Start by marking “Psycho Kitty: Tips for Solving Your Cat's Crazy Behavior” as Want to Read:
Psycho Kitty: Tips for Solving Your Cat's Crazy Behavior

Psycho Kitty: Tips for Solving Your Cat's Crazy Behavior

Meet evil Espresso, who likes to sink his teeth into houseguests; Hannah, who uses walls as scratching posts; and Spencer, who sneaks into showers. Armed with 20 years of experience as a certified cat expert, Pam Johnson-Bennett tackles these tough kitty cases and outlines behavioral techniques, including play therapy, territory adjustments, and positive reinforcement, to ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Celestial Arts (first published August 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Psycho Kitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psycho Kitty

Julie Suzanne
This book is perfect for neurotic cat lovers. I was the type of "mom" that took my feline goddess to "day care" so that she wouldn't be bored during the day. My cat was as important to me as any child is to any parent--I firmly believe that adopting a cat is a 25-year commitment (if you're lucky and take care of him well!) not to be taken lightly. I took my cat to holistic veterinarians that diagnosed her problems with a pendulum and eagle feather.
Anyway, I no longer have a feline companion and
Karen
Nov 29, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each time I read one of this author's books, I am reminded of the importance of interactive play time with my cats. So I'm beginning to do it again and hope to keep it up. I don't think that I learned anything especially new in reading this book, but it did reinforce and remind me of what I've read in the past. And I cried while reading the last two stories. I think I'm going to keep this book out and available so I can look at it and remind myself of making sure to play with my cats a little ea ...more
Rena Sherwood
Psycho Kitty? Understanding Your Cat's Crazy Behavior (Crossing Press,1998) is one of several books by noted (a-hem) cat behaviorist (a-hem), Pam Johnson-Bennet. "Psycho Kitty?" an apt title, because Johnson-Bennet writes in a schizophrenic style. She can't make up her mind whether she's James Herriot or a Cesar Milan for cat-owners.

Herein lays the book's major flaw: although touted as an "advice lady" book for helping to solve common cat behavior problems, it winds up reading like a 156 page ad
Cassandra
Oct 26, 2012 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, pets
Fantastic book! I highly recommend this one! We've been trying to correct several behavior issues with our cat - inappropriate elimination, bullying our elderly cat, waking us up at 4:30 in the morning, etc.

We're already seeing improvements from implementing some of her behavior modification techniques. We switched cat litter last night and haven't heard him scratching outside the box. He actually dug around inside the litter last night to bury his present. Hurray!! That is a huge improvement.
Melissapalmer404
#59 Book Read in 2012
Psycho Kittty by Pam Johnson-Bennett

The author of this book is a certified Animal Behavior Consultant. I enjoyed her book Cat vs. Cat. In Psycho Kitty, problems covered involve litter box issues, aggression, "weird" cat behaviors and scratching the furniture. As the proud (?) owner of a cat on Prozac, I enjoy reading these cat behavior books to get any tips that I may not be using already with my zoo crew. This book was a very quick read. Issues are addressed in a helpful ma
Bina Artiste
Feb 17, 2016 Bina Artiste rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a cute book with the realization that most of the clients are rich and not too in-tuned with their cats.

I disagree with giving the cats psychiatric drugs, declawing them, or putting them to sleep. That's awful!

Kitties need love love love.
Marlene
Jun 21, 2016 Marlene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This book is extremely straight forward, but meant for a true beginner; think teenagers. It covers the most tediously basic things like the need for a litter box and veterinary visits. It's a great book for kids, but if you have some experience with cats, this won't help you much at all.
Carole
Jul 20, 2012 Carole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
This was the first book I read in our attempt to save our 4yo male cat. Although the attempt was ultimately unsuccessful, this book was a fantastic read, and made me wish that I'd had the author by my side months earlier, before it was too late.

Also, I loved the case studies.
Denise
May 10, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a cat lover. I've loaned this book to several cat loving friends. There are no crazy cats...only owners who do not understand the nature of the beast? My Brother-in-law needs to meet the author. His cat Lulu would be fodder for another book!
M
Jul 24, 2016 M rated it liked it
Picked this up at Half Price Books' clearance shelf for 50 cents. Fortunately, none of my cats exhibit any of the bad behavior discussed in this book, but forewarned is forearmed. It's a quick read and contains some good information.
tellthesky
Mar 02, 2012 tellthesky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book gives some great insight into your cat's seemingly crazy behavior. I love the stories and the advice!
William Frizzell-Carlton
Never did find out what makes my kitty a "Psycho Kitty." Guess I will just continue to pick her poop off of the floor right outside the litter box.
Patricia
Jun 14, 2008 Patricia rated it liked it
This is probably also a good guide, but I had my fill of Johnson-Bennett's other cat-raising guide. This book had more actual case studies. I will reference it in the future.
Fresa
Fresa rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2010
Bellis
Bellis rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Nancy Taylor
Nancy Taylor rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Heather Griffin
Heather Griffin rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Brandy
Brandy rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2012
girlwithglasses
girlwithglasses rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2010
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Msbookgal
Msbookgal rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Steph
Steph rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Christina Elissa Roberts
Christina Elissa Roberts rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Cat
Cat rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Julie Amador
Julie Amador rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Pam Johnson-Bennett is the host of the TV series "Psycho Kitty" which airs on the Discovery UK channel. She is the best-selling author of 7 books on cats and is considered a pioneer in the field of cat behavior consulting. Her ground-breaking book, Think Like a Cat, is considered the cat bible among owners, experts, and shelter personnel worldwide. She is a Certified Cat Behavior Consultant and a ...more
More about Pam Johnson-Bennett...