Start by marking “Mutiny on the Enterprise” as Want to Read:
Mutiny on the Enterprise

Mutiny on the Enterprise (Star Trek: The Original Series #12)

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  383 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The Enterprise is crippled in orbit around a dangerous, living, breathing planet, and a desperate peace mission to the Orion Arm is stalled. Kirk has never needed his crew more. But a lithe, alien woman is casting a spell of pacifism, and now mutiny over the crew. Suddenly Captain Kirk's journey for peace has turned into a terrifying war to retake command of his ship.
Published July 1st 1990 by Pocket Books (first published October 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Mutiny on the Enterprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mutiny on the Enterprise

Mike McDevitt
Forgettable, unpalatable, non-Mike-canonical.

The explanation for everyone being out of character is exhaustion, since they just finished enduring Vardeman's other story: 'The Klingon Gambit'

His crew trapped in a roofless wooden pen- Kirk doesn't even TRY the transporter before the phasers? Spock's FIRST attempt at communication with the unknown is now the private and dangerous mind meld? McCoy is so tired he thinks spoiling for a fist fight with Spock makes sense?

The villain Lorelei, Speaker of...more
Roberto
Crapola. Though I did quite like the pacifist female alien Lorelei, who I obvs imagined as looking like Lorelei from Gilmore Girls. I felt let down by Chekov's dialogue not having w's instead of v's to make it sound more authentically Russian. Overall, I'll definitely be reading more Star Trek novels, though I'm not proud of it, and I might even try some of those Murder, She Wrote novels because I say YES to life.
Nicolas R.
Mutiny on the Enterprise is an exciting, chilling, and weird story that fits the style of the original Star Trek series. Written by Hugo award winner Robert Vardeman, Mutiny on the Enterprise shows the main characters of tasked with escorting ambassadors the Orion Arm to stop a war from starting between to worlds. Sounds easy enough. Except that the ship is on it's last legs and to much strain could destroy it. On their journey they end up rescuing an pacifistic alien girl that looks human (on S...more
Katie Bigham
I know I read this book (cause I found it on my bookshelf) but I couldn't remember what happened. So I sat down and read it again. I still can't remember what happened. I'm pretty sure it was good, and was entertaining well I read it but obviously not enough to stick with me.
S. J.
Aug 20, 2012 S. J. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: DIEHARD Star Trek fans
Recommended to S. by: The Series
*2.75 Stars*

*The Gush (Actually the Rant in disguise)*
Ehhh. As you can see, I finished this long ago and am only now getting around to reviewing it. The sad thing is...I WANT TO LIKE THIS BOOK! This is the book everyone should read, particularly now. Except that it sucks.

The idea that the book is addressing is that there are times that armed conflict is necessary, and needs to be a last resort. Peace and sanctity of life should always be what we are striving for, but just because we are committ...more
Jeremiah

Another book to fill my sudden urge to read some Trek -- this one seems like a bad episode of the TV show. The strong part is the depiction of Kirk as an alien slowly causes his entire crew (except Spock) to mutiny. He does, however, take too long to spot what was blatantly obvious to the reader.

Okay for time-filler, but don't expect anything fantastic.
Gabriel Wallis
"Mutiny on the Enterprise" was very entertaining. I absolutely loved reading it. Kirk is sent on a mission with three ambassadors who are needed to squelch a war between two warring races. On their way, the Enterprise catches a distress signal and picks up Lorelei, a woman who subtly manipulates the Enterprise crew members to mutiny against their superiors. The book was a fast read and highly entertaining. I recommend it.
Mark Klooster
Ok. Interesting story, though the characterisations were a bit off.
Michael Hanscom
Most Trek books get a pretty standard 3-star rating. Not great, not bad, but good mindless escapism. This is one of the few to drop below that. Very poor characterizations for most of the main characters, a clumsy story with too many things going on, and some very odd and occasionally uncomfortable scenes (the discussion between Kirk and Lorelei in her quarters, with it's repeated instances of "the pose would be sexual if she didn't look so much like a child," culminating in Kirk starting to com...more
Jim
On the way to a delicate peace conference, the Enterprise stops to rescue an alien woman. Soon, she's used her amazing powers of persuasion to turn most of the crew into militant pacifists who stage a mutiny and exile Kirk, Spock, and a few other officers who still resist her philosophy on a strange and dangerous planet. It was entertaining enough for a Star Trek book, but there was nothing especially memorable about it and the ending was rather predictable.
Chantel
This book was an interesting one for me. I spent the entire novel absolutely HATING Lorelei. If the story hadn't been interesting enough for me, I'd have quit reading it on that basis alone. But then again, if that was the author's intent, he did a FANTASTIC job of it. I also thought the author's use of humor excellent, especially between McCoy and Spock. Made me Lol a few times and I love when a book makes me laugh.
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1983:]. This is one of the latest of the published fiction, and like Vardeman's other entry into the field, it's got the externals right, and otherwise is just a nice little adventure story. Little is made of Kirk's reaction to a mutinous crew. And I think Vardeman makes the Spock-McCoy rivalry a bit too hard-edged. But a pleasant evening's gulp, nonetheless.
Du
It was a quick read. Felt like a mediocre episode of the show. It took just slightly longer to read than it would have to watch :). Some of the Star Trek books are really worth seeking out, and as I age, I find that a book like this one, which I would have loved as a twelve year old, I tolerate as a 37 year old.
Víctor Arturo Mercado Fernández
Una excelente narración basada en los caracteres originales de la serie, una lectura ágil y sin complicaciones, pocas sorpresas y mucha acción, aunque considero que el autor en algunos momentos abusa de la rivalidad existente entre el Bones y Spock.
Charles
It was OK. I didn't like the alien character who was introduced and didn't really buy her gaining such control over the Enterprise crew. the characterization of the main characters was pretty good. An easy read.
Travis
Not a bad story, but to make it work, most of the characters don't sound right, or do things that seem out of character to me.
Renate
Captain Kirk's hairpiece goes rogue and threatens to take over the Enterprise!
Felicia
Okay and trying to make a useful point, but not terribly interesting.
Mike
Predicted the ending halfway through. Very formulaic.
David Rhodes
A fast paced story but the language used was very dated.
Kreg
Very poor characterizations, weak plot.
colleen
read 11.06.84
read 03.21.85
read 04.04.85
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Rory D
Rory D marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
John
John added it
Sep 12, 2014
Emilee
Emilee added it
Sep 07, 2014
Joseph Stiles
Joseph Stiles marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
  • Dwellers in the Crucible
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • The Cry of the Onlies
  • Legacy
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • From the Depths
The Klingon Gambit God of War The War Of Powers The War Of Powers, Part 2: Istu Awakened Cenotaph Road (Cenotaph Road #1)