Start by marking “Besieged (Skye's Legacy #3)” as Want to Read:
Besieged (Skye's Legacy #3)

Besieged (Skye's Legacy #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  795 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Jasmine's second daughter, Lady Fortune Lindley, leaves Scotland to return to her birthplace, a vast Ulster estate that she will inherit only if she weds an Irish Protestant. Fortune has agreed to consider a match with the aristocratic William Devers, a man suited to her wealth, her religion and her status. but it is his disinherited elder Catholic half-brother, Kiernan De ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Kensington (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Besieged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Besieged

Kelley Ross
I must have really terrible luck to have stumbled across yet another book that uses the term "love lance" during sexual scenes. Joking aside, this book is repetitive and spends a lot of time describing things that readers won't care about. Fortune's choice of a husband was obvious from the very beginning, and the dialogue between characters is peppered at strange times with dialect instead of being consistent.

Historically, I find this romance novel lacking.The Irish struggle for religious freed
Tricia
Jan 27, 2014 Tricia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Skye-O'Malley readers, historical fiction fans
Shelves: my-reviews
I wanted to give this book a two stars. But my husband said I re-read them so frequently I couldn't possibly dislike them that much, and implied that I was somewhat two-faced, liking it privately but dissing it publicly. So all right. Three stars it is.

Fortune is the heroine, and despite her fiery hair, her personality seems quite mild, even milksoppy. This is described as "practical" by everyone in her family, but she has so much bland acceptance about things that should matter more to her that
Orion
Besieged, set in 1630's Ulster area of Ireland, is the first of Small's Skye O'Malley series I have read which is a matrilineal historical romance series. It tells the romantic story of Skye's granddaughter Fortune Lindley and Kieran Devers, she a Protestant and he a Catholic, in a very intolerant world. They are faced with the classic “A fish could marry a bird, but where would they live?"

While Small does a fairly good job of portraying the conflict between the local Irish Catholics and their n
Tanya
Having read all 6 books in the Skye O'Malley series, I was thrilled to learn the story continued in the Skye's Lagacy series. Another 6 books... hooray! Besieged was Book 3 in the Legacy series so I am now halfway through. While it was not my favorite (Fortune was not among my favorite of Small's heroines) it was still a great read and fun to extend my visit with the characters I have come to know and love. I will be sad to finish this series.
Judy
God, I still can't believe I have this heaving-bosom book. Another time, another life. Pure sexual fantasy. HA!
Naksed
Coming from a native country that has been and continues to be ravaged by religious fanaticism, I can say without a doubt that Bertrice Small did an outstanding job of illustrating the depths of depravity, insanity and bloodlust that ordinary people can resort to given the motivation and enabling circumstances. Though Small writes about centuries old feuds between Catholics and Protestants in England and Ireland, she could just as well be writing about hotspots today that still put neighbours, f ...more
Monica Autry
Read this a while back. Liked it enough I will re read. :c)
Cynthia B
This was a good read.
Judith
I look forward to each new Bertrice Small book with extreme anticipation. I have especially enjoyed reading the continuing saga of the O'Malley family. However, since the original character Skye has died, her descendents have become quite boring (as compared to her). They no longer have the adventures that Skye herself once did. I was especially disappointed that Fortune never did find out that Rory was her real father. That would have been reminiscent of the Skye legacy.
Robin Rousu
Eh. Similar to, but not as good as her Friarsgate Inheritance series. Really pointless subplot tacked on at the end, which made me wish she had ended the book about 100 pages sooner.
Logan
Logan added it
Aug 03, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa added it
Aug 01, 2015
Megan  Castillo
Megan Castillo marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Caron
Caron added it
Jul 31, 2015
Anne
Anne added it
Jul 29, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Chelsea Plater
Chelsea Plater marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
BookLuva28
BookLuva28 marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Bigjunk
Bigjunk marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
  • The Pirate and the Pagan
  • When Love Commands
  • The Tiger Lily
  • The Pagan's Prize
  • The Rogue's Return (Company of Rogues, #12)
  • The Black Rose
  • To Love a Rogue
  • Valentina
  • Fire & Ice
  • And Gold Was Ours
  • The Wanton
Bertrice Williams was born on December 9, 1937 in Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA, the daughter of Doris S. and David R. Williams, both broadcasters. She studied at Attended Western College for Women and Katharine Gibbs Secretarial School. On October 5, 1963, she married George Sumner Small, a photographer and designer with a History Major at Princeton. They had a son Thomas David. She has ...more
More about Bertrice Small...

Skye's Legacy (6 books)
  • Darling Jasmine (Skye's Legacy #1)
  • Bedazzled (Skye's Legacy #2)
  • Intrigued (Skye's Legacy #4)
  • Just Beyond Tomorrow (Skye's Legacy #5)
  • Vixens (Skye's Legacy #6)
Skye O'Malley (O'Malley Saga, #1) The Kadin All the Sweet Tomorrows (O'Malley Saga #2) This Heart of Mine (O'Malley Saga, #4) Wild Jasmine (O'Malley Saga #6)