Start by marking “Duncan's War (Crown and Covenant, #1)” as Want to Read:
Duncan's War (Crown and Covenant, #1)
Preview

Duncan's War (Crown and Covenant #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  27 reviews
While attempting to rescue his father from James Turner's Dragoons, Duncan M'Kethe is torn by his hatred of the persecutors and his father's instructions to love them.
Published January 1st 2002 by P & R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Duncan's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duncan's War

Leah
As a whole, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a historical fiction of the Scottish Covenanters in the 17th century, with Duncan as the main character, a young man who wrestles through the thoughts of his heart in regards to the English oppressors of the Kirk(church), whether he hates them more, or loves Christ more. It is here we get a glimpse into the heart of the issue, as well as get some mentions of the likes of Samuel Rutherford! His Letters are mentioned quite a few times in here.

This b
Joseph
I really enjoyed this book, as well as the others inthis series. It's really interesting and thought prevoking how the Scottish Covenators endured all the persecution. It challenged me to be ready for persecution, which comes more often than you think.

Douglas Bond did a wonderful job bringing back his readers to this very important time in Christian history. When I was reading this I felt like I was there in Scotland with Duncan and his family. It was amazing!
Chaotician
Not a bad book series. Historical fiction isn't my favorite form of writing, but still it's pretty good.
Rebecca
We had a lot of fun reading this book together! I highly recommend it!
Steve Hemmeke
Pretty good. Historical fiction about Scottish uprising in 1666. I know little about this history. Previewing for my 10 and 8 year olds: the violence gets a little graphic. Maybe wait until 12?

There is a strong Scottish accent throughout, even with words like "ken" (know) and "dunnae" (do not) all over the place. Helped set the tone, but a little overdone.

The main theme was how to deal with oppression: not to respond with hate and violence, but with patience and love. Trusting God, but also prep
Heidi*
This book is about a boy (Duncan) and his family who live in Scotland in 1666. They are Covananters and are under persucution by the Royalist's. They live in South-western Scotland near the town Dalry. The main characters are fiction but the historical figures (such as; leading soldiers, preachers, Royalist's army commanders...etc.) were real people in history.
I liked this book because it tells of how Duncan is struggling with loving his enemies and his father is teaching him that God's will a
Rachel
This book was AMAZING!! :D It was so much more than just a good fiction read, with great encouragement for your faith in God. I also was so inspired by the godly attitude towards war and the lessons there for both young men and women. :) I would recommend this book to all!

The only thing I had to mention was that because it is a book about war and persecution, there were a few parts towards the middle to the end that some young or sensitive minds might find disturbing (hangings, and other forms o
Seth Isaiah Bendigo
I thought it was a very good book. At the beginning it was harder for me to get interested into the book, but as I got farther into the book the plot thickened and grew more complex and interesting.
Kim Southwell
The story of the Covenanters is so inspiring and challenging to my faith. And it gave us a good view of the history of the day.
Bekah
I had read the "Mr. Pipe's Series," from Mr. Bond, so I was excited to read the "Crown and Covenant Series" as well; I enjoyed it immensely, I came away from reading this trilogy with a deeper understanding and gratefulness of the freedom of religion that we enjoy today.

This book series is very intense, so I wouldn't recommend it for very young children, as it does contain some very gruesome scenes. So just beware.

Douglas Bond is one of my favorite authors; I love how he weaves in history throu
Allison Hawbaker
I read this book for the first time several years ago and I enjoy it every time. This book first sparked my interest in the trials of the Scottish Covenanters leading me to books such as In Freedom's Cause by G. A. Henty and Hunted and Harried by R. M. Ballantyne.

The story is exciting and it relays the struggles and the faith of the covenants.
Note: Because of the battle and some description of tortures it may not be good for young children.
Brittany
When Duncan's father is captured by the dragoons,Duncan must do all he can to to rescue his father.With the help of some friends, Duncan sets out on a daring rescue mission.
I really enjoyed this story. I loved the Scottish history and characters, and I enjoyed learning about the Covenanters. Although it is written for ages 10-14, it is still plenty enjoyable for adults as well. I definitely recommend this as a good book. Especially if you have a fascination with Scotland!
Bobbie
I don't have time for a full review, but I've read this book over and over again during the last couple years. Unlike most historical fiction, this is really well written and tells a touching story of a family in Scotland fighting for their freedom. I love how well fleshed out the characters are and how action packed the story is.
Bill Peacock
My first Douglas Bond book. But have already started on my second. Read this one to my son. It is very good historical fiction for boys/teens with a deliberate Gospel bent. And a great story, following a Scottish Covenenter family suffering persecution from the English for worshiping Christ rather than the Church of England.
Karla M
I pre-read the entire Crown & Covenant series for my sons' unit study on Scotland. This series along with Henty's book of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce was a wonderful combination for our study on Scotland. I topped it off with short biographies of some of the biographies of the great Scottish pastors of that era.
Bill
A good story, it certainly gave me a new appreciation for the antipathy between the Presbyterians and the Anglicans!
Over all a fine book. I think if I was younger and more interested in wars and battles I would have really enjoyed it. It did have some really neat history about the Scottish Church. That was pretty awesomely inspiring. I'm not sure if I will read the sequels or not.
Janice
When I got breast cancer my good friend sent me this book. Odd for one with breast cancer? No, you see it was her son who illustrated the book and I was his third grade teacher. He wrote the inscription and it made me so proud.
Mary
I loved this book, and most of my kids did too. It moved a little bit slowly in parts, but overall, a great book and an excellent way to learn about history through an engaging and God-honoring story.
Dana Adams
Douglas Bond is an incredible author!! He has been the favorite of all our 11 children for nearly ten years!!! His knowledge and wisdom help him to weave a captivating tale in this trilogy!
Abigail Rasmussen
Mom read this out loud when I was round 16 or 17. Loved it then, and love it still. All my younger brothers and sisters love it as well.
Aidan
This is one of my favorite books. I have always enjoyed Mr. Bond's work and am looking forward to reading some more of his books!
Elissa
This is an excellent book, I've already read the whole series before, but it's been along time, so I'm reading them again
Carol Larson
Great book. I love singing the psalms so the many metrical verses included were a great blessing.
Faith
Mr. Bond has a way of sending you back in time that I absolutely love (and strive to copy)!
Ange
A Children's book. Good theology and good Scottish history.
Meadow
This was not my type of book. Mainly for boys.
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Nina Elise
Nina Elise marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
  • In Freedom's Cause: A Story of Wallace and Bruce
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Blood Feud
  • Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • The Hawk That Dare Not Hunt by Day
Douglas Bond, author of fifteen books, lives with his wife and six children in Washington State. He is a ruling elder in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), teaches English and history at Covenant High School, and was awarded the regional Teacher Award for teaching young people how to write. He lectures on literature and Church history and leads study tours in Europe.
More about Douglas Bond...

Crown and Covenant (3 books)
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2) Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3) Hostage Lands The Betrayal: A Novel on John Calvin Guns of Thunder