Start by marking “The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate” as Want to Read:
The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate

The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Between TV talk shows, radio call-in programs, email and the Internet, spontaneous-talk media has skyrocketed in the '90s. People are interacting more frequently and more fervently than ever before, turning the English language into an indecipherable mess. Now, this unique and concise compendium presents the most confused and misused words in the language today -- words mi ...more
Published July 2nd 1997 by HarperCollins Publishers

Be the first to ask a question about The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate

The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose BierceThe Penguin Dictionary of Symbols by Jean ChevalierA Visual Dictionary of Architecture by Francis D.K. ChingChambers Dictionary of Etymology by Robert K. BarnhartMrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure and Preposterous ... by Josefa Heifetz Byrne
The Cryptolex List
19th out of 33 books — 14 voters
The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose BierceThe Etymologicon by Mark ForsythThe Horologicon by Mark ForsythThe Elements of Eloquence by Mark ForsythWordbirds by Liesl Schillinger
Lexicographer's Stacks
9th out of 21 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Jul 12, 2015 Mara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Logophiles, and loathers of cacologies
“Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes once declared, ‘Language is the skin of living thought.’ Just as your skin encloses your body, so does your vocabulary bound your mental life.”
I know, I know-- it seems to be the very apogee of absurdity for one to actually “read” a dictionary. But, Eugene Ehrlich has created a sort of paradoxical anti-dictionary; one to be considered “an antidote to the ongoing poisonous effects wrought by the forces of linguistic darkness.”

So, yes, I did, in fact, read al
Doesn't claim to be a comprehensive dictionary, but only to give those words that are often confused and misused. Plus lots (I feel as if I should use "a plethora" just to honor the book) of words that aren't used nearly as often as they should be.
A dictionary with the easy words eliminated. Good idea. You can actually read the whole thing, like I did. The only thing it lacks is a bit of fun along the way. Pretty straightforward definitions. The Preface had an interesting story about defining the word "door" in a 1934 dictionary. What an effort! For what purpose?
hilarious and informative at the same time
I picked this up on a whim, though I was dubious. Reading the preface, my reservations were confirmed. I have never approved of prescriptive dictionaries, grammars, etc. If I want to use the passive or subjunctive modes, I'll bloody well do so. And I never had any difficulty pronouncing 'nuclear', bearing in mind Walt Kelly's comment that it wasn't new and it wasn't clear.

Nor do I have any problem with dictionaries defining quotidian words (and yes, this word is included). Who doesn't know what
Dictionaries are always useful to have, kind of like having a color wheel in Photoshop instead of just a select square palette -- it gives you more options. I think my favorite part of this one, though, is the addendum under criterion warning (rather sarcastically) that people will "eagerly seize upon unfamiliar words and phrases, which somehow are thought to invest our thoughts with the appearance of learnedness."

Which is ... kind of the whole point of the book, isn't it?
Apr 20, 2010 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Linda by: in books to scan for library book sale
Shelves: chcpl
I learned a little, but really don't feel ALL these words are unknown by intelligent people. I did appreciate explanations for a few words which are confused with one another (or misused - i.e. flaunt and flout).
I fashioned myself a lexicographer at one time. I began assembling a collection of word books. This was one of them. Good words here. Nothing wonderful as a book, but good words included.
Jesse Broussard
Still doesn't have half the words used by Pound.
Leo van Halsema
Fits your dictionary needs perfectly.
Huma Rashid
Totally solid.
Brooks Annarino
Brooks Annarino is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2015
Jenn B
Jenn B marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Sydney added it
Nov 13, 2015
H I marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Lisa Lindsay
Lisa Lindsay marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Niels Jensen
Niels Jensen marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Mo TF marked it as to-read
Hildanna Farrah
Hildanna Farrah marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Rolland is currently reading it
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Elle marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Araminta Matthews
Araminta Matthews marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Max is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2015
Figgy marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
  • The Superior Person's Book of Words
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words
  • Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure and Preposterous Words
  • Verbatim: From the bawdy to the sublime, the best writing on language for word lovers, grammar mavens, and armchair linguists
  • The Big Book of Beastly Mispronunciations: The Complete Opinionated Guide for the Careful Speaker
  • The Disheveled Dictionary: A Curious Caper Through Our Sumptuous Lexicon
  • Lapsing Into a Comma: A Curmudgeon's Guide to the Many Things That Can Go Wrong in Print--And How to Avoid Them
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten
  • Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language
  • Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary: Or Why Can't Anybody Spell
  • Random House Word Menu: New and Essential Companion to the Dictionary
  • An Exaltation of Larks: The Ultimate Edition
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • Dictionary of Word Origins: Histories of More Than 8,000 English-Language Words