Start by marking “The Gold Coast” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Gold Coast

Nelson DeMille

The Gold Coast (John Sutter #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  15,486 ratings  ·  931 reviews
Welcome to the fabled Gold Coast, that stretch on the North Shore of Long Island that once held the greatest concentration of wealth and power in America. Here two men are destined for an explosive collision: John Sutter, Wall Street lawyer, holding fast to a fading aristocratic legacy; and Frank Bellarosa, the Mafia don who seizes his piece of the staid and unprepared Gol ...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Books On Tape (first published 1990)

Jessica
DeMilles best, and one of my all time favorite books - if you read nothing else by him, this is the one. Its awesome. Very clever and sarcastic, well researched, set on the gold coast of long island with some mafia ties - I love love love this book and have read it like 6 times.
Diane Ehrlich
This is my all-time favorite from Nelson DeMille, one of my favorite writers. Although I like his writing for his characters, particularly his little-bit-of-a-smartass heroes and strong-willed, red-headed heroines (can't imagine why), his plots tend to be driven by international spy, military or police stuff. Not this one. Nice Long Island man has life ruined when Mafia don moves in next door. Funny, moving and beautifully written. I guarantee you will not be able to put it down.
Jessica
John Sutter is a lawyer living off of his wife's family fortune on the Gold Coast of Long Island. These people and their friends are snobs. John is a pompous ass who is going through a mid life crisis. He needs an adventure, a challenge. And lucky for him, this challenge moves in right next door in the form of the boss of the NY mafia. The two become aquaintances, friends, business partners, lawyer/client, rivals...

The relationship between these two men, as well as their wives is sleazy, but pr
Sarah Hovis
I love all of Nelson Demille's books, but this one is my favorite and, I think, my favorite book by any author. His writing is laugh out loud hilarious and the main character has a dry sense of humor.

This book is a cross b/w The Great Gatsby and The Godfather.
Tara
So disappointing. Maybe a book so hyped is bound to fall flat. But John Sutter is without doubt one of the most annoying characters of any book I've read.

His humor got easily tiresome. I couldn't stand one more "capisce" or "mamma mia." (I'm Italian, my family comes from Brooklyn, and not even with 50 of us in one room during the holidays do I hear that many "capisce" and never "mamma mia.") One day Sutter is a Gold Coast snob (I'm from Long Island and his type and his wife's type really exist)
Joseph Finder
One of my favorites. More of a straight “novel” than a thriller, but this, along with all of DeMille’s books since then, is a model of how to incorporate humor and attitude into your storytelling without diminishing the suspense.
C
meh

It was just okay. It needed some major editing. A whole lot of that book could have been cut out so that it didn't have to reach 400 pages. It was mildly entertaining, but if I didn't have this problem with returning books before I have read them I would have dropped this one long ago.

I did enjoy the way in which it was written, which was more like the author was speaking with you in a conversation.

a solid meh.
Eli
I'm not sure I've ever read a novel that gave me quite as much pleasure as this one. Hilarious, suspenseful, and unexpectedly moving, it comes packaged as pulp fiction, and yet without pretensions acquires real weight and power. An absolute delight.
Victoria
May 12, 2008 Victoria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Abby Davis
Wow! What a good book! It's like the Great Gatsby meets the Italian maffia! One of those rare enjoyable books where you put it down a little smarter and you laugh along the way. I recommended it those who appreciate sarcasm and enjoy a jaded perspective every now and then. Read it now!!
Jeffrey
Nov 08, 2008 Jeffrey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: demille fans
Shelves: read-in-2008
A very good story about the clash between a 40 year old lawyer on the North SHore of Long Island, his heiress wife and their dealings with a mobster. I found the story a little unbelievable. The Main character John Sutter mouth some really trenchant commentary about the North Shore, but I just did not really buy into the idea that even though he is inherently unhappy with his parents, and his wife's parents and sometimes with his wife and his safe life that he would just get so involved with the ...more
Kirsten
Way too long, didn't get to the point, redundant, seemed dated (didn't stand the test of time). John could be very witty but grew tiresome. Susan Really?? She was absurd. John's mid life crisis might explain getting involved with a mobster but the path he took in the face of tax evasion charges was out of character and didn't seem a plausible choice. Lot of elements in the story that you spend a lot of time reading about and they never get tied back into the story, just left hanging there as thr ...more
Mainon
Mar 11, 2011 Mainon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mainon by: Kevin Flatley
Shelves: kindle-books
I kept comparing this in my head to Sidney Sheldon's Rage of Angels -- both books are a few decades old, both involve lawyer main characters and Mafia-related secondary characters. I loved Rage of Angels, and really wanted to love this too. But I never quite *got* the marriage between John Sutter and his wife. We're constantly reminded that they love each other, but most of the time he doesn't seem to like her very much. Not that he dislikes her either -- he seems to feel curiously insouciant to ...more
Marci
Jan 23, 2008 Marci rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chris
this was a terrific surprise. I picked this up just to kill some time until my Nefertiti book came in at the library, and figured I'd put it down then and continue later. but... I could not put this book down. the story was ify in the beginning but some thing kept holding me to it! as I got further in, I had to know what was going to happen next. Can't really give away too much of the plot, but it is very " Great Gatzby"-ish as Demille also says in his forward. Characters were interesting and a ...more
Alice
This was soooo not my kind of book. I was able to really rush through the 500 pages because I couldn't care less about these shallow blue-bloods and their sexual fantasy scenarios or convos with their mafioso neighbor. I had heard from a lot of people that this was such a fabulous book, but I didn't get it. This rich guy in a flat life basically has a mid-life crisis and gets involved with the Mafia don who lives next door and I never really cared one bit what happened to any of them! Yea! It's ...more
Eve
May 03, 2014 Eve marked it as gave-up-on  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I gave up on a Nelson DeMille novel! I read over 100 pages and just couldn't get into it. Nothing was happening! Maybe I can give it another try later...
Quillracer
I like Nelson DeMille. I’ve read close to a dozen of his books and liked them all until this one. I tried to stick it out to the end but gave up after slogging through 200 pages.

The story plods along with nothing happening, just John and Susan Sutter, the main characters, ambling through their privileged lives. Everything happens at a pace more suitable to sweltering summer day.

John and Susan are annoying and obnoxious. They act like spoiled kids and snipe at each other like siblings who hate ea
Mark Picketts

Not the usual type of book that I pick up, but it was well liked by some of my family so i thought i would give it a shot. It was an original story; sarcastic, page turning and really funny. It was a refreshing book and well written. I enjoyed reading it and suggest for anyone looking for a beach or airplane read.

Tons of funny/thought-provoking snippits, a couple here:
"Good pubs, like churches, are great equalizers of social distinctions; more so, perhaps, because when you approach the rail in
Erin
I haven't read DeMille in a really long time (not since Plum Island years ago) and I was grateful I had my Christmas break to get through it (sometimes a book comes just when you need to read it...I think I would've been frustrated by its 500 pages if I hadn't had long interrupted periods of time to read it). DeMille's style--sarcastic, biting, funny, honest--is on full display here.

He takes a setting--the ultra rich in Long Island, from very old money--and explores it in a new, interesting insi
Revo
Despite the logical errors- an upper crust couple is married at 20 and manages in that year to have a child, have the husband serve in the military AND become a lawyer? All this was pre-energy drink too!

Despite the female lead being utterly unlikable-sorry, timeless beauty doth not a sympathetic person make

Despite the Mafia thug being a mix of cunning and Disney-Frank Bellarossa leans on revisionist 'italian history' enough to make you think he took a taser to the head.

Despite the MC being possi
Mr_mck
I've come to really enjoy Nelson DeMille's books. His main character here has a bit of the John Corey humor about him, but from a different mold. The story bogs down just a bit after the trial scene, but has a strong finish. The "over 40" crowd should be able to appreciate the whole mid-life crisis thing, too. All in all, I liked this book very much and can see why so many of DeMille's fan base wrote such great reviews for it.
Felicity
This guy is such a witty, sarcastic genius I'm going to use a word I never use - it's awesome. Nelson DeMille is a master at bringing characters to life, and for me, this is ultimately what makes for a good novel. I feel like I know John and Susan Sutter personally and intimately, which is testament to the author's skill in character development and use of dialogue. DeMille admits to being asked many times (by women) if (a) he was John Sutter, and (b) if not, how could he be reached. Apparently ...more
Tony Perez-Giese
Since we are right smack dab in the middle of summertime, I am going to recommend one of my favorite books OF ALL TIME. Yeah, I know DeMille is kind of a hack, but he was touched by the divine on this novel. I have read this book 10 times, and recommended it to over 40 people. Only one of them came back with anything but praise (and that dude was a Faulkner scholar at Duke, if that tells you anything ;).

Let's just say the GREAT GATSBY meets THE GODFATHER. Wonderful stuff. And perfect for the bea
Marjorie
Almost 5;* crazy ending, outwardly one dimensional heroine, who went to sarah lawrence(but why? all she does is ride horses, screw, dress up in gazebos, paint romantic ruins? And those sulky withdrawn periods mask her absence of moral compass); the protagonist in the midst of mid-life angst equally unbelievable -- how can you be 40 with 20 yr old kids, served in the military, graduated law school, etc... Plus its tooo long...But after you suspend belief, writing is great, plot complex, subject f ...more
Eva Melusine Thieme
The Gold Coast is social satire at its best. The plot, deliciously foreshadowed at several points along the way, is so captivating that you won’t find yourself able to put the book down, the characters are very well drawn, and the dialogue is witty and hilarious. You’ll find yourself laughing out loud many times.

The author himself, Nelson DeMille, describes it as “The Godfather meets The Great Gatsby on the Gold Coast.” And that about sums it up. John Sutter, a lawyer and the self-deprecating n
Patricia
Adore this book! But, it's not a light summertime read which DeMille makes clear in the forward. It's his stab at a real novel rather than his normal mystery types. Any reader of his knows that beneath the delightfully humorous sarcasm found in all of his books, DeMille has meticulously researched each book's topic. This attention to historical detail is remarkable and is woven throughout the book's narrative of huge clash of cultures - the upper crust and the mob. Indeed, his display of the nor ...more
The Cute Little Brown-haired girl
If you liked the Saprano's or you just like anything Godfather-sih or anything to do with the Mob then you will love this. It is sexy, funny, and a great plot. A little predictable towards the end--but then there is a twist right when you think you know what will happen. It is excellent. If you want a good book to read and just can't think of anything,...get this. This is a great "manly man" book for any guy out there that is looking for a good book to read.
Rachel
I read this about 4-5 yrs ago and tho I don't recall a lot of detail (not a comment on this book if anything I remember it well for me and passing it on with raves pre good reads or ereaders..as per usual with me since I read one book after another I'm lucky by title alone if I can recall if I've read a book..especially if an author I've read many by or a prolific writer who uses titles that sound similar even if I've only read a few.. nm many deets ) I DO recall this and the Gate House well in ...more
Marius van Blerck
I always enjoy a good thriller, especially when I am on holiday, and in the past have rated a number of Nelson De Mille's books highly. Inexplicably, this one is a total turkey. The plot is poor, the dialogue cringing, the humour feeble, and, most importantly, it totally lacks "thrill". Avoid at all costs.
Loni Cranney
I read this book many years ago and loved it. The sequel is coming out the end of October, so I wanted to read it again to refresh my memory. I think I enjoyed it even more the second time around. I am so excited for "The Gatehouse"!! I always look forward to new Nelson DeMille books.
Mansfield Public ...: The Gold Coast Review by Julia Joseph 1 6 Aug 05, 2013 09:46AM
  • In the Night Season: A Novel
  • Good Enough to Dream
  • The Speed Queen
  • Men in Black
  • Survivor
  • No Safe Place (Kerry Kilcannon, #1)
  • Joe Hill
  • Right to Life (Cemetery Dance Novella Series, #4)
  • The Church Of Dead Girls
  • Why Sinatra Matters
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille. He moved as a child with his family to Long Island. In high school, he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army and attended Officer Candidate School. He was a First Lieutenant in the United States Army (1966-69) and saw action as an
More about Nelson DeMille...
The General's Daughter Plum Island The Charm School The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2) The Lion (John Corey, #5)

“What these people were trying to create or re-create here in this new world is beyond me. I can't put myself in their minds or their hearts, but I can sympathize with their struggle for an identity, with their puzzlement, which has troubled Americans from the very beginning - Who are we, where do we fit in, where are we going?” 4 likes
“I wasn't sure about that, but one never knows. Sometimes a neighborhood, like a culture or civilization, is strong enough to absorb and acculturate any number of newcomers. But I don't know if that's true around here any longer. The outward forms and appearances look the same - [...]- but the substance has been altered.” 3 likes