Start by marking “Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast, #2)

Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #2)

Who’s the turkey with a taste for homicide?

Leaving the Hillside Manor in capable hands, bed-and-breakfast hostess Judith McMonigle heads north to Vancouver’s Hotel Clovia with her irrepressibly voracious cousin Renie for a pre-Thanksgiving getaway. But when an addled and impoverished popcorn vendor is murdered—along with his foul-mouthed pet parakeet—a local copper’s suspi
Mass Market Paperback, 237 pages
Published November 1999 by Avon Twilight Books (first published November 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Fowl Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fowl Prey

Thalia Papadakis
Jul 24, 2016 Thalia Papadakis rated it liked it
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
Mary
Jun 30, 2016 Mary rated it did not like it
Not very imaginative writing; I lost interest. Insultingly full of thinly disguised names of places in Seattle and Vancouver BC.
Monique
Dec 30, 2012 Monique rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned-book
honestly....these books are dead boring for me. It took a full month(!!) to read two of them. I think I'll delete the rest off my Kindle.
Allan Krummenacker
Apr 22, 2013 Allan Krummenacker rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd installment of the long running Bed and Breakfast Mysteries and it was every bit as good as I'd hoped. The protagonists, two middle aged women who are cousins, are great foils for each other with their banter and sharp wit. Having grown up like sisters, they know each others habits, temperaments and strengths. They also naturally share a long family history and deep understanding of one another. Together they make a formidable amateur sleuth team.

In this story, while on a trip to
Christyn
Jul 14, 2013 Christyn rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy-mystery
While I'm still not sure about the characters, I will say one thing, Daheim certainly knows how to write a mystery. There are enough twists and turns, red herrings and skeleton's in closets to keep the mystery going strong throughout the book. I don't particularly mind the twists and convoluted relationships, I do however wish that the characters were more three-dimensional. Perhaps they get better in future books, but I just don't click with them. Yes I have moments where I like them, don't li ...more
Linda Smatzny
Mar 13, 2015 Linda Smatzny rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Bed and Breakfast Mystery series featuring cousins Judith and Renie. Judith is the one who likes solving murders and this time when she and Renie discover the body of Bob-0 in a hotel elevator she has to find the killer. The crime occurs in Canada and the police have on strike and the cousins must return home before Thanksgiving so Judith starts digging and asking questions. The book was a fast easy read.
Annie
Nov 08, 2015 Annie rated it liked it
I know Mary Daheim is a very popular author with a fairly staggering backlist, but for me this one never worked particularly well. The 'coziness' was too light, the dialogue too flippant, the supporting characters too annoying and so much of the book was either convoluted or straight up unnecessary.

I prefer less cozy mysteries with a more classic flavour, but I'm sure her more die-hard fans would enjoy this one.
Dharia Scarab
Not my style, but I picked up most of the series at a thrift store so I'll try to give it another chance.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out
Jeff Dickison
Jun 18, 2014 Jeff Dickison rated it liked it
A cozy that was often too cozy. I liked parts of this book, but other parts, including the solving of the mystery, were BORING. The witty repartee between some of the characters was nice, but the conclusion was confusing and way too coincedental. I would recommend only to people who like these little cozies.
LJ
Aug 15, 2008 LJ rated it it was ok
FOWL PREY - Ok
Daheim, Mary - 2nd in Bed-and-Breakfast series

Leaving the Hillside manor in capable hands, bed-and-breakfast hostess Judith McMonigle heads north to Vancouver's Hotel Clovia with her irrepressibly voracious cousin Renie for a pre-Thanksgiving getaway. But when an addled and impoverished popcorn vendor is murdered-along with his foul-mouthed pet parakeet-a local copper's suspicious gaze settles on the two visiting Americans. The cousins, in turn, suspect one of the "Sacred Eight" --
Amy
Sep 20, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
This was a nice, little murder mystery that I could read on vacation. Two cousins go to a high class hotel in Canada, where someone they just met was murdered. They are, of course, immediately suspected. Coincidentally, a famous group of theater folk (with whom the cousins are acquainted) are staying I the same hotel. All of them have a connection to the deceased, Bobo, who was also a stage actor in his day. Through a series of sleuthing, the cousins uncover the truth of all of the theater folk ...more
Sara
May 29, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok
Decent murder mystery, ridiculously annoying main character. Judith is rude to all the wrong people (long-suffering Renie highest on that list), and unbelievably patient with others. (Joe!) I've heard the books get better as they go on, so I'll try one more in the series to see if Judith starts acting like a decent human being.
Patty Allen
Mar 23, 2016 Patty Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series! The relationship between Judith and Ernie always makes me laugh, and the mysteries are always full of twists and turns.
Tammy
Nov 10, 2014 Tammy rated it liked it
Early in the series but very well constructed with tightly constructed plot and we'll written characters.
Christina Metzger
Lots of Characters to keep track of that weren't explored deep enough. Still a good mystery though
Fran
The book is humorous and the characters are great, I just don't like the brutality she shows her pet cat.
Jeanie
Jan 09, 2015 Jeanie rated it really liked it
First off that series for me and I plan to read more by M. Daheim.
Gloria
Jan 30, 2015 Gloria rated it really liked it
Hilarious!
Dolly
May 25, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
I've only read two books in this series; I like them, but I'm not hooked. This story was a fun, quick read, but the plot and characters were overly contrived with too many connections between the "Sacred Eight" characters and far too many convenient coincidences. It was difficult to keep track of all of the past relationships and almost inbred familial connections. Overall, though, it was a welcome diversion during a draining night shift and a hectic exercise.

new words: espalier, pilaster, dudg
Aviva
Jun 30, 2014 Aviva rated it liked it
A good quick read.
VJ
Jan 02, 2013 VJ rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
In her best Agatha Christie mode, this author packed her novel with a roll call of interesting characters that made my head spin. Add to the mix several aliases and quite a few "Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon" episodes and you have a convoluted mess. Thankfully, I was able to keep the main players straight. That didn't help me solve the mystery though!

While being slightly confusing with the colorful cast of ever-evolving characters, it was nevertheless a really fun read.
Susan
May 30, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-canada
When Judith McMonigle and Renie Jones visit a posh Canadian hotel for a rare break, the last thing they expect is to meet some high school friends, now famous in the artistic world. But when the cousins find a popcorn vendor dead in the hotel elevator, they also find a mystery involving their friends. Since the police are on strike, the cousins must do some detecting if they expect to get home in time to satisfy their difficult families.
Feb 01, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I had enjoyed the first of this series so much that I was very excited to read this one. While it had the same main characters I enjoyed from the first, I knew nearly right away I wouldn't like it as much. The minor characters were annoying and the situation was kind of confusing. The "who dunnit" at the end was completely out of nowhere. I wouldn't say the book was horrible, but definitely not great.
Lindsay
Apr 08, 2016 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The cousins go to Canada for vacation right before Thanksgiving and find a dead body. In attempt to make it home in time for the holiday they try to find the killer. It was a decent book, but like always there are to many people and I got confused about who was who. I really dont like the mom. She's so mean.
Beth
Jun 19, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
The main character and her cousin go off for a few days for a quick vacation before the Thanksgiving rush and fall into a murder mystery involving some people they know and some they have just met.

Another quirky fun read with some twists and turns of the plot, some strange characters and a lot of humanity.
Glenn Harris
Jun 01, 2013 Glenn Harris rated it liked it
Second book in this long-standing series, a good mystery. The banter is still a little over the top for my taste but I'm going to read on because Daheim's Emma Lord series is so good and I anticipate this one will continue to get better as we approach the present day.
Clare
Sep 16, 2012 Clare rated it liked it
I like Daheim's complicated plots. I wish she wouldn't draw her characters in such a two dimensional way, though. I do like that the romance that threads through the series is complicated and that the heroine is a hard-working and smart businesswoman.
Nicole
May 28, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked this sequel more than the first novel in the series. Since I enjoy the Alpine mysteries I felt this series must get better and I was pleased with the setting in Victoria's Empress Hotel disquised a the Clovia Hotel.
Diane Falvey
On vacation in Canada at the Clovia Hotel the girls meet up with an old school friend. a nice weekend away from thier mothers and husbands only to get caught up in another murder. The girls are again on the trail of a murderer.
Sallie
Nov 09, 2008 Sallie rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The cast of characters was confusing at times, and I was afraid she'd meet up with the killer at the end ala the first book, but she didn't. That helped me like the book. Engaging characters, but so many of them ;-}
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • Who Killed the Queen of Clubs? (Thoroughly Southern, #7)
  • Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • Harvest Of Murder
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • Sharks, Jellyfish, and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 2)
  • Irish Chain (Benni Harper, #2)
  • Check-out Time (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #5)
  • Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.

After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
  • September Mourn (Bed-and-Breakfast, #11)