Start by marking “Warrior Lessons: An Asian American Woman's Journey into Power” as Want to Read:
Warrior Lessons: An Asian American Woman's Journey into Power

Warrior Lessons: An Asian American Woman's Journey into Power

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Welcome to the world of the modern Asian American woman, where the willingness to cause "trouble" -- to stir the waters, think deeply, and go against what is expected -- is the first of many steps to self-discovery and power. Now, Phoebe Eng shatters stereotypes and offers a bold new vision for American-raised daughters like herself.
A second-generation eldest daughter, c
Published May 1st 2000 by Atria Books (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Warrior Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warrior Lessons

azn-choi
Thoughts...I have so many of them since I am doing some personal research...aka learning about myself. My current pleasure book (book I'm reading because I want to, not because I have to) is Warrior Lessons by Phoebe Eng. It's very interesting. The book is divided into four parts with 12 lessons, four lessons to each part. I wish I had words right now to express what I am learning...maybe, I do.

Lesson #1: She Casts Off Expectations....whether Asian or not, one's parents have expectations of them
kathy
Aug 05, 2007 kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Young Asian-American Women
As a young Asian-American woman going through a quarter-life crisis, I had to address many deeply ingrained cultural beliefs that the typical American woman going through the quarter-life crisis just did not have to. This book addressed the loneliness, alienation, ambition, and relationships that any young Asian-American goes through and helped me through a really rough patch in my life.
Cherrie
I'm not sure what exactly to say. While Pheobe did dive into the experiences of many 1st generation Asian American women and was spot on about how those experiences have caused many of us to behave a certain way, there's a lot of stuff I didn't find relevant. I'm all for introspection and ethnic reconciliation (with yourself as well as others) but the spiritual things she threw in there threw me off a bit. For example, the Feng Shui idea is not necessary for me. I don't think it rly gives someon ...more
Fiona Au
Thought the book was poorly organized, all over the place. Very assuming that all ancestors and parents are loving and had something to offer. Halfway through the book, I think she just threw facts and statistics out the window and started writing in fantasy land.

Best thing you can derive out of this book is that its ok to seek therapy to break away from the Asian tradition choke hold even though your Asian family will see it as you bringing shame and dishonor to the family.
Mina
my grandmother actually gave me this book, twice- once on christmas and once on my birthday. one copy i regret giving to a friend who i thought was in need, who still has held it hostage 'til this day. regardless, this book is a must read for all asian american women.
Brenda Kim
There are definitely other Asian-American writers who have more successfully empowered and given a voice to Asian-Americans. This one was just too academic for my taste and became dull very quickly.
Lila
Oct 24, 2007 Lila rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Asian Females
How to find my Asian identity in America.
Evangeline
Evangeline is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
Cori
Cori marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Ttt688
Ttt688 marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Mister Rabdargad
Mister Rabdargad marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Eri Cho
Eri Cho marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Alice
Alice added it
Jun 28, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Sue
Sue added it
Jan 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Yell-Oh Girls!: Emerging Voices Explore Culture, Identity, and Growing Up Asian American