Start by marking “Fatalis: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Fatalis: A Novel

Fatalis: A Novel

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When an ancient fissure is jolted in the hills above Los Angeles, the giant cats-in suspended animation since ancient time-awake. And then the deaths begin, attributed at first to the modern hazards of setting up a rich and teeming metropolis so close to the natural mountain habitat of bobcats and wolves. But something else is descending from on high, stalking at night, mo ...more
Published October 14th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fatalis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatalis

Matt Diamond
i was reading this while in a tree stand in in the middle of the woods in the middle of the night and i was scared to death. i was so unnerved i about jumped outta the tree. i thought for sure that the bow i had wouldnt hurt a sabor tooth tiger and that i was a goner. check this one out i loved it
Becky Page-McGill
This book is about Smilodon Fatalis that have been brought back to life through cryogenics.
I found the book quite entertaining and have read it several times. Trust me when I say that if you are going to read it then you will want the hard back copy as there are more details printed in it.
There are several reviews that have not rated this as a good book. But I say to each his own.
If you like prehistoric, military, gung ho type books then this is one you may well want to read! Just do it with al
Chadwick Saxelid
A pride of Saber-toothed cats attacks Santa Barbara. (Do you really need to know any more about the book's plot than that? I think not.)

Fatalis is author Jeff Rovin's (Tom Clancy's Op-Center series) follow up to his fun and pulpy, not to mention bestselling, killer bats invade New York novel, Vespers. While Fatalis is every bit as pulpy as Vespers was, it isn't nearly as much fun to read. The reason for this might be the issue I had with the book's rather questionable moral stance.

Rovin's story
Joseph
I have read this book twice now and without doubt the first reading was more exhilarating than the second. Not that Jeff Rovin isn't a good action-thriller writer; by all means he is. It's just that his 'Fatalis' failed to bring the kind of scientific logic required to make this re-emergence of the extinct carnivore, Smilodon Fatalis aka Saber Tooth Cat theory plausible. His attempt to explain how these massive cats woke up from a forced ice age hibernating stupor after 11,000 years, was too sim ...more
Nasim
Fatalis is a book based on prehistoric thoughts. The old stories brought back in this riveting tale. As this book is about carnivorous beasts that get closer to civilization and kill unsuspecting humans. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a classic thriller. This fast-paced book keeps you guessing on whats going to happen next. Jeff Rovin made the Saber-Tooth tiger scarier then other historical beasts.
Shokarokagoogie
The cover tells the tale-maneaters in California. Would make a great Val Kilmer movie.
Dirk
Big ass sabre tooth cats start coming out of caves in the foothills of Southern California. Mayhem ensues.

Not a very good book but the cover caught my eye and the concept sounded like a nice easy romp.

Not really recommended.
Jaime Contreras
Suppose a pack of trapped sabertooths were loosed from the frozen state and began to pounce on unsuspecting hikers near LA. well, that is the premise of jeff Rovin's novel. Surprise, it works!
Ashley
First time I read it the going was slow; second time was much better!
Ibeyla
Ibeyla marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Matt S.
Matt S. marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Shane Hyham
Shane Hyham marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
SnowSwan
SnowSwan marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Elso
Elso marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Acts of War (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #4) Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #1) Balance of Power (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #5) Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8) State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #6)