Start by marking “The Change Makers: From Carnegie to Gates, How the Great Entrepreneurs Transformed Ideas into Industries” as Want to Read:

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  3 reviews
“Conjures insights into the history and character of those who keep our economy vital and growing. Illuminating.” —Warren Bennis

Entrepreneurs, even more than inventors, are essential to American business. While inventors produce ideas, entrepreneurs get things done, build the markets, make ideas reality. But what creative talents do the legendary American entrepreneurs sh
Published January 1st 2004 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Change Makers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Change Makers

Kressel Housman
I’m putting this aside for now, and I’m not sure if I’m going back to it. I took it out of the library because my son is doing a report on Andrew Carnegie, and the flap copy looked interesting, so I started it. Chapters 1 and 2 defined “entrepreneur” and “creativity,” but because I didn’t need convincing that entrepreneurs are can be as creative as artists, I found the chapters repetitive.

The rest of the book is supposed to cover twelve or so famous entrepreneurs and point to the traits that ma
Rusty
There is no "formula" in becoming successful, but as the author reveals, there are common virtues that these individuals shared. A great book on free enterprise and economics as well.
Lori Grant
A must-read book on entrepreneurial success stories for the knowledge worker or aspiring entrepreneur.
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Melanie Linn
Melanie Linn marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
David Kingsley
David Kingsley marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Travis
Travis added it
Apr 26, 2014
Mary Lee
Mary Lee marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Roland Eppert
Roland Eppert marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Sreenivas Kota
Sreenivas Kota marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Ajay
Ajay marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Gina Chen
Gina Chen marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Dojin
Dojin marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2013
Ml
Ml marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Marian
Marian marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Derica Holden
Derica Holden marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2012
Maury Klein is renowned as one of the finest historians of American business and economy. He is the author of many books, including The Power Makers: Steam, Electricity, and the Men Who Invented Modern America; and Rainbow's End: The Crash of 1929. He is Professor Emeritus of History at the University of Rhode Island. He lives in Saunderstown, Rhode Island.
More about Maury Klein...
A Call to Arms: Mobilizing America for World War II The Power Makers: Steam, Electricity, and the Men Who Invented Modern America Days of Defiance: Sumter, Secession, and the Coming of the Civil War Rainbow's End: The Crash of 1929 The Genesis of Industrial America, 1870-1920