Start by marking “Having A Mary Heart in a Martha World” as Want to Read:
Having A Mary Heart in a Martha World

Having A Mary Heart in a Martha World

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  12,204 Ratings  ·  399 Reviews
With nearly a million copies sold, Joanna Weaver's popular book shows women how to blend intimacy with Jesus and service for Him.

An invitation for every woman who feels she isn't godly enough...isn't loving enough...isn't doing enough. The life of a woman today isn't really all that different from that of Mary and Martha in the New Testament. Like Mary, you long to sit
Hardcover
Published January 1st 2000 by Crossings Book Club

To ask other readers questions about Having A Mary Heart in a Martha World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Having A Mary Heart in a Martha World

TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey

The life of a woman today isn't really all that different from that of Mary and Martha in the New Testament. Like Mary, you long to sit at the Lord's feet...but the daily demands of a busy world just won't leave you alone. Like Martha, you love Jesus and really want to serve him...yet you struggle with weariness, resentment, and feelings of inadequacy.

Then comes Jesus, right into the midst of
Cynthia
Nov 10, 2007 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-it
Any woman who has ever been overwhelmed by the responsibilities in her life needs to read this book. It's a Jesus book, let me just get that out there right now. But it's a Jesus book that's full of insight into why we need to stop doing doing doing (as Martha did) and start stopping and listening as Mary did.

Oh, and the "Martha World" doesn't refer to Martha Stewart -- although the allusion works quite well. It refers to the New Testament story of Jesus going to visit Martha, Mary and their bro
Christine Abraham
A wonderful book for any Christian Woman to read is Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver. This powerful book details the differences between Martha and Mary, the two sisters of Lazarus in the bible. Martha is described as “the original Martha Stewart, the New Testament’s Proverbs 31 woman, and Israel’s answer to Betty Crocker.” She is busy serving and preparing for Jesus, while Mary worships and listens at the feet of Jesus. While both roles are important, the purpose of the bo ...more
Hannah
Dec 06, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great book! I learned a lot and took a lot of notes and wrote down many quotes. :) I'm not going to give a thorough review as I'm going to be having some blog posts on what I learned, but it was very good! I did not agree with everything she said, but there were a lot of really good and challenging truths!!

A wonderful book to help you balance "work and worship"!
Lisa
Jan 02, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really hit home with me. I am a Mary type, while my sister is a Martha. It really made me see that both types are important but that you need to be aware of the differences. It tells you both types are a way to serve God. I really enjoyed reading this book.
Denise
Jan 14, 2008 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lines that I loved from this book:

Have you ever tried to do it all? I have, I do, and I probably always will. It’s not only in my nature; it’s also in my job description – and yours, too. Being a woman requires more stamina, more creativity, and more wisdom than I ever dreamed as a young girl. And that’s not just for today’s busy women. It has always been the case.

With everything still left to do, there sits little Mary, being quite contrary, crashing a party meant only for men. But worse, she s
Jen
Aug 01, 2011 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel a little guilty about not liking this book very much. I know so many Christian women who found it quite nice, and I really wanted to love it and feel changed by it in some way...

I don't believe my dislike for "Having A Mary Heart in a Martha World" has to do with lack of faith or lack of a personal relationship with Jesus; rather, it has to do with the book itself. First off, it is basically a self-help style book, complete with space for notes and journaling. As one who subscribes to th
Christina
Jan 07, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I really tried to take my time reading this book because I wanted to reflect on the author's observations. Two things I really liked about this book:

1) The author's transparency, in giving examples from her life experiences and also in how hard it was for her personally to write this book. She really struggled with it and you really understand her sense of wanting to be changed by what she is learning and sharing in this book. I too, feel I have so much further to go in my journey and struggle w
Karen & Gerard
When I saw this title, it peeked my curiosity because I have been making more of an effort to be more like Mary than a Martha. It is a reference to a short story about two sisters in the Bible. Martha is the busy frazzled one preparing the meal for the company and Mary is the one who visits with Jesus instead of helping Martha. Jesus said Mary chose the better part. I think Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World Joanna Weaver would make an excellent Bible study. It is loaded with scripture and pr ...more
Magda
Oct 03, 2007 Magda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, unfinished
There are things to be gotten out of this book, but it's definitely too Protestant for me to feel comfortable with it entirely. Again, I didn't finish the book.

----one-star below, October 1, 2007
Not really something I would choose to read. Vassi asked whether anyone had read it, so I got it from the library to review for her. I had to return it to the library before I finished the last chapter and a half, as someone else had requested it.

Things I liked: The concrete what-to-do blurbs suggesting
Michelle
Apr 08, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Becky
Shelves: spiritual
This book was aloe vera to an overwhelmed spirit; I've rarely been so perfectly "in tune" and needing exactly what a book delivered at that moment as this book now. I've struggled with this story, struggled with the reality of trying to live a spiritual life, at a slow and savoring pace, and still getting done all the "stuff" that perpetually needs doing.
Weaver does an exceptional job of taking meaning from this story and applying it to real life, because she has struggled with the exact same th
Shelly
Sep 27, 2008 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every woman who wants to know about Jesus
Recommended to Shelly by: My sister
I first thought " how could there be a whole book on this topic??", but the author provides so much more...like how important it is to have a daily relationship with the Lord. I love how she talks about not giving God what you want you think He wants you to give, but rather being like Mary, She came to Jesus with everything she had(a vessel of fragrance) and poured it on His feet. She didn't just use enough to clean Him, or enough to get the job done,but she broke open the container to give ALL, ...more
taramarie79
Feb 28, 2014 taramarie79 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this awhile ago, own it, and will re-read it again. It's a very powerful book that emphasizes the importance of prayer in your life. Mary was busy but Mary was at Jesus feet. So many times we get caught up being "busy" that we forget to take time for God and listening for Him, even when we are busy for Him. This one has been lent out and I plan to re-read it again soon.
Marge
Jun 05, 2013 Marge rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise and scripture that supports taking time for God is right-on, but the style of writing and journaling is not for me. And I still don't understand how things get done if we don't take the time to do them.
Trisha
Apr 10, 2009 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was written for me. It was such a great biblical based reminder of how we should live in this world. You need to read this book if you have a busy life.
Carol
Apr 27, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic, I wish I could have taken time to read it through a second time and do the study portion at the end. I learned so much about keeping the right focus and balance in my life.
Linda
Jan 30, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
I am loving this book, I'm reading and studying a chapter a day. Great bible study for women. Very insightful and relevant. This will be a book I will refer back to. Striving for that Mary heart!
Cherri
Dec 20, 2012 Cherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book, wonderful message especially for those of us who feel pulled in a million different directions and wonder why we're having trouble hearing God's voice.
Liz Murray
Dec 03, 2016 Liz Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read on spirituality as a woman, wife and mother . It is a rational and practical approach to living one's faith and integrating time with God into our everyday lives. I found it at times a little bit difficult to stick with it, but in the end I was happy that I experienced this book. I am going to buy my own copy and do the 12 week Bible study as a follow-up.
Samantha
I really liked this book the first time that I read it but now that I've had time to reflect, I had to take away a star. What is so wrong with being a type A personality? Didn't God make us this way for a reason? I feel like this book puts submissiveness on a pedestal and I can't agree with it.
Carolyn
Jan 21, 2017 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, 2017
Really enjoyed reading this book and exploring the work/worship relationship in my own life. Honestly written with openness and passion.
Connie Whisler
Jan 28, 2017 Connie Whisler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for women of any age!
Gertrud
Jan 23, 2017 Gertrud rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Highly recommend
Michelle Rabon
Dec 13, 2016 Michelle Rabon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Wonderful book...we did this in our women's Bible study...it was a treasure!
Sherri
Feb 13, 2017 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
good ideas and study guide in the back.
Betty
Jan 09, 2017 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only did I love her writing style, but the author, Joanna Weaver, had insights into the story of Mary and Martha that were far reaching. I gained wisdom while reading and studying this book.

Many women quickly admit they are Martha rather than Mary. That is not all bad. We need to realize the Lord is inviting us into the living room to sit at his feet and learn. It increased my desire to read the scriptures, and ponder them in a more personal way. The questions at the end of the book were ve
Tammy B
Dec 31, 2016 Tammy B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have taken a long time to read this book, but for good reason; there were just so many passages that I wanted to reread and reflect on. Joanna Weaver seemed to be speaking directly to me - a first class Martha. Most of us know that we need to slow down and redirect our energy, but she did it through inspiration rather than a lecture. Finally, she shared her own realization about how we need to find a balance of both our Martha-ness and our Mary-ness. This book can also be used as a Bible study ...more
Helen
This is by far one of the most well written, beautiful and helpful Christian books I've ever read. Often I find these sorts of books trite and just regurgitating common sense, and rather over simplistic and condescending. Not so this one. The author Joanna Weaver puts herself firmly in the reader's shoes and you can easily identify with what she says. She identifies with you, and doesn't judge, even though she has a thoroughly important message. And, whilst the message is simple - based on the f ...more
Maria
Dec 27, 2016 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, in-2016
An interesting perspective on bringing God more into your day-to-day life, but it seems rather one-dimensional to me given that this is written for Protestant Christians and I am Eastern Orthodox. Some passages made me think, others are not applicable given the difference in the two religions.
Jennifer Gelert
Dec 21, 2016 Jennifer Gelert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just spent the fall studying this book in our Wednesday night Bible study. My eyes were opened in so many ways. Things that God has been trying to teach me finally clicked! I want to have a Mary heart in a Martha world!
  • Loving God with All Your Mind
  • Calm My Anxious Heart
  • Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free
  • Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible, and What He Wants to Do with You
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Praying God's Word: Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds
  • Let Me Be a Woman
  • Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them
  • The Excellent Wife: A Biblical Perspective
  • Pathway to Purpose for Women: Connecting Your To-Do List, Your Passions, and God's Purposes for Your Life
  • Lord, I Want to Know You: A Devotional Study on the Names of God
  • Every Woman's Battle: Discovering God's Plan for Sexual and Emotional Fulfillment
  • Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl
  • In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love
  • Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother
  • Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • Streams in the Desert
Joanna Weaver is known the world over for her transparent and life-changing books, Having A Mary Heart in a Martha World, Having a Mary Spirit and Lazarus Awakening. These books have sold over a million copies. Joanna has appeared on a wide variety of nationally syndicated radio and television broadcasts. She loves sharing the heart of God for women at conferences around the country.
More about Joanna Weaver...

“We only trust people we know,' says Martha Tennison...'If you're struggling to trust God, it may be because you don't really know God.” 10 likes
“All over the world, people go to unimaginable lengths to find God--which is sad when you consider the unimaginable lengths God has already gone to find us” 8 likes