Start by marking “Mehr Bier” as Want to Read:
Mehr Bier

Mehr Bier (Kayankaya #2)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  165 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Nach einem Sprengstoffanschlag auf eine Chemiefabrik und dem Mord an deren Chef Böllig werden vier Mitglieder einer Umweltorganisation verhaftet. Den Anschlag geben sie zwar zu, das Attentat auf Böllig bestreiten die vier Männer jedoch vehement. Da Zeugen noch eine fünfte Person gesehen haben wollen, beauftragt der Verteidiger der Angeklagten den türkischen Privatdetektiv ...more
Published January 1st 1989 by Diogenes Verlag (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Mehr Bier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mehr Bier

Steve Anderson
Oct 25, 2011 Steve Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Private detective Kemal Kayankaya can’t help sticking his nose where things stink. In Jakob Arjouni’s tough and nonstop crime noir tale from 1987, four so-called eco-terrorists in West Germany are accused of murdering the head of a Frankfurt chemical company whose products should, in a just world, get it accused of crimes of its own.

The four suspects had sabotaged the company’s chemical plant, but they deny murdering anyone. A fifth man was seen at the crime, yet no one in authority seems willin
Betty
Jun 07, 2015 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, germany
Having totally forgotten that I read the first in the series several years ago and was unimpressed, I believed the hype about Arjouni in a recent article. I continue to be underwhelmed. My main problem is that I do not like the detective. He seems to have no emotional connections, no family, no friends, not even any ex-wives. His strongest attachment is to Scotch, though he is not picky when it comes to alcohol. On the plus side, he does have a strong sense of justice and perseverance. Just not ...more
Linda
Nov 23, 2013 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four young people have been put on trial for the destruction of a sewage pipe at a chemical plant. The body of the owner was found a short way away from the pipe - shot to death. A couple camping near the polluted lake report that they saw a 5th person running from the scene after they had heard the shots and the explosion. The defense attorney isn't getting information that will help him in the defense because the 4 won't talk to him. So he hires a private investigator to find the 5th person.

T
Wal.li
Jun 13, 2013 Wal.li rated it it was amazing
Nochn Bier
Im Jahre des Herrn 1986 sprengen Umweltaktivisten das Abflussrohr einer kleinen Chemiefabrik in die Luft. Vier der Täter sind schnell gefasst. Sie werden auch des Mordes an dem Fabrikbesitzer angeklagt, der kurz nach der Explosion erschossen aufgefunden wird. Vehement bestreiten die jungen Leute diese Tat. Und hier kommt Kayankaya ins Spiel. Der Anwalt der Umweltschützer beauftragt ihn, den fünften Mann zu suchen.
Und dann beginnt der Leser über das deutsche Rechtssystem zu staunen. Kay
Larissa
Review of Melville House's new crime imprint and the Kayankaya series in particular (including Happy Birthday, Turk!, One Man, One Murder, More Beer, and Kismet) published in The L Magazine. See review (here: http://goo.gl/qJ5RD) or full text below.

***

“Crime=Culture.” So says Dumbo publisher Melville House about their new imprint, Melville International Crime. MIC represents the publisher’s latest venture to expand their existing catalog of fiction in translation, but although Melville House has
Maddy
Jan 28, 2014 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
PROTAGONIST: Kemal Kayankaya, PI
SETTING: Frankfurt, Germany
SERIES: #2 of 5
RATING: 3.25
WHY: Four eco-terrorists sabotage a chemical plant, and a man is murdered. PI Kemal Kayankaya suspects that there was a fifth man involved. Kayankaya is a Turk by birth, which leads to interesting interactions as he investigates. I liked the noir overtones of the book but felt that the conclusion fell apart a bit as Kayankaya faced beatings and more.
Tyler Jones
Having read and enjoyed two other books in the Kayankaya series I came to this expecting the same level of plotting, characterization and social commentary. I was very disappointed. The plot makes little or no sense. It is as if Arjouni wrote the book in one sitting, with no plot outline, making it up on the fly. What is far worse is that our hero, Kemal Kayankaya, has somehow lost all the wit and honor he shows in the other books in the series and resembles the very bullies and boors that he us ...more
Jeremy Hornik
A new mystery series!(To me, anyway... it was written in the '80s.) A Turkish private eye in Germany solves the murder of the owner of a chemical plant. This book would have left wing politics if it wasn't so deeply disgusted with life. (It reminds me of Hammett, in that and many other ways.) But the main character comes by his alienation as honestly and thoroughly as any private eye I can remember. Holey plot, lots of drinking, violence, self-loathing. Short -- it took about two hours from cove ...more
Jacob DelValley
Mar 21, 2016 Jacob DelValley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
very good, much better than the first
Jay McNair
Apr 16, 2014 Jay McNair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
From the first sentences I could tell I'd like it—fast-moving, wry, and dark without overwhelming. One of the more breathlessly what-happens-next books that I've read in a while. In this translation the sentences are sharp and punchy. I've never read crime fiction before, and I loved how it follows clear genre stereotypes. Textbook example of E.M. Forster's mix of "flat" and "round" characters. Just plain fun.
Jan Brooks
Detective seemed pretty familiar--in a Philip Marlow / Colombo / Humphrey Bogart kind of way. Writing was ok, story was ok, but I guess I wanted more from the character than his weaknesses. Yeah he likes booze and women--why? So what? Kind of an interesting premise, just left me wanting to know more, which I guess in a way is good. Might want to read more in the series.
Stephanie
I've made three attempts to read this book. Everything about it suggests it should appeal to me, but I can't seem to get into it. I even tried reading it in German in case the translation was just bad. No luck. I might give it one more try, but I'm not hopeful...
Alan
Aug 25, 2012 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Another in an enjoyable series. The plot was better in this book than some of his others - very Raymond Chandler like in the plot twists and the way the characters fit into the story.
Andrea
Mar 03, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: krimi
Herrlich dreckiger Detektiv-Roman, ganz im Stil der alten Helden. Auf allen Ebenen völlig überzogen und unrealistisch, wunderbar schnelle Unterhaltungs-Lektüre.
Aurora  Fitzrovia
war absolut nicht meins und so toll gelesen, wie ich es wegen dem Sprecher Rufus Beck erwartet hatte, fand ich es leider auch nicht...
Edmund
Nov 07, 2011 Edmund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a genius work of genius translated by a genius translator of genius. Just read it you jerk!
Karsten olson
Oct 27, 2008 Karsten olson rated it liked it
According to this book, Germans are racist towards Turks. Shocker.
Karmen
This edition is much better translated.
Raymond Collins
Raymond Collins marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Bilal
Bilal rated it it was ok
May 12, 2016
Jamil Farah
Jamil Farah marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Lukas Davidson
Lukas Davidson marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Attila Kovács
Attila Kovács rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
carlo
carlo rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2016
Frolleinflodder
Frolleinflodder rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Ip Christ
Ip Christ rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Günther
Günther rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Lisa Hofmann
Lisa Hofmann rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • Songs from the Gallows: Galgenlieder
  • Der Knochenmann (Brenner, #2)
  • The Book of Franza and Requiem for Fanny Goldmann
  • Röslein rot
  • Briefe in die chinesische Vergangenheit
  • La solitudine del manager
  • Das Druidentor
  • Arnes Nachlaß
  • Miss Sara Sampson
  • Penthesilea: A Tragic Drama
  • Cave Canem (Felidae, #3)
  • I Was Dora Suarez
  • Brigitta
  • Der arme Heinrich
  • Tristan
  • Maigret's Failure
Jakob Arjouni (alias of Jakob Bothe) published his first novel Happy Birthday, Türke! (1985) at the age of 20.Later he wrote his first play Die Garagen. He became famous after publishing his criminal novel Kayankaya, which was then translated into 10 different languages.

In 1987, he received the Baden-Württembergischen Autorenpreis für das deutschsprachige Jugendtheater for his play Nazim schiebt
More about Jakob Arjouni...

Kayankaya (5 books)
  • Happy Birthday, Türke!
  • One Man, One Murder
  • Kismet
  • Brother Kemal (Kayankaya, #5)