Start by marking “The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin” as Want to Read:
The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin

The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A fat little, round little, yellow little pumpkin dreams of growing up to be fierce and frightening, just like the scarecrow in the field. Then one day in autumn, he unexpectedly gets the chance for his dream to come true, and the fierce yellow pumpkin becomes terrific and terrible! An enchanting tale from the author of Goodnight Moon.
Published August 1st 2006 by HarperCollins (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzRoom on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Best Halloween Picture Books
291st out of 341 books — 352 voters
Pumpkin Soup by Helen CooperPumpkin, Pumpkin by Jeanne TitheringtonHow Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? by Margaret McNamaraPumpkin Jack by Will HubbellToo Many Pumpkins by Linda White
Picture Books About Pumpkins
65th out of 102 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann Keller
This is a charming little story, accented by marvelous colorful drawings. What child wouldn't love to read this book?
2.5 stars I had a kid the other day tell me "THAT is NOT a pumpkin...that is a JACK-O-LANTERN" So, a nice story with nice pictures but, there was no mention of the pumpkin being transformed into a Pumpkin...okay.. now you know!
Great Halloween book for preschool or toddler storytimes (without actually using the word Halloween). It's simple enough for the young ones and scary enough for the older ones.
I grabbed this book because I love Goodnight Moon. This book doesn't have near the magic of that book though. It is a cute story, but nothing that really stands out.
My absolute favorite Halloween book. The story of a little pumpkin who wanted to be so fierce - and got his wish.
This new Margaret Wise Brown picture book, discovered and published years after we thought that all of her writing had already been popularly consumed, creates a good atmosphere of Halloween feeling and tells the story the way that Margaret Wise Brown always did: the way that young readers wanted it to be. We identify with the pumpkin as it grows, wanting big things for its own future and looking forward to those things with happy expectation; when these hopes eventually see their fruition, it ...more
I really liked it. ...more
A sweet story of a little pumpkin who dreams of being as frightening as a scarecrow. Good for autumn and Halloween storytimes.
The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin dreams of scaring little field mice as the scarecrow does. The pumpkin grows until three children come along and cut him from the vine. They give him two eyes, a nose shaped like a witch's hat, and zigzag teeth. He's fierce!...and he scares away those three little mice.

Used for "Pumpkins, Pumpkins Everywhere" Storytime-October, 2010.

Ashley Allen
This is also a great book to read before halloween. I would use it in the 3rd or 4th grade to talk about all the adjectives throughout the book. I would let the students write down any adjectives and then we would list all the ones said throughout the book.
We picked this book up from the library for a Halloween read. It was a good book to read aloud and would be great for kids when they are learning to describe things. We read it several times before returning it.
This is a great Halloween book about a pumpkin who wants to be fierce and ends up as a jack-o-lantern. Written by the author of Goodnight Moon and has the same charm only spookier!
Ages 3 and up.
A young pumpkin sits in a field a sees the seasons change and thinks about how he wants to be big and scary. Eventually some children come along and help him fulfill his dream on Halloween night.
Cute little story about a pumpkin who dreams of becoming fierce and with the carving of some children, he actually does! Great Fall, Halloween story to share with younger kids.
Oct 07, 2012 Kelsey added it
Margaret Wise Brown does it again. A fabulously creative book that will draw in children. This book is relatable yet creative and will intrigue young readers.
Adrianne Rosal
The students at Dover Elementary really enjoyed this story. Also they enjoyed interacting with Boo Woo!!!! Good time today.!
A great book for October. It is written by the same author as Goodnight Moon and is not scary.
Laura Madsen
Nice read-aloud text (like all of Margaret Wise Brown's picture books).
very cute book. my 5 year old loves it. great this time of year.
It's not "Goodnight, Moon," but it paints a nice picture of the season.
Jenni Rollins
This is by the same author as "Goodnight Moon" and it's a fun read.
"The fat little, round little, orange little pumpkin."
halloween - story of a pumpkin growing and being carved
The story was OK, but the illustrations were great.
Great illustrations. Strange little story.
Corey Klauder
Corey Klauder marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • Too Many Pumpkins
  • Pumpkin Heads
  • Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin
  • Scary, Scary Halloween
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?
  • The Bumpy Little Pumpkin
  • Halloween Mice!
  • Santa Duck
  • The Night Before Halloween
  • Ghosts in the House!
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...