Start by marking “Book Smart: Your Essential Reading List for Becoming a Literary Genius in 365 Days” as Want to Read:

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Jane Mallison presents a series of tips to help readers become better acquainted with literature and literary figures. This text also features 'Book Smart Recommended Reading', sidebars that lead readers to similar books and authors.
Published October 19th 2007 by McGraw-Hill (first published October 4th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Book Smart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book Smart

Bonnie
Jul 25, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, non-fiction
This is nothing more than a bound copy of any 1001/BBC Book List you can find on the internet, free. If you're still interested, definitely pick this up from your library.

'...each book comes alive with historical notes, highlights on key themes and characters, and advice on how to approach reading.'

Yeah, not exactly. The book contains nothing more than glorified blurbs and personal opinions of the books by the author. Advice on how to approach reading isn't done on books individually but instead
Annie
Mar 06, 2009 Annie rated it really liked it
Book Smart: Your Essential Reading List for Becoming a Literary Genius in 365 Days. How could I resist that title? Author Jane Mallison categorizes 120 books into the 12 months of the year, each with its own theme, and 10 books in each month. January is “Because They Are There: Towering Works to Read in Translation” and includes such old standards as Don Quixote, Dante’s Inferno, Homer’s The Odyssey, etc.

Other months include: “Growing Up: The Pains and the Pleasures” which includes some of my f
Kathleen
Feb 17, 2015 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of things that annoy me about this book.

First of all, what is the deal with that subtitle: "Your Essential Reading List for Becoming a Literary Genius in 365 days"? After reading the book, I know it's quite tongue-in-cheek, but at first glance it sounded just a little overreaching and odd.

Second, Jane Mallison divides her recommended books (very) loosely by theme, and it's hard to say whether that was some kind of gimmick she needed to use to sell the book or just some half-baked
Jennifer Daniel
Why I think I need more titles to add to my ponderous list of TBR is beyond me bu tI can't help but pick up books like this. I think I love a list almost as much as I love reading. I did glean a few titles from the author's selection but it was mostly the same old tired junk I've either read and been completely unimpressed - The Great Gatsby is not great and I wish everyone would realize that.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
May 21, 2015 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Ah, what to read, what to read? I'm always in search of books suggesting good books to read, so I was happy to see this book.

Author Jane Mallison proposes a list of ten books a month, with each month having a common theme. Themes include award winners, the human condition, biographies.

I was encouraged to think Mallison might be a kindred reader by noting that many of her recommended reads are books I've already read and loved, such as A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, In Cold Blood, Animal Farm, and Fa
Dani
Jan 20, 2009 Dani rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I flipped through this book and sent it back to the library once I realized that it wasn't what I expected. It's my fault for not reading the subtitle more carefully :-). I thought this was a study guide that would help me understand the classics that I would be reading throughout the year. It is really just a list of suggestions and story synopses like a smaller version of "1001 Books to Read Before You Die".
Jane Dugger
Apr 16, 2013 Jane Dugger rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
This is a good book for the less motivated reader. Or if you are at a loss of what to read next. Or you want to round out your educated reading list.

Great quote!

There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.
-Joseph Brodsky
Melinda
Jun 21, 2010 Melinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Interesting thematic grouping of literary (mostly) fiction. I love reading books about books, and found some new titles to add to my lifetime reading list. Worth a look-see even if you're only browsing.
Julie - Book Hooked Blog
Jul 22, 2009 Julie - Book Hooked Blog rated it it was amazing
I love books about books, what can I say?
Shonna Froebel
Nov 17, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it
Besides being an avid reader, the author here was the department head of English at New York's Trinity School for more than two decades. Her list is set up by month. Each month has a theme and 10 books that fit that theme. She suggests you read the information she provides about the books and pick one to read that month (not too onerous) or pick a topic that interests you and read all ten (leaving two extra from other topics). The books are thoughtfully chosen and cover both classics and more re ...more
Linda Lipko
Aug 02, 2015 Linda Lipko rated it really liked it
What a great read! This is, as the title notes 365 book suggestions. They are noted by categories such as

Towerring Wooks to Read in Translation which contains Beowulf, The Canterbury Tales and Oedpus Rex and others
Some Notable Bioographies and list The Path of Poser The Years of Lyndon Johnson and The Peabody Sisters and others
Young Men on a Quest which contains works such as Walden and The Great Gatsby
Strong Women, Admirably So and Otherwise here the reader fiinds Jane Eyre, the Handmaid's Tal
Debnance
Jan 21, 2008 Debnance rated it it was amazing
Ah, what to read, what to read? I’m always in search of books suggesting good books to read, so I was happy to see this book.

I was encouraged to think Mallison might be a kindred reader by noting that many of her recommended reads are books I’ve already read and loved, such as A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, In Cold Blood, Animal Farm, and Fam
Deb Cutler
This book has prompted me to really think about what books I would include in a list of this nature and what books my friends would add. I am also starting a list of these books.
Joanna
Jan 15, 2009 Joanna rated it liked it
Shelves: books-on-books
There are some really great works cited in this book, and it was nice to revisit them in a quiet and gentle way. Many I feel I ought to reread. There are also some works that I really have no interest in reading, which makes me feel vaguely guilty and under-appreciative. In any case, I skimmed through most all of this and added a bunch of "read" books from my college days (yay!) and a handful of "to read" books as well.
Lorna
Jan 07, 2014 Lorna rated it liked it
I do like books about books. I doubt I'll ever be a literary genius though because I probably won't read many of the books listed in this book. I did enjoy the many thoughts concerning reading though, such as: "We read to know that we are not alone." - C.S. Lewis
Krob
May 03, 2008 Krob rated it liked it
I just like books about books, and this is a good one with suggested titles for every month of the year. I have gotten a few good suggestions of books to read that I never would have picked out on my own.
LynnDee (The Library Lush)
It definitely gave me more books to add to my "to-read" list, but with some of the synopses of the books, she kind of gave away the endings, which I didn't like.
Cheryl
Oct 25, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I am currently using this as a guide to books I might like to read. ;-)
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Lisaf
Lisaf marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Aquaboy
Aquaboy is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Byron Despres-Berry
Byron Despres-Berry marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Perel
Perel marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Ahmed Ajlan
Ahmed Ajlan marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
  • 500 Great Books By Women
  • Read This Next: 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read
  • 1001 Books for Every Mood
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • Who the Hell Is Pansy O'Hara?: The Fascinating Stories Behind 50 of the World's Best-Loved Books
  • Classics for Pleasure
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest
  • 501 Must-Read Books
  • The New Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classic Guide to World Literature, Revised and Expanded
  • The Top Ten: Writers Pick Their Favorite Books
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures
  • The Most Beautiful Libraries in the World
  • Great Books for Every Book Lover: 2002 Great Reading Suggestions for the Discriminating Bibliophile
  • Shelf Life: Romance, Mystery, Drama, and Other Page-Turning Adventures from a Year in a Book store
  • Living With Books
  • Novel Destinations: Literary Landmarks From Jane Austen's Bath to Ernest Hemingway's Key West
  • Bizarre Books