Start by marking “The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop

The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This book is two novels in one; Screwtop by Vonda N. McIntyre and The Girl Who Was Plugged in by James Tiptree Jr.
Paperback, Double 7, 140 pages
Published March 11th 1989 by Tor Books (first published March 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop

Lit Bug
Sep 13, 2013 Lit Bug rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of thoughtful SF
6/5

It's a pity I cannot rate it higher than the maximum allowed - it is astonishing that Tiptree, in this short story achieves so much. I liken her to Vonnegut, who could pull your guts out in a matter of minutes with stories that take usually barely half-an-hour to read.

The present story is rich in terms of ideas - it anticipates cyberpunk, rather, feminist cyberpunk - the process of jacking in, and taking up the issues of representing women's bodies in a genre that was indifferent to anyone ap
Ubiqua
Apr 07, 2016 Ubiqua rated it really liked it
Novella vincitrice del premio Hugo nel 1974, La ragazza connessa parla di un’entità organica, Delphi, il cui cervello è contenuto all’esterno del corpo; per la precisione, dentro al corpo mostruoso della giovane P. Burke. Delphi è come un Golem, è un corpo coltivato da una multinazionale, che si considera proprietaria di Delphi. Quando è Delphi, P. Burke non sa di non esserlo davvero; e, in effetti, lo è.

La vicenda affronta varie questioni legate all’identità, alla coscienza e alla percezione, m
Dobby's Sock
Feb 23, 2014 Dobby's Sock rated it it was amazing
"The Girl Who Was Plugged In" is so relevant today in our days of facebook, google, youtube advertising.

I'm a huge Don Delillo fan, but this story blows him out of the water.
martha
Jul 26, 2012 martha rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre, 2012
(This review is just for The Girl Who Was Plugged In, since I'm going to give a miss to the trashy looking space-prison item published in the other half of this edition.)

The Girl Who Was Plugged In is one of the Tiptree novellas I kept hearing referenced as a classic, and I see why, especially given when it was published. Celebrity and consumerism and bodies (and women's bodies!) and corporations and the self, in a funky scifi package.

The writing was sometimes so stylized it was frustratingly ha
Luke Burrage
Aug 30, 2014 Luke Burrage rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, sffaudio
The Girl Who Was Plugged In: Read to discuss on the SFFaudio podcast. It's okay, but really not my kind of thing. See my review of Software and Wetware.
Rebeca
Apr 29, 2015 Rebeca rated it really liked it
This is mostly about The Girl Who Was Plugged In--in many ways, it's horrifying. But it's because of that that it's so heartbreaking. I have no hesitation in declaring it one of the greater cyberpunk tales ever written; it has such a vivid voice and thoughtful questions about the self, especially with the relationship between the body and the mind. I love it when stories like these bring up these concerns and explore what they might mean to the characters without giving us answers. It feels much ...more
Sam Cooper
Mar 06, 2015 Sam Cooper rated it really liked it
"plugged in" is an incredibly prescient and moving.
Jason
Dec 01, 2011 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
2 stars for Screwtop: it is an ordinary prison drama that happens to take place on an alien world.
3 stars for the Tiptree story: She presages 'cyberpunk' with a 'cyberjazz' style that uses an unnamed narrator who scats & bebops around this ugly-duckling story until he/she settles into a groove during the last third.
Naushika
Oct 11, 2015 Naushika rated it it was amazing
Eine wirkliche sehr aufschlussreiche short-story, welche Bezüge zwischen Feminismus und Science Fiction herstellt.
Die Vorstellungen und Erwartungen die an einen weiblichen Körper gestellt werden, sind auf das Schärfste hier durch eine "männliche" Technologie kritisiert. Für eine ausführliche Kritik ist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gir... zu empfehlen.
Jedoch ist dabei ein Punkt noch nicht besprochen: Neben der Körperlichkeit wird ebenso die erwartete geistige Haltung von Frauen thematisier
Dmitry Verkhoturov
May 05, 2015 Dmitry Verkhoturov rated it liked it
Рассказ о мире будущего, где запрещена реклама, и вместо рекламы "боги телевидения" просто покупают и носят те вещи, за которые им приплачивают. Чувствуете острую сатиру на современное общество? А она есть.
Речь в рассказе идёт о девочке, которую, как вы догадались, подключили — дали возможность удалённо управлять телом юного ангела в обмен на то, что она в телевизоре будущего (называется он по-другому, но на самом деле это острая сатира на телевизор) на виду у миллионов пользуется теми вещами, к
Lady Entropy
Jul 20, 2015 Lady Entropy rated it it was amazing
((This is for Triptree only))

Oh, this was delicious delicious cyberpunk old school at its best. I devoured it under an hour (even if it is a long novella) and god, I wish I could keep reading. I will definitely see if Triptree has more books, because jesus, that had all the beauty and pain of a razorblade kiss. It made me hope, it made me smile, it made me laugh and cry and cringe.

While it was mostly predictable, it was so in a good way: the constant struggle of humanity for love, and the lies w
Carrie
Jun 14, 2013 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Tiptree is my jam.
Annie
May 21, 2016 Annie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, wishlist
[Review, like many others', is just for The Girl Who Was Plugged In]

It’s not often a book makes me feel like this. My mind is buzzing. Alice-Sheldon-alias-James-Tiptree-Jr is a genius. GENIUS.

I mean, this story and me? It’s pretty much dangling candy in front of a baby. 70s uberfeminist science fiction with implicit analysis of consumerism AND body/gender politics? God, I am so in, girl.

It’s about a now-familiar (thanks to films like Avatar, Surrogate, etc.) concept: a human who uses another b
Peter Millane
Dec 30, 2015 Peter Millane rated it really liked it
This is only for "The girl who was plugged in"

Considering how long ago this was written it still has so much relevance to our world today. Recommended for anyone who is interested in sci fi from yesteryear.

Raymon Granillo
Apr 14, 2014 Raymon Granillo rated it it was amazing
Very short and very powerful. I've always loved Ms Sheldon's creative imagination. It is sad that there are so few of her books out in circulation today.
Roman
Mar 31, 2014 Roman rated it liked it
3 из 5. Кажется, дело в том, что с 70-х повесть безнадежно устарела и эта тема уже миллион раз заезжена.
Emma Kath
Jan 07, 2015 Emma Kath rated it it was amazing
Just for The Girl Who Was Plugged In
Jessica
Sep 27, 2013 Jessica rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-online
I only read "The Girl Who Was Plugged In" for a Science Fiction Class, and if I'm honest, this is one of the strangest short stories I have ever read. The whole first half was confusing to me and in addition to that, I found it rather boring. By the end it got a little intense, which made it bearable to make it through the end, but I feel as if I'm more lost after reading it, than I was while reading it. I'm not even going to attempt rereading it. The overall idea was interesting, but the plot m ...more
Esmeralda Rupp-Spangle
Dec 31, 2008 Esmeralda Rupp-Spangle rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Didn't bother reading Screwtop- but The Girl Who Was Plugged in is one of my all time favorite science fiction novella of all time.
Barbara Holford
Barbara Holford marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Gen
Gen marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Ashveen
Ashveen marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Alexis
Alexis rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Inês Carvalho
Inês Carvalho marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Cakeeater
Cakeeater marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Snoopy CK
Snoopy CK marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
nah
nah marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
EDCMOOC: The Girl Who Was Plugged In - Chat on Sat 2nd August (3rd for NZ) 9 10 Aug 02, 2014 01:12PM
  • Trouble and Her Friends
  • Empire Star
  • The Whole Man
  • Schismatrix
  • Metrophage
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
  • Synners
  • A Dream of Wessex
  • Nekropolis
  • A Meeting With Medusa/Green Mars (Special Double Release)
  • Hello Summer, Goodbye
  • Born with the Dead
"James Tiptree, Jr." was born Alice Bradley in Chicago in 1915. Her mother was the writer Mary Hastings Bradley; her father, Herbert, was a lawyer and explorer. Throughout her childhood she travelled with her parents, mostly to Africa, but also to India and Southeast Asia. Her early work was as an artist and art critic. During World War II she enlisted in the Army and became the first American fem ...more
More about James Tiptree Jr....

“Well, what brand of water do you drink?"
"Just what was in the faucet, sir," says Delphi humbly. "I--I did try to boil it--"
"Good God.”
0 likes
“With your hand controlling all the input and your eye reading all the response you can make them a god . . . and somebody'll do the same for you.” 0 likes