Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)

Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Original Series #11)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,318 ratings  ·  43 reviews
With the help of the Vulcan leader T'Pau, Spock gets permission to use the Guardian of Forever, a portal through time constructed by a long-vanished race, to venture into the past. On another trip into history, on the planet Sarpeidon, Spock had loved a woman who could not return with him to the future, and now Spock wishes to see the son she bore him, 5,000 years earlier....more
Published August 1st 1999 by Pocket Books (first published August 1st 1983)

Imzadi by Peter DavidSpock's World by Diane DuaneUhura's Song by Janet KaganYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
4th out of 217 books — 148 voters
The Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean LorrahUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinDoctor's Orders by Diane Duane
Best Star Trek The Original Series Books
4th out of 61 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Buggy
Opening Line: "Captain's Personal Log Stardate 6324.09"

A while ago I caught the classic Star Trek episode All Our Yesterdays on late night TV and got sucked right into the story, as well as just how awesomely cheesy the original series is (I really have to watch it more often) Anyways, I happened to mention the episode to my long time Trekkie Mum who found this tie-in book tucked away on a dust covered shelf (amongst hundreds of others)

YESTERDAY’S SON is a continuation of sorts to that original...more
Aaron Scott
While the original five year mission only lasted three years on our TV sets, this left a lot of time unaccounted for that could be added to with novels and comic books. A really nice swift, light read, this Trek novel ties in with classic episodes "All Our Yesterdays" and "The City on the Edge of Forever" to create a compelling, sometimes funny, sometimes touching story of Spock discovering a son that lives in another planet and in another time.

It is odd that the cover shows Spock circa the eigh...more
Rebecca
I'm totally enjoying all my tie-in-novel episode rewatches. (Largely because it makes even the most plot-hole riddled books shine in comparison!) This book is pretty faithful to the level of contrivance, the great Spock and McCoy character moments, and the time travel what-ifs of All Our Yesterdays. But lighter on the fannish romance and period costumes, and much heavier on the issues of family and duty, thank god. Am I the only one who was nervous the entire time Zar was on the planet - it was...more
Mikael Kuoppala
A.C. Crispin started her long and productive career with a streamlined and compact novel. In “Yesterday’s Son” she takes the classic Star Trek episodes “City on the Edge of Forever” and “All Our Yesterdays” and creates a solid continuations to those tales.

The tale is rather simple in structure, but the focus is clearly and thankfully in prose and character instead of plot twists and narrative gimmicks. We get to follow an original character go through a revolutionary changes in life and this sma...more
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1983:]. Altogether one of the best ST novels I've read. Literate, with a good grasp of plot development & characterization, it deals with Spock & emotion without going goo-goo-eyed over the whole thing. The plot is directly based on the "Library" episode, Spock's prehistoric inamorata being supposed to have borne him a son (a very unVulcan one, except for the ears). A trip back thru' time retrieves this son, long enough for him to help in a campaign against the...more
Mike Doyle
I love how the TOS episode Time for Yesterday was expanded with this novel.
Kati
I usually don't like original characters in tie-in novels but Zar was amazing. Actually, he was so amazing that if there was a book just about him and his adventures, I would read it! But the ending made me cry. I literally bawled like a child. I mean, I was happy for Zar, I was happy that he found a purpose in his life and that Spock understood and let him go. At the same time... just remembering the last scene, the pictures Zar left to Spock... And yup, I'm bawling again.

This was, hands down,...more
Bev Hankins
I loved the early classic Trek novels. Some were admittedly, a little too fan-fictiony, but the fans loved this show and didn't want the stories to stop. The passion for the characters and Roddenberry vision almost always came through. Sometimes better than others. This is terrific. A C Crispin takes a very good moment from an original episode (Spock & Zarabeth) and plays "what happened next?"--from Zarabeth's side of the story. And does an terrific job.
Jose
Supposedly this was Ann's first book, and its a very nice start to her writing career. The story was believable, used the concept of one of the last episodes on TOS and drove in a completely new story.
Very gripping, i read through it in two days with ease.
Its picture of Spock with its hidden (or suppressed) emotions is well portrayed and the ending was unexpected.
I may look up other works of AC Crispin to see if they're this enjoyable.
Chelsea
So far this is my favorite Star Trek novel. I was very excited to read this book after I realized that it was a 'continuation' of the episode "All Our Yesterdays." I felt that this novel was very faithful to that episode, the characters, and Star Trek in general. I was happy to learn more about Vulcans and their family life. This book brought the right mix of action, suspense, and Vulcans to life for me. A very very good read.
Daniel Kukwa
One of the first Star Trek novels I ever read...and it had to be the one that revealed Spock had a son with Zarabeth, from "All Our Yesterdays". Talk about shredding a young boy's imagination! These days, it seems too short for its ambitious premise...but it held this 11 year old in a solid vice grip of geeky rapture. It also leads to an even better sequel...that takes advantage of a greater page count.
Kenneth Flusche
Ann R.I.P. I admit it I'm Star wars not Star Treck but since I loved how Ann gave emotions and humanity to Han Solo with her passing I need to read everything of hers in the Norfolk Library System. This paper back from storage was beat up but all the pages was there and it was read in less than a week-end. Brought back memories of the TV show and gave Mr. Spock a little character.
Jana Babáčková
Every ST fan loves it - maybe because of Original Series, maybe because of Spock hidden emotions, his woman in love & his son... but this book makes me sad. There are a lot of better books about Vulcan and their lives like "Vulcan Academy Murders", there is no reason for writing time travel stories when we wants to know something about them (or about Spock).
Erin
Excellent! For some reason, it reminded me a little of The Hunger Games - just the way it was framed, and the battle scenes and hiding out it caves and such. But, obviously, to me, better than The Hunger Games. I liked Spock's evolving relationship with his son, and the ending. Oh, the ending! I see that there's a sequel to this book, and now I'm going to read it.
Jonathan
Part of my Star Trek novel binge. Read this. Thought it would be interesting. I was wrong. It is a sequel to a rather lackluster Star Trek episode. It pretty much goes nowhere and does nothing. There are Romulans but they are just filler for "Space Baddies". Rather bland.
Heather Domin
This is a short and exciting read; the premise is right up my alley, and it's handled well (though I think I might have screamed if I saw "the younger man" repeated one more time). Really liked Zar, his arc and resolution. Looking forward to reading the sequel.
Jo
Too fun! Great trek adventure and nice characterization of Spock. Part of Bones, who takes a central role, was very well done. Loved Zar's character and his abilities. Highly recommended for any Trekkie TOS fan.
Travis
Definately one of the better Star Trek novels... Reading these is usually hit or miss. In this case it's a hit. A well told story that brings many common elements that Star Trek fans are sure to enjoy. Great light read!
Bill
Very good read from Star Trek TOS. If you remember 'All Our Yesterdays' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Our_...) then you will enjoy the story development here.
Travis
So-so sequel to an original series episode that got built up as a 'classic' mostly by women who had a crush on Spock.
Entertaining, but not great. Though, I give Crispin credit for using Trek history.

Javier
This book was better than I thought it would be. The characters seemed true to the series and there was a decent amount of action. The plot is very thin so read this one if you want a fun read.
John
Jul 27, 2011 John added it
Excellent classic Trek book! I read it once many years ago, but at my age and with my retention, it was all new again this time. Looking forward to reading the sequel soon.
Yaaresse
I went through a ST novel era some years back. This was one of the best in the series, coming in second only to Sarek. Crispin never fails with her novels.
Felicia
The plot was okay, and there were bits where I was getting a bit annoyed with the story. However, the ending was quite satisfactory, so all was forgiven.
Greg Lindsay
This is one of my favorite Star Trek books. A.C. Crispin has a talent for writing no doubt, particularly it seams when Vulcans are involved.
Andy  Langford
I remember watching this episode in the '80s, its very similar to the TV episode, or was the TV episode similar to the book?
Sherri
REMNANTS OF MY TREKKIE DAYS.. LOVED THIS ONE AND ALSO 'TIME FOR YESTERDAY' -- START TREK IS CLASSIC!
John Yelverton
This was a very interesting story, but there were several chapters that did not ring true to "Star Trek".
Michael Taylor
An extremely well written book, it captures the essence of the Classice Series completely. Time well spent!
Charles
I really enjoyed this book. The idea behind it is pretty cool. Love these tie-ins with the old series.
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • Uhura's Song
  • Vulcan's Glory
  • The Rift
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • The Kobayashi Maru
A.C. Crispin, a best-selling science fiction and fantasy author who wrote tie-in novels for the “Star Wars” franchise and a prequel providing the back story for the popular movie series “Pirates of the Caribbean,” died Sept. 6, 2013 at the Hospice of Charles County in Waldorf. She was 63.

Ann Carol Crispin was an American science fiction writer, the author of over twenty published novels. She wrote...more
More about A.C. Crispin...
Rebel Dawn (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #3) The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2) The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #1) Sarek Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)