Start by marking “The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop

The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This book is two novels in one; Screwtop by Vonda N. McIntyre and The Girl Who Was Plugged in by James Tiptree Jr.
Paperback, Double 7, 140 pages
Published March 11th 1989 by Tor Books (first published March 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop

Lit Bug
Sep 13, 2013 Lit Bug rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of thoughtful SF

It's a pity I cannot rate it higher than the maximum allowed - it is astonishing that Tiptree, in this short story achieves so much. I liken her to Vonnegut, who could pull your guts out in a matter of minutes with stories that take usually barely half-an-hour to read.

The present story is rich in terms of ideas - it anticipates cyberpunk, rather, feminist cyberpunk - the process of jacking in, and taking up the issues of representing women's bodies in a genre that was indifferent to anyone ap
Dobby's Sock
"The Girl Who Was Plugged In" is so relevant today in our days of facebook, google, youtube advertising.

I'm a huge Don Delillo fan, but this story blows him out of the water.
(This review is just for The Girl Who Was Plugged In, since I'm going to give a miss to the trashy looking space-prison item published in the other half of this edition.)

The Girl Who Was Plugged In is one of the Tiptree novellas I kept hearing referenced as a classic, and I see why, especially given when it was published. Celebrity and consumerism and bodies (and women's bodies!) and corporations and the self, in a funky scifi package.

The writing was sometimes so stylized it was frustratingly ha
Luke Burrage
The Girl Who Was Plugged In: Read to discuss on the SFFaudio podcast. It's okay, but really not my kind of thing. See my review of Software and Wetware.
This is mostly about The Girl Who Was Plugged In--in many ways, it's horrifying. But it's because of that that it's so heartbreaking. I have no hesitation in declaring it one of the greater cyberpunk tales ever written; it has such a vivid voice and thoughtful questions about the self, especially with the relationship between the body and the mind. I love it when stories like these bring up these concerns and explore what they might mean to the characters without giving us answers. It feels much ...more
Sam Cooper
"plugged in" is an incredibly prescient and moving.
2 stars for Screwtop: it is an ordinary prison drama that happens to take place on an alien world.
3 stars for the Tiptree story: She presages 'cyberpunk' with a 'cyberjazz' style that uses an unnamed narrator who scats & bebops around this ugly-duckling story until he/she settles into a groove during the last third.
Eine wirkliche sehr aufschlussreiche short-story, welche Bezüge zwischen Feminismus und Science Fiction herstellt.
Die Vorstellungen und Erwartungen die an einen weiblichen Körper gestellt werden, sind auf das Schärfste hier durch eine "männliche" Technologie kritisiert. Für eine ausführliche Kritik ist zu empfehlen.
Jedoch ist dabei ein Punkt noch nicht besprochen: Neben der Körperlichkeit wird ebenso die erwartete geistige Haltung von Frauen thematisier
Dmitry Verkhoturov
Рассказ о мире будущего, где запрещена реклама, и вместо рекламы "боги телевидения" просто покупают и носят те вещи, за которые им приплачивают. Чувствуете острую сатиру на современное общество? А она есть.
Речь в рассказе идёт о девочке, которую, как вы догадались, подключили — дали возможность удалённо управлять телом юного ангела в обмен на то, что она в телевизоре будущего (называется он по-другому, но на самом деле это острая сатира на телевизор) на виду у миллионов пользуется теми вещами, к
Lady Entropy
((This is for Triptree only))

Oh, this was delicious delicious cyberpunk old school at its best. I devoured it under an hour (even if it is a long novella) and god, I wish I could keep reading. I will definitely see if Triptree has more books, because jesus, that had all the beauty and pain of a razorblade kiss. It made me hope, it made me smile, it made me laugh and cry and cringe.

While it was mostly predictable, it was so in a good way: the constant struggle of humanity for love, and the lies w
Tiptree is my jam.
Raymon Granillo
Very short and very powerful. I've always loved Ms Sheldon's creative imagination. It is sad that there are so few of her books out in circulation today.
3 из 5. Кажется, дело в том, что с 70-х повесть безнадежно устарела и эта тема уже миллион раз заезжена.
Just for The Girl Who Was Plugged In
I only read "The Girl Who Was Plugged In" for a Science Fiction Class, and if I'm honest, this is one of the strangest short stories I have ever read. The whole first half was confusing to me and in addition to that, I found it rather boring. By the end it got a little intense, which made it bearable to make it through the end, but I feel as if I'm more lost after reading it, than I was while reading it. I'm not even going to attempt rereading it. The overall idea was interesting, but the plot m ...more
I only read The Girl Who Was Plugged In. I took an introductory science fiction class and we read a lot of short stories and excerpts. This wasn't bad but it wasn't my favorite.
Esmeralda Rupp-Spangle
Didn't bother reading Screwtop- but The Girl Who Was Plugged in is one of my all time favorite science fiction novella of all time.
Kevin marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Liarnie Delos reyes
Liarnie Delos reyes marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Janani marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Ana marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Meeka marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Patrick Pike
Patrick Pike marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Tamika marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Barbara marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Ariel Adelstein
Ariel Adelstein marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Karly-Lynne marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Jess marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
EDCMOOC: The Girl Who Was Plugged In - Chat on Sat 2nd August (3rd for NZ) 9 10 Aug 02, 2014 01:12PM
  • Trouble and Her Friends
  • The Glass Hammer
  • Frontera
  • Empire Star
  • The Last Starship from Earth
  • The Whole Man
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)
  • Schismatrix
  • The Left Hand of the Electron
  • Virtual Girl
  • A Dream of Wessex
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
  • Synners
  • Hello Summer, Goodbye
  • Mississippi Blues (Nanotech, #2)
  • Metrophage
  • Report from Planet Midnight
  • Daughters of Earth: Feminist Science Fiction in the Twentieth Century
"James Tiptree, Jr." was born Alice Bradley in Chicago in 1915. Her mother was the writer Mary Hastings Bradley; her father, Herbert, was a lawyer and explorer. Throughout her childhood she travelled with her parents, mostly to Africa, but also to India and Southeast Asia. Her early work was as an artist and art critic. During World War II she enlisted in the Army and became the first American fem ...more
More about James Tiptree Jr....

“Well, what brand of water do you drink?"
"Just what was in the faucet, sir," says Delphi humbly. "I--I did try to boil it--"
"Good God.”
“With your hand controlling all the input and your eye reading all the response you can make them a god . . . and somebody'll do the same for you.” 0 likes