Start by marking “Besieged (Skye's Legacy #3)” as Want to Read:
Besieged (Skye's Legacy #3)

Besieged (Skye's Legacy #3)

Jasmine's second daughter, Lady Fortune Lindley, leaves Scotland to return to her birthplace, a vast Ulster estate that she will inherit only if she weds an Irish Protestant. Fortune has agreed to consider a match with the aristocratic William Devers, a man suited to her wealth, her religion and her status. but it is his disinherited elder Catholic half-brother, Kiernan De ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Kensington (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Besieged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Besieged

Orion
Mar 26, 2010 Orion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Besieged, set in 1630's Ulster area of Ireland, is the first of Small's Skye O'Malley series I have read which is a matrilineal historical romance series. It tells the romantic story of Skye's granddaughter Fortune Lindley and Kieran Devers, she a Protestant and he a Catholic, in a very intolerant world. They are faced with the classic “A fish could marry a bird, but where would they live?"

While Small does a fairly good job of portraying the conflict between the local Irish Catholics and their n
Kelley Ross
I must have really terrible luck to have stumbled across yet another book that uses the term "love lance" during sexual scenes. Joking aside, this book is repetitive and spends a lot of time describing things that readers won't care about. Fortune's choice of a husband was obvious from the very beginning, and the dialogue between characters is peppered at strange times with dialect instead of being consistent.

Historically, I find this romance novel lacking.The Irish struggle for religious freed
Tricia
Jan 27, 2014 Tricia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Skye-O'Malley readers, historical fiction fans
Shelves: my-reviews
I wanted to give this book a two stars. But my husband said I re-read them so frequently I couldn't possibly dislike them that much, and implied that I was somewhat two-faced, liking it privately but dissing it publicly. So all right. Three stars it is.

Fortune is the heroine, and despite her fiery hair, her personality seems quite mild, even milksoppy. This is described as "practical" by everyone in her family, but she has so much bland acceptance about things that should matter more to her that
Tanya (Girl Plus Books)
Feb 19, 2009 Tanya (Girl Plus Books) rated it really liked it
Having read all 6 books in the Skye O'Malley series, I was thrilled to learn the story continued in the Skye's Lagacy series. Another 6 books... hooray! Besieged was Book 3 in the Legacy series so I am now halfway through. While it was not my favorite (Fortune was not among my favorite of Small's heroines) it was still a great read and fun to extend my visit with the characters I have come to know and love. I will be sad to finish this series.
Judy
Feb 21, 2008 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
God, I still can't believe I have this heaving-bosom book. Another time, another life. Pure sexual fantasy. HA!
Nancy
Oct 10, 2016 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok, but sort of predictable. I started enjoying more as they prepared to go to the New World and enjoyed all the historical events.
Naksed
Coming from a native country that has been and continues to be ravaged by religious fanaticism, I can say without a doubt that Bertrice Small did an outstanding job of illustrating the depths of depravity, insanity and bloodlust that ordinary people can resort to given the motivation and enabling circumstances. Though Small writes about centuries old feuds between Catholics and Protestants in England and Ireland, she could just as well be writing about hotspots today that still put neighbours, f ...more
Donna
Sep 22, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jackie Winters
Sep 29, 2016 Jackie Winters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beseiged

Bertrice Small is an expert in creating characters. So far I've had trouble putting down anything that she has written. She includes some history that supplements the stories.
Robin Rousu
Apr 10, 2009 Robin Rousu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Eh. Similar to, but not as good as her Friarsgate Inheritance series. Really pointless subplot tacked on at the end, which made me wish she had ended the book about 100 pages sooner.
Jessi Thompson
Jessi Thompson rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Beau Phoenyx
Beau Phoenyx rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2016
Barbara Darke
Barbara Darke rated it really liked it
May 06, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Alyson Dugdale
Alyson Dugdale rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Stavroula Kalantzis
Stavroula Kalantzis rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2011
Clarissa
Clarissa rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Shawn Avalos
Shawn Avalos rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Yuanxin Wang
Yuanxin Wang rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2009
Natashia Paiva
Natashia Paiva rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Jade
Jade rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Bonnie Lacour young
Bonnie Lacour young rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Rebecca Chuha
Rebecca Chuha rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2012
June
June rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2010
Elnaz Nobari
Elnaz Nobari rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2011
Gwyneth
Gwyneth rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2011
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 10, 2016 03:21PM
  • The Raven and the Rose
  • To Love a Rogue
  • Valentina
  • When the Splendor Falls
  • When Love Commands (Marietta Danver Trilogy, #3)
  • The Wanton
  • What Price Love? (Cynster, #13)
  • The Black Rose (Dangerous Heroes, #1)
  • The Rogue's Return (Company of Rogues, #12)
  • The Pagan's Prize
Bertrice Williams was born on December 9, 1937 in Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA, the daughter of Doris S. and David R. Williams, both broadcasters. She studied at Attended Western College for Women and Katharine Gibbs Secretarial School. On October 5, 1963, she married George Sumner Small, a photographer and designer with a History Major at Princeton. They had a son Thomas David. She liv ...more
More about Bertrice Small...

Skye's Legacy (6 books)
  • Darling Jasmine (Skye's Legacy #1)
  • Bedazzled (Skye's Legacy #2)
  • Intrigued (Skye's Legacy #4)
  • Just Beyond Tomorrow (Skye's Legacy #5)
  • Vixens (Skye's Legacy #6)