Start by marking “Warrior Lessons: An Asian American Woman's Journey into Power” as Want to Read:
Warrior Lessons: An Asian American Woman's Journey into Power

Warrior Lessons: An Asian American Woman's Journey into Power

Welcome to the world of the modern Asian American woman, where the willingness to cause "trouble" -- to stir the waters, think deeply, and go against what is expected -- is the first of many steps to self-discovery and power. Now, Phoebe Eng shatters stereotypes and offers a bold new vision for American-raised daughters like herself.
A second-generation eldest daughter, c
Published May 1st 2000 by Atria Books (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Warrior Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warrior Lessons

Aug 05, 2007 kathy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Young Asian-American Women
As a young Asian-American woman going through a quarter-life crisis, I had to address many deeply ingrained cultural beliefs that the typical American woman going through the quarter-life crisis just did not have to. This book addressed the loneliness, alienation, ambition, and relationships that any young Asian-American goes through and helped me through a really rough patch in my life.
Jul 16, 2008 azn-choi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: azn-reads
Thoughts...I have so many of them since I am doing some personal research...aka learning about myself. My current pleasure book (book I'm reading because I want to, not because I have to) is Warrior Lessons by Phoebe Eng. It's very interesting. The book is divided into four parts with 12 lessons, four lessons to each part. I wish I had words right now to express what I am learning...maybe, I do.

Lesson #1: She Casts Off Expectations....whether Asian or not, one's parents have expectations of them
Jan 20, 2016 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think my mom bought this book sometime in the early 2000's or maybe someone gave it to her. Maybe my aunt gave it to her or she bought it because my aunt was featured in parts of it!--which was a nice surprise for me to come across her name and words in writing, since she passed away in 2008. It means that she had something important enough to share that it was included in this book.

I found this book in my room along with a myriad of other Asian American themed books from university classes th
I'm not sure what exactly to say. While Pheobe did dive into the experiences of many 1st generation Asian American women and was spot on about how those experiences have caused many of us to behave a certain way, there's a lot of stuff I didn't find relevant. I'm all for introspection and ethnic reconciliation (with yourself as well as others) but the spiritual things she threw in there threw me off a bit. For example, the Feng Shui idea is not necessary for me. I don't think it rly gives someon ...more
Fiona Au
Jun 23, 2013 Fiona Au rated it did not like it
Thought the book was poorly organized, all over the place. Very assuming that all ancestors and parents are loving and had something to offer. Halfway through the book, I think she just threw facts and statistics out the window and started writing in fantasy land.

Best thing you can derive out of this book is that its ok to seek therapy to break away from the Asian tradition choke hold even though your Asian family will see it as you bringing shame and dishonor to the family.
Jul 04, 2009 Mina rated it it was amazing
my grandmother actually gave me this book, twice- once on christmas and once on my birthday. one copy i regret giving to a friend who i thought was in need, who still has held it hostage 'til this day. regardless, this book is a must read for all asian american women.
Brenda Kim
Jun 26, 2012 Brenda Kim rated it it was ok
There are definitely other Asian-American writers who have more successfully empowered and given a voice to Asian-Americans. This one was just too academic for my taste and became dull very quickly.
Oct 24, 2007 Lila rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Asian Females
How to find my Asian identity in America.
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Shauna rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Marcella rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Les Read
Les Read rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Amy Zhao
Amy Zhao rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
aem marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Diana marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
David Kent
David Kent marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Amanda M
Amanda M marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Victoria Tran
Victoria Tran marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Emma Tomlinson
Emma Tomlinson marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Ria marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Bobkirat Kaur
Bobkirat Kaur marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Christina Mai
Christina Mai marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Katie Neteler
Katie Neteler rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Dedra rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
jaye marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015