The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)

The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries #5)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,660 ratings  ·  48 reviews
E is for Envelope...Dink keeps getting envelopes in the mail addressed to
"D. Duncan." But the letters inside all start with "Dear Doris" and don't make
any sense! Josh and Ruth Rose think someone's playing a trick on Dink. But Dink
is sure there's more to it than that, especially after Doris herself shows up
and demands her letters!
Published June 16th 1998 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Empty Envelope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empty Envelope

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniCutting Right to the Chase Vol.2, by Stefania Mattana
Books That I Rated "5 Stars"
176th out of 397 books — 51 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienCan You Mend It? by Billy Wood-SmithThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsAngels & Demons by Dan Brown
Third person fiction
80th out of 209 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Trisha
My daughter and I are sharing this series as audio books together in the car. On occasion, she invites the whole family into the story and tries to keep them updated and make them guess who did it.

This one was ingenious. My daughter and I spent quite a bit of time talking about the why's and how's someone would do this - and how you can hide and decode secret messages. My 9 year old knew a lot more ways than I did! How fun! books that inspire kids always get two thumbs up from me.

I can't wait to...more
Talia
Dink starts getting all these mysterious envelopes accidentally sent to him. Everyone thinks it’s just a misunderstanding, until the actual owner shows up on Dink’s doorstep, demanding her letters back! Maybe there is something going on with the envelopes…

I actually really liked this one, and the detective work shown by the kids is pretty cool. Plus, I am always a fan whenever a book character says, “I want to know more about this topic, let’s go to the library!”
Dolly
Jun 20, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun mystery in the A to Z Mysteries series that involves research at the library! Will clever detectives Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose figure out the mystery in time to catch the crooks? Great story to read aloud.
Snooka L.
I love this book its a great read. Its about Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose finding an envelope that seemed werid. I read this book a long time ago and still remember it. I enjoyed this serse even though it was a short read.
Edward Creter
This series always pushes against the outside of the envelope in kids' detective fiction, but in this episode of entropic enemy events, five envelopes will push our three detectives to the limits and beyond. Five letters have been accidentally sent to Dink Duncan's doorstep, with the right first initial and last name--but the WRONG zip code! The clues as to why they were sent to the wrong address leads to a scam involving a postage stamp worth fifty thou, blackmail (emphasis on "mail"), a stamp...more
Emily
Not the best installment of this series, and the Brooklyn gangster dialect isn't the worst part (the dumb secret code is the worst part).

But if you want to see what research was like before Wikipedia and Google News, this book (publ. 1998) features our heroine and her sidekicks:
1. Going to the library, and
2. Asking a live person
3. For a reference book
4. And a pile of unindexed newspapers.

Goodreaders who wrote your term papers in the 90's and earlier, you know what I'm talking about.
Marlee
Both of my children (ages 6 and 9) really enjoyed this book. I loved how they did all of their research at the library. This story is quick and easy to read. For an adult it's quite predictable. But, as I've been sharing these with my children, we've all found them fun and engaging. The three children are nice characters to read about.
Caleb Mckenzie
I liked it. It was about how there was a valuable stamp that was worth $50,000 and it was hidden between other stamps. They found the stamp before somebody who was robber found the stamp to sell and get the money. But they stopped it before.
camryn
It is okay a little childish

it is okay mot something I would really something I would like to read. I read it a million times in like 5th grade
Seth
dink got five envelopes. the envelopes weren't his. ruth rose's little brother stole the envelopes. he put them in the fridge. the stamps were a lot of money.
Lys
Been so long since i read a kids book lyk this !
Loved it
Yasuko Takatsuki
2013.1.29 6612words
Brittany
Dink keeps getting envelopes addressed to "D. Duncan", but the letters themselves say "Dear Doris". It doesn't make sense to Dink, Jose and Ruth Rose. At first they think it's a trick, but soon find out that it's far from that when Doris shows up, demanding her letters! The kids know something isn't right, and upon further examination of the letters, they know why Doris is so determined to have them.

My mystery loving 5 year old said this book was really good and his favorite part is when the bad...more
Harold Bedat Jr
That was a great mystery. that was fun to read it.
Dianna
My son recommended this book to me. :)
luhvBOOKS
Title: The Empty Envelope

Author: Ron Roy

Series: A to Z Mysteries #5

Rating: ★★★★

Summary: Dink receives envelopes in the mail addressed to "D. Duncan." But the letters inside all start "Dear Doris" and don't make sense - until Doris shows up demanding her letters.

Review: Another children's thriller!

Things I Loved: The E mystery!

Things I Hated: N/A
Carleny
Nov 30, 2007 Carleny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
If you like books with mystery that you want to solve is a really good book. For people that can't wait to it finish everything happens very fast. Everything gets discoverd fast. i read this book in about 3 days. Its amazing what they find and how they found it. I actaully learned 2 thing from this book it was 2 tjings about how to take a stamp off. I never knew that a stamp could cost so much.
Kristine Pratt
This is my favorite one in the series so far. I really enjoyed the puzzle of the empty envelope and the stamp aspect. I've always loved stamp collecting and it's nice to see something that might add a little interest back into that again. Not to mention this one had a pretty thrilling chase. Very well done!
Sara
This is about how Dink is getting letters from someone else and later they found out that the fifth envelope had a stolen stamp worth a lot of money. They sent the culprits to jail and gave the stamp to the rightful owner.I recommend this book to those who love mysteries.
Sydney
when dink got a empty envelope and it says dear doris and there neighbor is demanding to have her envelope then they figure out that this valueable stamp is behind another stamp and they figure out that the lady who is there neighbor that she wants the stamp and she is a thief.
Glen
Another superior mystery by Roy, with an unusual Macguffin for a kids' book. While the trap at the end required quite a lot of suspension of disbelief, it is the sort of thing that kids fantasize about.
Theresa
early mystery series for kids, very popular with kids, because of the variation in the stories, and the uniformity of the characters
Elizabeth
SPOILER Lilly said "I really like how Doris falls for the trick and stuff and how smart Ruth rose is and how Good she is with her voice."
Amelia
I didn't think I'd like this one from the front cover and the first picture in the book. But I did, it was funny!
Kaylin
Nov 15, 2012 Kaylin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
i got this book at my school's libary.i love this book. i liked when they tricked O.Bird and Doris Duncan.
Sherry
I liked it because of the stamp.

review written by Alex age 8; Westernport Chapter Club member.
Jessica
One of my family's favorites in the entire A - Z Mysteries series.
Jacob
I like this series. I like the characters Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose.
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
  • Stage Fright on a Summer Night (Magic Tree House, #25)
  • Into the Land of the Lost (The Secrets of Droon, #7)
  • Nate the Great and the Missing Key
  • Helena the Horseriding Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Sporty Fairies, #1)
  • Pony Problems (Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, #3)
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)
  • The Littles To The Rescue
  • Tooth Trouble (Ready, Freddy! #1)
  • Cody (The Puppy Place, #13)
  • Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #2)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...
The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1) The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2) The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9) The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3) The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)