Start by marking “Duncan's War (Crown and Covenant, #1)” as Want to Read:
Duncan's War (Crown and Covenant, #1)

Duncan's War (Crown and Covenant #1)

Young Duncan M'Kethe finds himself caught in the web of Sir James Turner, the former Covenanter turned military leader of the persecutors. Duncan is torn by his hatred of Turner's Dragoons, who have treated his friends cruelly, and his father's instructions to love them. He must be true to Jesus Christ while attempting to rescue his father from enemy hands.
Published July 31st 2002 by P & R Publishing (first published July 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Duncan's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duncan's War

Leah
Jun 21, 2013 Leah rated it it was amazing
As a whole, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a historical fiction of the Scottish Covenanters in the 17th century, with Duncan as the main character, a young man who wrestles through the thoughts of his heart in regards to the English oppressors of the Kirk(church), whether he hates them more, or loves Christ more. It is here we get a glimpse into the heart of the issue, as well as get some mentions of the likes of Samuel Rutherford! His Letters are mentioned quite a few times in here.

This b
Joey
Mar 04, 2010 Joey rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, as well as the others inthis series. It's really interesting and thought prevoking how the Scottish Covenators endured all the persecution. It challenged me to be ready for persecution, which comes more often than you think.

Douglas Bond did a wonderful job bringing back his readers to this very important time in Christian history. When I was reading this I felt like I was there in Scotland with Duncan and his family. It was amazing!
Chaotician
Oct 12, 2007 Chaotician rated it it was ok
Not a bad book series. Historical fiction isn't my favorite form of writing, but still it's pretty good.
Rebecca
Aug 28, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
We had a lot of fun reading this book together! I highly recommend it!
Star Shining Forever
Set in the wild and beautiful highlands of Scotland, this is a tale of devotion, courage, and sacrifice of the Scottish Covenanters. The fictional M'Kethe family is the centerpiece of the story. They and their friends must decide how to respond to the English king's and the local authorities' hostility toward the Covenanters, who just want to worship God in peace, not the king's way.

They cannot submit to the king, that much is certain. But when the troops come for them, what can they do? What m
Steve Hemmeke
Nov 11, 2011 Steve Hemmeke rated it liked it
Pretty good. Historical fiction about Scottish uprising in 1666. I know little about this history. Previewing for my 10 and 8 year olds: the violence gets a little graphic. Maybe wait until 12?

There is a strong Scottish accent throughout, even with words like "ken" (know) and "dunnae" (do not) all over the place. Helped set the tone, but a little overdone.

The main theme was how to deal with oppression: not to respond with hate and violence, but with patience and love. Trusting God, but also prep
Heidi*
Nov 27, 2007 Heidi* rated it it was amazing
This book is about a boy (Duncan) and his family who live in Scotland in 1666. They are Covananters and are under persucution by the Royalist's. They live in South-western Scotland near the town Dalry. The main characters are fiction but the historical figures (such as; leading soldiers, preachers, Royalist's army commanders...etc.) were real people in history.
I liked this book because it tells of how Duncan is struggling with loving his enemies and his father is teaching him that God's will a
Rachel
This book was AMAZING!! :D It was so much more than just a good fiction read, with great encouragement for your faith in God. I also was so inspired by the godly attitude towards war and the lessons there for both young men and women. :) I would recommend this book to all!

The only thing I had to mention was that because it is a book about war and persecution, there were a few parts towards the middle to the end that some young or sensitive minds might find disturbing (hangings, and other forms o
Bekah
Nov 21, 2013 Bekah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I had read the "Mr. Pipe's Series," from Mr. Bond, so I was excited to read the "Crown and Covenant Series" as well; I enjoyed it immensely, I came away from reading this trilogy with a deeper understanding and gratefulness of the freedom of religion that we enjoy today.

This book series is very intense, so I wouldn't recommend it for very young children, as it does contain some very gruesome scenes. So just beware.

Douglas Bond is one of my favorite authors; I love how he weaves in history throu
Allison Hawbaker
Jun 06, 2014 Allison Hawbaker rated it really liked it
I read this book for the first time several years ago and I enjoy it every time. This book first sparked my interest in the trials of the Scottish Covenanters leading me to books such as In Freedom's Cause by G. A. Henty and Hunted and Harried by R. M. Ballantyne.

The story is exciting and it relays the struggles and the faith of the covenants.
Note: Because of the battle and some description of tortures it may not be good for young children.
Brittany
Jul 03, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing
When Duncan's father is captured by the dragoons,Duncan must do all he can to to rescue his father.With the help of some friends, Duncan sets out on a daring rescue mission.
I really enjoyed this story. I loved the Scottish history and characters, and I enjoyed learning about the Covenanters. Although it is written for ages 10-14, it is still plenty enjoyable for adults as well. I definitely recommend this as a good book. Especially if you have a fascination with Scotland!
bird
Nov 16, 2012 bird rated it really liked it
I don't have time for a full review, but I've read this book over and over again during the last couple years. Unlike most historical fiction, this is really well written and tells a touching story of a family in Scotland fighting for their freedom. I love how well fleshed out the characters are and how action packed the story is.
Gloria
Jun 26, 2016 Gloria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Duncan M'Kethe loves his family and his faith and is willing, even eager, to defend them from the vicious talons of King Charles II. Yet his father insists that the Scriptures instruct us to love our enemies. How does he balance this with defending his fellow Covenanters?
Read the rest of my review here: http://gloriakluth.blogspot.com/2017/...
Karla M
I pre-read the entire Crown & Covenant series for my sons' unit study on Scotland. This series along with Henty's book of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce was a wonderful combination for our study on Scotland. I topped it off with short biographies of some of the biographies of the great Scottish pastors of that era.
Bill Peacock
Oct 26, 2013 Bill Peacock rated it it was amazing
My first Douglas Bond book. But have already started on my second. Read this one to my son. It is very good historical fiction for boys/teens with a deliberate Gospel bent. And a great story, following a Scottish Covenenter family suffering persecution from the English for worshiping Christ rather than the Church of England.
Dec 14, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Over all a fine book. I think if I was younger and more interested in wars and battles I would have really enjoyed it. It did have some really neat history about the Scottish Church. That was pretty awesomely inspiring. I'm not sure if I will read the sequels or not.
Sean Higgins
Jun 17, 2015 Sean Higgins rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, print
I enjoyed reading this to the kids, and they enjoyed it, too. There's enough history that increased our thankfulness for those faithful to Christ amidst persecution. We're looking forward to the next two books in the series.
Janice
Sep 04, 2009 Janice rated it really liked it
When I got breast cancer my good friend sent me this book. Odd for one with breast cancer? No, you see it was her son who illustrated the book and I was his third grade teacher. He wrote the inscription and it made me so proud.
Mary
Oct 02, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-read-alouds
I loved this book, and most of my kids did too. It moved a little bit slowly in parts, but overall, a great book and an excellent way to learn about history through an engaging and God-honoring story.
Margot M. Gregory
Great Story

The story was captivating. It keeps me engaged until the end. It is hard to find good clean books that a boy would like to read. This book had all the elements of a good story for a boy. I can wholeheartedly recommend this book to parents with young teens.
Elissa
Apr 29, 2008 Elissa rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book, I've already read the whole series before, but it's been along time, so I'm reading them again
Seth Isaiah Bendigo
Sep 11, 2014 Seth Isaiah Bendigo rated it really liked it
I thought it was a very good book. At the beginning it was harder for me to get interested into the book, but as I got farther into the book the plot thickened and grew more complex and interesting.
Henry
Mar 16, 2016 Henry added it
A young adult historical fiction about the Scottish covenanters. Good book - probably great to read with kids.
Carol Larson
Sep 24, 2013 Carol Larson rated it it was amazing
Great book. I love singing the psalms so the many metrical verses included were a great blessing.
Aidan
Jun 28, 2013 Aidan rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. I have always enjoyed Mr. Bond's work and am looking forward to reading some more of his books!
Meadow Frisbie
Oct 25, 2009 Meadow Frisbie rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
This was not my type of book. Mainly for boys.
Bill
Jan 03, 2015 Bill rated it really liked it
A good story, it certainly gave me a new appreciation for the antipathy between the Presbyterians and the Anglicans!
Dana Adams
Mar 27, 2013 Dana Adams rated it it was amazing
Douglas Bond is an incredible author!! He has been the favorite of all our 11 children for nearly ten years!!! His knowledge and wisdom help him to weave a captivating tale in this trilogy!
Kim Southwell
Mar 05, 2015 Kim Southwell rated it really liked it
The story of the Covenanters is so inspiring and challenging to my faith. And it gave us a good view of the history of the day.
Faith
Jan 09, 2010 Faith rated it really liked it
Mr. Bond has a way of sending you back in time that I absolutely love (and strive to copy)!
  • In Freedom's Cause: A Story of Wallace and Bruce
  • The Lost Baron: A Story of England in the Year 1200
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
  • Heart of Courage (Viking Quest, #4)
  • Blood Feud
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Hawk That Dare Not Hunt by Day
Douglas Bond, author of fifteen books, lives with his wife and six children in Washington State. He is a ruling elder in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), teaches English and history at Covenant High School, and was awarded the regional Teacher Award for teaching young people how to write. He lectures on literature and Church history and leads study tours in Europe.
More about Douglas Bond...

Crown and Covenant (3 books)
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)