Start by marking “The Entropy Effect (Classic Star Trek 2)” as Want to Read:
The Entropy Effect (Classic Star Trek 2)

The Entropy Effect (Star Trek: The Original Series #2)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  1,076 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The "Enterprise" is summoned to transport a dangerous criminal from Starbase prison to a rehabilitation center: brilliant physicist Dr. Georges Mordeauxs, accused of promising to send people back in time -- then killing them instead. But there's more at stake than just a few lives. For Mordeaux's experiments have somehow throw the entire universe into a deadly time warp. A ...more
Published April 15th 1990 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Entropy Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Entropy Effect

Mike McDevitt
I'm not reviewing covers here, but the 'Spock in Pain' new cover blows. To have this story without MUSTACHE SULU is to remove the best part.

Granted, the thrust of the tale is how Spock pushes himself to the limit in a desperate series of time jumps to save Kirk from assassination by the nerve-crushing, disturbing spider-web gun. But a romance and a mustache for Sulu is why it stands out. Well-played, McIntyre.

I really liked the security guards: Snarl, Jenniver, and Sulu's lover-girl whose name
Heather Domin
Read the whole thing in one day sitting by the water. Whenever I put it down to get some Diet Coke or take a bathroom break, I spent the whole time wondering what would happen next. That's my idea of perfect vacation reading.
Tracy
The Entropy Effect was a diverting read that improved after a somewhat rocky beginning. By the end of the novel, original characters felt well-fleshed out, even if they didn't necessarily feel like they would have been a part of the original Enterprise crew. I enjoyed the way time-travel was handled in this book, even compared to how the original series handled it. There are consequences to all temporal actions, even beyond the mere rethreading of human history. For those who are interested in e ...more
rosalind
what a fun book! time travel, singularities, convoluted plots, intrigue... not to mention mcintyre's original character, mandala flynn, who is an absolute treasure. can i get a book series about her? and all the other wonderful ladies mcintyre made up for this book?

also, check out the gloriousness that is sulu's mustache:
description
oh. my. goodness.
Kelley
Considering it's a Star Trek novel, Entropy Effect is by no means a bad book. I can't, in good conscience call it a particularly good book. It was like an oatmeal cookie. A quick snack. I probably would have preferred chocolate chip, but I was all out and, besides, I knew what I was getting when I reached for the oatmeal cookie and - I'm just making myself hungry at this point, so I'm going to drop the analogy.

Bottom line: It's short and decent, but I've read superior fanfiction online and for f
Tracy Poff
A little break from all these picture books seems to be in order, so let's go with something completely different: The Entropy Effect by Vonda N. McIntyre, which is #2 in the Pocket Books line of Star Trek novels.

EntropyEffect-cover

The Enterprise has been in orbit of a singularity for six weeks, Mr. Spock making careful observations of this unusual phenomenon, when they are called away to Aleph Prime by an ultimate override command--to be used only in the most dire of situations.

They arrive to find no great emer
Justin Rees
This was an absolutely epic novel of the Star Trek franchise. As a Spock fan (as too many of us to count are), this is a perfect novel to make my heart sing. I am also a fan of temporal science fiction, so as Spock fights the entropy effect to restore temporal stability in the universe, I hung on every word. An excellent novel, interesting story, and chalk full of Spock, what more could you want?
Don
A quick, engrossing read, perfect for a lazy afternoon with both sunshine and a tall glass of iced tea on hand. McIntyre does a good job of giving us the necessary background in the first fifty or so pages, then zips forward at lightning speed the rest of the way. Flynn and Hunter are interesting characters, welcome additions to the Star Trek universe.

As for the cover artwork, I know some don't like it, but IMHO I think it's wicked cool. That being written, I do miss long-haired, mustached Sulu
Terence
Easily the second-best ST novel ever written.
S. J.
Jul 24, 2012 S. J. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek lovers; Time travel enthusists
Diego

Crítica publicada originalmente en mi blog.

Sinopsis

Durante días, el U.S.S. Enterprise se ha dedicado al estudio de una singularidad en el espacio-tiempo, un fenómeno de vacío que tiene perplejo incluso al vulcaniano oficial científico de la nave, el Sr. Spock. Por alguna extraña razón, la entropía en el entorno ha aumentado aceleradamente, y ello podía tener consecuencias desastrosas para el futuro del Universo.

El estudio del fenómeno se ve interrumpido cuando reciben un mensaje de emergencia d

The other John
When we got a donation to the English library many months ago, imagine my surprise to find this one among the books given. I remember purchasing a copy many years ago, enticed by the cover illustration of Kirk, Spock and Sulu dressed in uniforms from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I was a bit disappointed to discover that the story was not set after the events of the movie, but was one that fits in better with the series chronology. Ah, well. I decided to give the book another reading and found ...more
Trin
Well, there’s another item I can cross off the Great Geek Checklist: Read a Star Trek Tie-In Novel. Check—and my chances of getting laid are once again reduced! ;-)

This wasn’t at all bad. It was pretty well-written; there was a nice subplot with Sulu (though McIntyre gives him a truly dreadful-sounding new hairstyle that I kept hoping would somehow figure into the plot—but it DIDN’T); and there was a SUPREMELY gay Kirk/Spock moment toward the end that made me giggle with glee. However, the time
Hannah
This is a really good, heartbreaking Star Trek novel which really develops the friendships between Spock, Kirk and McCoy and looks deeper into Sulu's character as well. For any TOS fan who likes the techie theorising etc., this is well worth reading.
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1983:]. Star Trek novels have played with time travel before, but this is the most satisfactory treatment of the theme I've seen. Nonetheless, one can't help feeling mildly tricked or cheated somehow, when an entire narrative line is suddenly wiped out on the basis that time has been changed. It somehow seems to defeat the nature of fiction! McIntyre shares with most female writers that insistence on the essentially emotional nature of the central triad in ST, but unlik ...more
Yves
Avant de commencer ce livre, j'avais beaucoup d'appréhension face à l'auteure Vonda McIntyre. Le livre qu'elle avait écrit pour la saga de Star Wars est un des pire. L'effet Entropie commence vraiment lentement. Cependant, quand l'histoire débute réellement, je dois dire que j'ai totalement embarqué.

Déjà en partant, j'aime beaucoup les histoires qui impliquent les voyages dans le temps. On assiste donc à un débat éthique sur les voyages temporels entre Spock et McCoy. Cette histoire a vraiment f
Jenny T
The Enterprise is called to transport a criminal, a temporal scientist, to a rehabilitation center, but complications ensue when time travel runs amok -- future versions of certain characters appear, whose actions must be prevented at all costs.

Half Trek, half Doctor Who, with plenty of time travel paradoxes, going back in time to change the future, and whatnot. Some really GOOD secondary characters are introduced, and I do hope I'll be seeing them again at some point.

I should really add an ext
Jen
Oct 31, 2007 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any OS Star Trek Fan
Shelves: science-fiction
I've read this book many times, starting when I was just a kid and on through adulthood. It's a great story with original elements and truly fantastic original characters. The only flaws I see are occasional deviances in manner from the TV characters, an overuse of the semicolon, and a penchant for the melodramatic that gets a bit corny at times. Fortunately, though, the story is multi-layered and suspenseful enough to draw you in and keep the pages turning. Every trek book fan should have this ...more
Telaina
So I've had a lot of back pain recently (herniated disc acting up) and between the muscle relaxants and Vicodin, I wanted to just turn pages. I read this book a few times when I was 12 or 13? and it was one of my favorite novelizations. It held up well, but I agree the new cover stinks and I want the old one with the mustached Sulu. Read on my Kindle and I have to say Vonda McIntyre is one of my favorite Star Trek authors. I like her take and background on all the characters.
MAP
An interesting twist on time travel. I don't normally like reading expanded universe stories of tv shows and movies, because they often rely too much on you liking the characters/world, and too little on any sort of really good story. But this one held up nicely on its own; you could have replaced all the names of the Star Trek characters and it still would have been completely interesting.

PS: This author had a serious crush on Sulu.
Jo
A good trek story about time-travel. Great characterization of Spock & Bones with an odd fannish sideline about Sulu. The book starts slow, focusing too much on Sulu, his lithe body, long hair and mannish charms...but once it gets into the plot and the focus shifts to Spock, Bones and the Physicist, things get quite good. Once again, it's the female writers who do Star Trek the best.
Rich Meyer
The second official Trek novel after the 1979 movie is an interesting affair, with a lot of bizarre comings and goings and character development, along with the introduction of some new characters that I hope will be used again (or were used again, considering the age of this book). Well written, though a tad predictable, it's a good effort for the series.
Benjamin Plume
Possibly the worst Star Trek novel I've read. I got through it, but it just didn't hold up to the standards of the franchise, in my opinion. Spock didn't feel right, nor did Kirk really. The time travel aspect didn't seem to fit with the well-established time travel plots. Sulu didn't seem like Sulu. I do not recommend this one.
Daniel Kukwa
An intense, militaristic view of Star Trek, yet still completely compatible with the overall canon. There is a white-hot pace to the plot, and the characters are truly put through hell...but it's one hell of a worthwile, if arduous, journey. Only the slightly physics-obsessed climax threatens to derail an otherwise fabulous novel.
Liza
This was a pretty good read. Read like an episode of TOS, which is essentially what it was. Time travel is always a questionable bet with a serial like this, but McIntyre used the trope in a similar way as they did several times on the show so it wasn't really problematic. All in all, a quick but enjoyable read.
James Tyrrell
A simple tale and good Star Trek fun. The plot consists of time paradoxes, which are quite well handled I might add, which are up to Spock to deal with. I especially liked the inclusion of a number of more alien races within the ranks for the Enterprise which were lacking in the series due to the limited budget.
Travis
One of the earliest Trek novels reads like it would have made a decent TV episode, but was otherwise nothing more than a nice, light read.

Vonda did go on to write a ton of Trek books and in the eighties was one of 'THE' Trek book writers. She always does a good job and has a nice handle on the characters.
Amanda
This was so boring I couldn't make it past page 72, and I can usually read one of these novels in less than two hours.

Well, not if it's this boring, apparently. Yikes.

From what I can tell from the blurb, I don't think the main plot had even started yet. Good grief author.
Lee
A good B-level of Star Trek novel-- not awesome, not terrible. This was my 2nd time through it, as I had forgotten the rest. I thought the portrayals of Scotty and maybe McCoy were off, but it was nice to see Sulu getting some "screen time," as well as an affair.

Troy Palmer
An absolutely epic tale of time travel and the devasting effects it could have. A very enjoyable tale with an in depth experience that gives a fresh look into the character of Mr. Spock and his struggles with emotion and the control he has on his human side.
  • The Wounded Sky
  • Black Fire
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • Web of the Romulans
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)
  • Demons
  • The Abode of Life
  • Uhura's Song
  • Killing Time
  • Ishmael
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • Vulcan's Glory
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Dreadnought! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #1)
Vonda Neel McIntyre is a U.S. science fiction author. She is one of the first successful graduates of the Clarion Science fiction writers workshop. She attended the workshop in 1970. By 1973 she had won her first Nebula Award, for the novelette "Of Mist, and Grass and Sand." This later became part of the novel Dreamsnake, which won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. The novelette and novel both conc ...more
More about Vonda N. McIntyre...
Dreamsnake The Crystal Star (Star Wars) Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2) Enterprise: The First Adventure Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)