Start by marking “Something Out of Nothing: Marie Curie and Radium” as Want to Read:
Something Out of Nothing: Marie Curie and Radium

Something Out of Nothing: Marie Curie and Radium

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Marie Curie's story has fascinated and inspired young readers
decades. The poor Polish girl who worked eight years to be able
to afford to attend the Sorbonne in Paris became one of the
most important scientists of her day, winning not one but two
Nobel Prizes. Her life is a fascinating one, filled with hard work,
humanitarianism, and tragedy. Her work with her husband,
Pierre -
Published March 21st 2006 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Something Out of Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Out of Nothing

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I've been fascinated with Curie since I was a child. I'm not sure why--maybe it's because she was Polish like me, or maybe it's because she was a female scientist, or maybe both. I think it's amazing that she was able to accomplish so much despite the tragedy of losing her husband, the difficulty of being female in a male-dominated field, and her illnesses.

This biography included some fascinating information about the uses of radium, which exposed thousands of people to radioactivity. I was ast
Danielle
Name: Danielle Autumn Shur
McClafferty, C.K. (2006). Something Out of Nothing: Marie Curie and Radium. New York, NY: Farrar Straus Giroux.
Genre: Biography
Format: Print (Book)
Selection Process: WorldCat
Review:
Marie Curie was born Manya Sklodowska in Russian occupied Poland where she learned her native tongue in secret. In 1891 she moved to Paris to attend Sorbonne where she was the first woman to earn her PhD in France. While attending university, Marie met her future husband and lab partner, Pie
Geni
Best Book (Non-Fiction) 4Q 2P M J {Review} A Science Romance.
A personal story, which describes Curie's struggle to get to college, her happy marriage to Pierre Curie and their work together, and her recognition as the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, a prize she won again later for her work in chemistry. The spacious design makes the text easy to read, and occasional photos.
The writing and language is very basic and to the point for history lessons. I would recommend this book to teens for a re
Ljamal3
Marie Curie is a very smart woman, she wants to be a scientist and discover new elements. But so many tragedies and events come into he personal and working life that makes it hard for her to work. So she dedicated her life to science, and every day and night she would be in the laboratory. Then her husband passes away, but she doesn't want this tragedy to get in her way of her work.

Theme: Death, Strength of character
Jackie (Literary Hoarders)
the first book i finished in 2010 was a quick but interesting book about Mme. Curie and the discovery of Radium. i think it was written for teenagers because it was a simple account of what happened in those days when they thought that radium was going to save the world. i was glad not to have to read all of the complicated scientific jargon and research excerpts and still find out what she was all about (i really didn’t know too much about her).

Marie Curie was born in Poland during the Russian
Danielle
Something Out of Nothing: Marie Curie and Radium is a biography about Marie Curie, but focuses on her work with radium. I will admit that when I pick this book I did not know who Curie was, but because of that this novel was a very interesting read. The book goes in chronological order and starts off with her life living in Poland, and how the Polish people were being oppressed by the Russians. She has four siblings and a caring mother and father. Sadly, her mother had tuberculosis and was never ...more
Elaine
Wow! What a life Marie Curie lived! Totally amazing. I could not help but be inspired when I read about her life -- the incredible strength that she had to endure and accomplish all that she did.

My 13 year old daughter was chosen, out of all of the 7th Grade girls in her middle school, to attend a scholarship funded week long girl's math and science camp at Stanford University. In preparation to go to the camp, my daughter was asked to read a book about Marie Curie. This book was one of two book
Cindy
This biography is about the life of Marie Curie, the woman who discovered radium. Maria Salomea Skłodowska was born 7 November 1867 in Poland, which at that time was part of the Russian Empire. Marie grew up having to speak polish, and get an education in secret from the government. In her family education was held in high regard so after working as a governess to support her older sister’s education her sister assisted her in going to France to continue her education. Marie worked herself to th ...more
Esther May
Before reading this book, I basically knew very little about Marie Curie. What I read fascinated me. I was amazed by her dedication to what she was passionate about. She worked hard throughout her live, even through very sad happenings. She overcame great oppression to gain her education. It was interesting to read about Radon. Many people knew of the healing properties of this element and jumped on the bandwagon, selling it, using it, injecting it, and ingesting it. All this would later end the ...more
Jacques
Quite an interesting biography, had the potential to be very emotional for Marie had a challenging life, but the author did not emmerse them self into her world. Other than that the facts where there and I learned a lot.
Tawnya
Marie lived a hard and challenging life, but she never stopped. She was drawn to the sciences and kept at it her entire life. She wanted to contribute to life and the Polish she did.
Emese
McClafferty’s engaging biography of extraordinary scientist and humanitarian Maria Skłodowska-Curie provides an in-depth look at the life, successes and suffering of the two-time Nobel Prize winner physicist and chemist. Curie followed her sister to study in Paris, where she conducted experiences with her husband, Pierre Curie. The book provides both scientific and sensationalist details on Curie's work and personal life, from her work with Radium, X-Ray machines and her efforts during the war, ...more
Will Boncher
Interesting, didn't know too much about her other than the super basics.
Brady Wellman
I really liked how it told the story, but I didn't like the ending.
Paloma
It was a good read for the most part, but I wish it had more about polonium. Even though it is about Marie Curie and RADIUM, I felt that they only said a couple sentences about polonium, then moved on.
From the aspect of a biography, it was really good. It kept me captivated to the end, and I didn't lose interest for one second!
Alyssa
Easy-to-read and inspiring story about Marie Curie. There were no boring or lengthy explanations about scientific procedures, but a great mention of basic principles for this or that discovery. Not a riveting book, but just maybe a teenager would pick this up and be inspired by a woman who changed the world.
Camille
I read this the other night when I couldn't sleep. I bought it to give to Sophie when she gets a little older, and now I can't wait until she's old enough to read it. It's definitely written for older kids. It's simple and short, but it was still fascinating to me. I LOVED reading it.
Andrea
A good book for older students who want to learn more about Marie Curie. Fluid writing makes even the more difficult science topics understandable to even a casual science enthusiast. Very interesting! I learned a lot about her life that I did not know before.
A
May 14, 2010 A rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to A by: Camille
Read it in two sittings in one day. Great book, very informative and interesting. She is someone that I would want to talk to in order to learn about her life, but she wouldn't allow that, which makes her somehow cooler.
Joy
Nov 22, 2007 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: jfic
I never knew much about Marie Curie. I have found this to be a fascinating read. Excellent non-fiction for children.
Sidik Fofana
SIX REVIEW: Be careful of wonder drugs (radium).
Yashna
never stop working for what you want
PWRL
Mar 16, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Rachel Von Ravenstein
Rachel Von Ravenstein marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
May 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Many Faces of George Washington: Remaking a Presidential Icon Fourth Down and Inches: Concussions and Football's Make-Or-Break Moment In Defiance of Hitler: The Secret Mission of Varian Fry Profiles #3: Tech Titans Forgiving God: A Woman's Struggle to Understand When God Answers No