Start by marking “World Without End (Moontide and Magic Rise, #1)” as Want to Read:
World Without End (Moontide and Magic Rise, #1)

World Without End (Moontide and Magic Rise)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The first book in an epic new fantasy series from the bestselling author of The Initiate Brother and Gatherer of Clouds. At the dawn of a new era--an age of reason, science, and exploration--a promising young naturalist is drawn into the heart of a political struggle which threatens the foundations of his civilization.
Published March 1st 1995 by DAW (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about World Without End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Without End

The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffBaby by J.K. AccinniEcho by J.K. AccinniArmageddon Cometh by J.K. AccinniEvil Among Us by J.K. Accinni
Best Fantasy Books Under the Radar
356th out of 1,011 books — 1,378 voters
A Desirable Residence by Madeleine WickhamReal Men Will by Victoria DahlRescue Me by Rachel GibsonWhat's a Ghoul to Do? by Victoria LaurieOwlflight by Mercedes Lackey
Purchased June 2012
25th out of 49 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris Moriarty
Normally I only give four stars to contemporary SF and Fantasy no matter how good it is. I save the five stars for the Immortal Classics. But some books are just so astounding that the rules need to be rewritten for them. This whole series falls into that category. It was steampunk before steampunk, and urban fantasy before UF became the hot new thing. Russell's world has all the magic and intrigue of steampunk with none of the copycat factor. And it deals with the real and profound issues of Vi ...more
Phyl
Apr 05, 2008 Phyl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: have-read
The book was good, but it was very clear that this was just the first half of the very large story, so it was obviously not a story in itself. Russell tried very hard to give this book its own rise in action and climax, and once we finally got to it, it was at least intriguing. And it did make me eager to get to the second book right away. There was the feeling of "Now the story is *really* getting interesting."

It wasn't that the story in this volume wasn't interesting -- it just took a long tim
James Oden
This book is my only data point, but I have to say Sean Russell is a solid writer. His prose feels like reading some of the great literary authors out of the 19th century. He paints picturesque scenes, and his characterization leaves you feeling like you are dealing with very and distinct individuals. He also seems to spend much time researching the era within which he sets his stories. The attention to detail with regard to rigged ship terminology, for example, was really quite amazing (frankly ...more
Mandy
Not only does this book take a really long time to get going, but the ending is very abrupt. I recognize that this is part of a series, but I got the impression that I was being goaded into reading the next one before I finished. I could tell when I got down to the last hundred pages that, judging by the pace thus far, there was no way things were going to be resolved. I'm not sure I'll pick up the next one, although I admit I am a bit curious to see where things go.

As far as plot goes, things w
John
World Without End is the first in a two-book series called Moontide and Magic Rise. The milieu is a world that resembles Europe of the late 18th or early 19th century, a time when empiricism and science are on the rise. The twist is that these new ways are replacing the old ways of the powerful Mages, who mysteriously obliterated all traces of magic from the world before their passing. Our central character is Tristam Flattery, a promising young naturalist who is also the nephew and heir of the ...more
Tracy
Jun 07, 2008 Tracy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of slow building and deftly written novels.
Sean Russell has a certain style, it's slow to build, and filed with details. Then, slowly, he brings together all of the details he's dropped into the mix, and suddenly you're in the middle of whatever conflict has been hinted at. It's a style that doesn't work for every reader, but for me...... well, let's just say he's on my shortlist of the Best in Fantasy.
This was the first Sean Russell book I read. I remember seeing the book in Barnes and Noble, the strange stylized cover art. and I reme
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Fairly certain I read these, but would probably need to reread them to tell you details. As I remember it, I did enjoy it.
Nancy
hmm.. i like the concept, but it drags on so. i really love The Initiate Brother, so i want to like other Sean Russell but i can't get into it. i didn't realize when i picked it up that it was connected to Under The Vaulted Hills, I read that a few years back and got impatient with all the cave-wandering. this is somewhat similar, except they're on a sailing ship. i think the characters don't have enough depth to keep it afloat.. there's too much mystery and scheming and not enough humanity.
Tankerbay
Hmm, seems I swapped this review with the one for #2. Anyway, this pair of books had a good, epic storyline. A little fantastic, as if he couldn't decide if this was a rational world or a magical one. It turns out that dichotomy was the major plot point, only not obviously so until the very end. So.... I guess I'd call the main plot-line a little subtle.

Not something I'll read again, but I'm not disappointed I read it.
Jeanette
I really like Sean Russell as an author and I highly enjoyed his Swan War Trilogy.
World without end has a great setting but it's a slow read. Not much happens and I didn't get cought by the characters as I was with the Swan War Trilogy...

Nontheless a good read and well written. Just not if you want action.

I might read the sequel but not at the moment as I need something more thrilling.
Rebecca Schwendiman
I loved this book because it was like a fantasy fiction cookie with chocolate chips of SCIENCE. The main character is a naturalist! It's like it was written just for me- Think Charles Darwin + Wizards = Awesome! "A great hypothesis is like a great poem, as long as it explains something central to the human mind it will stand." - Sean Russel, World Without End
Karen
The best part of this somewhat-standard fantasy novel is the unconventional main character -- botanists are not typically the ones caught up in court intrigues. But it makes perfect sense, particularly for a story that echoes the old voyages of discovery around the globe. I am looking forward to reading the second half of the story.
Dawn
In my second atttempt to read this book I realized that there was nothing wrong with the book. The characters were good and engaging, the story is good but I just couldn't get into it. I made it 3/4 through but had no problem leaving the book behind.
So I guess I'm just indifferent to this book.
Callum
Sean Russell's rich and poetic style is marvellously engaging and perfectly suited to both high society schemes and high seas adventure. World Without End is a compelling and deftly crafted blend of adventure, mystery and epic fantasy.
Salimbol
[4 and 1/2 stars]
Excellent, atypical fantasy, set in the equivalent of the Age of Enlightenment, with solid characterisation, awesomely twisted political scheming, detailed world-building and elegant prose.
Chris
A fascinating world. Magic is dying / dead and natural philosophy is the latest thing. This is part 1 of 2, and if you read this one you'll definitely want the next as well.
M
Though this is billed as fantasy, the first book in the trilogy is more focused on court politics than magic. I like court intrigue so it worked out.
Brandur
A fantasy epic based in the age of discovery around the 1500s, but where mages and magic did exist but are now extinct and have wiped out their history.
Destiny Causby
A neat combination of Darwin like exploration & magic but be sure to have Sea Without a Shore on hand so you can finish the story
Mike Testa
Great book, first of a series of 2. Very descriptive when describing the environments and the characters are easy to follow.
Tomi
A fantasy book with out magic. Sort of alt historical fiction. Verbose
Barbara Brien
Epic fantasy, first of two books. This book held me enthralled.
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett added it
Fantasy
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Verin
Verin marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • The Glass Dragon
  • The Iron Tree (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sword (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #1)
  • Darkenheight: The Watershed Trilogy 2
  • The Color of Distance
  • Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2)
  • Finders-Seekers (Ghatti's Tale, #1)
  • Prisoner of the Iron Tower (Tears of Artamon, #2)
  • Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea
  • Heir of Autumn (Heartstone Trilogy, #1)
  • GRRM: A RRetrospective (Trade Hardcover)
  • Drinker of Souls (Drinker of Souls, #1)
  • Silver's Edge (Shadowlands, #1)
  • The Thief's Gamble (The Tales of Einarinn #1)
  • The Silver Call
  • Ring of Lightning (Dance of the Rings, #1)
Aka Sean Thomas Russell

Sean Russel has co-written, with Ian Dennis, a mystery series called "Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner". The first volume of the series was published by Bantam under their joint pen name, T.F. Banks.

Sean Russell was born 1952 in Toronto. At the age of three his family moved to the outskirts of the city, where they lived in a cottage at the beach of Lake Ontario. At the age of
More about Sean Russell...
The One Kingdom (The Swans' War, #1) The Initiate Brother (Initiate Brother, #1) The Isle of Battle (The Swans' War, #2) Gatherer of Clouds (Initiate Brother, #2) The Shadow Roads (The Swans' War #3)