Start by marking “Starchild Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Starchild Trilogy

Starchild Trilogy (Starchild)

The Reefs of Space brings humanity to the brink of the stars. Steve Ryeland, enslaved by Earth's tyrannical Plan of Man computer, is given the world's most important job: to develop a "jetless drive," an extraordinary new space propulsion mechanism. Yet the most important thing on Steve's mind was not his work, but the iron collar locked securely around his neck. Filled wi ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 442 pages
Published December 1st 1977 by Pocket Books (NY) (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Starchild Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starchild Trilogy

Erin
Feb 02, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I try really hard not to make references from this book, because so few people will get them. I read this about the same time I read the LotR set, which seems to have effected other people in the way Starchild effected me.
Kristin
Writing: 4
Story: 3
Satisfaction: 2

The Starchild Trilogy is very well written and the worldbuilding is immersive. The story lines are also interesting and well built out but unfortunately each leaves with an unsatisfying conclusion. The way that the story is told, it builds up this huge expectation of an awesome climax which never really occurs, the "book" ends and it's on to the next story set far in the future. It's interesting to read about how this society progresses, through different dystopi
Mathew Whitney
The Starchild Trilogy is a collection of three novels by Frederik Pohl and Jack Williamson: The Reefs of Space, Starchild, and Rogue Star. The books share the exploration of similar ideas about the struggle between man and government, religion, higher intelligence, etc. and a common timeline. Starchild picks up far enough after The Reefs of Space that the events of the previous book are important, but not necessary to the understanding of the second book. The gap between Starchild and Rogue Star ...more
Thompson
The third book in this trilogy is Rogue Star. A couple of characters back on earth create a rogue star. A rogue star is sentient but doesn't interact with any of the other sentient beings or stars that fill the universe. The rogue star (it is actually the second rogue star the characters create) is the ultimate Frankenstein's monster, bent on destruction after a woman rejects its love.
A. S.
Aug 10, 2009 A. S. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started off with a really interesting premise for the first book. It was fast-paced and described the world in great detail. As the books progressed, however, they got progressively more dull and the worlds were not described as well so the reader cannot get a sense of plot or cohesiveness between the books. The heroes and heroines are a mixed bag: while Steve Ryland, Donna Creery, Quarla Snow, and Cliff Hawk make complex, or at least truly heroic characters, Boise Gann, Andy Quam, and ...more
Marc
Nov 01, 2013 Marc rated it liked it
It was hard to decide what to rate this, since the three novels inside were of widely different quality. Overall, big flashy ideas but the execution ranged from pedestrian to truly regrettable. But still enough big, flashy ideas to really spark the imagination and save it from being a waste of time.

My suggestion would be to seek out the first The Reefs of Space, enjoy it as a product of its time (while laughing at the "science") and then forget that anything came after.
Katy Hexberg
I found the idea of a culture that turns its destiny over to a computer very interesting but that culture was overturned at the end of the second book. The characters are not evenly developed. I especially found the women characters to be one dimensional. It was written in the early 1960's so you have to cut some slack there.
Karen
Jun 14, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked the first book best, then the third. The second I was just confused the entire time. They were pretty good books. I liked a lot of the sci-fi elements. He had some really cool things in there, but sometimes I felt left hanging in the storylines.
Kimberly
This book was interesting --- I love sci-fi so from that perspective it was good. I found it a little hard to read --- it was slow read, but it was a good story and very sci-fi!
Serenitydots
Aug 22, 2010 Serenitydots rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imaginative, fast-paced read, with very interesting scientific and technological concepts. A good read.
Erik Graff
Jul 27, 2009 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pohl fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
A fair page-turner of a science fiction trilogy. For reasons I cannot recall, I read the first two volumes of it in this cloth edition and the third in paperback.
Noa
Feb 16, 2009 Noa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ver interesting. It started out with a bang, the first book was amazing. But as time progressed it got more and more boring. The second book was okay. I didn't even finish the third.
A.R.
Jul 28, 2013 A.R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many years ago, but as I currently have some free time on my hands I am going back through the archives to see what I loved about it.
Casey Lynn
Casey Lynn rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2012
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Stephen Pahl
Stephen Pahl rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Thomas
Thomas rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2011
John Macgregor
John Macgregor rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Helena
Helena rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2016
Dan Edwards
Dan Edwards rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2010
Vulch
Vulch rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Tracey
Tracey rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Art
Art rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2008
Scott Stewart
Scott Stewart rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Scott Kent
Scott Kent rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Cary Ballew-Renfro
Cary Ballew-Renfro rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Neil Clement
Neil Clement rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
John Heinz
John Heinz rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Rob Thomas
Rob Thomas rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Krait
Krait rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2009
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Nothing Sacred
  • The Hollow Lands (Dancers at the End of Time, #2)
  • Shakespeare's Planet
  • Earthclan
  • Monument
  • The Chantry Guild (Childe Cycle, #9)
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • Coils
  • Retief Unbound (Jaime Retief Series #10)
  • Players at the Game of People
  • Vendetta for the Saint
  • The Big Time
  • Exiles To Glory
  • Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (Film)
  • The Wooden Spaceships (Land and Overland Series, #2)
  • The Legion of Space
  • The Four Lords of the Diamond (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #1-4)
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor and fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited Galaxy magazine and its sister magazine IF winning the Hugo for IF three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...

Starchild (3 books)
  • The Reefs of Space
  • Starchild
  • Rogue Star (Starchild 3)