Start by marking “Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen

Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  295 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
I love supper. It’s friendly and relaxed. It’s easy to invite people over for supper, for there’s a quality of comfort that isn’t always there with dinner, a meal that suggests more serious culinary expectations—truly a joy to meet, but not all the time. Supper, on the other hand, is for when friends happen to run into each other at the farmers’ market or drop in from out ...more
Published November 6th 2007 by Ten Speed Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen

Lisa R.
Jun 15, 2008 Lisa R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs dinner ideas and doesn't mind putting in a little effort
The focus here is specifically on suppers, as the name implies. I love Deborah Madison and her cookbooks, and her emphasis on real foods. The only reason I gave this one four stars is because many of the recipes are, to my untrained mind and moderate skill level, rather elaborate and timely to prepare - and I felt the book sort of promised quick, easy suppers - but perhaps I was reading too much into things?

Some of the best and simplest dishes are the egg ones, which have become favorites at my
Liz
Jul 05, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I love making Madison's more complex recipes (such as many of the ones in this book) when I have the time to do so. The brussel sprout and mushroom ragout alone would make this book worth keeping in my opinion. I find that my colder climate and less foodie location tends to mean that tweaking the recipes often helps (for example, in the ragout recipe mentioned above, I substitute fresh mushrooms for dried in the stock, as it's difficult to find high-quality dried mushrooms here) but I have a ten ...more
Karen
Oct 01, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My most used and loved cook book.
Feb 26, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Although we've net met, Deborah Madison taught me to cook. The best dishes I've ever tasted outside of a restaurant have been from her recipes. I have most of her books, and highly recommend them to friends, family and people interested in vegetarian cooking. This one is great because it contains some quick and easy options, and might work better for cooking for one or two people, or people with busy schedules. Her other books are fantastic, but in general, the recipes require many ingredients a ...more
Inge
Feb 17, 2012 Inge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I have to say, this is a little gem of a cookbook. I keep turning to it time and time again. Every recipe I've made so far has been delicious and most have ended up as part of the regular rotation. So far, our favorites are the Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa, Corn, & Feta (seriously good), Black Beans with Yellow Rice (adding coconut milk to the beans and rice cooking liquid was a revelation!), and the Black Bean Tostadas with Cabbage. I really want to try the Feta and Ricotta Skillet Pie next. ...more
Linda
Jun 01, 2008 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: Credo
Shelves: cookbooks
I enjoyed browsing this book. I own just about every other book Madison has written, and I didn't feel the need to rush out and get this. The recipes are quick and simple, and they certainly sound delicious, but they are more for those who like to cook something new each night. As my style is much more to cook in bulk, freeze, and reheat, there wasn't much here for me. It's a lovely book, but I can glean enough quick, simple recipes from the books of hers that I already own. Still, if the style ...more
Sheral
Sep 20, 2009 Sheral rated it it was amazing
I just love reading Deborah Madison cookbooks her food is always so pretty. The recipes that I have made don't need much toying with and that says a lot about her food ideas. I'm not vegetarian but I do like cooking her dishes they are wonderful and flavorful to the point that you really don't miss the meat, or if you do it would not be hard adding it to the dish. Most anyone would be satified with these wonderful recipes I know I enjoy the adventures in taste she takes you on.
I highly recommend
Ivonne
Feb 01, 2015 Ivonne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook-library
27.50
Jennye
May 03, 2014 Jennye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Love it. It went directly into the buy column.
Heather Mayes
Jan 02, 2010 Heather Mayes rated it it was amazing
Lovely, lovely meals...
This book taught me to make delicious polenta. I recommend the porcini and tomato ragout, the spongy semolina crepes, the winter squash lasagne, Neelam's festive rice Pilaf, tomatillo salsa, and stock for stir-fries (only need a little at a time, so freeze in ice-cube trays, transfer to a freezer container, and it will last you months of stir-fries).
Melissa
Feb 17, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
This is an amazing cookbook! Every single recipe sounds delicious, and all of the dishes I've made so far are fantastic. Variations are presented for seasonal produce availability, and the section on sauces and other condiments alone makes this a kitchen library must-have.
Annie
Apr 15, 2008 Annie rated it really liked it
So far, this is FANTASTICO. I am crazy about Vegetarian Cooking for everyone and my cousin recently gave me this to add to my collection. I made the stuffed peppers on the cover the other night and wished I had made twice as many. She is a purist and the food is amazing.
Candace
Apr 17, 2008 Candace rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
while this one isn't quite as versatile as 'vegetarian cooking for everyone,' it still shows that deborah madison is a whiz with fresh, seasonal produce. i don't know if i could get through a market season without some inspiration from her recipes.
Aguess
Sep 24, 2013 Aguess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I checked out this book from the library to get Vegetarian inspiration for weeknight dinners. It worked. I didn't find this as comprehensive as some of her other books but it was well organized and the recipes were easy to follow.
Meghan
Sep 05, 2015 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
We've made a lot of recipes from this lately. Madison focuses on mixing seasonally available produce and eggs, beans, tofu and other protein sources. Some of these recipes are great for using large quantities of farm share produce.
Jess
Jan 19, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because it provides you with a whole meal solution. No need to scramble for side dishes after cooking fancy main dish. It's all here with directions about what to do when so it is all ready at the same time.
Inder
Jun 01, 2008 Inder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: domesticarts, cooking
This is not as useful and comprehensive a book as Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, but it's full of good recipes and beautiful pictures. Lots of wonderful, simple recipes for a summer garden here, especially.
Lisa
Mar 17, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I cook many recipes from this book each month. Some of my favorites so far are the cover recipe - quinoa stuffed peppers, black beans and saffron rice with pickled onions, and brussels sprouts and mushroom ragu.
Jun 10, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people wondering what to do with their farmer's market haul.
Really simple, beautiful recipes. So far everything has been delicious and pretty easy to prepare for this non-vegetarian out of readily-available ingredients.

Liz
May 30, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite recipes:

Spinach crepe cake
Labor Day spaghetti
Yellow bell peppers stuffed with quinoa, corn and cheese

If only the binding wasn't broken on my copy!
Nuzhat
Mar 07, 2016 Nuzhat rated it liked it
Not my favorite vegetarian cook book. recipes can be complicated and the others are obvious- flavored eggs over toast for dinner- doesn't take a recipe.
Sally
Jul 07, 2010 Sally added it
Gotta be ready for all those veggies once the CSA begins.

Good stuff, but I'm taking it back to exchange it for "The One Armed Chef"
I am really digging this so far. Each recipe comes with suggestions for sides and wine and it all looks so goooood...
Cherie
A- What a wonderful cookbook. There are so many fantastic-sounding recipes in here that I need to buy this book!
Megan
Oct 22, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I made some great dishes out of this cookbook - I think I may buy it and add it to my collection.
Kristen
Aug 15, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alot of these don't sound good, but end up really tasty when you make them.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
It is a good Deborah Madison cookbook but not amongst her classics
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is good but not in my top five for her
Beka
Feb 28, 2013 Beka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Nice, but nothing that appealed to me.
Wendy Hollister
Sep 01, 2009 Wendy Hollister rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very good vegetarian cookbook.
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook
  • HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
  • Quick-Fix Vegetarian: Healthy Home-Cooked Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • The Vegetarian Family Cookbook
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Real Vegetarian Thai
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • The Vegetarian Planet: 350 Big-Flavor Recipes for Out-Of-This-World Food Every Day
Deborah Madison is an American chef, writer and cooking teacher. She has been called an expert on vegetarian cooking and her gourmet repertoire showcases fresh garden produce. Her work also highlights Slow Food, local foods and farmers' markets.
More about Deborah Madison...