Start by marking “Inside, Outside, Upside Down” as Want to Read:
Inside, Outside, Upside Down

Inside, Outside, Upside Down (The Berenstain Bears Bright & Early)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  14,477 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
Published October 12th 1968 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Inside, Outside, Upside Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside, Outside, Upside Down

Patrick
Dec 31, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A kid classic. Perfect for little kids (Six months - three years old).

There's just a few words on each page. Nice clear pictures. Clear action. (Also, it helps kids get a grip on prepositions, which are actually a really tricky part of the English language, and not intuitive at all.)

Little Cutie really likes this one. He'll point at the pictures and name things, talking about what's going on.
Candice
Apr 04, 2009 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright, this book has been a bit boring for me to read to my kiddos, but they've asked for it over and over as toddlers.
Joel
Jan 05, 2016 Joel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just read this one to my 3 year old based on a recommendation from author Patrick Rothfuss, and he was immediately captivated. I haven't read a new book to my kid that had him so captivated in a very long time. As soon as the book was over, my kid wanted to read it again. He even sat with it by himself later and was repeating the sentences he remembered as he flipped through the pictures. An awesome, fun, and simple book that will help kids understand some prepositions. Highly recommend.
Carla Faraldo
Jan 23, 2016 Carla Faraldo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 18-month old loves this book. The rhymes are short and fun and the book is full of starter words that early learners easily identify and shout out during the reading ("Box!" "Mama!""Outside!") A terrific learning tool. This book actually comes from my childhood collection. I am so pleased I kept and can share the classic book with my daughter. The paper in the hardcover is thick, substantial and a bit harder to rip apart than new edition paperbacks of other authors. I find these older classic ...more
Kathy Davie

The target for The Berenstain Bears Bright & Early series is the beginning of the beginningest early readers.

My Take
Just like little kids or the cat as this little bear explores a box using very easy words to describe the child bear's actions and introduces the concepts of inside, outside, and upside down. There are some nice bits of humor that I suspect were tucked in for Mom and Dad to enjoy.

It also provides some fun for the kids with that arrow on the box — be sure to point that arrow out
Debra
Baby Bear goes to town stowed away in a box on the back of Father Bear's truck.The directional vocabulary is rich. Inside, outside, upside down, going in,inside, off and it continues on to the very end. This is a great first reader book.

Stan & Jan Berenstain were both born in 1923.They meet when attending the Philadelphia Museum os Industrial Arts. After WWII ,they married and became a magazine cartoonist team.They had two sons, Leo and Mike and began writing children's books because of thei
Linda Branich
This is a Cat In the Hat Brright and Early Book for Beginning Beginners Readers, featuring the Berenstain Bears . It has lots and lots of text and engaging, colorful illustrations. It is a hardcover book with a larger font, written in rhyme, with a lot of repetition. It is a great book for teaching and reinforcing spatial relations.

BEST OF ALL, I can picture my son-in-law reading this book to my 4-year-old grandson, and then him putting little Jimmy in a box and doing many of the things Papa Bea
Zequoia Hyche
When I was younger I think I might have read the whole Berenstain Bears collection! I love this book however, because it teaches children about what it means to be inside, outside, or upside down. And Stan Berenstain chooses to teach children these things through the use of a box! Bring a box to your class and try teaching students the same thing and perhaps take it even further, by saying what it's like to be beside a box, or under a box, or on top of a box. Challenge and broaden their thinking ...more
Angie
Jul 25, 2014 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
My mom recently cleaned out the house and found a bunch of books from when we were little. Of course she gave them all to me. They certainly bring back memories of reading them over and over and over again. 30 years later and I still remember these stories. The books themselves may be a little worse for wear but the stories are still wonderful.

I'm not sure how this is the only Berenstain Bear book that survived childhood. These books certainly work today just as well as they did when I was a li
Rebecca
Oct 27, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I often hear the statement that adults find a book tedious but because the book is continually requested, it must therefore be good. I guarantee that I can find a plethora of books that are fun to read for adults that kids will ask for again and again. I need not spend my time trudging through a slow repetitive book because of a child's nature to have you re-read books.

But this book is not without merit. The repetitive nature is perfect for early readers who are looking for a slightly fast and
David Sarkies
Jul 28, 2014 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to David by: My parents
Shelves: childrens
The follies of climbing into foreign boxes
17 November 2013

This is another one of those cool Dr Seuss books that is so simple in the way that it is put together that it makes it one of those books that I would recommend every parent of young children have on their shelf. In a way it is able to teach children aspects of the English language using simply sentences and very clear pictures – namely teaching the meaning of the words inside, outside, and upside down.
Basically one of the Berenstain be
Tracy Poff
Inside Outside Upside Down is a 'Bright and Early Book for Beginning Beginners', according to the cover. It's aimed at very early readers--or, probably, children who can't read quite yet--and teaches prepositions: inside, outside, and upside down (and a few others).

The story in this one is extremely simple--it's main purpose is to teach a few words, not to tell a story. Small Bear gets in a box, the box is put on a truck by Papa Bear, the box falls off the truck, and Small Bear exits the box and
Karly Winters
This is a book of my choosing is a beginner book for readers who are still just getting the hang of things. It’s about how a little bear gets inside a box is nearly taken to town, but falls off the truck and runs back home to tell his mom all that has happened. While the story plays out it tells about directions and going inside, outside, and such. This book is simple, more pictures than text, and its purpose is to familiarize kids with the differences between inside, outside, and upside down. C ...more
Colby
Nov 29, 2013 Colby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal
I am not sure why but I have always enjoyed this book when I read it as a child. I like the word play this book uses. It usually just says a few words each page. Then the reader needs to look at the illustration to fully understand it. For example, the first page only says “Going in” then you look at the picture and you see a bear going into a box. This is how the majority of the book goes following the bears adventure with this box, using the illustrations to aid the reader. I find it amusing, ...more
Rachel
Sep 06, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to directional vocabulary presented in a story that will certainly engage emerging readers. What kid doesn't like playing inside a box? When one young bear crawls inside a box, his world is turned upside down as he loaded into a truck and begins heading into town. Text size and design layout are ideal for young readers and appropriate repetition is used to encourage the retention of new vocabulary. Highly recommended.
Ashley M.
Oct 15, 2012 Ashley M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This book is a fun simple classic. It covers basic directional words such as mentioned in the title. The use of a box helps teach different vocabulary to readers by moving around the box. The use of repetition can be seen to reinforce each directional word used. Children can learn from this as the pictures help show visual picture of these directions. The primary colors used are bold and keep focus on the intended purpose of the pictures.

Children in a pre school can re play most of the story fro
Mariela
May 01, 2014 Mariela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved watching the Berenstain bears and reading their books too. This book is a great picture book that many teachers could use. This book talks about Brother Bear who gets in a box. Papa Bear than turns the box upside down, takes it outside, and puts it on a truck. The simple art is perfect and goes along just right with they rhyming of it. This book could be used as greatly when working with phonics and other basic reading skills. This book is written for and age group of six to wight years ...more
Amara
Inside, Outside, Upside Down is a Bright and Early Book for Beginning Beginners, and that line copied not be more aptly named. On the scale of picture books, Inside, Outside, Upside Down is at the very bottom. This isn't a Cat in the Hat; this isn't even a One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. Any child who has been reading independently for more than a year will find this book to be below their reading level (though they may still enjoy the scant plot if they're young enough and/or enjoy the ...more
Andrea
Sep 14, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All it took was the simple description that is given here to refresh my memory about this adorable book. Truthfully I don't remember much about it, but I do remember that it was one that I loved reading and having read to me over and over as all of my Dr. Seuss books were.
Carolyn Borgen
Oct 16, 2014 Carolyn Borgen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was read by my daughter to me.
E (5 years old): Dad, I read the hardest book the world today.
Dad: Really, what?
E: Inside, Outside, Upside Down.

She loved being able to read this and knowing that there are tougher words in the book.
Emma
Mar 27, 2015 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-2015
Inside Outside Upside Down is meant for beginning readers so of course it was very boring for me to read. My son's attention span is getting longer and he has more appreciation for longer stories now, but he did find this book silly and enjoyed that aspect of it.
Halea
Jul 16, 2015 Halea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Berenstain Bears are always fun! This book is about exploring inside, outside and upside down. Children could read this book to learn these words as new vocab. This book is very fun and exciting for young grades and even adults!
chucklesthescot
I didn't really see the point to this one. Brother goes into a box and gets taken away and escapes when the box falls off a truck. The rhyming was rambling and a bit pointless. Not a good story.
Madison Evans
Apr 28, 2014 Madison Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berenstain Bear books are great for early readers. This is directed towards very early readers but it's great to get kids thinking/learning about concepts like being upside down and right side up.
Nick
Nov 24, 2015 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this one a little more every time I read it, which is strange, because there's really not much to it. I might just like the rhythm of "inside, outside, upside-down" as a phrase.
Angie
Jan 07, 2014 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "Illus. in full color. A bear explores a carton on a truck and gets carried away. By the time he has returned, the reader will be exposed to the concepts of "inside, outside, upside down."

My Review: Berenstein Bears were a staple in our house when I was growing up and have been looking forward to sharing the messages and morals with Munchkin. This wasn't quiet the same as the books I remember that had an actual story. This was more of a simple teaching book with a little rhyming. It is
Sri
Anak yang baca, emaknya ngawasin. Bacaan sederhana untuk belajar membaca English. Walaupun sederhana tapi tidak mengurangi keseruan dan kekonyolan kisah keluarga Berenstain Bear.
Ietrio
Sep 09, 2015 Ietrio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I loved the story. Simple. Clean. Clear. At the same time teaching the words. Can be useful for young children as well as for people learning the language. And it's fun too.
Rashanda Ravenel
Jun 30, 2014 Rashanda Ravenel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: positions
This book is on my shelf right now. I enjoy reading this book to my son. The illustrations are big and colorful. It is a great tool for teaching the concepts of inside, outside, and upside down to children. This can be read in the classroom, followed by hands-on activities.
Feb 05, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
my toddlers are captivated by this. I like the length. I've never been a big fan of berenstain bears, though. they don't really look like bears. my boy calls them dogs.
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
  • The Best Nest
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • A to Z
  • Curious George Rides a Bike
  • A Fly Went by
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • All by Myself
  • Snow (Beginner Books B-27)
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears Bright & Early (9 books)
  • Bears on Wheels
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • Bears in the Night
  • C is for Clown
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)