis was called by the First Lady to meet her at a private cafe in Washington, little did she know that this meeting would be a pivotal point in her life and the beginning of the end of the current administration. Following the meeting with a very distraught First Lady, Barrie begins to suspect that her infant son didn't die of SIDS as announced and Barrie began to try to uncover the truth. This led her to Gray Bondurant, former confidant of the President, who mysteriously ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
I was hooked from the start . It has humor , suspense, romance and action. The first lady calls Barrie Travis out of the blue to join her for tea. Barie follows up with a formal interview about the death of the First couples baby from Sids. During the interview the Presidents wife hints that the baby may have been murdered. Barrie sets out to find the truth, fighting for the exclisive story with the help of Gray Bondurant ; a mysterious former Presidental aide. But their scoop tests her ethics, ...more
Eva
Sandra Brown always writes the kind of book that you don't want to put down. Just as one chapter ends with loose ends, you can't help but turn the page to the next chapter. If you haven't read Sandra Brown and you like an realistic story lines that twist and turn, this is a great one.

Did the baby really die of SIDS
Ann
The story is a standalone book.
Lynn Crouch
OK, was only going to read books where I could learn something when I picked this up dusting the bookshelves a few days ago. Sadly, I learned nothing, but couldnt put it down. My husband is now reading it and he cant put it down. How do you rate a book with absolutely no literary value that stops you from doing anything else but read. This is a great mystery with a surprise ending and some romance thrown in. I probably wont remember it a month from now but it was a great afternoon.
Barbara
After having coffee with First Lady Vanessa Merritt, whose baby recently died from SIDS, TV reporter Barrie Travis decides - with just about zero evidence - that the baby was murdered and sets out to prove it. This leads to big trouble because President David Merritt, who is as corrupt as they come and has his own hit squad, doesn't relish adverse publicity for his administration. Looking for evidence Barrie tracks down Gray Bondurant, a former advisor to the President who allegedly had an affai ...more
Putri Septiana
It was A-okay story, until the twist at the end. Usually I love story with epilogue. I like knowing what's going on with the H/h's life after the main story. But this epilogue, instead of relieve my curiosity, it bugged me. It didn't ended the story, it open a door to another story.

The epilogue also make me question the main story. If David is innocent, at least of the murder of Robert Rushton, why did he make such a drastic movement to kill the First Lady? There wasn't proof that he killed the
Judi R.
Wonderful thriller right through the final page. Surprises and twists galore.
Gopal (The Minion)
Exclusive by Sandra Brown

Sandra Brown’s novels are typical in their approach, a good drop dead looking hero, a unassuming all around bleeding heart heroine, a villain who will go any lengths to achieve his objective and a plot which follows the formula.

Heroine is down on luck, do gooder who catches a seemingly luck break - Check .

Hero is a tough, macho guy who keeps his silence - Check

A heinous, nefarious crime that has been covered up and needs to be exposed for what it is exposing the vill
Laura Fowler
This book was great! House of Cards fans…this is a book you should read. I received my copy as part of a first reads bundle (with Fat Tuesday)

Barrie Travis is a reporter who has ruined her credibility through her impulsivity. After a highly televised blunder she has been relegated to cruddy stories at a second rate newspaper. Then the First lady calls Barrie up to meet for coffee and implies that the recent death of her son from SIDS was not as run of the mill as the press releases made it seem.
Dale Safford
Reading a Sandra Brown ... listening to a Sandra Brown-I really enjoyed both books at the same time! This one with its political setting was very good, a long one but you kept interested the entire time. I really wish that there had been a different conclusion about the main character's dog.

Barrie Travis is a TV reporter, and when the First Lady calls her for an appointment she thinks it is her lucky day. But news from the First Lady is shocking, as she is grieving the loss of her 3-month old in
Ryan
I have no idea why it took me so long to read this book since I am a big Brown fan. I loved it. I love the Sandra Brown was able to make the jump from romance it thriller and keep you entertained. Barrie Travis is a reporter at a local, know nothing TV station. For some reason, the First Lady picks her for a private conversation about the miscarriage of the child she and the president fought so hard to have. But this scandal is bigger than Watergate, and Barrie just needs to get the right conver ...more
Lia Rock lantz
Very good read. Only a couple sex scenes for those of you want to know. Really didn't notice too much foul language. I thought I had it all figured out but the ending threw me for a loop. Happy Reading!
Diane Perry
Great plot, suspense and characters. This was a recommended by a friend a didn't disappoint. The ending was nice case of justice serve too. A must read.
Dawn
I didn't like this as much as I've liked her others. It was decent, with some good twists, but I guess I expected more.
Willow Brook
I wanted to give this 2 stars but I just can't, even rounding up. This is my first and very probably last book by the author. I can't remember when I have disliked a lead character as much as I did Barrie, the idiot TV reporter who stumbles over murder, blackmail and corruption at the White House. The plot twists and turns dragging stupid Barrie along, becoming increasingly implausible with a surprise twist at the end.

This book was first published in 1996, but often seemed like it was written i
Marlene Chabot
If you want to read a riveting book, Exclusive by Sandra Brown is the one to get. Brown takes us on a rollercoaster ride from beginning to end. Reporter Barrie Travis, who gets the ball rolling, just doesn't know when to stop turning over rocks to look for that great story--even if it means the President of the U.S. David Merritt is hauled off to jail. But did he really kill the baby of his wife and her lover? Plenty of action starting with the President's wife, the Presidents, his closest aides ...more
Lenore
From the end of the first few pages, I couldn't put this book down. It covers a fictional scandal in the White House, detailing corruption and numerous crimes. There were some cheesy parts regarding a relationship between two characters that were more reminiscent of a dime store romance novel, but overall those parts were short and the action of the scandal moved along well. Some parts of the scandal I figured out on my own, but there was a nice twist at the end as well as surprises throughout. ...more
Kermit
Das Lesen fiel mir von Anfang an leicht. Die Autorin hat eine Art zu schreiben, die ich als unheimlich angenehm empfinde. Ich liebe Bücher mit ausgefallenem oder anspruchsvollem Schreibstil, bei denen viel zwischen den Zeilen mitschwingt. Aber manchmal möchte ich mir den vollen Lesespaß nicht erst erarbeiten müssen, sondern mich einfach nur treiben lassen und trotzdem gut unterhalten werden. Genau das bietet Sandra Brown. Sie schreibt sehr flüssig und anschaulich und scheint dabei ein natürliche ...more
Kai
The Exclusive is suspense story of the corruption in the Presidential Office. When the First Lady Vanessa Merritt contacted Barrie Travis and hinted that her baby may not have died from SIDS, Barrie started to investigate. Her investigation soon hit a nerve from the White House. She was being followed and her life was in danger. When she went to find Gray Bondurant to find out if he was the father of Vanessa's baby, her life was put into jeopardy.

Barrie Travis took risks that put herself into da
Leeswammes
Exclusive is a thriller from 1996, re-released in 2010.

It is a really nice thriller, fast-paced and a water-tight story. No doubts from me on how likely this or that was (as often is the case with this sort of story, where I have to suspend disbelief).

The only negative thing about the book was that the story involved the president of the USA and his wife. Why is that negative? I prefer stories about average people, I’m not one for body guards and FBI and all that. But, aside from that the story
Febyan Kudrat
Barrie Travis,reporter berbakat yg bekerja di stasiun berita berdana terbatas,WVUE,Hingga pada suatu hari ia diundang Ibu Negara Vanessa Merrit untuk berbincang tentang kematian anaknya yg baru berumur tiga bulan karena SIDS (Sindrom Kematian Bayi Mendadak).Dalam perbincangannya dengan Barrie,Vanesa memberi isyarat bahwa mungkin saja anaknya mati dibunuh.Dalam penyelidikannya tentang kematian putra Sang Presiden,membawa Barrie bertemu Gray Bondurant,mantan asisten Presiden yg mengundurkan diri k ...more
Sanda Brown Super...: Exclusive 1 2 Jul 29, 2014 04:26PM
  • Where There Is Evil
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Cold Hearted
  • Running Scared (Rarities Unlimited, #2)
  • The Perfect Murder (Last Stand Series,  #6)
  • Bait
  • Twice Kissed
  • Impulse
  • Cry Wolf (Doucet #3)
  • Missing

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010), SMASH CUT (2009), & SMOKE SCREEN (2008).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since t
More about Sandra Brown...
Lethal The Alibi Mean Streak Ricochet Chill Factor

“Doesn't it bother your conscience to know that thousands of trees give up their lives just to keep you in reading matter that you dont read?” 3 likes
“and” 0 likes