Start by marking “Ways to Live Forever” as Want to Read:
Ways to Live Forever

Ways to Live Forever

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  4,424 ratings  ·  770 reviews
"My name is Sam. I am eleven years old. I collect stories and fantastic facts. By the time you read this, I will probably be dead."

Sam loves facts. He wants to know about UFOs and horror movies and airships and ghosts and scientists, and how it feels to kiss a girl. And because he has leukaemia he wants to know the facts about dying. Sam needs answers to the questions nob
Published January 7th 2008 by Marion Lloyd Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ways to Live Forever, please sign up.

Terri This is a realist fiction. That means that it isn't true, but could be!…moreThis is a realist fiction. That means that it isn't true, but could be!(less)
Ways to Live Forever by Sally NichollsEdna in the Desert by Maddy LedermanWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Moving Books for All Ages
1st out of 33 books — 27 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingBridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Books That Made You Cry
215th out of 1,366 books — 3,004 voters

More lists with this book...

Joe
Let's be honest. I usually only review books I can bash. It's something I like to do. But for Ways to Live Forever, one really must follow my thought process.

Page One Thoughts: This stupid book is going to make me cry.
Page Seventy-Six Thoughts: Actually, this might turn out to be cheesy.
Page One-Thirty-One Thoughts: Why am I scared of dying all of a sudden? Also, this is pretty heady stuff for young readers.
Page One-Seventy-Two Thoughts: No! This is manipulative! This book wants me to cry! I wil
Harun Harahap
Apr 07, 2010 Harun Harahap rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lita, Echa dan Roos
Shelves: punya, fiksi, terjemahan
Saat aku membaca halaman pertama kisah ini dimulai, aku tahu bahwa aku akan jatuh cinta dengan buku ini.

Kisah ini menceritakan seorang bocah lelaki berusia 11 tahun yang menderita penyakit Leukimia. Bocah lelaki yang mempunyai rasa ingin tahu yang besar termasuk didalamnya adalah kematian. “Bagaimana kita tahu sudah mati? Sakitkah kalau mati? Apakah dunia masiha da setelah aku mati”, pertanyaan macam itu yang membuat saya ingin merengkuh dan memeluknya dan mengatakan semua akan baik-baik saja da
Josiah
"There's no point having wishes if you don't at least try to do them"

--Sam McQueen, "Ways to Live Forever", page 60

This book subtly captured me and led me into its story, until before I even knew what was happening I was totally invested, heart, mind, and soul, in Sam and his life. The tension of approaching climax weighed on me as if it were happening to my own friend, and the panic juxtaposed against Sam's own calm regarding the seeming inevitability of his impending death lay powerfully on
Monica!
Ways to Live Forever has been consistently recommended to me by basically every seventh-grade girl ever, sometimes while they are still actively weeping over the ending.

So I figured I should actually pick it up and read it! That way, instead of just telling twelve-year-olds that based on popular opinion they’ll cry until they have no tears left in their body, I could knowledgeably tell them that they’ll cry until they have no tears left in their body.

But I was skeptical, friends.

As you know, I’
Helna
Lagi asyik-asyiknya liatin rak-rak buku di Gramedia PS ma adek, eh saya malah ketemu buku ini. Beruntungnya lagi kaver plastiknya gak ada, jadi saya bisa baca dan seperti biasa memutuskan Beli atau Gak. Dan tahukah kawan, setelah membaca halaman awal buku ini saya malah keterusan baca..Kesimpulannya : Buku ini jadi saya beli (walau sudah lumayan kotor dan lecek karena sering dibaca dan stoknya cuma ada satu!).

Singkat Cerita:

Buku ini bercerita banyak hal, tapi akan saya singkat saja berdasarkan p
Joni
This book is just... wow. I'm sorry I can't think of a more intelligent way to put it, but it was so incredibly ... beautiful. You can't often say that about what is supposed to be a kids' book, but this was so simply, heartbreakingly written, it was like ... it was so terrifically honest and convincing, half the time I was sure I was reading a true, Anne-Frank-style diary. Both Sam and Felix leapt off the page and in to my head, and I can tell you now, I will never forget them.
But what is so he
Meinar
Happiness is not about what you will get, but what you have and do now.

Membaca buku ini awalnya saya sangka hanya akan menemukan cerita anak2 biasa yang typically kisah seorang anak sebelum meninggal, yang sudah banyak saya baca di edisi2 Chicken Soup. Tapi semakin lama, ternyata saya ikut masuk ke dalam tubuh dan pikiran Sam. Saya mulai ikut merasakan sendiri kesepiannya, saya ikut merasakan bahagia dengan mimpi2nya, saya ikut merasakan sakit atas penderiataannya, dan pada saat dia mengatakan
e.c.h.a
indah. menggetarkan. simpel.

Kita tak perlu menunggu mati untuk memaknai arti kehidupan.
Althesia
Di dalam buku yang satu ini, ada seorang anak berumur 11 tahun yang mengidap leukemia.Can you imagine that? Dia berusia 11 tahun dan mengidap leukemia!! Anak ini dikenal dengan nama Sam.

Sam suka mengumpulkan fakta. Ia bercita-cita menulis sebuah buku. Buku yang berisi berbagai fakta, pertanyaan, bahkan kumpulan hal-hal yang disukainya. Pertanyaan-pertanyaan yang ia sampaikan disebutnya sebagai pertanyaan tak terjawab. Salah satunya adalah : "Kenapa Tuhan membuat anak-anak jatuh sakit?" Jika pert
Wezy
Aug 11, 2008 Wezy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you like the children and dramatical books, it's a must read!!!
Recommended to Wezy by: No one at all
When he was eight, the son of friends of mine went through a sort of John Webster phase, being much obsessed with death. His fondness for poking at road-kills and gazing at graveyards troubled his parents, of course, but not half as much as the interminable questions. What's it like to die? How do you know when you're dead? What happens afterwards? Why do we have to die anyway? These are "The Questions that Nobody Answers", according to Sam McQueen, the 11-year-old hero of Ways to Live Forever. ...more
Nura
Pertanyaan no. 1: Bagaimana kita tahu kita sudah mati?
Pertanyaan no. 2: Kenapa Tuhan membuat anak-anak jatuh sakit?
Pertanyaan no. 3: Bagaimana kalau ada orang yang sebenarnya belum mati, tapi dikira sudah mati oleh orang-orang lain? Apakah dia akan dikubur hidup-hidup?
Pertanyaan no. 4: Sakitkah kalau mati?
Pertanyaan no. 5: Seperti apakah kelihatannya orang yang mati? Atau apa rasanya?
Pertanyaan no. 6: Kenapa sih orang mesti mati?
Pertanyaan no. 7: Ke mana orang setelah mati?
Pertanyaan no. 8: Apak
Miss Kodok
Sam, seorang bocah laki-laki berusia 11 tahun penderita leukimia lymphoblastic akut...menuliskan hari-hari terakhir dalanm hidupnya. Mengetahui bahwa hidupnya tidak akan lama lagi, ia ingin memberikan kenangan yang indah bagi orang-orang yang ditinggalkannya dan hidup di hati mereka selamanya. Sebuah kisah yang sangat menyentuh..., bagaimana seorang anak menghadapi kematian ini tidak dengan kesedihan dan rasa putus asa, ia melakukan hal-hal yang ingin ia lakukan sebelum ia pergi. Walaupun banyak ...more
Meaghan
The 9-to-12 age group's answer to Jenny Downham's Before I Die. 11-year-old Sam keeps a notebook in the final months of his life, while he's getting palliative care for his leukemia. He's on homebound instruction with his friend Felix, who also has terminal cancer, and visits a clinic once a week to get his medicine. Sam has a real voice, just the right one for a child his age. His story brought tears to my eyes.

What struck me the most about the story was Sam's family. They were a functional fam
Milan/zzz
How lovely novel this is. Normally I don't read novel for young adults but I did liked this one very much indeed. The language is simply but absolutely beautiful; portraits as well; it's really impossible not to love Felix and entire Sam's family (and of course Sam). From the very beginning you are stunned by horrifying circumstance characters of the novel are facing with and feel gratefulness cause you're not from that story. Then you realize that there are numerous people in precisely the same ...more
Aarón Asmat Aranda
(3.5)
No es la clase de libros que pueda sorprenderte, quizá si conmoverte, pero en sí su mayor logro es el hacerte ver la enfermedad -y espera de la muerte- de una manera distinta.
Lo que más me ha gustado ha sido el desarrollo de la amistad entre Sam y Felix, creo que ha sido una de las relaciones más bonitas que he visto en la literatura (Y spoiler: una de las más tristes).
La mejor (o la peor) escena fue definitivamente la sonrisa de Felix por Sam <\3
A pesar de que me ha gustado mucho y me
Beatrice

The first tear jerker of the year
Mery
Fakta no: 1

1. Namaku Sam.
2. Umurku sebelas tahun.
3. Aku suka mengumpulkan cerita dan fakta-fakta yang fantastis.
4. Aku mengidap leukimia.
5. Saat kalian membaca buku ini, kemungkinan aku sudah pergi.

Awal buku ini membuatku bergidik. Catatan yang begitu lugas dari seorang bocah 11 tahun pengidap leukimia akut.

Buku ini adalah buku harian Sam. Isinya sudah pasti kesehariannya melewati waktu.
Sam tidak bersekolah di sekolah umum. Penyakitnya membuatnya tak bisa melakukan aktivitas di sana. Dan lagi pu
Ndari
"Namaku Sam. Umurku sebelas tahun. Aku suka mengumpulkan cerita dan fakta-fakta yang fantastis. Aku mengidap leukimia. Saat kalian membaca buku ini, kemungkinan aku sudah pergi."

Sam adalah bocah sebelas tahun pengidap leukimia akut. Karena penyakitnya ini, dia tak bisa melakukan hal-hal yang dilakukan anak-anak lain seusianya, seperti bersekolah, bermain sepak bola, atau jalan-jalan ke mal. Hari-hari dilewatinya dengan bersekolah di rumah dengan Felix sahabatnya.
Suatu hari dia memutuskan untuk m
Anne Mariane
Anne's review

Buku ini sebetulnya manis sekali. Aku jatuh cinta ama buku ini pas membaca sinopsis di sampul belakangnya, tentang kematian di mata anak kecil penderita leukemia. Siapa bilang kematian itu mengerikan? Siapa tahu malah asyik, dan seru?

Seperti komentar Granny di buku ini," ..Kematian itu seperti ulat dalam kepompong. Kalau takut keluar dari kepompong, kapan bisa berubah jadi kupu-kupu yang cantik?"

Mungkin kalau lihat versi aslinya lebih jatuh cinta lagi (karena sampul terbitan GPU ngg
Jess
Although I was personally caught up in Sam's story (and yes, crying through the second half), I was distracted by the question of whether or not this book would really appeal to an eleven year old boy. I know there's an appetite for sob-stories in young girls, but would boys pick this up? I can't say I know the answer, but one thing consoled me - Sam is really thinking things through. We see his distraught parents trying to cope, and occasionally they come on the scene as realistic, fully-fleshe ...more
Siobhan
The three stars I gave this book probably reflects me more than the book: through that, I mean it would probably be a higher rating if I was a younger reader.

It is a good read. For the young reader it is an eye opener. Think ‘The Fault In Our Stars’ without the teenage hormones mudding the water. Short and sweet you’re able to engage with the book and receive a real message.

Yet, what left me somewhat disappointed (which is why I say my rating is more so due to the fact that I would have enjoyed
Deanna
Realistic fiction--death, family, writing, friendship, inquiring. Absolutely wonderful book about a boy named Sam who is dying of leukemia. His teacher invites him to write a book and he includes lists, all of his questions about death that no one wants to talk about or answer, facts, his goals, things he collects (kind of like a scrapbook), etc. He meets a friend named Felix in the hospital who also is dying and they work on Sam's list of things he wants to do including smoking, kissing a girl ...more
jo mo

Been made into a movie

Basically it's about a boy who knows he's gonna die, but has a list of things-to-do he wants to fulfill before it's too late. This element has been used a lot of times in many, many books, but never ceases to get old (to me).
The voice Sally Nicholls created through 11 year-old Sam rang true in my ears.
It was depressing, a few times touching & still a good example to what death can do to the one dying and the loved ones being left behind.

Yi Ly
No lo puedo puntuar aún porque es lectura del club.
Naomi
I finished this book an hour ago & I had to wait and pull myself together before writing this review.
It is one of the most emotional books I've ever read.
Anyone who reads this and doesn't shed tears has a heart of stone!
I HATE it when people give a book less stars just because its sad. Surely if a book can evoke such strong emotions in a person then that is proof that it is very well written and the reader is fully engrossed in the story!
I gave it 5 stars because this story deserves no less
Paula  Phillips
With the movie and book "The Fault in Our Stars" released, the teens of nowadays are going through a phase of reading books that are set around the topic of "Cancer". When you get to my age though, you have read so many books about this topic, that often it can get kind of boring as you are reading the same thing over and over again. However, Sally Nicholls book "Ways to Live Forever" was amazing and was definitely not boring. The book is set around two main characters 11 year old Sam and 13 ye ...more
Katelyn Tohill
Daisy
***Spoiler Alert***
Do you know someone who wrote a book about your death? Well in this book a boy named Sam writes about events leading to his death. Sam is an eleven year old boy that has leukemia. Sam wants to live his last few days with his family and friends. The genre of this book is realistic fiction. I think this book is a very sad book but a very good one as well.

This book takes place in Sams home town. Sam wants to live his lasts moments with his friends and family but his time living i
Samantha Rodriguez
It's a good book to me it was like a rollercoaster because one second your excited the next youre worried and finally your talking at the book with tears streaming down your face
Jazmine
***Spoiler Alert*** Yes we all love that book or movie that makes us cry. The genre of this book is realistic fiction. I thought the book was one of the best books I've every read. Two people died in this book Sam And Felix (his friend).

Sam wanted to know what happens when you die but he knew that nobody could answer that question for him so he so he started to write a book about it then is friend Felix passes away and is no longer able to help him write his book. This story takes place at the
The Ultimate Teen...: Ways to Live Forever - Sally Nicholls 1 13 Dec 01, 2012 03:32AM
  • Blizzard of Glass: The Halifax Explosion of 1917
  • The Hunt for the Seventh
  • When the Whistle Blows
  • How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous
  • A Dog Called Homeless
  • Saga no Gabai Bachan (Nenek Hebat dari Saga)
  • Love, Aubrey
  • Hai, Miiko! 10
  • Garmann's Summer
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • No Ordinary Day
Sally Nicholls is a prize-winning British children's author. She was born and grew up in Stockton-on-Tees. On finishing school, Nicholls chose to travel around the world. Her first novel was Ways to Live Forever.
More about Sally Nicholls...
Season Of Secrets All Fall Down Close Your Pretty Eyes An Island of Our Own A Lily, A Rose

“There's no point having wishes if you don't at least try to do them” 110 likes
“Things I Want to Happen After I die: You're allowed to be sad, but you're not allowed to be too sad. If you're always sad when you think about me, then how can you remember me?

—Sam McQueen”