Start by marking “Eyes of a Stranger” as Want to Read:
Eyes of a Stranger

Eyes of a Stranger

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  223 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Published January 28th 2005 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Eyes of a Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes of a Stranger

Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
98th out of 734 books — 382 voters
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
237th out of 499 books — 443 voters

More lists with this book...

Heber
Aug 09, 2011 Heber rated it liked it
Being from the LDS Colonies in Mexico I was interested in reading Warburton's history of The Colonies. I was disappointed in that many of the historical details were either lacking or wrong. That being said, however, she did a very accurate job of describing the frustrating attitudes of racism and prejudice that unfortunatly infect my area of birth.

The attitudes, the justifications for these unchristlike attitudes and the exact words that people use to try to explain themseves were more accurate
Kathryn
Aug 25, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Linnae
Nov 23, 2011 Linnae rated it it was ok
Set in the Mormon colonoies in Mexico, early 20th century. Matt is Mexican, a foundling raised by a Mormon family. He finds out in a dramatic way that he has an identical twin brother, when he's rescued from a cougar attack by a man who looks exactly like him. Unfortunately for Matt, he doesn't tell anyone about his twin at the time, so later when his twin gets in with the wrong crowd, those in Matt's community and even his family start to doubt him. Except for the girl he nicknamed "Nutmeg" for ...more
Emily
May 24, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: old-west
I thought it was interesting to read the different perspectives of a couple who struggled to be together. They didn't have normal struggles like we do today. They dealt with ideas of racism and bigotry. For some, these challenges would have ended any future but not for this couple. They overcame the obstacles that faced them and they were happy with each other for who they were. A great eye-opening experience for me about the influence of bigotry and the affect that it had/has on people's lives.
Susan
May 02, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
Quite the love story! Takes place in the colonies settled by early members of the Church in Mexico, and about the time the revolution begins. Matthew, an orphan, is taken to the Mormones to be raised. His twin brother, Rafael, is raised in poverty and chooses to become a thief and bandit. When they meet each other and realize who their real father is, both will confront him and be disowned. The story revolves around the challenges faced and life choices these two brothers make.
Christina
I was interested to read this because I have ancestors from the Mormon colonies in Mexico. It's fun, but predictable. It does include some insight into what it might have been like in Mexico in the early 1900's. It was a little sad that a young man can spend his entire life among a people and experience so much prejudice.
Heidi
May 01, 2009 Heidi rated it did not like it
I had enjoyed a couple of other books by this author, and so was disappointed with this effort. It has a very slow start and I found myself skipping over complete paragraphs trying to avoid the superfluous descriptions. The story line had potential, but it was dragged out at a snail's pace.
Lisa
Nov 17, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 was because it was a little bit slow at first and it took me a while to get into it. After about 5 chapters was I really enthralled. I would recommend it to my friend if they enjoy historical LDS fiction.
Sally
May 14, 2012 Sally rated it liked it
One twin was kept by the uncle and the other twin given to the Mormons. It's a story of good twin/bad twin with a twist since it takes place in the early 1900's in Mexico. There is prejudice on both sides, but love triumps over all--as it should.
Taunya
Dec 10, 2010 Taunya rated it really liked it
By the same author as Midnight Whispers, I liked this one more than the last. It has a little adventure and is written around a historical era. The love story is very predictable, but cute.
Sherdene
Althought this book isn't my most favorite from Carol Warburton, I still enjoyed reading it. I like the way Carol writes and brings out the romance in each of her novels.
Debbie
Jan 31, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
This book was a very good book. It gave you some idea about what happened to a Mormon settlement in Mexico back in Pancho Villa's time. My daughter and I both liked it.
Becky
Jan 07, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
I thought she did a nice job of using historical fiction to bring to light prejudices and difficulties in the Mexican Mormon colonies during a volatile time in Mexican history
Heidee
Aug 25, 2009 Heidee rated it liked it
I liked "Nutmeg"'s ability to look at past what Matt looked like and see that it didn't make a difference. I loved that Matt was able to reconcile with his family.
Nicole
Jan 23, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
I liked this book okay but didn't enjoy the polygamy aspect. Also, the cover art made it so I couldn't ever find her true love cute - I mean come on. :)
Jessica
Aug 15, 2009 Jessica rated it liked it
this book i was so excited to read, its about my great great grandfather that i have heard so much about. He was a bishop for the mormon colonies in mexico!
Connie
May 01, 2009 Connie rated it it was amazing
A little slower starting, but really got into it after a bit. I'd recommend any of her books and will look for more from her.
Patricia
Jan 06, 2013 Patricia rated it liked it
It was interesting to read a little history of the colonies. The story was OK. This was a three-star book for me.
Alysia
Dec 08, 2010 Alysia rated it liked it
I have really loved Carol's other books, but I just wasn't as drawn into this one. It was still good, though.
Inspired Kathy
May 14, 2009 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
I would call this typical Mormon Fiction. Totally predictable. But I enjoy Mormon Fiction so I enjoyed this book.
Kristen Robison
May 20, 2011 Kristen Robison rated it liked it
I Love Carol Warburtons books, this is my least favorite though of them all. It just didn't work for me.
Haley
May 01, 2009 Haley rated it it was amazing
Soooo good, i loved it, a difint yes to anyone who is wondering about this book.
Dec 19, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Story about Matthew's adventure in Old Mexico and the colony of Mormon settlers.
May 01, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
Good book! But I thought it was a little cheesy, and very predictable.
Cristy
May 05, 2011 Cristy rated it liked it
It didn't compare to her other books but still good.
Rlsjohnson11
Sep 29, 2012 Rlsjohnson11 rated it really liked it
This has an intresting twist with the twins. It enjoyed it.
Melissa
WOuld have been a great book if it had been written better.
Mar 16, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Interesting setting but the story was clunky at times.
Kaitlyn
Jun 17, 2009 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was sooooooo good.
Natalie
Apr 30, 2012 Natalie rated it did not like it
Eh. Just couldn't get into it.
  • Winter Fire
  • The Windswept Flame
  • Promise of Zion (Barrington Family Saga, #4)
  • Breaking Point
  • Traitor
  • My Enemy, My Love
  • Servant to a King
  • Don't Cry Wolf
  • Backlash (Saint Squad, #4)
  • A Fresh Start in Fairhaven (The Fairhaven Chronicles, #1)
  • Delicious Conversation
  • Journey of Honor
  • How to Stuff a Wild Zucchini
  • To Have or to Hold
  • Belonging to Heaven
  • The Believer
  • Believe in What You're Doing; Believe in Who You Are
  • Cankered Roots (Alex and Briggie #1)