Start by marking “Llana of Gathol (Barsoom, #10)” as Want to Read:
Llana of Gathol (Barsoom, #10)

Llana of Gathol (Barsoom #10)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,681 ratings  ·  46 reviews
"Llano of Gathol" is a collection of four novellas written in the Martian series of Edgar Rice Burroughs which was written for Amazing Stories in 1941. Llano, the daughter of Gahan of Gothol, is the perfect damsel in distress. "The Llano of Gathol" consists of four stories. First "The Ancient Dead" (originally "The City of Mummies") followed by "The Black Pirates of Barsoo ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published July 12th 1979 by Del Rey (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Llana of Gathol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Llana of Gathol

Jim
Not really a 4 star book unless you really like ERB & the Barsoom series. This is one of the best in that series.
Derek
I didn't realize that Burroughs was parodying himself until after I finished. In hindsight, the parodic elements were certainly present: three strange lost/hidden/secret cities, each with strict "no leaving" policies; a damsel in distress that appears apparently on cue; yet another poor deluded maid who falls head-over-heels for John Carter in time to render assistance in escape; and a seeming conga-line of swordmen (each claiming to be the best of Barsoom) for Carter to dramatically and extrava ...more
Curtiss
Probably the weakest of the Barsoom series, as Edgar Rice Burroughs resorts to a bit of parody of his own earlier stories by casting John Carter's granddaughter, Llana, daughter of Tara & Gahan of Gathol, in the role originally reserved for her grandmother, 'the incomparable' Deja Thoris.

These stories are not high art, or even good sci-fi/fantasy; but they are terrific yarns with exotic Barsoomian locales, fantastic beasts, flamboyant princesses, dastardly villains, and cliff-hanging adventu
Ikonopeiston
Dec 19, 2008 Ikonopeiston rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys classical fantasy
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
This is an absolute joy. Burroughs must have had enormous fun writing this because it is as full of adventure as a pudding is of raisins. It is like reading one of the old movie series which would end with cliff-hanger after cliff-hanger. Heroes are threatened with certain death; beautiful, pure maidens are kidnapped and risk ravishment. Swords clash; airships are hi-jacked; pirates proliferate; dead cities are not quite as dead as they look. This is wonderful brain candy. It redeems much of the ...more
Scott Cook
I should write a review of the plot in these reviews for my own memory. I had to check out the Barsoom wiki when Tan Hadron of Hastor shows up. He was the protagonist of "A Fighting Man of Mars". There were a lot of other cameos from characters in past books and I had to look up every one of them but I was happy to see them sho up in this one. Most of them are slaves of course that were captured after their flyer broke down over the remote and unknown city of ______. The book was great moving fa ...more
Ayaj Khan ( বন্ধন )
After a long long time finally had the opportunity to get back to Barsoom. And i enjoyed every moment of it. Llana of Gathol is a collection of four novellas with a bit parody. Though there isn't any genuine John carter all out navy warfare but a brief glimse, there are great duels. The four novellas are interconnected and the main theme is making impossible escapes with a intact ass. ;) It'll be a great short read for ERB fans but for others i'm not so sure. Though it's named after the granddau ...more
Robert Saunders
These were considered "planetary romances" according to one source back when this series from the creator of Tarzan, Edgar Rice Burroughs, was written. This series of about 10 books started in 1912 and culminated around 1948. There's an odd mention of a book in 1964, but the other had been dead for 14 years by then. Plus there are a few shorts published in some pulp periodicals of the 1940s (where many of these stories appeared in years prior).

Today we call this stuff sci-fi, but it's quite diff
Matt
Jun 21, 2008 Matt rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of ERB's 'Barsoom' stories only
This is the 10th book of the 11 'Barsoom' books of Edgar Rice Burroughs, and I believe the last one published in his lifetime. The real weak point in the 'Barsoom' books is always the quality of writing, and in this one it just becomes so bad that its flaws are glaring to anyone past junior high. Additionally, as with many of the latter books, large passages of exposition are simply lifted from earlier books, and this already thin book suffers from really being two thinner stories squashed somew ...more
Patrick
The last of the "full stories" in the Barsoom series. This one, as others have pointed out, does poke gentle fun at some of the conventions of the series. Yet another example of hareing off after a woman in distress, this time John Carter's Granddaughter.

This one is billed as four short novels, but it's really just a single story with its parts disarticulated so as to create novelettes for serial publication in some magazine. No less cohesive than any of the other novels.

Other than the humor and
Sandy
"Llana of Gathol" is the 10th of 11 John Carter of Mars books that Edgar Rice Burroughs left to the world. This book is comprised of four linked short tales that first appeared in "Amazing Stories Magazine" from March to October 1941. Each of these stories is around 50 pages in length and is made up of 13 very short chapters.

In the first tale, "The Ancient Dead," John Carter goes for a spin in his flier to get away from it all, and winds up in the ancient Barsoomian city of Horz. This long-dead
Joe Aguiar
Tenth book in ERB's Martian Tales brings John Carter back into the forefront and again have him setting off to rescue a damsel, this time his granddaughter, the beautiful Llana of Gathol. Llana has been targeted by a mad conquerer named Hin Abtol who not only wants Llana for his harem but, wants to rule all of Barsoom. Carter's quest to rescue her and stop the mad Abtol takes him from a dead city that is not so dead to Abtol's frozen kingdom at the Martian polar cap to a bizarre invisible city i ...more
Joseph
Maybe a 3.25; probably not quite a 3.5. This is one of Burroughs' late-period books, written as a series of four linked novelettes -- he did the same thing with late Tarzan, Venus and Pellucidar books. John Carter is the narrator again; he gets involved in a series of adventures mostly involving nations of red and black men who live near Mars' north pole (home of the yellow men in Warlord of Mars).

The stories themselves aren't bad; one thing I found jarring, however, was the frequent reuse of de
Stephen Brooke
Some of the old John Carter magic reappears in this late installment – the last complete novel – of the Barsoom series. Though it is more a quartet of related novelettes than a novel, perhaps.

And that may be a good thing, as it speeds the action along. Each episode is neatly played out and then off to the next! It’s not unlike a modern television drama/adventure series in this respect, self-contained stories within a larger arc.

‘Llana’ ends up being one of the more entertaining of Burroughs’s la
Fraser Sherman
Four novellas in Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoomian series, involving John Carter's efforts to stop a conqueror and protect his granddaughter Llana. Some good bits, but the serialized structure leads to Burroughs repeating himself way too often in different sections.
Richard Tolleson
This is one of the better books in the series, even though Burroughs is making fun of himself. The plot is repetitive, but it's exciting.
Chak
I'm not too bothered by spelling errors or overly gallant machismo in 50+ year old sci fi, so I was able to enjoy this book for what it was -- a non-stop danger and fighting fest for our superlative hero (best swordsman, most daring, greatest leader, etc.). And, hey, I like the cover. Is that so wrong?
Jessica Baumgartner
This was a great story (as always with Burroughs) but there is an entire section of it that is recycled from one of the earlier tales which was kind of annoying.
Kristy
I have completely given up on reading Burrough's Mars books in order, and that really isn't much of a problem. In this one, the heroic John Carter wanders the dying planet of Mars in search of his grandaughter, Llana of Gathol, fighting off a legion of the ancient dead, an army of frozen and then thawed warriors, a city of invisible people (who can only be seen under special lights), and a host of other challenges. Like all the Barsoom books, this combines the best of classic science fiction wit ...more
Bill Zodanga
Please note, this 5 star rating is based on my long ago memories of this book - I may have read it greater than 20 years ago. I recall reading and really liking it, and even kept the book to read again in the future (something I only do with good, or otherwise significant books). The memories of an old man are sometimes faulty so this could really only warrant 3.5 to 4.5 stars, instead of the 5 I gave it. Once I re-read the book I will update this rating/review to more accurately reflect my thou ...more
Neil
Four long short stories make up this 10th instalment in Burroughs Barsoom/ Mars series, they tell of four incidents along John Carters journey as he attempts to save Llana and return her to Gathol. The first "The Ancient Dead" aka "The city of mummies" is by far and away the best, the promise of which is never fulfilled in the other parts.
To rate the four parts separately I would give:
"The Ancient Dead" ****
"The Black Pirates of Barsoom" **
"Escape on Mars" ***
"Invisible Men of Mars" ***
Christopher
Lots of recycling in this one: four different cities no one has heard of, cut off from the rest of Mars; back to the north pole; another valley of the First Born; another scene where John Carter is man-handled by invisible people; etc. The coincidences are thick, as is the misogyny of the "I don't understand women" / "ah, women" variety. I'm not sure it's the worst of the Mars novels--it at least has some variety to it, where books 4-6 were more monotonous. But it's not in the top half.
Tony Santo
Another great book in Burroughs' "John Carter" series. One has the feeling of some repetition since this is the 10th in the series. Nevertheless, this like Burroughs' other stories is a captivating read, despite the way it spans cities, time and characters too numerous to remember. I was reminded once again how much of a visionary genius the author was. If you've seen it in a Star Wars or any other sci-fi movie, chances are it was pilferred from this or the companion books.
Mike
A series of fast paced adventure tales set on Barsoom. Unlike some of the other later Barsoom books, in this one the focus us back on John Carter, as he confronts Hin Abtol, an villainous jeddak from the far northern reaches of Barsoom. All the usual components of the Barsoom stories are here: Weird Martian societies, a damsel in distress (Carter's granddaughter), airships, unlikely coincidences and numerous sword fights. A fluffy bit of good fun.
Travis
More classic swashbuckling science fiction as John Carter and the Martian maiden of the title are trapped in a lost city and must fight to get past the city's decadent rulers.

While, I love Tarzan, John Carter and his adventures on Mars are my favorite Burroughs series. Manly men, buxom scantily clad women in need of rescuing , cool monsters, tons of action and wild, exotic settings.
One of the great fictional places.

Robb
Jan 17, 2009 Robb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids 13 and under
It's been so long since I've read these books that the details are lost in the mist of time. That said, I'm sure there are variations in the quality of story and prose throughout this series (it's Burroughs, after all), but I choose to remember the series as a whole, and rate it as I remember it through the eyes and mind of the child that read it for the first time...
Erik Graff
Jun 19, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Barsoom fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
The science in Burroughs' science fiction is generally on the level of the pre-war Flash Gorden serials shown at theatres when Dad was a boy and probably still shown on television. The formula for virtually all of the Burroughs stories is that a hero in an exotic environment must overcome numerous obstacles to rescue an attractive--and also exotic--girl.
Donna Montgomery
John Carter faces the standard set of inescapable cities and unexpected allies in an adventure that parodies the tropes of the earlier books. The humor makes this worth reading for Barsoom fans, but Carter comes across as more arrogant than he used to. He's also less than charitable when speaking about the behavior of his granddaughter, Llana.
Fredrick Danysh
One of the John Carter of Mars series. Carter is captured by the residents of a dead city. Sentenced to death and sent to the pits beneath the city, he and another find relics of a maritime race. Also in the pits is Llana of Gathol. It takes many months for Carter and his companion to attempt a rescue.
Samuel Valentino
One adventure after another, and a lot of fun for all that. The first-person narrator of John Carter is the best in this book, conversational and wry. I'm a little sad that it's the last real book of the series - there is one more, but it's a collection of 2 short stories. I've really enjoyed the series!
Kent
Out of the whole Mars series, this is problem my least favorite. It's another good adventure story, with action and narrow escapes, but it's kind of the same thing that's happened in the previous nine books. It's still a good read and introduces yet even more interesting people in the land of Barsoom.
  • Lord Of The Spiders Or Blades Of Mars (Michael Kane, Vol. 2)
  • Star Light (Mesklin, #3)
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • A Knight of Ghosts and Shadows
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • Space Viking
  • Masters of the Vortex (Lensman, #7)
  • Podkayne of Mars
  • Wasp
  • Deathworld Trilogy
  • The Lost Oasis (Doc Savage, #6)
  • The Sword of Rhiannon
  • The Spoils of War (The Damned, #3)
  • The Best of Cordwainer Smith
  • Greyhaven
  • The Phoenix on the Sword
  • Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #1)
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

Barsoom (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1)
  • The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2)
  • The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3)
  • Thuvia, Maid of Mars (Barsoom, #4)
  • The Chessmen of Mars (Barsoom, #5)
  • The Master Mind of Mars (Barsoom, #6)
  • A Fighting Man of Mars (Barsoom, #7)
  • Swords of Mars (Barsoom, #8)
  • Synthetic Men of Mars (Barsoom, #9)
  • John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #11)
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1) The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2) The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)