Start by marking “The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics)

The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The world's best-loved children's stories set in large type for easy reading.
-- Over 100 illustrations in each book
Published June 1st 1993 by Playmore Publishers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Machine

"This is my mini model of the time machine", said the young scientist proudly. Filby and everyone else just stared boringly. Then a random man yelled " Well make it do something!". was gone! Filby was amazed as he ran his hands over the table that the model had been sitting on. He was shocked, especially when the young scientist came back one day looking like a zombie!!!

The Time Machine is a very good book. I loved it because it made me want to read more, also, at
Kory Bootsma
The Time Machine was written by H.G. Wells during the nineteenth century. An American Classic, this book tells the story of a man traveling throughout time in a time machine. He advances several hundred thousand years into the future and discovers two human-like races: one he perceives to be non intelligent and one animalistic. Met with challenges of perceived entrapment and the loss of his time machine, the man defies odds in order to return to his time.

This book is geared toward young adults
This book was a pretty good mixture of action, adventure, and suspense. I liked the book because, well mostly because of the setting, characters, the time machine, and the fact that the book was mostly in the year 802,701 A.D. The book was about a man who invents a time machine and goes forward in time to the year 802,701 A.D. But later in the story he has to fight off a race of ape-like creatures called "Morlocks" to get back his time machine so he can escape back to the previous time.
Alexey Makarov
Очень хорошее представлении о путешествии во времени и разложении человеческой расы.
Ms. Stephens
Coby picked it out because of the title & cover; I'd never read it. About 50 pages in they decided they weren't into it.

I finished it (didn't take long...) and was disappointed. Maybe I would like the unabridged version better, but Wells' predictions of the future seemed simplistic.
Feb 13, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dreamers, fantasy and sci-fi lovers
Recommended to John by: my 9th grade english teacher
Set in Victorian England, a time traveller recounts his voyage through the future world, where he encounters strange beings and a very different image of society. I had to read it for summer homework going into freshman english, and it was completely worthwhile, not just for a grade.
This captured the kids' interest immediately, so much so that my daughter (7) snagged it and finished reading it on her own. I continued reading it to my son (5) until he started having nightmares of small, white, hairy men coming to get him. Poor, sensitive little boy.
Great Illustrated Classics is an amazing series for pre-teens that love to read. As a series, GIC gets my highest recommendation, I loved them as a kid and it definitely helped my love of reading.
Abi liked it, though she said the movie version (with Rod Taylor) was better. She wants to read the full version instead of the children's classic - she can tell there's a lot left out.
My two boys loved this book. We read it right before Halloween - just spooky enough for the holiday.

It helped teach the concept of time - going forwards and backwards in history.
James Affleck
I want the time I spent reading this book back. The syle isn't great and it's not very believable nor does it draw you in that much.
A suspenseful book! It's great for a 7-yr-old and 10-yr-old who love to be scared. Joshie loves hearing about time travel machines.
This book was a much easier and faster read than I was expecting. I love the way H.G. Wells wrote the book, but it was kind of sad.
It's always near to imagine what it would be like to go into the future. This was just a little too sad of a future for me.
The photos in this version were *terrifying* as a kid and central to my sense of this book.
A very basic version of this book, was a great read as a kid!
Michelle Ianniello
Very interesting. I would like to read more by HG Wells.
Micah Rasmussen
This was the condensed version but it's still a great book!
Not bad. Easy reading.
Cal Martin
Cal Martin marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Invisible Man (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Oliver Twist
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
  •  ألغاز إدجار آلان بو
Moby Dick (Great Illustrated Classics) The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)