Start by marking “Sins of South Beach” as Want to Read:
Sins of South Beach

Sins of South Beach

Sins of South Beach is the true story of sex, drugs, violence, corruption, murder, and the making of Miami Beach. The book is an autobiographical portrait of one of the most spectacular renovations that any city has ever undergone, and the seedy underside that fueled its rise.

Sins of South Beach reveals the city’s renaissance, and the crime and corruption that fueled it. A
Published November 1st 2006 by Pegasus Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sins of South Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sins of South Beach

Chris Fraley
Feb 05, 2011 Chris Fraley rated it it was amazing
Sins of South Beach is an excellent book on how money and power can make a good person with a good heart go oh so bad.I grew up with Miami Vice on the TV.So when I saw this book in the store I had to pick it up.Then I could not put it down.This book has some very heart warming tales and some very messed up situations.I would take it on the train to read .And when Alex talked about his mother and the woman that reminded him of his mother I had to close the book to stop from tearing up.I can't be ...more
Xavier Shay
Apr 22, 2012 Xavier Shay rated it liked it
What I wanted: A harrowing tale of an ethical man turned bad by circumstance.
What I got: An untrustworthy narrator whose self-reported emotional state swings wildly between cliches, depressingly never showing any real spine. I'm torn between depression for a system that encourages such behaviour (paying mayors only $10K/year), to pity/lack of respect for a man who ultimately doesn't consider himself in the wrong - even though he openly admits what he was doing was wrong, and he knew that, facing
Creve
Sep 30, 2010 Creve rated it it was amazing
"The making of laws like the making of sausages, is not a pretty sight"

This eye opening book tells the ins & outs of politics and gives real names. Mayor Daoud writes of his rise & fall while telling the salacious story's in between. This book is a page turner and will give you a unique inside look at the corruption and shenanigans that are rampant in our political system.

The unwritten irony of the story is Mayor Daoud is likely the best and most truthful politician South Beach has ever
Jan Andreas
Nov 22, 2010 Jan Andreas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Exciting and involving all the way through, the book transitions from high-paced action to gripping courtroom drama. The author's self-scrutiny appears as somewhat on-and-off, as you sometimes get the impression he doesn't regret his action and considers his punishments undue - which makes for a more interesting read!
Milah
Oct 08, 2011 Milah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
As I posted on Amazon...

If it weren't for 1 star this book would have no stars. Self serving, arrogant, embellished...these are words that come to mind when reading this trash. I am so confused as to how it received this many stars. I couldn't even finish the book. Please don't waste your time. Spare yourself the headache.
Alan
May 09, 2008 Alan rated it really liked it
Interesting book that chronicles the rise and fall of a corrupt mayor in Miami Beach. Good read to get a feel for what was going on during the Miami Vice crime wave days of Miami Beach. Cocaine Cowboys - the movie is a good movie to pair with this book.
Kristine Goldberg
May 18, 2009 Kristine Goldberg rated it really liked it
I loved reading this history of South Beach. Some of the characters and places are familiar to me. I knew very little about Miami Beach during the time that the book takes place. It was very enlightening.
Eileen
Nov 04, 2009 Eileen added it
Having grown up there and knowing Alex, the author, I was fascinated. Must read for anyone interested in politics and what it does to people.
Chloe
Chloe rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2013
Jorge Bardowell
Jorge Bardowell rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Bliss
Bliss rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Jeff Glovsky
Jeff Glovsky rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Marie Harms
Marie Harms rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Ivan
Ivan rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2015
Debbie Harader
Debbie Harader rated it it was ok
May 06, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Lawrence H Shaffer
Lawrence H Shaffer rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Joëlle Cyr
Joëlle Cyr rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
David Walis
David Walis rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Roland
Roland rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2014
Brad Lazarus
Brad Lazarus rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Mariangela
Mariangela rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2009
Bev
Jan 05, 2016 Bev rated it really liked it
Very glad I read the book. A real eye opener and page turner.
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Swiss Manly
Swiss Manly rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Michael Shumrak
Michael Shumrak rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2016
Marvin Tanenbaum
Marvin Tanenbaum rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Adrian Tyrrell
Adrian Tyrrell rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014