Start by marking “The Gendered Society” as Want to Read:
The Gendered Society

The Gendered Society

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  173 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Thoroughly updated and revised, the third edition of The Gendered Society explores current thinking about gender, both inside academia and in our everyday lives. Michael S. Kimmel challenges the claim that gender is limited to women's experiences--his compelling and balanced study of gender includes both masculine and feminine perspectives. Part 1 examines the latest work ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 20th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Gendered Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gendered Society

Christoph
An okay introduction to the topic of gender and society. Kimmel is especially good in showing how (cis)masculinity is not neutral and also gendered. He also debunks a lot of stereotypes and conservative, antifeminist arguments with evidence from empirical, sociological studies.
The book unfortunately sticks to a gender binary. Gay and lesbian masculinities/femininities are discussed, but trans* issues and examples are almost completely ignored. Written in 2000, the book and described examples, t
Kat
Nov 13, 2007 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new gender studies recruits, especially men
This book was obviously written to be a textbook for a 200-level sociology class, and as such it is very accessible (for scholarly writing) and also very broad in scope. Still, it's a delight to finally read a pro-feminist work on gender that treats men and masculinity as something as worthy of investigation as women and femininity. I'm really excited to read some of Kimmel's work that focuses more on masculinity specifically.
Brittany Bennett
Jan 08, 2008 Brittany Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
This is possibly the most important book I've ever read. It completely changed the way I think about gender and the way our society views gender norms. I highly recommend it to everyone; it will make you think about things in a totally different way.
Greg Stoll
Sep 14, 2014 Greg Stoll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got sent a copy of this book because it uses a version of my same-sex marriage map, so when I got it I flipped through to find it and then set it aside. David read through it and liked it a lot, so I decided to give it a read through, and it's really quite good!

The author's main points are:
- gender differences are quite exaggerated - there's much more variability inside a gender than between them. (think of two bell curves with slightly different means, or something like that)
- It sure seems l
Brian's Book Blog
I wish this had been less wordy. The author is great, an expert in the field of gender, but man does he use 50 words when 20 could do.

He also has a habit of telling 2 pages worth of data, just to follow it with, but that's now how things are now.

All-in-all it is probably one of the better books I have read for a college course, but still it's a college text book.
Anna
Mar 02, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only problem with this book is that it only shows American context. Witch is understandable, since this is the context it was written for, but for European (Polish specificly) people things look slightly different sometimes.
Peter Owens
Jul 28, 2014 Peter Owens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kimmel again asks the right questions, ones that should change the way we think about gender and related social constructs.
Andy
Intersting book on gender differences that may or may not exist. The writing style is clear and concise, not at all overly scientific, even when discussing various studies. The examples for the hypotheses are often interesting, but sometimes just a little too long and detailed; this is distracting in some chapters, e.g. because you forget what point the author really wanted to make when discussing countless sexual practices in different cultures.

Overall, definitely recommendable to everyone who
Carlos Burga
May 20, 2014 Carlos Burga rated it really liked it
This book was simply amazing and would suggest it as required reading for everyone who thinks that sexism is a thing of the past. It was incredibly eye opening (even for a so-called feminist) to all aspects in which one fails to see the destructive influence of sexism. It brought all points of view and raised issues that I didn't even know existed. Definitely a must read for anyone.
Isaiah
It was an interesting read. It was used in a sociology of gender class I was taking. It is a book that should be read with Gender Psychological Perspectives. They are both great books and one aids the other become an amazing resource. There are many points in this book that made me angry (mostly the inaccuracies), but that is why another source is needed.
Anne Holly
Dec 26, 2011 Anne Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching-related
Certainly one of the more interesting gender studies texts, and a great rounding out of the field by the heightened awareness of masculinity studies.
Michelle
Jul 27, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, balanced. Unique perspective about gender inequality *causing* gender differences instead of vice versa.
Sam
Aug 17, 2008 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot from this book, and it opened my eyes to many gender issues that I'd never considered before.
Grant
Aug 26, 2008 Grant is currently reading it
This is a book for a Sociology class I'm taking this semester. I'll post on it soon.
Hallie Huffman
Better as it progressed. Slow starter, since the beginning felt overly technical.
Cassandra
Kimmel is cute and got me all excited about gender and stuff.
Chelsea
Dec 03, 2011 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was for a class but it was actually intriguing.
Tiffany
Apr 21, 2016 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book! Enlightening!
Aimee Wilson
Jan 18, 2013 Aimee Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites!
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Arto
Arto added it
Apr 18, 2016
Anastasiya
Anastasiya marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Thiago D'carlo
Thiago D'carlo marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Tamara Zargaryan
Tamara Zargaryan marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Ess
Ess rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Peter Warila
Peter Warila marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Olayinka
Olayinka marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
  • The Gendered Society Reader
  • Just One of the Guys?: Transgender Men and the Persistence of Gender Inequality
  • Deep Secrets: Boys' Friendships and the Crisis of Connection
  • Refusing to be a Man: Essays on Sex and Justice
  • Do Muslim Women Need Saving?
  • Bananas, Beaches and Bases: Making Feminist Sense of International Politics
  • Men and Feminism: Seal Studies
  • The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy
  • Women without Class: Girls, Race, and Identity
  • Southern Horrors: Women and the Politics of Rape and Lynching
  • Feminist Theory Reader: Local and Global Perspectives
  • Hey, Shorty!: A Guide to Combating Sexual Harassment and Violence in Schools and on the Streets
  • The Truth That Never Hurts: Writings on Race, Gender, and Freedom
  • Deal With It: A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain and Life as a gURL
  • Homophobia: A Weapon of Sexism
  • Feminist Thought: A More Comprehensive Introduction
  • Masculinities
  • White Women, Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness
Michael Scott Kimmel is an American sociologist, specializing in gender studies. He is among the leading researchers and writers on men and masculinity in the world today. The author or editor of more than twenty volumes, his books include The Politics of Manhood, and The History of Men (2005).

His documentary history, "Against the Tide: Pro-Feminist Men in the United States, 1776-1990" (Beacon, 19
More about Michael S. Kimmel...