Start by marking “Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)

Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Original Series #11)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,929 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
With the help of the Vulcan leader T'Pau, Spock gets permission to use the Guardian of Forever, a portal through time constructed by a long-vanished race, to venture into the past. On another trip into history, on the planet Sarpeidon, Spock had loved a woman who could not return with him to the future, and now Spock wishes to see the son she bore him, 5,000 years earlier. ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Pocket Books (first published August 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Yesterday's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yesterday's Son

Buggy
Opening Line: "Captain's Personal Log Stardate 6324.09"

A while ago I caught the classic Star Trek episode All Our Yesterdays on late night TV and got sucked right into the story, as well as just how awesomely cheesy the original series is (I really have to watch it more often) Anyways, I happened to mention the episode to my long time Trekkie Mum who found this tie-in book tucked away on a dust covered shelf (amongst hundreds of others)

YESTERDAY’S SON is a continuation of sorts to that original
Sheryl Tribble
Oct 15, 2016 Sheryl Tribble rated it really liked it
Not a fan of the Big Misunderstanding plot, but it bugged me less this second time through (I was re-reading before tackling the sequel). It's not the main plot by any means, and it's a fairly reasonable mix up. On the whole, the plot buzzes right along, the action keeps my interest, and the original character (who is as important as any of the series characters in this book) is likeable enough.
Charles
Oct 08, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I really enjoyed this book. The idea behind it is pretty cool. Love these tie-ins with the old series.
Jerry
Aug 28, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it
The late A.C. Crispin lives on through her sci-fi works, such as this one, which I enjoyed.
Angela
Dec 23, 2016 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Spock finds out he has a son on an ice planet in the past. He uses the Guardian of Forever to go and save him. Meanwhile, the Enterprise has to stop the Romulans finding out about the Guardian. This is a decent book, the story sounds like fan fiction but is actually written quite well. There are some great character moments, and even though it is obvious what will happen at the end, it is done in a readable way. A good read.
Michael
Nov 24, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
Decent read. A lot of these early Trek novels were hit or miss affairs. This one was a solid hit and I would not hesitate to recommend. The characters were spot on and the plot was fast moving. Overall, a 4 star rating. Now on to the next one....
Anderson Tiago
Jun 13, 2016 Anderson Tiago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Star Trek: Portal do Tempo não é uma novidade para os fãs da série e leitores brasileiros de sci-fi de longa data. O livro já havia sido publicado por aqui em 1991, pela própria Editora Aleph, junto a outros títulos da franquia, facilmente encontrados em sebos hoje em dia. No entanto, a melhor série de ficção científica de todos os tempos merecia muito mais que isso.

Acredito que, impulsionada pelo reboot dirigido pela mente brilhante de J.J. Abrams e pelo sucesso dos livros de Star Wars, a Aleph
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yesterdays' Son takes place during the original 5-year mission, I think, probably near the end of it. I love Star Trek books that tie into the original shows. A.C. Crippin has done a wonderful job of creating a story in the Star Trek world that I remember reading almost 20 years ago.

This story has always stuck out in my memory as one to etch into my brain. There are a few places that I even found myself laughing out loud as her characterization of the main players was perfect, and the humor was
Aron
Jan 22, 2015 Aron rated it liked it
I thought this book was just about average, maybe slightly above. But average ST novels to me are pretty good. I love ST novels & have really only read a couple that I just didn't like. I did a little research before reading this book & learned that this was Crispin's fist ST novel. That being said i was pretty impressed,...she wrote the characters perfectly & it was apparent she was very well versed in ST. This was a good story in its own right but the fact that it was a continuatio ...more
Zoe Blinko
Aug 14, 2015 Zoe Blinko rated it really liked it
A kind of legend among sci fi writers, A.C Crispin does not disappoint in this, now rather old Star Trek novel.

This ties very strongly into the being introduced in the "City at the Edge of Forever" and the character, Zarabeth, seen in "All Our Yesterdays". Spock discovers he is a daddy! The atavachron affected him to the degree that he recessed to the passionate, primitive Vulcan lifestyle prior to that of Surak's philosophical revolution. So what does it mean? He pulls! And, somewhat surprising
Mike Crate
Apr 03, 2016 Mike Crate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
Yesterday's Son is a great read although I have to admit the 5 star rating has a lot to do with the books sequel but any author that chooses to expand upon an original series episode and do it well deserves all the praise I can give.
So we learn that Spock and McCoy's visit to Sarpeidon and their transport thousands of years into its past had significant consequences thanks to evidence found in the archived cultural data. We then get another well known TOS element put to use to address the issue
Anne
Jul 29, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any of these Star Trek spinoff novels, but when I ran across it in a bookstore in Montana, I couldn't say no (heh, supporting America's bookstores can be fun!). Written at about the 6th grade level this wasn't exactly deep and complex, but what it lacked in gravitas it more than made up for in pure fun. Amusing repartee between Spock and Bones? Check! Slashy musings? Check! An unexpected yet delightful Spock, Jr.? (TV shows like Angel could only weep to have a child so charming!) ...more
Aaron Scott
Mar 10, 2013 Aaron Scott rated it really liked it
While the original five year mission only lasted three years on our TV sets, this left a lot of time unaccounted for that could be added to with novels and comic books. A really nice swift, light read, this Trek novel ties in with classic episodes "All Our Yesterdays" and "The City on the Edge of Forever" to create a compelling, sometimes funny, sometimes touching story of Spock discovering a son that lives in another planet and in another time.

It is odd that the cover shows Spock circa the eigh
Dann
Aug 21, 2016 Dann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A sequel to the classic TOS episode “All Our Yesterdays,” Star Trek: Yesterday’s Son is a suspenseful time travel thriller. When Spock discovers archaeological evidence that he fathered a son while stranded 5,000 years in the past on the planet Sarpeidon, he seeks help from the Guardian of Forever to find him. Author A.C. Crispin does a pretty good job at writing the characters, particularly his exploration of Spock and his struggle with his Vulcan nature. However, the storytelling is a little u ...more
Rebecca
Apr 14, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: read2011, startrek
I'm totally enjoying all my tie-in-novel episode rewatches. (Largely because it makes even the most plot-hole riddled books shine in comparison!) This book is pretty faithful to the level of contrivance, the great Spock and McCoy character moments, and the time travel what-ifs of All Our Yesterdays. But lighter on the fannish romance and period costumes, and much heavier on the issues of family and duty, thank god. Am I the only one who was nervous the entire time Zar was on the planet - it was ...more
Killarney Traynor
Mar 06, 2015 Killarney Traynor rated it it was amazing
"Moved me close to tears" is not something you would normally write about a Star Trek book, but A. C. Crispin's Yesterday's Son had me reaching for the tissues by the last page.

When Spock realizes that he left behind a son on the planet Sarpedion (see the 3rd season episode All Our Yesterdays, TOS), he uses the Guardion of Forever (see 1st season episode The City on the Edge of Forever, TOS ) to retrieve him. Only by the time they find the boy, Zar, he is 28, too old to be easily explained as Sp
Ana Lima
Começo dizendo que eu gostei do livro, gostei mesmo. Ele é uma história leve e tranquila que se passa ali, no universo de Star Trek e tem como personagem principal nosso caro amigo Spock.

Achei a história bem amarrada e fluida. Não li mais rápido porque alguns acontecimentos interromperam meu ciclo de leitura, mas juro, dá pra ler em umas 2 sentadas.

O que me fez dar só 3 estrelas pra ele é que ele é meio raso. Ok, sei que Star Trek não é o rei dos aprofundamentos, porém toda a trama é superficial
Mikael Kuoppala
Aug 13, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
A.C. Crispin started her long and productive career with a streamlined and compact novel. In “Yesterday’s Son” she takes the classic Star Trek episodes “City on the Edge of Forever” and “All Our Yesterdays” and creates a solid continuations to those tales.

The tale is rather simple in structure, but the focus is clearly and thankfully in prose and character instead of plot twists and narrative gimmicks. We get to follow an original character go through a revolutionary changes in life and this sma
Jeff
Dec 09, 2014 Jeff rated it it was ok
I thought I'd like this more than I did... As I rather like the episode it's based on (all our yesterdays).

I think what really holds me back from enjoying this book more are three things:
1) for much of the book the plot just kinda meanders with no real sense of urgency or goal.

2) I don't really like spock's son. Or his mary sue mind hax powers.

3) The characterizations of the Romulans were WAAAAYY off. They were portrayed as a primitive, stupid, and savage species....

Still there were good pa
Surreysmum
May 30, 2010 Surreysmum rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1983, star-trek
[These notes were made in 1983:]. Altogether one of the best ST novels I've read. Literate, with a good grasp of plot development & characterization, it deals with Spock & emotion without going goo-goo-eyed over the whole thing. The plot is directly based on the "Library" episode, Spock's prehistoric inamorata being supposed to have borne him a son (a very unVulcan one, except for the ears). A trip back thru' time retrieves this son, long enough for him to help in a campaign against the ...more
Röbert Fenske
Jan 23, 2015 Röbert Fenske rated it it was amazing
This well written story felt like returning back to the original series as the author portrays the crew of the Enterprise wonderfully.

It was entertaining to see Spock attempt to be a father to Zar, a son he has never knew existed. This is the beauty of the characters portrayals. As Spock struggles to teach his son the Vulcan ways, Kirk and McCoy act as a counter-balance.

Although there is a high-stakes incident with the Romulans, this story is driven more by the character interactions with Zar.
Ulrich Krieghund
Oct 13, 2015 Ulrich Krieghund rated it liked it
This novel follows up on two episodes, a good one, "All Our Yesterdays" and probably the best episode in the original series, "City on the Edge of Forever".

It's an entertaining story and according to the forward, the author's first published novel. There's a follow-up to Yesterday's Son that I'll be reading called Yesterday's Saga.

I used to avoid Star Trek novels as I did not consider them a part of the canon or official story line. However, after the Star Trek reboot started monkeying with the
Kati
Feb 04, 2013 Kati rated it really liked it
I usually don't like original characters in tie-in novels but Zar was amazing. Actually, he was so amazing that if there was a book just about him and his adventures, I would read it! But the ending made me cry. I literally bawled like a child. I mean, I was happy for Zar, I was happy that he found a purpose in his life and that Spock understood and let him go. At the same time... just remembering the last scene, the pictures Zar left to Spock... And yup, I'm bawling again.

This was, hands down,
David
Apr 22, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Really quite enjoyed reading my first Star Trek novel. I loved Mr. Spock's son who is introduced here. Not so hot on the novel's resolution which like most series episodes resets the status quo. Went back and forth picturing in my head both the original crew and the Abrams-verse crews. The novel itself was well done. Just like an Original Series episode. Under 200 pages. Loved that. Love short novels! I think I'll try a few more of these Star Trek novels as we sure are short on on-screen materia ...more
Bev
Mar 11, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the early classic Trek novels. Some were admittedly, a little too fan-fictiony, but the fans loved this show and didn't want the stories to stop. The passion for the characters and Roddenberry vision almost always came through. Sometimes better than others. This is terrific. A C Crispin takes a very good moment from an original episode (Spock & Zarabeth) and plays "what happened next?"--from Zarabeth's side of the story. And does an terrific job.
Chelsea
Aug 23, 2012 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-travel, sci-fi
So far this is my favorite Star Trek novel. I was very excited to read this book after I realized that it was a 'continuation' of the episode "All Our Yesterdays." I felt that this novel was very faithful to that episode, the characters, and Star Trek in general. I was happy to learn more about Vulcans and their family life. This book brought the right mix of action, suspense, and Vulcans to life for me. A very very good read.
Daniel Kukwa
May 29, 2015 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
One of the first Star Trek novels I ever read...and it had to be the one that revealed Spock had a son with Zarabeth, from "All Our Yesterdays". Talk about shredding a young boy's imagination! These days, it seems too short for its ambitious premise...but it held this 11 year old in a solid vice grip of geeky rapture. It also leads to an even better sequel...that takes advantage of a greater page count.
Tom
Dec 16, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing
YESTERDAY'S SON is a quality piece of Trek history. The book is satisfying for the causal Trek fan and the hard core fan alike. The characters are captured in perfect detail. Crispin is known for meticulous attention to detail. I have read many of her works and have enjoyed every one of them. I just wish other Trek writers would take lessons from her and her ability to nail the protagonists perfectly. I read this while on vacation, and it made the trip even better. Fantastic book!
Jose
Nov 06, 2011 Jose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Supposedly this was Ann's first book, and its a very nice start to her writing career. The story was believable, used the concept of one of the last episodes on TOS and drove in a completely new story.
Very gripping, i read through it in two days with ease.
Its picture of Spock with its hidden (or suppressed) emotions is well portrayed and the ending was unexpected.
I may look up other works of AC Crispin to see if they're this enjoyable.
Erin
Aug 13, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
Excellent! For some reason, it reminded me a little of The Hunger Games - just the way it was framed, and the battle scenes and hiding out it caves and such. But, obviously, to me, better than The Hunger Games. I liked Spock's evolving relationship with his son, and the ending. Oh, the ending! I see that there's a sequel to this book, and now I'm going to read it.
  • Uhura's Song
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Ishmael (Star Trek: The Original Series, #23)
  • The Wounded Sky
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • Black Fire
  • Final Frontier
  • Bloodthirst
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • Killing Time
  • The Rift
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Dreams of the Raven (Star Trek #34)
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • Vulcan's Glory
A.C. Crispin, a best-selling science fiction and fantasy author who wrote tie-in novels for the “Star Wars” franchise and a prequel providing the back story for the popular movie series “Pirates of the Caribbean,” died Sept. 6, 2013 at the Hospice of Charles County in Waldorf. She was 63.

Ann Carol Crispin was an American science fiction writer, the author of over twenty published novels. She wrote
More about A.C. Crispin...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans

“No — other men's eye's don't do anything for me, I'm afraid." Sulu grinned.” 0 likes