Start by marking “The Single Helix” as Want to Read:
The Single Helix

The Single Helix

THE SINGLE HELIX is a miscellany of a hundred easy pieces about science. It brings to life a vast diversity of subjects, united under the banner of scientific truth - the universal solvent that brings clarity to almost all the mysteries of the world we live in.

Scientists are trained to know ever more about even less but here Steve Jones sets out deliberately to explore sub
Published November 2nd 2006 by Abacus (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Single Helix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Single Helix

Trevor
Feb 10, 2010 Trevor rated it liked it
Shelves: science
I’m really fond of Yum Cha – despite the fact that it has been years since I’ve eaten Yum Cha – but I really like the idea of it. Lots of little dishes all quite different from each other that come in no particular order and are small enough for you to try things you wouldn’t normally dream of trying if that was all you were going to get, but it is okay given you are only going to have a bite or two to be adventurous.

Not too different from reading friends’ reviews here on Good Reads. I am pretty
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 10, 2010 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
This is a good kind of book for reading in those spaces of time where you don't really have time to read. I could do with more books like it. It's a compendium of a hundred of Steve Jones's newspaper science articles (from the Daily Telegraph I think) and makes for interesting and thought provoking interludes without needing to engage your brain too deeply.
Rossdavidh
Mar 18, 2014 Rossdavidh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: red
Subtitle: A Turn Around the World of Science. There are Big Idea books, and there are Many Ideas books (hopefully one is never stuck reading a book which only has one idea, worth 2-3 pages, which the author takes hundreds of pages to discuss, though such have doubtless been written). I have been reading a lot of Big Idea books, lately. This book, a collection of essays by Steve Jones (the biologist, not the guitar player), is a Many Ideas book.

It's less like an entree, and more like a bag of chi
Nikki
Jun 05, 2014 Nikki rated it it was ok
Meh. This is a collection of short essays, which are easily digestible and often on interesting topics, but they don't go far enough into anything for me. Magpie-like as my brain can be when it comes to interesting facts, this was just too scanty.
Kaye
Jan 31, 2009 Kaye rated it really liked it
A collection of short biology-related articles, this has been my "waiting room" book for quite some time. Now I've finally finished it, and I'm sorry to see it go. "A Taxonomist's Noel" is a hoot and well worth the price of the book.
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2011
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2009
Jakub Glinkowski
Jakub Glinkowski rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Francis Riley
Francis Riley rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Aug 22, 2012
Catherine Bongard
Catherine Bongard rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Una Dimitrijevic
Una Dimitrijevic rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
David
David rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2010
Jon
Jon rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2015
Pouria Hadjibagheri
Pouria Hadjibagheri rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013
Brian Pinnock
Sep 11, 2010 Brian Pinnock rated it it was amazing
What a great book. Perfect bedside table reading. Well constructed, digestible essays.
Marnix
Marnix rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2012
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2010
Gabby
Gabby rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Sam Downie
Sam Downie rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Palmyrah
Palmyrah rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Susan Fehr
Susan Fehr rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Juanita
Juanita rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Alex Llewelyn
Alex Llewelyn rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2011
Simon Clare
Simon Clare rated it it was ok
May 20, 2012
Ash
Ash rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Hallie
Hallie rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016

John Stephen Jones is a Welsh geneticist and from 1995 to 1999 and 2008 to June 2010 was Head of the Department of Genetics, Evolution and Environment at University College London. His studies are conducted in the Galton Laboratory. He is also a television presenter and a prize-winning author on the subject of
More about Steve Jones...