The Green and the Gray

The Green and the Gray

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Tree-hiding Greens and mountain-hiding Grays hide in Manhattan, alien refugees from a cataclysmic war, until two teens from opposing sides find both species have survived. On a cold October night, Roger and Caroline Whittier accept an unexpected burden at gunpoint: Melantha Green 12, the Peace Child ready to die, prevented by NYPD Detective Thomas Fierenzo.
Published October 1st 2005 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Green and the Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green and the Gray

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussBlack Beauty by Anna SewellOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
BOOKS WITH 'COLORFUL' TITLES
97th out of 457 books — 42 voters
Presence by Perie WolfordCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClarePresence by Perie Wolford
Fantasy/SF Atlas--New York City
67th out of 106 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy
One of the few (only?) books Zahn wrote that's set in modern-day/near-future Earth. Intricate and interesting. Two feuding alien species plus sympathetic and not-so-sympathetic humans, plus mundane cops. There are several factions and it gets a bit tied up in the middle. The characters have a long conversations attempting to figure out other characters' motivations, and then two chapters later they do it again from three other angles....and then a chapter later they do it again and by that point...more
Tyler
Please vote on list Best Timothy Zahn novels.

A little different from Zahn's other novels being that it is set on a near-future Earth. This isn't a bad thing though. The plot is still engaging and the book is well-written, but one thing I was disappointed in was the characters. In all the previous books by Zahn I've read I really liked the characters and felt connected to them, but in this book I didn't feel anything for the characters. Still a solid read, but not my favorite by Zahn.

Meaghan
In general I just love Timothy Zahn's books. I think he's a great sci-fi writer, and is by far my favorite. This book was very good. Instead of being set in space like so many of his are, Timothy Zahn anchored his plot in modern day New York and added strange and unusual beings to it, the factions known as the Greens and the Grays. For all intents and purposes Timothy Zahn is re-doing Romeo and Juliet, but he gives a fabulous make-over, so that it has less to do with the Romeo and Juliet charact...more
Jonathan Marshall
Timothy Zahn is easily my favorite science fiction author from the modern era of literature. Like many people I know, I was introduced to his work through the Star Wars universe. I loved his handling of beloved characters (his Han Solo is incredible), his imagination with new characters to add to canon (Mara Jade is the obvious example, though I like Talon Karde better), and his new twists on old plot lines (Grand Admiral Thrawn's clone) combined to make very enjoyable reading.

To be honest, I re...more
An Odd1

When hardcover front and back quotes other titles' reviews, expectations lower. Thankfully suspense starts hard and high, snowballs to a final three-way conflict at renovated Ground Zero. From page one, selective revelations manipulate readers, like the characters, down a certain path. When jigsaw parts fit together in an epiphany, suddenly the bottom falls out. One could feel angry, cheated; I felt admiration, awe,...more
Crystal Starr Light
My absolute favorite science fiction author is Timothy Zahn. I have never read as personal or character-driven science fiction action novels as I have from this highly talented author. Not only does he create realistic, personal characters, but he weaves in science fiction as if it is nothing exceptional (instead of some who try to wow us with how the future is).

Plot:
Melantha Green is a sacrifice whose death is supposed to provide peace between her people, the Greens, and their mortal enemies, t...more
Arthur Gibson
A friend who is also a fan of Zahn suggested this to me. I have to admit that from the back cover blurb I was not expecting brilliance. Oh, I knew it would be good. Zahn does excellent plot and I really enjoy his work. So I was determined to keep an open mind. That held for about three chapters. Then I formed the clear opinion that this was a great book. It is an interesting spin on the idea of aliens among us. He adds spice to the classic civil war ideas that are in almost all fiction with alie...more
Judith
Brain Candy Alert!

First, take two alien peoples (Greens & Grays), living seriously underground in NYC for decades who are about to re-stage the Armageddon of their collective past. The only way to Stop The War? The sacrifice of a 12-year-old girl (Melantha Green)....but wait, not everyone favors this move so the girl is abdu.....spirited away at the 11th hour....leaving many unhappy folks, some bent on Revenge

Next, take one Yuppie couple with a creaky marriage, on the way home from a tense "...more
Foomy
What's that you say? A novel by Timothy Zahn without spaceships? It's set entirely in New York City? How good can it be?

Pretty darn, actually. Okay, so we still have aliens and fantastic technology, so I suppose it's not too far out of Zahn's comfort zone, but it's still a pretty significant change from his usual fare. I was pleasantly surprised when I read through this one and found that it was just as good, if a little different, from Zahn's normal space mysteries.

The book opens with a mysteri...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Oct 11, 2010 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: Zair (KoL)
Okay, so not the awesomest book in the world, but it did have some interesting twists. And Sylvia was a pretty cool character.

A few things I forgot to mention. In some ways, this book is like an inverted version of Eifelheim. Also, it has a heaping helping of Big Applesauce. And finally, Zahn (at least in this book) is one of those authors who think that the reader needs to be told the viewpoint character's full name and position as soon as possible, as blatantly and awkwardly as possible. Every...more
Amber Roeder
This is my favorite book. I didn't know what to expect when I picked it up, I just grabbed it because it was written by my favorite author.

As always with Zahn, character development is amazing, and by the end of the book you feel like you know each person intimately.

Great twist at the end, I should have seen coming but delightfully, I missed completely.
Josh!
This was probably the first sci-fi mystery novel I read that wasn't by Asimov, I don't think I even noticed I was reading a mystery novel when I read the Robot novels so this was basically my introduction to said subgenre. It's not my favorite subgenre but this book got me into it. It is set in present day New York and the Greens and The Grays are rival groups of refugee aliens so the book isn't all that sci-fi but it is, as they are aliens. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes mystery novels...more
Jenni Noordhoek
Jan 29, 2012 Jenni Noordhoek rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Timothy Zahn fans, general scifi fans,
The plot gets very complicated, and it's tough to follow all of the political intrigue. However, the action and interesting characters & races make up for it entirely. I was hooked from the first chapter.

My only complaint is that I should have liked to see more of Melantha as a character - she spends most of the book off-screen.

And one more good point - other than a couple of hells and damns, it's completely clean. Would be very suitable for a 12-15yo if they could make it through the poli...more
azvin
Austin Peters
The ideas and detail in this story are great but the problem is that it is written in a boring way. Overall, it's an interesting book with good character development, but this doesn't keep it from being drawn out and slow moving. The book keeps referencing 9/11 also because it was written shortly after the tragedy which is understandable, but takes something away from the writing. I would probably skip over this book and find something else to read.
Matthew
Really more like 3.5 stars.

Hard to put down but drags a bit. The characters were fine, and the main couple had some interesting developments, but they felt sort of stilted and uninspired. Good action, good plot, even if the sci-fi twists were a bit on the cheesy side. And, the ending was disappointing. But, despite all these gripes, it was pretty good. Very Zahn-like, which for me is a good thing, but not his strongest, by far.
Christa - Ron Paul 2016
A wonderful interpretation of ancient folk lore intertwined with modern day society. It is about a couple who on their way home from a play find a girl with choke marks on her neck and their journey to find out where this girl came from and what she is hiding. The story is fast placed and grips you from the first chapter. Good for anyone older than 12 and a great book to read with your family.
Wendy
This was not up to his usual greatness. I found the plot was basically, the couple are kidnapped to talk to a leader. The couple are kidnapped again to talk to another leader. The couple are kidnapped again to talk to a third leader. Etc. Plus, the cover was just humiliating. That girl looks like a freak. I had to make sure and keep the book cover down.
Matt
Normally Timothy Zahn delivers high action page turners with decent characters and not too much complexity e.g. Cobra's, Warhorse etc.

Not so much this time; this story of two hidden alien populations living in New York feels painfully drawn out especially due the repeating of several scenes from different points of view.

Carol Riggs
I really enjoyed this story of a battle of two opposing aliens, which takes place on earth with humans caught in the crossfire. The main character is human, and I liked how his mind worked to figure out what was going on, and his protectiveness of the girl whom the "bad aliens" were chasing. Great action and a great storyline.
TZ
I gave this 3 stars, but I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could. The material is a very quick, light read with nothing really that adds to the genre, but the book was quite entertaining, nevertheless.

The story and characters are nothing quite epic, but I'd still recommend this book for a fun, light-hearted and entertaining read.
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Great! I will fill in details sooon.... Timothy Zahn is ALWAYS good. I was introduced to him through the Star Wars universe, but have read independent Zahn titles too, and regardless - that man can really tell a story! Good characters, good plots, the words on his pages succeed in giving readers a good time.
Jean-Luc
There's this sense that if these feuding aliens came to blows, there would be problems... At one point, the NYPD launches a full-scale surprise assault, and it's shut down almost immediately. That part just really stuck out in my mind. As for where the aliens came from... I'm not buying it.
Craig
Zahn is known for having written dozens of good hard science fiction novels, but this one seems to me to be an exception. The science content struck me as being fuzzy, slight, and downright unconvincing, but he makes up for it with careful characterization and tight plotting.
Garret Reece
More brain candy from Zahn; not a bad book, but there's a lot of unrealistic actions by characters: "there are aliens among us, they're fighting a hidden war, and they have Powers? Okay."

Not really recommended, but better than average scifi brain candy.
Sabur76
Not exactly my cup of tea. The plot was interesting enough, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

I would recommend it if you were looking for something a little different or if it was for sale at an used book store or yard sale.
John
I enjoyed this book, although not as much as his other novels. I really do enjoy his writing style. It uses the Norse and Greek myths in a neat way. It started off a little slow, but it picked up the pace after about 70 or 80 pages.
Steven
The writing is pretty good. There are several places where events get confused, though. The ending is weak. The setting is very interesting, but he lets some big plot holes in to disallow some things you'd expect to happen otherwise...
Wealhtheow
Hahhah, Tim, you suck. His Star Wars books were great fun, but his original fantasy is so lackluster and banal that I gave up half way through. I almost never give up on books, but this one was really boring.
Poussinette (Sophie)
This one is an ovni. It mixes (successfully) SF, urban fantasy and detective work. It's far from perfect, I had difficulty connecting to a few of the characters, but it is definitely worth reading.
  • The Sagittarius Command (Tour of the Merrimack, #3)
  • Clark's Law
  • Accusations
  • Probability Moon (Probability, #1)
  • Blood Oath
  • The Light-Years Beneath My Feet
  • Rogue Star (Firestar, #2)
  • Tomorrow and Tomorrow
  • Way of the Pilgrim
  • Hell's Gate (Multiverse, #1)
  • Singularity's Ring
  • The Long Night of Centauri Prime (Babylon 5: Legions of Fire, #1)
  • The Shining Company
  • Gravity Dreams
  • Raven Mask (Kassandra Lyall Preternatural Investigator, #2)
  • Starfarers
  • A Stainless Steel Trio (Stainless Steel Rat, #1-3)
  • Magic Time (Magic Time #1)
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec...more
More about Timothy Zahn...
Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1) Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #2) The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #3) Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn, #1) Vision of the Future (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn, #2)