Start by marking “Everfree (Idlewild, #3)” as Want to Read:
Everfree (Idlewild, #3)

Everfree (Idlewild #3)

In the conclusion of the trilogy which begins in Idlewind and continues in Edenborn, the Black Ep virus has been eradicated by the post-humans. Now the human survivors who had slept in cryo-stasis during the epidemic awaken--and they are just as power-hungry as ever.
Published April 3rd 2007 by NAL Trade (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Everfree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everfree

Elisha
Jun 09, 2008 Elisha rated it liked it
Everfree, though not awful, was nowhere near as good as Idlewild; after the first book, each subsequent volume got progressively worse.

I'm definitely not a fan of adult Hal in all of his negative anti-hero splendor. At least as a kid his attitude was been acceptable.

Sure, the text emphasizes that humans are pretty much genetically predisposed to mucking existence up for themselves every time; even at the end, DNA and evolution prove stronger than the "patch." It goes in a different direction t
Emily  O
May 09, 2009 Emily O rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no-one
Don't read this. Trust me. Once you have read the first two books this one is just a terrible disappointment. It completely destroys the former plot line and characters, adds a new plot in and then refuses to resolve it, and has a terrible cliche ending that is a disgrace to the previous two. I repeat, do not read this book.
Ashley
Jun 06, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This series picked right up and finished with a block of C4. I felt that most of the loose ends were tied up and it brought a good sense of closure. I would recommend this series to anyone who is looking for a great cyber-punk story, though it is so much more than that. It is a story that makes you question your own reality.

*(Spoilers)*

I was disappointed that so many of the characters were killed off, but with the way the story changed, it at least made some semblance of sense. The characte
Katrin
Jul 03, 2016 Katrin rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookcrossing
This book, as so many I have ever read, start with a really good idea. Here itis a post apocalyptic world where all humans died and only some post humans, genetically altered, survived, now defreezing humans that were saved before all humans died. A new world order had to be put in place to avoid mass panic and anarchy. This book though loses itself in too much talk and too little action. Yes, it is good to build up characters but then to not use this is sad. Also the end was so cheesy after all ...more
Dj
Jun 11, 2010 Dj rated it it was ok
The author sets up this situation that's extremely interesting. Anything can happen! Hal, a cynical, loveable asshole and main character, keeps the tone edgy and fun. Then 3/4 of the way through it's like Sagan didn't know what to do and realized he had to wrap up not just this book, but the trilogy in which this is the third installment. He handled this hastily and horribly in my opinion, and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Christopher Litsinger
Jul 31, 2015 Christopher Litsinger rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2015
This book again stands somewhat separated from the close of it's prequel. It's one of the things this series has going for it.
Two small complaints: (1) the chapters are told in different characters voices, but there's not much of a stylistic difference. (2) I'm not grooving on the whole "free" bit of this story.
Overall, a thought provoking trilogy and worth the time to read.
Laurie
Mar 17, 2015 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Wonderful end to this trilogy. I wish Sagan would write more novels. He's got a really smart, witty and unique voice.
Stephen
So, my general review is basically that the first half is better than the second, mostly because the switch in narrative styles bugged me and I think the first style worked better. The ending always was less than satisfying--though admittedly it would be hard to really wrap up.

Most of what follows is some scientific annoyance at the patch (which is at the end of the book, hence there be spoilers here).

So the patch is a genetic modification to incentivize cooperation. There are probably better wa
Deozaan
May 08, 2010 Deozaan rated it liked it
Recommended to Deozaan by: Challis
Everfree's tone and point of view is much more like a "normal" book. That is, less stream-of-consciousness and more first person narrative. As such, it sets quite a different mood right from the beginning.

I felt a lot more relaxed while reading this book than I did wile reading Edenborn. Nothing really seemed to put me on the edge of my seat (so to speak), which actually gave me a strange sensation during a particularly action-intense scene.

I felt so mellow when Hal was finally at peace with thi
Alice
Not nearly as good as the other two books in the series. None of the characters are fleshed out, plot points are not developed or explored, things just happen with little comment. Not engaging and boring. I read it only to complete the series, wondering what would happen to the second generation after the plague.

BIG Spoilers:

unfreeze Isaac's kids: forget it
clash of rich and poor: not really
clash of 1st generation and 2nd generation: not as good as the previous book
new technologies: no
learn anyth
Javier Maldonado
Oct 25, 2011 Javier Maldonado rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of the Ender's Game series
Everfree is the last book in Nick Sagan's "Idlewild" series. The series centers around a group of genetically engineered "posthumans" that were designed during the late stages of an apocalyptic global epidemic. This book reminds me very strongly of the later Ender's Game books but with a greater emphasis on the underlying structures of a society. The plot focuses more on the protagonist, Halloween, than the earlier books where the books were written from multiple points of view. Everfree is prim ...more
Oscar
Aug 15, 2010 Oscar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
Everfree is a satisfying but underwhelming conclusion to Sagan's overall very enjoyable trilogy. For some reason, the novel lacked the clear and enticing vision of the first part, as well as the touching and at times heart-wrenching character sketches from the second.

Basically, it's a wrap-up, speculating on how humanity might slowly rebuild from cryostasis, after being practically decimated by an epidemic. Sagan's picture is cynical, but not overly so, tending toward what I would consider a hea
Ray
Jul 27, 2008 Ray rated it really liked it
Nick Sagan has constructed a startling trilogy that makes you question the boundaries of human existence. His final installment in this trilogy "Everfree" leaves the reader piecing together unfinished business from his first two books, all the while trying to manage the rollercoaster of character and story development that takes place. Ultimately, the finality of the story begs the question of how far one would go to make our world a better, more suitable place to live.

I remember when I read Sa
Eric
Apr 09, 2009 Eric rated it it was amazing
Book three of the Idlewild trilogy. Black Ep has been conquered at last, and humanity has begun to live again, thawed and cured of disease, and siring children once more. The death of Halloween's son finally convinced him to help with humanity 2.0, and he begins to re-discover his more social side. But with populations come modern problems. Politics rears its ugly head once again, uncontrolled militias patrol the Catskills, and corruption finds a new niche. In all this, one neo-human, Fantasia, ...more
Kristin Lundgren
Last book in the Idlewild trilogy. This book focused on the core group of post-humans, somewhat on a few on their children, and the communities of popsicles that they were unthawing, curing of the deadly disease that wiped out 99.9% of humanity, and overseeing the reconstruction of a society. It doesn't always go as you hope, and things can backfire. I found it to be a brilliant look at societies, how far people are willing to go to get their ends met, and does the end justify the means, etc. So ...more
Julie
Apr 10, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: futuristic
Okay. Hands down, the best of the trilogy -- reading the first two feels like a prelude to reach the awesomery that was Everfree. The scope just kept expanding in each book -- which makes all of the themes of the third novel really compelling: societal structure, the question of evolution, how to control crime, how to create a utopia. Power vacuums and reinstating political systems. Idlewild & Edenborn were really small in scope and isolated to its few characters, but an actual world started ...more
Brian
Jul 03, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: biochemists, chemists, bay-staters
It's the third in a series that I've only read the last two of, but it continues a story that starts off, as all good biological thrillers do, with a doomsday bug wiping out a number of people. (I'm not giving anything away, read the dust jacket.) In this particular book, our story concludes with excitement, optimism, and a final dose of realism.

The story is neither too cynical nor too saccharine. Characters are realistic, relatable, and there are at least three good laughs, maybe more.

It also
Isa
Apr 05, 2009 Isa rated it really liked it
i really loved this whole series/trilogy. it took me a while to finally pick this last one up and once i finally did i was so happy and excited to be reading about these characters that i burned right through it! i can't say that everything turned out exactly as i hoped it would, or that i got all of the resolutions that i pined for, but i'm not sure that can count against this as a book. i was thoroughly entertained and i felt like the characters stayed true to themselves. plus some great new c ...more
Debbie
Sep 11, 2011 Debbie rated it it was ok
Recommended to Debbie by: David Stein
I think this is the weakest of the books in the trilogy, although not because of the writing. Overall, the character development and writing were well-done, but I felt that Sagan took on too many issues (things we've been talking about in the media and on campuses a lot lately) and didn't adequately deal with any of them. The pacing of the events and the suspense were fairly unbalanced, too, which made it hard to get through the second half. On the other hand, I really liked how creatively some ...more
Mander Pander
Sep 20, 2013 Mander Pander rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-books
I enjoyed the first book of the trilogy ("Idlewild") enough to purchase the remaining books, even though the subject matter is a little more cyber punk/ dystopian than what I normally read. In hindsight, this was probably a mistake.
"Idlewild" stands on its own. In writing a follow up to it, Sagan got a little fumble. This book doesn't smooth out the fumbles, but the bus does roll home to its station, and the reader is left with a feeling of "ok, I guess that's it."

Jessica
Dec 11, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok
It was OK. Not horrible, not awesome. I will say this: the first time you call something "Lovecraftian," I like the useage. When you use the same word to describe things over and over, it is lazy. write your own descriptions of stuff. Don't just keep calling everything "Lovecraftian." It's lazy. Period. Space.
Steve
Nov 24, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it
I remain fascinated by how little attention this wonderfully creative triology generates. I got a kick out the premise, the characters, and the delivery. Far better than your average dystopia or post-apocalyptic yarn, this unique three-piece set, in my opinion, deserves higher standing in the sci-fi community than it has received to date. Alas...
Brigitte
Nov 27, 2011 Brigitte rated it liked it
It was just okay. I think the trilogy became more of a sociological statement than anything else, and without trying to spoil the novel, the nod to his father (Carl Sagan) was very strange and unnecessary. There is a lot of complexity without much direction. If I were to recommend the trilogy to a friend, I would suggest reading Idlewild and leaving it at that.
Justin
Jan 05, 2014 Justin rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read, but I wasn't moved enough to feel like I should recommend it to others. I read the whole trilogy after finding the first book at my college bookstore (more than 6 years ago) so I had to read the spoilers of the previous two books to understand what was going on.

I recommend it if you've read the first two, but I wouldn't necessarily pick up the series.
Sheri
Apr 05, 2015 Sheri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I loved the ending of this trilogy! Nick Sagan is so imaginative and creative. The idea behind Idlewild, Edenborn and Everfree was so interesting. This trilogy really made me think about technology in the future, and the human nature in people. I loved the characters in this series. They were flawed, but relatable and likable.
Chris
Jan 07, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting to see Hal now as a full adult in a full community, but still himself. I wasn't sure about the strange addition of the Free, if that was left open for a later novel? Regardless, this was written just as well as the rest, and gave a good closure to the trilogy. I thought that the idea of the "patch", and how that played out, was a darkly comedic point.
Data
My second book about the post-human world this week. The characters that Sagan creates are carrying a whole load of baggage, which seems to prevent them from figuring out where to go with themselves. This is a very human thing, after all.
Adam
Jun 27, 2010 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this third book in the series more than the schizophrenic second. It still never reaches the level of the first book though. There are some interesting ideas presented on human society and evolution, but the story lacks a primary conflict and never comes to any kind of climax.
Ella
Jul 31, 2007 Ella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi/Fantasy fans
Shelves: nicksagan
I didn't realize this was the last of a trilogy when I bought the book but I don't think I missed much by not having read the first two. Having said that I'm looking forwards to reading the other two as soon as I get my hands on them.
geekboy42
Mar 27, 2016 geekboy42 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Enjoyed this final volume in the story of the post-humans that saved a troubled world from, most probably, themselves. Was expecting different ending, but pleasantly surprised. Like the previous two books, this one also kept me wanting to read just a bit more.
  • After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2)
  • Once & Future Giants: What Ice Age Extinctions Tell Us about the Fate of Earth's Largest Animals
  • Looking for the Mahdi
  • The City, Not Long After
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • Story Time (Story Time, #1)
  • Children of the Dust
  • Antares Dawn (Antares #1)
  • The Machine's Child (The Company, #7)
  • Quantum Level Zero
  • Caesar's Column: A Story of the Twentieth Century
  • Mindscan
  • After America (The Disappearance, #2)
  • Queen of Candesce (Virga, #2)
  • Yarn
  • Drifter's War (Drifter, #3)
  • After London: or, Wild England
  • Afterburn (Bio Rescue, #2)

Idlewild (3 books)
  • Idlewild (Idlewild, #1)
  • Edenborn (Idlewild, #2)