Start by marking “The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)

The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries #5)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,178 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
E is for Envelope...Dink keeps getting envelopes in the mail addressed to
"D. Duncan." But the letters inside all start with "Dear Doris" and don't make
any sense! Josh and Ruth Rose think someone's playing a trick on Dink. But Dink
is sure there's more to it than that, especially after Doris herself shows up
and demands her letters!
Published June 16th 1998 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1998)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit, or, There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanBlack Beauty by Anna SewellThe Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Best Children's books I've read
132nd out of 157 books — 8 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienAn Interrupted Love Story by Billy Wood-SmithThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsTorn by Billy Wood-Smith
Third person fiction
86th out of 211 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Trisha
May 22, 2014 Trisha rated it liked it
My daughter and I are sharing this series as audio books together in the car. On occasion, she invites the whole family into the story and tries to keep them updated and make them guess who did it.

This one was ingenious. My daughter and I spent quite a bit of time talking about the why's and how's someone would do this - and how you can hide and decode secret messages. My 9 year old knew a lot more ways than I did! How fun! books that inspire kids always get two thumbs up from me.

I can't wait to
Deepthi Herga
Nov 19, 2015 Deepthi Herga rated it really liked it
Shelves: snugli-books
My 7 - year old has finished the entire set of the A to Z mysteries (including all the super editions). I started reading them because I wanted to find out how good these mysteries are and after I started, I finished the entire set myself. This will be a common review for all the books in the set (so please forgive me if you see this repeated under another book).

First of all, the mystery part of the book is fairly simple for an adult, but I can see how it can keep a kid engrossed. The characters
Talia
Dink starts getting all these mysterious envelopes accidentally sent to him. Everyone thinks it’s just a misunderstanding, until the actual owner shows up on Dink’s doorstep, demanding her letters back! Maybe there is something going on with the envelopes…

I actually really liked this one, and the detective work shown by the kids is pretty cool. Plus, I am always a fan whenever a book character says, “I want to know more about this topic, let’s go to the library!”
Alina Borger
Listened to the audiobook with our kids during our Christmas travels. 7yo LOVES the A to Z mysteries and almost 9yo loved them when he was 7, too. He pretends not to like them now because he's "read them all," but is awfully engaged when the audio book is on. I chose to "report" this as read to Goodreads because it (along with the Haunted Hotel) is probably one of my favorites. I liked the envelopes and the coded messages and what it shows kids about cleverness. Obviously, the characterization/w ...more
Dolly
Jun 20, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun mystery in the A to Z Mysteries series that involves research at the library! Will clever detectives Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose figure out the mystery in time to catch the crooks? Great story to read aloud.
Snooka L.
Dec 26, 2009 Snooka L. rated it it was amazing
I love this book its a great read. Its about Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose finding an envelope that seemed werid. I read this book a long time ago and still remember it. I enjoyed this serse even though it was a short read.
Emily
Jun 11, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-readers
Not the best installment of this series, and the Brooklyn gangster dialect isn't the worst part (the dumb secret code is the worst part).

But if you want to see what research was like before Wikipedia and Google News, this book (publ. 1998) features our heroine and her sidekicks:
1. Going to the library, and
2. Asking a live person
3. For a reference book
4. And a pile of unindexed newspapers.

Goodreaders who wrote your term papers in the 90's and earlier, you know what I'm talking about.
Cecelia
Oct 09, 2015 Cecelia rated it it was amazing
I love this book because I like mysteries. It's about Dink getting lots of mail that isn't for him. When he gets his fifth one, there's nothing inside it. Ruth Rose, Dink, and Josh try to find out why. They find a code on the other four envelopes. It says "Jenny's on the fifth envelope." Jenny is a super special stamp that's worth five thousand dollars.
Melissa Namba
Dec 09, 2015 Melissa Namba rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-lucy
The characters are consistent throughout the series, which I love. This one was a fun one, but I think I am biased because my dad made me a stamp collector when I was that age so it was fun to re live those years. The mystery was simple and straight forward. I hope my niece likes it as much as I did.
Emma
Dec 22, 2014 Emma rated it liked it
I thought it was an okay book! I only read it to prove a point! I bet that I could finish the book within a half an hour and that is what I did and now my mom's owes me a soda! Anyway I thought it was a cute children's mystery novel. Had a good plot to it all in all! Still not my type of book!
Marlee
Feb 20, 2014 Marlee rated it really liked it
Both of my children (ages 6 and 9) really enjoyed this book. I loved how they did all of their research at the library. This story is quick and easy to read. For an adult it's quite predictable. But, as I've been sharing these with my children, we've all found them fun and engaging. The three children are nice characters to read about.
Caleb
Jul 11, 2014 Caleb rated it liked it
I liked it. It was about how there was a valuable stamp that was worth $50,000 and it was hidden between other stamps. They found the stamp before somebody who was robber found the stamp to sell and get the money. But they stopped it before.
Beth Anne
Jan 01, 2015 Beth Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud, 2014
Read aloud to Emma and Will. This was the best one so far in the series...solid mystery with fun details. This was the first one we didn't use the map in the front of the book, perhaps because we know the town at this point.
Rhea
Jun 08, 2015 Rhea rated it it was amazing
Dink is suddenly getting a lot of letters from somebody who he doesn't know. But the fifth envelope is empty. It's up to Dink,Josh and Ruth Rose to find out what is hidden in the fifth envelope.
Edward Creter
This series always pushes against the outside of the envelope in kids' detective fiction, but in this episode of entropic enemy events, five envelopes will push our three detectives to the limits and beyond. Five letters have been accidentally sent to Dink Duncan's doorstep, with the right first initial and last name--but the WRONG zip code! The clues as to why they were sent to the wrong address leads to a scam involving a postage stamp worth fifty thou, blackmail (emphasis on "mail"), a stamp ...more
camryn
It is okay a little childish

it is okay mot something I would really something I would like to read. I read it a million times in like 5th grade
Reagan
Mar 26, 2016 Reagan rated it it was amazing
Dink has been sent a whole lot of envelopes that look like they are addressed to him, but they aren't. Can Dink and his friends Josh and Ruth Rose find out the mystery of all these letters?
I like this book a lot. It is super cool. You should read this book because it is a huge mystery.
Seth
Sep 06, 2014 Seth rated it it was ok
Shelves: by-myself
dink got five envelopes. the envelopes weren't his. ruth rose's little brother stole the envelopes. he put them in the fridge. the stamps were a lot of money.
Superreader300
Jun 11, 2015 Superreader300 rated it it was amazing
Ian read this in one setting at the library!

He read two chapter books in one day!
Eden
May 30, 2015 Eden rated it it was amazing
I loved how Dink,Josh,and Ruth Rose find who the valuable stamp relly belongs to.
Yawz
Dec 24, 2014 Yawz rated it did not like it
This follows the typical formula of a mystery book series. Boring.
Lys
Aug 30, 2014 Lys rated it liked it
Been so long since i read a kids book lyk this !
Loved it
Eesha Arshed
Oct 12, 2015 Eesha Arshed rated it it was amazing
It is an interesting book.....I like this book!!
Ritika
Oct 20, 2014 Ritika marked it as to-read
This books are amazing
Yasuko Takatsuki
Feb 25, 2014 Yasuko Takatsuki rated it it was ok
2013.1.29 6612words
Brittany
Jun 22, 2013 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Dink keeps getting envelopes addressed to "D. Duncan", but the letters themselves say "Dear Doris". It doesn't make sense to Dink, Jose and Ruth Rose. At first they think it's a trick, but soon find out that it's far from that when Doris shows up, demanding her letters! The kids know something isn't right, and upon further examination of the letters, they know why Doris is so determined to have them.

My mystery loving 5 year old said this book was really good and his favorite part is when the bad
Hebasayedahmed
THATS THE BEST
Isabel Malik
Oct 27, 2014 Isabel Malik rated it really liked it
I liked it!
Shin Jee
Nov 20, 2014 Shin Jee rated it really liked it
good
Harold Bedat Jr
Mar 14, 2014 Harold Bedat Jr rated it it was amazing
That was a great mystery. that was fun to read it.
  • Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
  • Viking Ships At Sunrise (Magic Tree House, #15)
  • The King of Show-and-Tell (Ready, Freddy!, #2)
  • The Catnapping Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #18)
  • Arthur's Mystery Envelope (Arthur Chapter Book, #1)
  • The Sleeping Giant of Goll (The Secrets of Droon, #6)
  • The Littles To The Rescue
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...

A to Z Mysteries (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries, #4)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • The Haunted Hotel (A to Z Mysteries, #8)
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)
  • The Kidnapped King (A to Z Mysteries, #11)

“Officer Fallon snapped handcuffs on the thieves’ wrists.” 0 likes