Start by marking “The Long Habit Of Living” as Want to Read:
The Long Habit Of Living

The Long Habit Of Living

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  357 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In the 21st century, immortality via the complex operation known as the Stileman Process is attainable by a few wealthy and determined individuals, but the motivations that drive humans to live forever remain shrouded in mystery until "immortals" Dallas Barr and Maria Marconi stumble across a dangerous secret and find themselves fleeing for their lives--which have suddenly ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 300 pages
Published November 1990 by New English Library (first published June 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Habit Of Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Habit Of Living

spikeINflorida
Aug 16, 2015 spikeINflorida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A slick, intelligent story that moves at an exciting clip. Joe Haldeman's prose seemed less typical hard SF and more AA in the vein of Ian Fleming, Tom Clancy, or Clive Cussler...set in a near-future world. This is the third Joe Haldeman novel, after Mindbridge and Forever Peace, that I found to be under rated by fellow GR reviewers. Or worse, when the author's name comes up, it seems that most know Forever War, but few know little else. This book is proof positive that he has a helluva lot more ...more
Robert
Oct 01, 2013 Robert added it
Shelves: sf
A techno-conspiracy thriller where Immortaility is medically possible, aside from accident or murder but the procedure must be repeated every ten years or so and you must hand over all your worldly goods to the Foundation that monopolises the procedure in order to get it done - additionally, you must be able to give at least a million every time.

THIS REVIEW HAS BEEN CURTAILED IN PROTEST AT GOODREADS' CENSORSHIP POLICY

See the complete review here:

Timothy Boyd
May 11, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haldeman always amazes me in the way he takes an old tried and true SiFi plot, in this case immortality, and the twists it till it is something else entirely. I am almost always surprised but never disappointed in a Haldeman Novel. If you haven't discovered this guy, grab a book. Very recommended
Frank
Apr 08, 2015 Frank rated it it was amazing
This is one of the few books that I have enjoyed reading again. It is so full of interesting ideas and an action paced plot.
Mairi
May 14, 2014 Mairi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, compelling read. The strange biology came out of nowhere at the end, and didn't seem necessary to resolve the plot. But the resolution worked anyway, even if it was given somewhat more cursory attention than the rest of the plot.
Jadis Reich
Good mystery book, the science in it is only slightly hand-wavy. The attitude of the main character is quite admirable, with some of the same self-possessed egoism you'd find in a Jack Vance novel. Speaking of which there is another murder mystery about immortals by Mr. Vance - it's called "To Life Forever" and is as different as it can be from this. I prefer Vance's yarn, but Haldeman is a clear writer with a good grasp on what makes science fiction a worthwhile genre.
Heather's Mum
As with the majority of Haldeman’s writings, Buying Time was thought provoking as well as adventurous & entertaining. The strong protagonist characters were interesting, if not in many ways relatable. I must admit that the plot was for the most part, …predictable [albeit, incorporating a few surprising twists.]

It is disturbing that if I lived in the portrayed society, I would not be counted among the elite & potentially forever lived! Ouch!

The imaginative story is well written, has ‘sta
StarMan
What if you could live for centuries, or perhaps longer... at the price of 1 million dollars every 10 years?

The resourceful men and women who are able to do so find themselves in a bit of a situation when the longevity process comes into question, and some "immortals" begin to meet untimely deaths.

Is it a conspiracy, or an inherent flaw in the process? Can the deaths be stopped? One man and his long-lost girlfriend come together to try to save their own lives and solve the mystery. There's a bit
Mike Strider
Feb 26, 2014 Mike Strider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. The ending was abrupt, but still satisfying. It doesn't leave you hunting for answers but does leave open plot lines that could be extended into additional stories down the line. If anyone has seen one of these created and I missed it, please clue me in.
Johnathan Cobb
May 02, 2015 Johnathan Cobb rated it liked it
A quick holiday read. Nice ideas and some interesting surprises. However, the start was slow and the characters felt a bit 2-dimentional.
Kevin Groosalugg
I wanted to like this book, I've read a few Haldeman short stories and really enjoyed them. The story was uninteresting, the characters not well defined or likeable. It improved in the middle and I was just starting to get into it when out of the blue it ended. No real resolution or explanation of anything. Just a poorly written book. It's a near future story where humans can extend their life for 10 years through the Stileman process by giving Stileman all their money. A man can expose the Stil ...more
Deidre
Nov 06, 2015 Deidre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-hard, box-i
book is aka The Long Habit of Living)
Daniel Garrison
May 07, 2016 Daniel Garrison rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of Haldeman's books and this one is, by far, my favorite.
Prospero
Jan 07, 2014 Prospero rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Haldeman - when he's good, as with The Forever War, Camouflage and The Accidental Time Machine, he's pretty good; when he's bad, as with Mindbridge, Worlds, and this novel, he's really bad. Poorly structured and paced, with an out-of-left field biological deux ex machina at the end. A real disappointment.
Chris O'Neil
Jun 12, 2012 Chris O'Neil rated it really liked it
This book was interesting to read in the light of knowledge that prolonged human life may start to become a reality in the next 20 or 30 years, due to the work of such people as Aubrey de Gray. Hopefully Aubrey will be more of a philanthropist than the future that was envisioned in this book.

A very readable science fiction thriller. It would certainly make a good feature length film.
Tymothy
Sep 21, 2012 Tymothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It reminded me a lot of Robert A. Heinlein's later writing ( a good thing for me, since RAH is one of my favorite authors ). Engaging characters, interesting story, convincing world.
Owen Lindsell
Aug 20, 2009 Owen Lindsell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast pasced and entertaining. Perhaps becoming quite relevant with the dawn of Synthetic Biology now beginning.
Ray Charbonneau
Haldeman's writing skill masks the simple plot. The end sets up a sequel, but I don't think it was ever made.
Andy Gavin
Oct 29, 2011 Andy Gavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly fun tale about a future where some live forever, and most can't afford it.
PSXtreme
PSXtreme marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Michaela
Michaela rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Muge
Muge marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
J R
J R rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Benoit
Benoit marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
A
A added it
May 10, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
  • Beneath The Planet of The Apes
  • Letters from Atlantis
  • Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
  • Lifehouse (Lifehouse, #3)
  • Midas World
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • Hour of the Horde
  • Cyberbooks
  • Supermind
  • California Voodoo Game (Dream Park, #3)
  • Fall of the White Ship Avatar (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #3)
  • The Rapture Effect
  • Brother to Dragons
  • Children of the Thunder
  • L'Échiquier du mal, Tome 2
  • Strange Toys
  • The Unreasoning Mask
  • Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman
Brother of Jack C. Haldeman II

Haldeman is the author of 20 novels and five collections. The Forever War won the Nebula, Hugo and Ditmar Awards for best science fiction novel in 1975. Other notable titles include Camouflage, The Accidental Time Machine and Marsbound as well as the short works "Graves," "Tricentennial" and "The Hemingway Hoax." Starbound is scheduled for a January release. SFWA pres
More about Joe Haldeman...