Start by marking “Right Ho, Jeeves” as Want to Read:
Right Ho, Jeeves

Read Book* *Different edition

Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  18,527 Ratings  ·  1,141 Reviews
Mayhem has broken out at Brinkley Court and there would seem to be a desperate need for Jeeves. But Bertie is fed up with the assumption that he is merely an addendum to his personal attendant. There are more brains in the Wooster household than just Jeeves, you knowl Stand back--Bertram Wooster is on the case.
Audio CD
Published May 1st 2006 by BBC Audiobooks (first published October 5th 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Right Ho, Jeeves, please sign up.

Vigil Please don't go out of your way to read in chronological order; it's not only not necessary at all, but if you read the wrong thing first you might…morePlease don't go out of your way to read in chronological order; it's not only not necessary at all, but if you read the wrong thing first you might never get around to trying P.G. Wodehouse again (his wittiness and overall quality were rather inconsistent) and that would be a tragedy. This is a great book and a great place to start. (less)

Bill  Kerwin

This is almost as funny as The Code of the Woosters, which is saying a lot, since Code is the funniest book ever written by anybody anywhere. The plot isn't important: as usual, misunderstandings and peevishness disrupt the general mood of an old English country house, lovers are parted and social bonds are threatened, but by the end--thanks to the inimitable Jeeves-- tranquility is restored, couples are reunited, and--most important of all--aunts are placated.

The justly famous climax where a t
Algernon
Aug 25, 2015 Algernon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

Who needs expensive Freudian psychiatrists when you can have this:

duckie

The discovery of some toy duck in the soap dish, presumably the property of some former juvenile visitor, contributed not a little to this new and happier frame of mind. What with one thing and another, I hadn't played with toy ducks in my bath for years, and I found the novel experience most invigorating. For the benefit of those interested, I may mention that if you shove the thing under the surface with the sponge and then let
Jason Koivu
Nov 23, 2008 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, wodehouses, humor
Bertie Wooster takes the reins from his gentleman's gentleman Jeeves, who had everything well enough in hand, and soon everything's gone pear-shaped, if that's the expression I'm looking for.

Bertie's well-intentioned schemings upset his aunt and uncle's brilliant French chef, who gives notice, which upsets everyone's gastric juices! Meanwhile his meddling upon a friend's behalf almost divorces Bertie himself from his beloved bachelorhood, egads!

When one comes to the realization that they are a
Dan Schwent
Feb 07, 2008 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse, 2012
The 2012 re-read
Gussie Fink-Nottle is in love with Madeline Bassett but can't seem to talk to her. Madeline Bassett is in love with Gussie Fink-Nottle but thinks Bertie Wooster wants to marry her. Bertie's cousin Angela was engaged to Tuppy Glossop but they had a bust-up over whether or not Angela saw a shark. Can Jeeves put them all back together? He might have been able to, had he and Bertie not had a falling out over Bertie's white mess jacket...

First off, this review will hardly be unbiased
Apatt
Aug 30, 2011 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“This dashed difficult problem of where to begin it. It's a thing you don't want to go wrong over, because one false step and you're sunk. I mean, if you fool about too long at the start, trying to establish atmosphere, as they call it, and all that sort of rot, you fail to grip and the customers walk out on you.”

Bertie Wooster, in spite of being a silly ass, has a way with words. His first person narrative is a joy to read, it does help that he has P.G. Wodehouse to write on his behalf. He is r
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 16, 2011 Nandakishore Varma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, wodehouse
In 2012, I was elected the Vice President of our college alumni association here in the UAE. I was to take charge at our annual get-together: at the same event, I presented an ottamthullal, a satirical dance-drama which was a runaway hit. What with all the celebratory euphoria, I imbibed a little too much of the happy juice in the parking lot outside the venue (drinks were not allowed in the hall) and before I knew it, I was pickled to the gills.

You can see me with a beatific smile as I took the
Nikki Nielsen
Jan 26, 2009 Nikki Nielsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**WOOSTERS' GUIDE**
(as opposed to boring old Webster's guide)

*Woosters are men of tact, and have a nice sense of host obligations.

*Even when displaying the iron hand, Woosters like to keep the thing fairly matey.

*When woosters put their hand to the plough, they do not readily sheath the sword.

*Woosters are fair minded, and make allowances for men parading through London all night in scarlet tights. (my favorite)

*Woosters like to have their story ready.

*A Woosters' word is his bond.

*Woosters ar
Diane
Aug 23, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delight! Truth be told, Wodehouse saved me during a long and boring meeting yesterday. I was stuck in the auditorium for hours, but luckily I had "Right Ho, Jeeves," downloaded on iBooks. Soon I was smiling and trying not to giggle too loudly.

In Right Ho, Bertie Wooster manages to bungle things severely with two different couples who are staying at his aunt's house, and even accidentally gets engaged to a silly girl who talks of fairies and stars: "I don't want to wrong anybody, so I
Frederick
Jun 11, 2007 Frederick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those wishing to read funny books.
Shelves: humor, novels, wodehouse
Those starting to read P. G. Wodehouse should start with this novel, which is sometimes called BRINKLEY MANOR. It is the immediate predecessor to Wodehouse's most perfect novel, THE CODE OF THE WOOSTERS.
He wrote this in his mid-fifties. It was something like his fortieth novel. He literally wrote about seventy novels, all of them extremely light, the vast majority of them humorous. (His very early novels were about cricket-players at prep-school.) RIGHT-HO, JEEVES features P. G. Wodehouse's mos
Jessica
Dec 22, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, own, new-favorites
Every line was perfection. I kept laughing out loud and looking for someone to read bits too, but alas, there was no one who appreciates this the way I do at hand. The real tragedy, though, is realizing that I will never have friends with awesome names like Tuppy Glossop, Pongo Twistleton, and Gussie Fink-Nottle!
Henry Avila
Oct 18, 2012 Henry Avila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another adventure with Jeeves,the butler, and his employer Bertram (Bertie) Wooster,the master.But who is really in charge? And for that matter the smartest? It's very apparent from the beginning and the butler did it.But this isn't a murder mystery.And no one dies here ,just their dignity, are sacrificed.When Bertie comes back to his London place, from Cannes,France,after a vacation of two months(his whole life is a vacation).His Aunt Dahlia insists he come to her country house,Brinkley Court, ...more
F.R.
Mar 26, 2012 F.R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So off we go to Brinkley Court for more high japes and adventures. Along the way hearts will be sundered, friendships forged in childhood will be momentarily broken and mentally negligible young men will make complete fools out of themselves. If you’re already aware of the books but can’t quite determine which one this is (after all, they do share very similar plots), then this is the episode with Gussie Fink-Nottle dressed as the devil and Bertie making an eighteen mile round trip on an old bic ...more
Jen
May 28, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: my entire family
Oh, Bertie. Oh, Tuppy. And oh, oh, Gussie. An engagement to the more delicately nurtured of the species can go a bit rummy under certain circs. Not to mention prize-giving at that bally Market Snodsbury Grammar School. Bertie does his best to save the day, based on his knowing "the psychology of the individual", but as usual his schemes only serve to make chaps go to fires from frying pans. Thank goodness for Jeeves!
Kedar
Aug 29, 2011 Kedar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Stimulated by the juice, I believe, men have even been known to ride alligators."

With lines like these, it is definitely not difficult to love a Wodehouse book. Right Ho, Jeeves sits right there amongst the best of Wodehouse that includes almost all of his books. :)

Right Ho, Jeeves goes on to narrate a story about the suggestively piscine Gussie Fink-Nottle (or as Aunt Dahlia prefers to call him eventually Spink-Bottle, and you will know why!) and his problematic betrothal to Madeline Bassett a
Spencer Quinn
Mar 19, 2017 Spencer Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars aren't enough for a book that contains Gussie Fink-Nottle's speech at the Market Snodsbury Grammar School. Any writer who ventures into comedy should read some Wodehouse.
Dan Maude
Feb 21, 2017 Dan Maude rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the (many) fine Jeeves and Wooster novels from between the two WWs. Certainly takes one away from the newspaper headlines. Numerous chuckles, occasional guffaws. Right ho, indeed.
Manab
Jul 01, 2016 Manab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
এ কী একখান বই কিনলাম, সারা শরীর অকষত, খালি পরথম পাতা নাই। কিছু একটা যে নাই, সেটাও আমি বুঝি নাই পরথমে, বিশ পাতা পরে গিয়ে বুঝেছি।

তামাম মুলূকের সবাই জানেন, উডহাউজ হাসাইতে পারে, পদে পদে, পদানুকরমে। সে কী এক-একখান বাকযি। এই পাতা ছেড়ে ঐ পাতা উদধৃত করে কার সাধয!
আমার বযকতিগতভাবে বলযানডিংসের কাহিনীগুলি বেশি ভাললাগে। সে যাই হোক, চরিতরের দোষে উসটার আর জীভসই সেরা! এই বইয়ে এক জযাকেট আর ফিঙক-বোটল নিয়ে যা দেখাইলো তারা।
অপরাপর উডহাউজের মতই, এখানেও পরেম ভেসতে যায়। ভাসতুক, কিনতু আজতক কাহিনীর সবলপতাহেতু ইনি কারুকে
Ben Rutter
Aug 30, 2007 Ben Rutter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw that it would be fruitless to try to reason with her. Quite plainly, she was not in the vein. Contenting myself, accordingly, with a gesture of loving sympathy, I left the room. Whether she did or did not throw a handsomely bound volume of the Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson, at me, I am not in a position to say. I had seen it lying on the table beside her, and as I closed the door I remember receiving the impression that some blunt instrument had crashed against the woodwork, but I was fee ...more
Vimal Thiagarajan
Sep 17, 2015 Vimal Thiagarajan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The rummy thing about life is that though you feel exhilarated that you've read a wonderful book, you begin to get the wind up your pipe wondering why the dickens you hadn't read anything from this author-chappie ever before
Timothy Hallinan
P.G. Wodehouse is the absolute master of first-person narrative. Bertie's voice in the Jeeves books is one of the greatest achievements in all of comic fiction--absolutely consistent, totally confident, unerringly wrong. Jeeves is the title character, and certainly the greatest butler in literary history, but Bertie is nonpareil. And it's no wonder that the Jeeves books haven't really worked in dramatic form (and I include the very good BBC series with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry) -- without Ber ...more
Anthony
Jun 24, 2008 Anthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who genuinely likes comedy. This does NOT include fans of Catherine Tate.
Jeeves, hand me my Thesaurus! This is going to require more than a few superlatives for me to even come close to accurately describing just how brilliant this book is.

This is, quite possibly, the funniest book I have ever read and most likely will ever read, what? The humour is astoundingly advanced for its time, and effortlessly eclipses most of the 'comedies' I’ve unwittingly subjected myself to over recent years - television included.

P.G. Wodehouse has such consistently amazing prose, where
Vandana Chaudhary
Just loved it. It took me a little while to get a hang of this type of writing. This kind of writing either gets you totally engrossed or you throw away the book. For me it was the former. Couldn't stop laughing out loud many a times. Try it, be patient,you may love it.
Stephanie Graves
First, though possibly not foremost, how can you not love an author named Pelham Grenville? In a world of Tonys and Chrises and Ryans, you have to admit that a name such as that inspires a certain confidence in one's authorial voice.

Otherwise, it's a typically wonderful Wodehouse novel, with Bertram Wooster mucking about in the affairs of his friend Gussie (and attending the party of a friend named Pongo, GOOD LORD THE NAMES DO ME IN), and of course has to rely on the inimitable Jeeves to sort i
Josephine Myles
Nov 01, 2011 Josephine Myles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
I can't believe it's taken me so long to get around to reading any P.G. Wodehouse. Clearly I've been missing out. One of the funniest books I've read in a long time. Bertie Wooster's narrative voice is hysterical! Just marvellous. I'm out to hunt down more!
Joy C.
Jun 04, 2014 Joy C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right ho, I loved this book :). SO MUCH FUN!
(I shall see if I can squeeze the time to write a proper little review sometime. . .)
May 29, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars.
مروان البلوشي
تاريخ القراءة الأصلي : ٢٠٠٢
موقع القراءة : بريطانيا
Terris
Feb 25, 2017 Terris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
So cute! I love the Jeeves and Wooster series. I've read six so far and this one was just as much fun as the rest of them have been. Bertie gets into his regular scrapes, and in this one he decides can solve his problems without any help from Jeeves. Of course, in the end, Jeeves comes to his rescue and puts everything into place very quickly and easily. This is a very light and satisfying read -- save it for a time when you need a fun "pick-me-up!"
Julie Davis
Jun 15, 2017 Julie Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been far too long since I've read any of P.G. Wodehouse's inspired comic lunacy. While waiting for the library to get me another of Terry Pratchett's books I found this as an ebook from the library. It hits the spot.
M0rfeus
Mar 03, 2008 M0rfeus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely a classic. Gussie loves Madeleine Bassett, as goopy a young geezer as ever declaimed that the stars are God's daisy chain--but he cannot bring himself to propose. Tuppy loves Angela but a rift has torn their loving hearts asunder, he asserting that the shark that attacked her at Cannes was a mere flatfish, she contending that he lives for food alone.

Into this mess stumbles Bertram Wooster. Bertie ends up, much against his will, engaged to La Bassett, while Gussie and Angela propose to
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Description in wrong language 4 59 Dec 15, 2016 02:01PM
Goodreads Librari...: Scrambled ISBNs 4 152 Aug 17, 2012 10:12PM
  • The Worshipful Lucia (Lucia, #5)
  • Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • The Napoleon of Notting Hill
  • The Brandons
  • The Collected Short Stories of Saki
  • The Complete Yes Prime Minister
  • Decline and Fall
  • The Hippopotamus
  • The Provincial Lady in London
  • Still William (Just William, #5)
  • The First Rumpole Omnibus
  • Birds, Beasts and Relatives (Corfu Trilogy #2)
  • Wodehouse: A Life
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Jeeves (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1)
  • The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)
  • Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3)
  • Very Good, Jeeves! (Jeeves, #4)
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
  • Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)
  • The Mating Season (Jeeves, #9)
  • Ring for Jeeves (Jeeves, #10)
  • Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit (Jeeves, #11)

“I don't want to wrong anybody, so I won't go so far as to say that she actually wrote poetry, but her conversation, to my mind, was of a nature calculated to excite the liveliest of suspicions. Well, I mean to say, when a girl suddenly asks you out of a blue sky if you don't sometimes feel that the stars are God's daisy-chain, you begin to think a bit.” 65 likes
“Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror.” 62 likes