Beer: The Story of the Pint: The History of Britain's Most Popular Drink

Beer: The Story of the Pint: The History of Britain's Most Popular Drink

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Beer: The Story Of The Pint is the chronicle of Britain's favourite drink, a river that stretches back to the sacred brews of the first Neolithic farmers and forward another six millennia to today's megabreweries. It tells the story of our national obsession with brewing and answers such questions as: when did bitter and mild originate? What is the true story of porter and...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Headline (first published October 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Beer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beer

Jason Koivu
That's too many fucking subtitles...I don't even remember whats this about...I should, I should read dis again...Stop swaying!...Martyn Cornellsssuch a cunt...I don't WANNA go home...Gityer damn handzzzoff me, you don't know me!
Joseph
A very strong resource for British beer aficionados. It becomes slightly tedious but the end, wrapped up in what amounts to the take over of smaller breweries but larger bodies. Perhaps, however, this is just my bias. The early chapters on beer and the appendices really go a long way to setting out the myths and examining them as far as a possible before defaulting to 'most likely' scenarios. A thoroughly good read, if slightly over long.
Dave
Apr 09, 2008 Dave rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with a serious interest in British brewing history.
UK-focused general history of beer and brewing. The first half is essentially background on the evolution of the drink and its methods of retail throughout British history. The latter portions become almost a deal-by-deal recounting of the many, many mergers and acquisitions involving various brewers. For the fan of British brewing, it makes some interesting reading. For the casual beer hobbyist, it's probably going to be a bit dry.
Adam Tierney-eliot
Begins with ancient history. Ends with corporate mergers. Pretty good.
Tobias Barker
Tobias Barker marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Hunter Williams
Hunter Williams marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Elliot
Elliot marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Diego
Diego marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2012
Br00n
Br00n added it
Sep 27, 2012
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2011
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2011
Pete
Pete marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2010
Robin
Robin added it
Jul 28, 2010
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2008
Amber, Gold & Black: The History of Britain's Great Beers Beer   The Story Of The Pint: The History Of Britain\'S Most Popular Drink BEER MEMORABILIA. Amber, Gold and Black Amber Gold & Black