Start by marking “The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics)

The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  396 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The world's best-loved children's stories set in large type for easy reading.
-- Over 100 illustrations in each book
Published June 1st 1993 by Playmore Publishers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Machine

Emily
Jan 09, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
SUMMARY
"This is my mini model of the time machine", said the young scientist proudly. Filby and everyone else just stared boringly. Then a random man yelled " Well make it do something!". Then...POOF...it was gone! Filby was amazed as he ran his hands over the table that the model had been sitting on. He was shocked, especially when the young scientist came back one day looking like a zombie!!!

REVIEW
The Time Machine is a very good book. I loved it because it made me want to read more, also, at
Cian
Oct 17, 2011 Cian rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book was a pretty good mixture of action, adventure, and suspense. I liked the book because, well mostly because of the setting, characters, the time machine, and the fact that the book was mostly in the year 802,701 A.D. The book was about a man who invents a time machine and goes forward in time to the year 802,701 A.D. But later in the story he has to fight off a race of ape-like creatures called "Morlocks" to get back his time machine so he can escape back to the previous time.
John
Aug 08, 2016 John rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dreamers, fantasy and sci-fi lovers
Recommended to John by: my 9th grade english teacher
Set in Victorian England, a time traveller recounts his voyage through the future world, where he encounters strange beings and a very different image of society. I had to read it for summer homework going into freshman english, and it was completely worthwhile, not just for a grade.
Alicia
Jan 10, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it
A suspenseful book! It's great for a 7-yr-old and 10-yr-old who love to be scared. Joshie loves hearing about time travel machines.
Kent Kirker
May 01, 2016 Kent Kirker rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Many years ago I watched a modern day film version of "The Time Machine", and I remember enjoying it. I had rented it earlier because I'd known about H.G. Wells and his classic works of science fiction, especially that of "War of the Worlds", which had been ingrained in popular culture when an early radio announcer gave a dramatic reading of the tale that caused a widespread false panic throughout the nation. The Wells family extends into the same room as well, with relative Orson Welles directi ...more
Kory Bootsma
Mar 13, 2015 Kory Bootsma rated it liked it
The Time Machine was written by H.G. Wells during the nineteenth century. An American Classic, this book tells the story of a man traveling throughout time in a time machine. He advances several hundred thousand years into the future and discovers two human-like races: one he perceives to be non intelligent and one animalistic. Met with challenges of perceived entrapment and the loss of his time machine, the man defies odds in order to return to his time.

This book is geared toward young adults
Keira Lanfranco
Apr 23, 2016 Keira Lanfranco rated it it was amazing
COOOOOOOL?>
Alexey Makarov
Aug 08, 2015 Alexey Makarov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Очень хорошее представлении о путешествии во времени и разложении человеческой расы.
Ms. Mielke's Class Make sure you post how your sheets tell you to!!!!
It was okay, but I'm not a real science fiction person. I think it's kind of surprising what they think the future would be like. RH
Ms. Stephens
Dec 27, 2015 Ms. Stephens rated it it was ok
Coby picked it out because of the title & cover; I'd never read it. About 50 pages in they decided they weren't into it.

I finished it (didn't take long...) and was disappointed. Maybe I would like the unabridged version better, but Wells' predictions of the future seemed simplistic.
Christina
Apr 03, 2011 Christina rated it liked it
This captured the kids' interest immediately, so much so that my daughter (7) snagged it and finished reading it on her own. I continued reading it to my son (5) until he started having nightmares of small, white, hairy men coming to get him. Poor, sensitive little boy.
Ilana
May 30, 2015 Ilana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Illustrated Classics is an amazing series for pre-teens that love to read. As a series, GIC gets my highest recommendation, I loved them as a kid and it definitely helped my love of reading.
Thomas
Jun 10, 2015 Thomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Abi liked it, though she said the movie version (with Rod Taylor) was better. She wants to read the full version instead of the children's classic - she can tell there's a lot left out.
Natalie
Nov 06, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My two boys loved this book. We read it right before Halloween - just spooky enough for the holiday.

It helped teach the concept of time - going forwards and backwards in history.
James Affleck
Apr 02, 2009 James Affleck rated it it was ok
I want the time I spent reading this book back. The syle isn't great and it's not very believable nor does it draw you in that much.
Flora
Sep 18, 2010 Flora rated it liked it
This book was a much easier and faster read than I was expecting. I love the way H.G. Wells wrote the book, but it was kind of sad.
Angela
Mar 16, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
It's always near to imagine what it would be like to go into the future. This was just a little too sad of a future for me.
LJ
Dec 12, 2015 LJ added it
This edition is written for children, so I'd be interested in comparing it to the original.
Cory
Aug 11, 2011 Cory rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, sci-fi, classics
The photos in this version were *terrifying* as a kid and central to my sense of this book.
Daniel
Dec 31, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it
A very basic version of this book, was a great read as a kid!
Michelle Ianniello
Apr 16, 2015 Michelle Ianniello rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-have
Very interesting. I would like to read more by HG Wells.
Micah Rasmussen
Apr 22, 2013 Micah Rasmussen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-library
This was the condensed version but it's still a great book!
Andrew
Katie
Katie added it
Aug 26, 2016
Arianna Miller
Arianna Miller rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
valenciafl
valenciafl rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
JINA YU
JINA YU marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Captains Courageous (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • The Call of the Wild (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle (Great Illustrated Classics)