3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In this exuberant Thanksgiving story, a little girl goes on a last-minute errand for her mother. Along the way, she thanks all the familiar things she loves—her warm boots, the song of the birds, the pretty clouds in the November sky. And when she gets home from her errand, her family thanks her for what she has brought.

David Milgrim’s spare, repetitive text and colorful,...more
Published September 18th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Thank You, Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You, Thanksgiving

Bree
I picked this up because the illustration on the front cover was very cute and made me think I would watch it if it was a cartoon. The words are very easy with only a few on each page, if that. She doesn't explain why she is thankful for each thing, which is my only downside to this book. I did however fill in that part myself like her thankfulness for her boots was because they kept her feet warm. After I explained that my class had a million other ideas of what they were thankful for and why....more
Laura Irrgang
Pick this one up if you're looking for a light, easy read for small children. The bright, flat illustrations have an almost cartoony feel. Sent to the store for whipped cream, a little girl takes a walk through her neighborhood. Along the way, she expressess simply thanks for the things she sees around her. "Thank you, park. Thank you, warm boots. Thank you, fluffy clouds." The repitition and simplicity of the phrases and will appeal to a young audience.
Rita Webb
I think this is a cute story for Thanksgiving. The girl is sent to the store to buy whipping cream, and along the way, she expresses all that she is thankful for. In the end, she sits down to eat her pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top, and she says, "Thank you, Thanksgiving."

My 5-year-old especially liked this book. When it was her turn to say what she was thankful for, she said, "I am thankful for Thanksgiving." So adorable. I couldn't blame her; I also was very thankful for Thanksgiving th...more
Heidi
Gotta throw in Thanksgiving for storytime! This is a good toddler option because it is a few words, fun pictures, and plenty of options to get the kids involved.

11/9/10 Did not go as well with the group as I'd hoped, but they were overall not a very responsive or involved group.

11/16/10 & 11/18/10 Much better with these two toddler groups. The parents got them more involved and they answered my questions. It's making me crave pie--but that's not surprising as I've been craving it all year lo...more
Wissahickon Valley Public Library
A little girl is sent out to run an errand. As she does so, she thanks everyone and everything that she is thankful for on Thanksgiving.

Reading connection: Ask your child what they are thankful for and talk about what you are thankful for too. Work together on a Thanksgiving dessert.
Amy
Very nice storybook for preschoolers or young elementary age kids. The girl in the story is thankful for small things like her warm boots and birdsong as she walks to the store. Her family applauds her when she gets home, then she spends a Thanksgiving meal with her family. Very nice way to open up a conversation with kids about gratitude and enjoying the simple things.
Holly Nelson
A story about a girl who on her way to the store tells what she is thankful for. Simple texts that relate back to illustration to tell the story. Could be used as an lesson about giving thanks around thanksgiving time. Engages the audience by the illustrations.
Aleece
A very simple book about being thankful for the things around us. This is great for really little kids because the pictures are big and colorful and there are not a lot of words. This makes it perfect for the young toddlers and preschool kids in storytime.
Tam
This is a very simple book about a girl who walks around saying "thank you" to different things. It's a bit too young for my 4-year-old but it's a good opportunity to remind him how important it is to say thank you, even for little things.
Autumn Yoon
The story is about a young girl who lists what she is thankful for! Very cute and easy to read. This is a great book for beginning readers! I would read this before the Thanksgiving holiday! Pre-K - Kindergarten!
Edna
This little girl thanks who and what she comes in contact on Thanksgiving day. Very short text with simple illustrations make it a good read-aloud to very young toddlers and babies.
Bridget
This is such a cute book. I like the chunky style of illustrations in this book. The text is very simple, which makes me want to read it to my kids over and over again...quick and cute!
Terri
Very limited text but ideal for young preschoolers during a Thanksgiving storytime - focus is on noticing the small details and being thankful for them!
Amy Carr
One of my favorite Thanksgiving books. Simple, sweet, charming look at all the ordinary things around us that we have to be truly thankful for.
Ashley Greenfield
A nice choice for a holiday read aloud. Certainly discussions of thankfulness and helpfulness can follow this quick story with a predictable pattern.
Kelly Triplett
Jill
Very simple story. Adorable illustrations. Cute story (almost a list rather) of things this little girl is thankful for.
Paula
While on a Thanksgiving Day errand for her mother, a girl says thank you to all the things around her.
June
Feb 14, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents and caregivers of young children
Recommended to June by: Katie Fitzgerald
A simple story of a girl sent on a holiday errand, and finds lots of things to be thankful for.
Nancy J.

This especially cute for the 3's class. Check out other DAvid Milgrim titles!!
Terry
This is a sweet and simple book with unusual, simple and fun illustrations.
Lori
Very cute book showing a little girl who practices an attitude of grattitude.
Amy
Aug 22, 2014
Lorrie
Lorrie added it
Jul 10, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Val
Val added it
Jul 03, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Santa Duck Some Monsters Are Different Siri & Me: A Modern Love Story Cows Can't Fly Eddie Gets Ready For School