Start by marking “Sins of South Beach” as Want to Read:

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Sins of South Beach is the true story of sex, drugs, violence, corruption, murder, and the making of Miami Beach. The book is an autobiographical portrait of one of the most spectacular renovations that any city has ever undergone, and the seedy underside that fueled its rise.

Sins of South Beach reveals the city’s renaissance, and the crime and corruption that fueled it. A
Published November 1st 2006 by Pegasus Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sins of South Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sins of South Beach

Chris Fraley
Sins of South Beach is an excellent book on how money and power can make a good person with a good heart go oh so bad.I grew up with Miami Vice on the TV.So when I saw this book in the store I had to pick it up.Then I could not put it down.This book has some very heart warming tales and some very messed up situations.I would take it on the train to read .And when Alex talked about his mother and the woman that reminded him of his mother I had to close the book to stop from tearing up.I can't be ...more
Creve
"The making of laws like the making of sausages, is not a pretty sight"

This eye opening book tells the ins & outs of politics and gives real names. Mayor Daoud writes of his rise & fall while telling the salacious story's in between. This book is a page turner and will give you a unique inside look at the corruption and shenanigans that are rampant in our political system.

The unwritten irony of the story is Mayor Daoud is likely the best and most truthful politician South Beach has ever
Xavier Shay
What I wanted: A harrowing tale of an ethical man turned bad by circumstance.
What I got: An untrustworthy narrator whose self-reported emotional state swings wildly between cliches, depressingly never showing any real spine. I'm torn between depression for a system that encourages such behaviour (paying mayors only $10K/year), to pity/lack of respect for a man who ultimately doesn't consider himself in the wrong - even though he openly admits what he was doing was wrong, and he knew that, facing
Milah
As I posted on Amazon...

If it weren't for 1 star this book would have no stars. Self serving, arrogant, embellished...these are words that come to mind when reading this trash. I am so confused as to how it received this many stars. I couldn't even finish the book. Please don't waste your time. Spare yourself the headache.
Jan Andreas
Exciting and involving all the way through, the book transitions from high-paced action to gripping courtroom drama. The author's self-scrutiny appears as somewhat on-and-off, as you sometimes get the impression he doesn't regret his action and considers his punishments undue - which makes for a more interesting read!
Alan
Interesting book that chronicles the rise and fall of a corrupt mayor in Miami Beach. Good read to get a feel for what was going on during the Miami Vice crime wave days of Miami Beach. Cocaine Cowboys - the movie is a good movie to pair with this book.
Kristine Goldberg
I loved reading this history of South Beach. Some of the characters and places are familiar to me. I knew very little about Miami Beach during the time that the book takes place. It was very enlightening.
Eileen
Nov 04, 2009 Eileen added it
Having grown up there and knowing Alex, the author, I was fascinated. Must read for anyone interested in politics and what it does to people.
Julie Griffin
chose to stop reading this book because it was so detailed and didn't really tell the story.
Wcrocket
Did not like this book. Decided not to read the last half of the book
Tadd Rosenfeld
One of the great autobiographies of our time. Remarkable story.
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Aaron Pratt
Aaron Pratt marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Melanie Blanchard
Melanie Blanchard marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Yeh Riiht
Yeh Riiht marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Melanie Horton-rocker
Melanie Horton-rocker marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015