Start by marking “The Entropy Effect (Classic Star Trek 2)” as Want to Read:
The Entropy Effect (Classic Star Trek 2)

The Entropy Effect (Star Trek: The Original Series #2)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,319 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
The "Enterprise" is summoned to transport a dangerous criminal from Starbase prison to a rehabilitation center: brilliant physicist Dr. Georges Mordeauxs, accused of promising to send people back in time -- then killing them instead. But there's more at stake than just a few lives. For Mordeaux's experiments have somehow throw the entire universe into a deadly time warp. A ...more
Published April 15th 1990 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Entropy Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Entropy Effect

Mike McDevitt
Dec 28, 2011 Mike McDevitt rated it liked it
I'm not reviewing covers here, but the 'Spock in Pain' new cover blows. To have this story without MUSTACHE SULU is to remove the best part.

Granted, the thrust of the tale is how Spock pushes himself to the limit in a desperate series of time jumps to save Kirk from assassination by the nerve-crushing, disturbing spider-web gun. But a romance and a mustache for Sulu is why it stands out. Well-played, McIntyre.

I really liked the security guards: Snarl, Jenniver, and Sulu's lover-girl whose name
rosalind
what a fun book! time travel, singularities, convoluted plots, intrigue... not to mention mcintyre's original character, mandala flynn, who is an absolute treasure. can i get a book series about her? and all the other wonderful ladies mcintyre made up for this book?

also, check out the gloriousness that is sulu's mustache:
description
oh. my. goodness.
Tracy Poff
A little break from all these picture books seems to be in order, so let's go with something completely different: The Entropy Effect by Vonda N. McIntyre, which is #2 in the Pocket Books line of Star Trek novels.

EntropyEffect-cover

The Enterprise has been in orbit of a singularity for six weeks, Mr. Spock making careful observations of this unusual phenomenon, when they are called away to Aleph Prime by an ultimate override command--to be used only in the most dire of situations.

They arrive to find no great eme
Jerry
Apr 17, 2016 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not Star Trek fiction as I'm used to reading it. Despite that, I enjoyed the story and the writing, though I wasn't expecting that much profanity.
Tracy
Mar 05, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Entropy Effect was a diverting read that improved after a somewhat rocky beginning. By the end of the novel, original characters felt well-fleshed out, even if they didn't necessarily feel like they would have been a part of the original Enterprise crew. I enjoyed the way time-travel was handled in this book, even compared to how the original series handled it. There are consequences to all temporal actions, even beyond the mere rethreading of human history. For those who are interested in e ...more
Heather Domin
Nov 16, 2009 Heather Domin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-books
Read the whole thing in one day sitting by the water. Whenever I put it down to get some Diet Coke or take a bathroom break, I spent the whole time wondering what would happen next. That's my idea of perfect vacation reading.
Kate
Aug 27, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
For a tiny little book it sure packs a heck of wallop! It's a little slow to get going but once it hits its stride (by that I mean the events described in the summary come into play) it is ridiculous and very close to being nail biting.

Everything is weird from the word go. Spock and Kirk are weird with each other - I don't know where in the chronology this novel fits but I'm betting early days since both of them aren't quite as Best Friends Forever-y as they end up being yet - but it's not just
Nicky2910
Star Trek: The Entropy Effect by Vonda N. McIntyre Synopsis:
The Enterprise gets called away from studying an unusual singularity to ferry mad scientist and convicted murderer Mordreaux to a rehabilitation colony. En route, Kirk and the security chief are killed by the apparently escaped prisoner - but Mordreaux never left his quarters, and how is it possible for Spock to be in 2 places at the same time?

Review:
Well, well, just when I had begun to lose hope (as of yet, I haven't managed to get acr
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
The Entropy Effect takes place during the original 5-year mission and, according to the Stardate, is between the end of the second season, but before the beginning of the third season..

Being a very early Star trek book, I wasn't surprised that the story was a little slow in the beginning. The reader is left floundering a little trying to figure out what is going on and if the pace of the story is going to pick up. Finally, when all the pieces of the puzzle start fitting together, the reader fin
Kelley
May 19, 2010 Kelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guilty-pleasures
Considering it's a Star Trek novel, Entropy Effect is by no means a bad book. I can't, in good conscience call it a particularly good book. It was like an oatmeal cookie. A quick snack. I probably would have preferred chocolate chip, but I was all out and, besides, I knew what I was getting when I reached for the oatmeal cookie and - I'm just making myself hungry at this point, so I'm going to drop the analogy.

Bottom line: It's short and decent, but I've read superior fanfiction online and for f
Mike Crate
Mar 10, 2016 Mike Crate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
The mysterious appearance of a singularity has the Enterprise and more importantly Spock committed to an extensive study, six weeks into the mission the ship receives an "ultimate" distress signal, it can not be ignored. Upon arrival at Aleph there seems little to justify the emergency but with the ship and crew in need of a moment of rest and rejuvenation perhaps a milk run taking a prisoner to a nearby rehab facility is just what's needed. Tragedy then strikes, an attack on board with proscrib ...more
Melanie
Feb 28, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it
First, I'll just say that the 1981 edition with Mustache Sulu is superior to the "Let's pretend this isn't Spock mindmelding with a Horta" cover from 2006. Which is terrifically distracting if you know the context. Second, I'll say that this first unique paracanonical novel in the Star Trek Pocket Books series as an example of its genre totally earns the 4 stars I've awarded it. This was a great pick for the first in the series following the novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. McIntyr ...more
Justin Rees
Feb 09, 2011 Justin Rees rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This was an absolutely epic novel of the Star Trek franchise. As a Spock fan (as too many of us to count are), this is a perfect novel to make my heart sing. I am also a fan of temporal science fiction, so as Spock fights the entropy effect to restore temporal stability in the universe, I hung on every word. An excellent novel, interesting story, and chalk full of Spock, what more could you want?
Don Incognito
Don
Jul 31, 2014 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, engrossing read, perfect for a lazy afternoon with both sunshine and a tall glass of iced tea on hand. McIntyre does a good job of giving us the necessary background in the first fifty or so pages, then zips forward at lightning speed the rest of the way. Flynn and Hunter are interesting characters, welcome additions to the Star Trek universe.

As for the cover artwork, I know some don't like it, but IMHO I think it's wicked cool. That being written, I do miss long-haired, mustached Sulu
Valerie
Jul 11, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I have not read a Star Trek novel in forever, I remember Vonda McIntyre as being a writer who made that universe believable.
Terence
Aug 20, 2008 Terence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
Easily the second-best ST novel ever written.
David B
Mar 20, 2016 David B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spock must travel through time to undo the death of Kirk and stop a temporal researcher whose invention will bring about the end of the universe.

This book was really bad early on. Author Vonda McIntyre introduces some secondary characters of her own creation that held absolutely no interest for me, but seemed to engage her much more than the TOS crew. Uhura and Chekov are virtually absent from this story. Fortunately, these characters mostly vanished from the narrative once the story got going (
S. J.
Jul 24, 2012 S. J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek lovers; Time travel enthusists
Diego
Jun 03, 2013 Diego rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ficción

Crítica publicada originalmente en mi blog.

Sinopsis

Durante días, el U.S.S. Enterprise se ha dedicado al estudio de una singularidad en el espacio-tiempo, un fenómeno de vacío que tiene perplejo incluso al vulcaniano oficial científico de la nave, el Sr. Spock. Por alguna extraña razón, la entropía en el entorno ha aumentado aceleradamente, y ello podía tener consecuencias desastrosas para el futuro del Universo.

El estudio del fenómeno se ve interrumpido cuando reciben un mensaje de emergencia

The other John
When we got a donation to the English library many months ago, imagine my surprise to find this one among the books given. I remember purchasing a copy many years ago, enticed by the cover illustration of Kirk, Spock and Sulu dressed in uniforms from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I was a bit disappointed to discover that the story was not set after the events of the movie, but was one that fits in better with the series chronology. Ah, well. I decided to give the book another reading and found ...more
Angela
Spock is investigating an anomaly. The Enterprise is called to pick up a prisoner, that prisoner is Spock's old physics professor. Things start getting odd, and time travel is involved. This is a really clever story that picks up in the second half of the book. Sulu gets a romance and grows a mustache. But it is really the thinking behind the paradoxes and how to stop other time travellers affecting the timeline. The cover does not really represent the book. A good read.
Oscar
Mar 13, 2015 Oscar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
An absolutely fantastic book. Very classic Star Trek with a wonderful flushing out of the the characters of Spock and Sulu. I'm definitely starting to think Sulu is one of the more underutilized characters in Star Trek and I'm glad to see it wasn't the case in this one.

Also, although this book is about time travel, it's done is a magnificat way. The ending was also quite satisfying, which is usually not the case when I read time travel stories.

Definitely a wonderful read and highly recommended.
Trin
Well, there’s another item I can cross off the Great Geek Checklist: Read a Star Trek Tie-In Novel. Check—and my chances of getting laid are once again reduced! ;-)

This wasn’t at all bad. It was pretty well-written; there was a nice subplot with Sulu (though McIntyre gives him a truly dreadful-sounding new hairstyle that I kept hoping would somehow figure into the plot—but it DIDN’T); and there was a SUPREMELY gay Kirk/Spock moment toward the end that made me giggle with glee. However, the time
Chuck
Jan 25, 2016 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captain Kirk and his Chief Security Officer are killed. Spock and Mccoy are suspects in the murders and a plot to take over the Enterprise. Add to that time travel, and the possibility if the Universe being destroyed in less than 100 years and you have a good Star Trek adventure.
Emily
Time-travelling Spock, entropy, and Sulu's groovy mustache - what more could one possibly want from a Star Trek novel? And Kirk reminded me of Schroedinger's cat - though I realize that is not really an accurate analogy. This one was always one of my favorite Star Trek novels. And seriously, Sulu's mustache - you can even see it depicted one the book cover.
Trust NoOne
Feb 20, 2016 Trust NoOne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second reading after many years, and I still feel it's one of the better Star Trek novels. The time-travel plot device is effective and there is just a bit of math to describe the phenomenon. Good character development as well. Worth reading!
Surreysmum
Mar 28, 2010 Surreysmum rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1983, star-trek
[These notes were made in 1983:]. Star Trek novels have played with time travel before, but this is the most satisfactory treatment of the theme I've seen. Nonetheless, one can't help feeling mildly tricked or cheated somehow, when an entire narrative line is suddenly wiped out on the basis that time has been changed. It somehow seems to defeat the nature of fiction! McIntyre shares with most female writers that insistence on the essentially emotional nature of the central triad in ST, but unlik ...more
Zuzana
Jul 06, 2015 Zuzana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. (view spoiler) aspect of the story was as confusing as could be expected. Gotta love all the paradoxes.
Yves
Aug 10, 2013 Yves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, star-trek
Avant de commencer ce livre, j'avais beaucoup d'appréhension face à l'auteure Vonda McIntyre. Le livre qu'elle avait écrit pour la saga de Star Wars est un des pire. L'effet Entropie commence vraiment lentement. Cependant, quand l'histoire débute réellement, je dois dire que j'ai totalement embarqué.

Déjà en partant, j'aime beaucoup les histoires qui impliquent les voyages dans le temps. On assiste donc à un débat éthique sur les voyages temporels entre Spock et McCoy. Cette histoire a vraiment f
  • The Wounded Sky
  • Black Fire
  • Web of the Romulans
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • Demons
  • Killing Time
  • The Abode of Life
  • Ishmael (Star Trek: The Original Series, #23)
  • Memory Prime
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Uhura's Song
Vonda Neel McIntyre is a U.S. science fiction author. She is one of the first successful graduates of the Clarion Science fiction writers workshop. She attended the workshop in 1970. By 1973 she had won her first Nebula Award, for the novelette "Of Mist, and Grass and Sand." This later became part of the novel Dreamsnake, which won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. The novelette and novel both conc ...more
More about Vonda N. McIntyre...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)